email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Amateur Star Khytrov Crushes Nava in Pro Debut
- Boxing Buzz
- Johnson retires Gunn with 80-72 shutout
- Condit-Woodley Headed to Dallas
- Johnson-Gunn slashed to eight rounds. No WBU title on the line.
- Weights from Abu Dhabi
- Ramirez/Ramirez twinbill slated for UniMas Feb 1
- Hitz Boxing announces Jan 31, Feb 28 cards
- Orlando Salido Blanket Drive/Meet & Greet
- Golovkin to get WBA "super" title, Murray-Fletcher meet for WBA "regular" title, both to fight on same card in Monte Carlo
ESPN Friday Night Fights invades Pechanga Resort Casino in Temecula, CA on February 12 featuring the dangerous Tyrone Harris 25-5-0, 16 KO against the highly touted Korean Puncher Ji-Hoon Kim 19-5-0, 16 KO in a 10 round jr. lightweight bout. The undercard will feature some great young talent including Russian prospect Ruslan Provodnick in a 10 round co-feature. Also on the card will be a local favorite from Temecula, welterweight Dashon Johnson 8-2-2, 4 KO in a 6 round bout. One of the United States’ top young amateurs, Garret Simon, will make his California debut in the heavyweight division in a four round bout. Legendary heavyweight champion Smokin’ Joe Frazier on hand to sign autographs and meet the fans. The show will feature a total of 6 bouts and be broadcast live on ESPN2, beginning at 6:00 p.m.
The WBA has called a purse bid for a showdown between WBA super lightweight champion Amir Khan and interim titleholder Marcos Maidana. The bidding will take place at 11AM on Monday, January 18th at the WBA’s Panama office. The bidding will be directed by Gilberto Jesus Mendoza and Jose Oliver Gomez.
By Rick Scharmberg
Mike “No Joke” Stewart (44-7-2, 23 KOs), of New Castle, DE, returns to the ring on Friday, February 26 at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino in Dover, Delaware. Stewart will face WBF welterweight champion Brandon “The Business” Baue (12-3, 10 KOs), of Troy, Missouri in the eight-round main event. The co-feature will pit New Castle’s “Rockin’” Ryan Belasco (11-4-3, 3, 3 KOs) taking on Julias Edmunds (5-6), of Philadelphia in an interesting welterweight bout. (more…)
The IBF held a purse bid today for the IBF Mini Flyweight Championship mandatory defense between champion Raul Garcia and Nkosinathi Joyi. Branco Sports Productions won with a bid of $ 160,000 over Top Rank’s bid of $125,000. The winning bidder has 90 days to put the fight on.
Super middleweight prospect Donovan “Da Bomb” George (18-0-1, 16 KOs) will face off against Minnesota’s Phil “The Drill” Williams (11-2, 10 KOs) on January 29th in the main event at Chicago’s UIC Pavilion. “With 26 knockouts amongst their 29 victories these two should provide an all action fight from the start. They’re both very hard hitting super middleweights, it will just be a matter of who can take the other guy’s shot better, “Da Bomb or the The Drill” said Dominic Pesoli, President of 8 Count Productions. “This truly is a crossroads fight for both guys, for each one it’s the toughest test of their careers.” The co-main event brings the return of power punching Chicago based prospect Ivan Popoca (12-0-1, 8 KOs) in an eight round welterweight battle against impressive Michigan newcomer Federico Flores Jr. (6-3, 2 KOs). Also just added, undefeated Chicago welterweights Ryan Smedick (4-0-1, 1 KO) and Achour Esho (5-0, 4 KOs) will square off in a scheduled six rounder, the first for each prospect.
Anthony Mundine’s decision to forego a quest for the International Boxing Organization’s junior middleweight title next week in Australia is his own – and not based on undue influence or conflict from the IBO – according to its president, Ed Levine. Mundine had been scheduled to meet Robert Medley for the IBO’s vacant 154-pound championship on Jan. 11 in Sydney, but the fight – if held at all – will no longer be for the IBO belt and is more likely to be fought at middleweight, Levine said. A January 6 report in the Sydney Morning Herald cited Mundine’s displeasure with the IBO stemming from review of his May defeat of Daniel Geale for the organization’s 160-pound title – which Mundine relinquished upon requesting sanction for the 154-pound bout with Medley. Levine, however, said it’s more likely Mundine’s decision is based on other factors. “Our opinion is that Mundine’s current failure to honor his contractual obligations to the IBO and Medley are purely based on his inability to make the weight and/or his reluctance to accept two international officials and the costs attendant to putting on a world title fight,” Levine said. (more…)
Unbeaten WBO Inter-Continental cruiserweight champion Denis Lebedev of Russia (19-0, 14 KOs) will next take on Ignacio Esparza (16-1, 12 KOs) of Mexico. The bout will take place February 22nd in Russia.
In the last 18 months, fast-growing promoter TKO Boxing has, literally, appeared out of nowhere to rack up 30 shows. During the next 12 months, there are another 30 shows in the works. Fightnews.com recently sat down with the company’s president, Chet Koerner, to discuss TKO’s future . . . Click here for more
By Ray Wheatley–World of Boxing
Former world title challenger Robert Medley is confident of defeating Anthony Mundine next Monday at the Entertainment Center in Sydney, NSW, Australia. Medley’s trainer Graham Shaw said, “Rob has looked great in the gym in sensational sparring sessions against WBO rated 168 pounder Peter Kariuki and also his world middleweight contender Daniel Geale. He is physically and mentally 100% ready to defeat Mundine. We have the advantage of having Daniel Geale as a sparring partner. Medley and Geale have sparred each other on a regular basis for over three years. Geale defeated Mundine last May but did not get the decision. The Mundine vs Medley is now being contested at the middleweight poundage (160) instead of the originally agreed weight of 154 pounds. I knew Mundine would have trouble making that weight — he struggles to make middleweight. Next Monday, Mundine is in for one of his toughest fights against Medley who is totally focused.” Televised nationally on Foxtel Main Event Pay-Per View. Promoter: Tony Mundine Sr.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
The possibility exists that current IBF featherweight world champion Cristobal “Lacandon” Cruz of Mexico could defend his crown against countryman former WBO bantamweight champion Jhonny González. Other options for Cruz include a rematch with Ricardo “Piolo” Castillo, with whom he had a three round technical draw last December 19 in Chiapas, Mexico. Other sources mentioned February 27 as a possible date with a location to be determined, possibly again in Chiapas, Mexico.
The Association of Boxing Commissions Compliance Committee has directed Fight Fax to list all future boxing results which occur on the Isleta reservation to be listed as non-supervised fights. The ABC sent a letter to the Isleta Athletic Commission on December 16th asking their commission to prove their legal existence. No response was received by the ABC, therefore, the ABC Compliance Committee felt it necessary to take action. (more…)
The interim WBC lightweight champion, Antonio DeMarco (23-1-1, 17 KOs) of Los Mochis, MX, began his training camp mid December in his adopted hometown of Tijuana, MX, for his challenge for the full fledged WBC title of Venezuela’s Edwin Valero (26-0, 26 KOs) on February 6th in Monterrey, MX. “We had a good rest, we went home to Los Mochis and I visited my family. We got back and began training in mid December. They called us about the fight and we came back to train, it’s not such a big deal, this is our work and it is what we love to do and we are ready,” DeMarco stated after an intense training session. (more…)
By Rick Scharmberg
Former “Contender Season One” star Ahmed “Babyface” Kaddour (21-2-1, 9 KOs), of Aarhus, Denmark has signed a standard three-year deal with promoter Nedal Abuhumoud, of New Jersey. Kaddour recently returned to the ring after nearly three years with a decision over Mike Ermis on September 9, 2009 in Denmark. Nedal is also making a comeback after a year out of the sport due to the illness and subsequent passing of his father. Nedal initially brought Lebanon-born Kaddour to the USA back in 2003. (more…)
The IBF/WBO/IBO heavyweight champion has been making headlines not for his exploits in the ring, but for the beauties he’s being seen with. According to Access Hollywood, Klitschko was spotted with “Heroes” star Hayden Panettiere on New Year’s day at the Fontainebleau Resort in Miami Beach. Meanwhile in a BILD story, Klitschko spoke about his approach to women. “I am a man. And men are still hunters nowadays,” said Wlad. “I much prefer to approach women than the other way round. It is best when they reject at first. A ‘no’ is an excellent challenge. Then it starts to get fun! It is best for me if the women do not know me at all.”
Two world titles will be on the line for the first time in 2010 when the Ultimate Fighting Championship® returns to the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey for UFC 111: ST-PIERRE vs HARDY, Saturday, March 27th, live on Pay-Per-View and presented by TapouT. In featured bouts, one of the best fighters in the game today, UFC® welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, looks to extend his reign and his six fight winning streak against British bomber Dan “The Outlaw” Hardy, and former heavyweight champion Frank Mir looks to become only the second man in UFC history to win the championship three times when he takes on number one contender Shane Carwin for the interim UFC heavyweight title. (more…)
World Extreme Cagefighting® announced today that MusclePharm will serve as the organization’s Official Sports Nutrition Company for 2010. Considered a leader in the sports nutrition industry, MusclePharm is committed to providing the best nutritional products to athletes and general consumers. MusclePharm’s commitment to athletes, in particular mixed martial artists, made the partnership attractive to WEC officials. (more…)
Fox Sports en Español and Top Rank announced today the launch of an exciting new boxing series – “Top Rank Live.” The two-hour broadcast will air live on Fox Sports en Español on Saturdays, three times per month, beginning at 10 p.m. ET. The series will debut on Saturday, January 16, 2010, from the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. At least one show per month will originate directly from Mexico. “Top Rank is thrilled to bring world-class boxing on a regular basis to cable and satellite TV viewers across the country,” said Todd duBoef, President of Top Rank. “We have found wonderful partners in the Fox Network Family. This new series will not only offer all-action cards but will allow fans to follow these fighters as they return from victories marching up the ratings toward world title shots. It’s a project Top Rank has been developing for years and Fox Sports Español is the perfect vehicle.” (more…)
Jimmy Burchfield’s Classic Entertainment and Sports, kicks off the new year on January 22nd with unbeaten junior welterweights “Hammerin’” Hank Lundy (16-0-1, 10 KOs) and Brad Solomon (9-0, 3 KOs) battling in the 10-round main event at The Roxy in Boston’s famed Theater District. The 6-round co-feature pits intra-state rivals Chris Traietti (8-1, 5 KOs), an Iraq War veteran from Quincy, and dangerous Lawrence super middleweight Eddie Caminero (5-3, 5 KOs). Undefeated junior welterweight and 2008 U.S. Olympic Team alternate, nearby Framingham’s Danny O’Connor (10-0, 3 KOs), meets former Canadian welterweight title challenger Darelle “Red” Sukerow (14-15-1, 5 KOs) in a 6-rounder. (more…)
Steve Smith’s Rumble Time Promotions returns on January 15 at the Pageant Delmar Loop in St. Louis, Missouri. Light heavyweights Kevin Engal (17-2, 14 KOs) and Julius Fogle (15-1, 10 KOs) meet again in what looks like a good main event. This will be a rematch of a fight in August which was stopped in the second round due to a cut. Also fighting are St. Louis area fighters Dannie Williams, Ryan David, Lamarr Harris, Jamal Parram, Tyrone Chatman, Timmy Connors, Wesley Blanks and the talented amateur Stephon Young. Tickets ($45-$250) are available through Ticketmaster, the Pageant Box Office or by calling (314) 607-9850.
31 wins in 31 professional fights-that is the impressive record that Arthur Abraham brings with him into the new year. And to ensure the winning streak of the Super Six World Boxing Classic tournament leader carries on unabated in the new year, Sauerland Event general manager Chris Meyer has come up with a fantastic and novel surprise for coach Ulli Wegner’s pupil. He has seen to it personally that the first high pressure front of the new year – the ‘High Arthur’ – has been named after the Sauerland Team’s boxing champion. “We are firmly counting on Arthur exhilarating his fans again in the new year with his performances. Therefore, we wanted to make him smile with this gesture,” explained Meyer. The Institute for Meteorology at Berlin’s Freie University made it possible. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.