email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Pacquiao vs Marquez 5?
- More Camera Clicks from Macau
- Rhodes, Omotoso, Estrada victorious at Sportsman's Lodge
- Unbeaten heavyweight Dillian Whyte returns
- Weights from Queens, NY
- Weights from Ontario, Ca
- Weights from Tulsa
- Lane: Chris will dominate Pacquiao / Roach: Manny wants a knockout
- Weights from Quebec
- Jennings waiting for Stiverne-Wilder winner
- Cleverly-Bellew heats up at press conference
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
It has been announced that Costa Rican WBA interim super featherweight champion Bryan Vasquez will not be fighting on the undercard of Pacquiao-Algieri on November 22 in Macao, China. Word is that Top Rank wants to move his planned defense against Diego Magdaleno to February and offered Vasquez a November fight in Texas. However, Vasquez, who had been training in the United States since August, has instead returned to Costa Rica and is now looking making a defense in November or December in Costa Rica.
By Gabriel F Cordero
WBC interim middleweight champion Marco Antonio “Veneno” Rubio is in the final stage of his preparation to face WBA middleweight world champion Gennedy “GGG” Golovkin on October 18 at the StubHub Center in Carson, California. “I feel very confident and focused for this fight and training with Robert Garcia gives me the confidence to know that I can have a big win over Golovkin,” said Rubio. “I’m ready to give my best and risk everything at all times.”
The running theme of The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America this season has been a running beatdown by Team Velasquez, as they’ve dominated Team Werdum through the team competition to this point in the season. Outside of the upkick from hell that Marlon Vera delivered to Henry Briones in the fifth fight of the season, it’s been a virtual shutout for the Mexican side as the victories just continue to pile up . . . . Click here for more at UFC.com
. . . .
COMING UP NEXT: UFC 179: ALDO VS. MENDES is LIVE on PPV on Saturday, October 25 at 10 PM ET/7 PM PT . . . Click here for more
“Pacquiao is an easy fight,” says Floyd Mayweather Sr. about the forever-discussed, mythical showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Mayweather Jr. More
Kell Brook vows to come back stronger. More
Carl Froch will have a Nottingham tram named after him. More
Nonito Donaire is not intimidated by Nicholas Walters’ threats. More
Undefeated #2-world-rated super middleweight contender Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez (29-0, 23 KOs), of Mazatlan, Mexico, two-time Mexican Olympian and undefeated featherweight knockout artist Óscar Valdez (13-0, 11 KOs), of Nogales, Mexico, undefeated local lightweight prospect Ivan Najera (14-0, 8 KOs), of San Antonio, and undefeated super featherweight Casey Ramos (18-0, 5 KO), of Austin, Texas, will join Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum at a San Antonio press conference on Thursday to announce their November 15 boxing card at the Alamodome. Promoted by Top Rank and Zapari Boxing Promotions, in association with Tecate, the Ramirez / Valdez / Najera San Antonio boxing event will be televised live exclusively on HBO Latino, beginning at 9:45 p.m. ET/PT.
Opponents for the four unbeaten fighters will be named.
Due to a persistent ankle injury, Canelo Alvarez must withdraw from his December 6 bout. He thanks his fans for their support and looks forward to big things in 2015 on HBO. Golden Boy Promotions and HBO are reviewing their options for the December 6 date.
In his last fight in April, heavyweight Amir Mansour, 42, lost a brutally contested unanimous 10-round decision to former cruiserweight champion Steve Cunningham, whom Mansour outweighed, 222.5-to-206. “Amir is an exciting fighter who has just got to get himself back into mix,” said promoter J Russell Peltz of Mansour, who dropped the 38-year-old Cunningham in the fifth only to be later out-hustled and floored in the 10th. “He doesn’t seem to be discouraged by the fact that he’s 42 and that he hasn’t fought since April. That’s just where he stands. We just have to get Amir back into the ring and then he’s just got to get his name back out there by blowing somebody out of the water.”
Mansour (20-1, 15 knockouts) will attempt to do just when he returns to action on Nov. 8 at the Sands Casino Resort in Bethlehem, Pa., where he will again face a much younger fighter in Fred Kassi (18-2, 10 KOs) as part of NBC Sports Network’s “Fight Night” program that is being promoted by Main Events. (more…)
The ten-round co-feature on Wednesday’s ESPN2-televised Soliman-Taylor card at the Beau Rivage Resort & Casino in Biloxi, Mississippi, will pit super middleweights Andre “The Matrix” Dirrell (22-1, 15 KOs) from Flint, Mich., fighting out of Boca Raton, Fla., against New York’s Nick “The Machine Gun” Brinson (16-2-2, 6 KOs). Dirrell, a former super middleweight world title challenger, scored a fifth-round TKO win over Vladine Biosse in his last fight, while Brinson is looking to rebound from a 10-round unanimous decision loss to Dominic Wade.
Dirrell, brother of current WBC super middleweight champion Anthony Dirrell, is a 45:1 favorite.
The Ultimate Fighting Championship® announced that its first live event in Phoenix, on Saturday, Dec. 13 at US Airways Center, will be headlined by a pivotal heavyweight clash between former UFC® heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos and fourth-ranked Stipe Miocic. The event will also feature at least five competitors with Arizona ties. (more…)
Two-time cruiserweight world champion and current top-10 heavyweight contender Steve “USS” Cunningham and his family would like to thank the boxing community for the contributions to the Kennedy Cunningham Fundraiser on www.heartbyfaith.com. Kennedy Cunnungham is the 9 year-old daughter of Steve & Livvy Cunningham and is awaiting a life-saving heart transplant surgery. The fundraiser was set up this summer with the proceeds going to out of pocket expenses for the Cunningham’s which included finding a new home close to the hospital for the potential surgery in Pittsburgh. Within the two months, the goal of $25,000 was reached with most of the donations coming from members of the boxing industry. (more…)
By Joe Koizumi
World-rated Suguru Muranaka (21-2-1, 7 KOs), 112, impressively kept his national flyweight belt when he embalmed Yusuke Sakashita (12-5-2, 7 KOs), 112, with a single right shot at 2:42 of the eighth round on Saturday in Tokyo, Japan. As they furiously exchanged hot rallies from the outset, it became a very competitive affair with the open scoring of all 48-47 in the champ’s favor after the fifth session. Sakashita, much better than expected, rained a barrage of light but sharp straight punches to the champ, who retaliated with more damaging combinations to the face and the midsection. Muranaka, a persistent puncher, finally caught the game challenger with a breathtaking right, which put him prone to the deck with the referee Tsuchiya declaring a stoppage without taking a count (therefore, to be registered as a TKO, not a KO). People hadn’t regarded the champ as a hard-puncher, but he proved he could punch with his astounding power this night, if not compared with newly crowned WBC ruler Roman Gonzalez. Muranaka is currently rated WBC#5/WBA#8/WBO#6/IBF#5.
Promoter: Flash Akabane Promotions.
The rematch between Odlanier Solis and Tony Thompson originally planned to take place on October 18th at the Castello in Dusseldorf, Germany, has to be postponed after “La Sombra” Solis suffered a sprained ankle in training in Miami. “I flew straight to Miami when I heard of the injury to see how bad it is”, says promoter Ahmet Oner. “Fortunately, the doctor says that no ligaments have been torn and nothing is broken. Solis has to take a break in training for ten days but can go right back to work after that. So we will definitely do the fight before the end of the year. Right now we are looking at November 22 as new date but we have to reconfirm with all parties involved including team Thompson, the venue, TV etc. We want to keep the show at Castello in Dusseldorf so that the already sold tickets would still be valid.”
Heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko is back in training camp, preparing for his fight against Kubrat Pulev on November 15th in Hamburg.
IBF middleweight champion Sam Soliman is a -330 favorite to defeat Jermain Taylor on Wednesday night in a bout televised by ESPN2 from the Beau Rivage Resort & Casino in Biloxi, Mississippi. Taylor backers can get +270. The 40-year-old Soliman will be making a career high payday for the first defense of the belt he won against Felix Sturm in May.
Meanwhile, Taylor, who will be making his first start of 2014, has vowed to upset the odds, proclaiming on video via his Instagram account that he’ll “never lose to another white boy.” Jermain has the added distraction of two pending felony charges stemming from a shooting at his home in August.
By Karl Freitag
After a span of 2.5 months without boxing, HBO will be back with one telecast in October, two in November (plus one PPV), and it looks like two in December.
On October 18, the network will televise a doubleheader with WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin vs. Marco Antonio Rubio, plus a terrific WBA featherweight title showdown between Nonito Donaire and Nicholas Walters.
On November 8, it will be the WBA/IBF/WBO light heavyweight unification clash between Bernard Hopkins and Sergey Kovalev, plus welterweight contenders Luis Abregu vs. Sadam Ali.
On November 22 is the big Manny Pacquiao-Chris Algieri PPV event from Macau, China.
On November 29 is WBO lightweight champ Terence Crawford defending against Raymundo Beltran and IBF feather champ Evgeny defending against Jayson Velez.
Expected but still not official are bouts on December 6 between jr middleweights Canelo Alvarez and Joshua Clottey, and on December 13 between welterweights Timothy Bradley and Diego Chaves.
Meanwhile, Showtime’s lineup at the moment has only one confirmed date, a November 1 tripleheader featuring light heavyweight contender Andrzej Fonfara vs. Doudou Ngumbu, a WBO bantamweight title showdown between Tomoki Kameda and Alejandro Hernandez, and super featherweight contender Javier Fortuna against Abner Cotto.
Stephen Espinoza, Executive VP and General Manager of Showtime Sports, has stated that the network may add two more dates.
Unbeaten Australian featherweight “Aussie” Joel Brunker (27-0, 15 KOs) is determined to win his upcoming IBF elimination bout and is willing to go around the world to do it. Brunker, rated IBF #3, will face Selby (19-1, 7 KOs), rated IBF #6, on October 11 at the O2 Arena in London, England, for the right to become the next mandatory challenger to champion Evgeny Gradovich. To ensure himself the best training camp possible, Brunker flew to New York on September 14 and is spending his final month of training in the area’s best gyms. Brunker, a 2004 Olympian, has been working out of Gleason’s Gym in Brooklyn, House of Pain in Newark and Church Street Gym in Lower Manhattan, among others, sparring with the likes of Wanzell Ellison, Jorge Diaz and Gary Stark Jr.
In a major coup for UK boxing fans, October 25’s “Title Tornado” card in Monte Carlo, jointly headlined by the UK’s Martin Murray in a world title eliminator and Stuart Hall in a world title fight, will be broadcast live on Channel Five in Britain. Working in collaboration with leading promoter Mick Hennessy, and Hennessy Sports’ William Storey, Golden Gloves promoter Rodney Berman has ensured that Murray’s WBC Silver middleweight title defense against Domenico Spada and Hall’s IBF world title fight against undefeated Randy Caballero will be seen by millions of households live on UK terrestrial television.
This is a significant milestone for the sport given that the last major world title fight broadcast live on UK terrestrial television was Carl Froch against Jean Pascal for the WBC title in December 2008, also promoted by Mick Hennessy on ITV.
“I’m delighted,” said Hennessy. “Murray is an elite-level fighter with a huge following at home. The fans deserve to see more of him.” (more…)
By Moritz Klatten
Champ Performance, Hamburg, Germany
Boxing may just be the last frontier in strength and conditioning. You could describe what passes for training in this sport by the children’s game Follow the Leader. Whatever the current champions are doing, especially the popular heavyweights, the contenders are sure to copy.
The problem with that approach is that some boxing champions are champions not because of their unique training methods but in spite of them. Mike Tyson at his best didn’t lift weights, but he had tremendous muscle mass that gave him devastating punching power. As such, we still see boxers running long distance, exercising in sauna suits, and using Spartan training methods to the point of overtraining. As for nutrition . . . well, many fighters see no problem preparing for their training and bouts by consuming a Snickers bar and a can of Red Bull.
It’s impossible for me in one article to clarify all the myths about training boxers, but I can give you an overall perspective based upon my extensive work with professional and amateur boxers. Let’s get started with these 10 common mistakes made in the training of boxers: (more…)
Promoter Oscar De La Hoya eyes Washington D.C. as a fight site. More
Bermane Stiverne patiently awaits his next fight. More
British boxer Shawn Grant faces jail time for drug dealing again. More
Does Josh Warrington have Ricky Hatton-level charisma? More
Former The Contender 4 (TV Series) participant Deon Elam (13-1, 7 KOs) will now take on former world champion Victor Ramirez (20-2- 15 KOs) on October 31st. The scheduled for 10 round bout will be for the IBF Latino cruiserweight title and will take place at the Teatro Griego Juan Pablo Segundo, in San Martin, Mendoza, Argentina. This is the third time the fight has been scheduled dating back to this past June. Ramirez was forced to pull out the first time due to injury and then Elam was forced to pull out the second time due to injury in July. Both fighters are completely healthy now and ready to square off. A fact that Elam’s team is thrilled about. “Our team is elated this fight is now going to happen. A very special thanks and appreciation to the local Argentinean promoter Osvaldo Rivero (O.R. Promotions) and also matchmaker Henry Rivalta for not giving up on this fight and making it happen. Trainer Buddy McGirt has Deon extremely ready for this fight and were confident he can pull off the upset,” said Journeyman Management CEO Andrew Zak.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.