firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- McDonnell retains WBA bantam belt
- Alejandro Davila showcased tonight
- Pacquiao-Algieri: A long fight looks likely
- Frankie Edgar Looking to Make Definitive Statement
- Meehan defeats Cameron by unanimous decision
- Miura, Gonzalez impressively keep WBC belts
- Seroka defending SA junior lightweight title
- Prospects impress in Quebec
- Cruz destroys Valenzuela
- Weights from Toluca
- Enriquez wins WBO female flyweight belt
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
Junior welterweights Naim Nelson and Ryan Belasco are looking forward to their long-awaited showdown set for Saturday, Oct. 4, at the Valley Forge Casino Resort. At stake is the vacant Universal Boxing Federation (UBF) 140-pound title. Nelson, 24, of Philadelphia, PA, and Belasco, 30, of Wilmington, DE, had been scheduled to collide more than one year ago, but a hand injury sustained in training by Nelson canceled the match.
“I’m looking forward to finally fighting Belasco,” Nelson told the press last night at the Valley Forge Casino Resort. “The hand injury set me back but everything has been fine since then.” (more…)
Statement: Coldwell Boxing’s goal when working with Curtis Woodhouse was to deliver him the British title. The crossover from footballer to boxer was one that came with several problems but ourselves and Curtis overcame them all and we achieved our mission when Curtis defeated Darren Hamilton to realize his dream. Coldwell Boxing have today released Curtis from promotional and managerial contracts. My time with Curtis as trainer, manager, promoter and friend is a period I will always recall with great fondness and the setbacks he overcome to become English and British champion will always fill me with immense pride. Wins against the likes of Dave Ryan and Hamilton proved that Curtis was an accomplished domestic campaigner and his ability to bounce back from devastating defeats against Frankie Gavin, Dale Miles and Derry Mathews proved that he was an absolute warrior. Everyone at Coldwell Boxing wishes Curtis all the best in his future endeavors and he can always be guaranteed a special place in everyone’s hearts here. It’s been a pleasure being at Curtis’ side during his incredible journey and I hope that his story will continue to be a successful one.
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Photo: Team Soliman
IBF middleweight champion Sam “King” Soliman arrived in New York City Monday and talked to Fightnews about his October 8 showdown at the Beau Rivage Resort in Biloxi, Mississippi with former WBC,WBO, WBA,IBF middleweight champion Jermain “Bad Intentions” Taylor. Soliman says he had excellent preparation in Melbourne before arriving in the USA and his management has arranged for top class sparring partners in New York City before he arrives in Biloxi.
How has your preparation been for the Jermain Taylor fight on October 8?
Training has been excellent in Melbourne and I will finish my training in New York. I had the same sparring partners in Australia that I had for my last fight against Felix Sturm. That was super middleweights Zac Dunn and Jake Carr who both are same size as Taylor, over six foot and both unbeaten. Middleweight Michael Zeraffa also worked with me. He has good skills also. (more…)
Two of the best 125-pound fighters in the world will square off at Phoenix’ US Airways Center on December 13, as the number four-ranked Jussier Formiga meets Arizona standout John Moraga in a pivotal flyweight meeting . . . Click here for more at UFC.com
. . . .
COMING UP NEXT: UFC 178: JOHNSON VS. CARIASO is LIVE on PPV on Saturday, Sept. 27 at 10 PM ET/7 PM PT . . . Click here for more
By Hector Villarreal
Panamanian super featherweights Antonio “El Gordo” Fernandez (17-4-1) and Jose “El Tigre” Forero (12-2-1) both weighed 129.75 for Wednesday’s clash for Forero’s WBC Latin American Championship at Fantastic Casino Albrook Mall in Panama City. Fernandez vs Forero is the main event of a seven fights card.
Luis Garcia 119.25 vs. Iwier Henriquez 117.25
Israel Hidrogo 116.25 vs. Jose Luis Calvo 116.5
Edgar Valencia 111.5 vs. Felix Montenegro 111.75
Galindo Cardenas 130.5 vs. Carlos Mosquera 130.25
Roberto Palacios 129.75 vs. Josue Gonzalez 130
Gilberto Cortez 126.25 vs. Edwin Opua 126.25
Photos: Peter Amador / Top Rank
Felix ‘El Diamante’ Verdejo (14-0, 10 KO’s) is preparing to face Mexico’s Sergio ‘El Cuate’ Villanueva (26-4-2, 13 KO’s) in the main event of the ‘Solo Boxeo Tecate’ card on UniMas that Top Rank and All Star Boxing will present in the Bahia Shriners Audotorium & Events Center in Orlando, FL. on October 4.
During the workout, Verdejo spent some time with breast cancer survivors from the Susan G Komen – PR Organization. They are preparing for the Oct. 5 ‘Race for the Cure’ event in Puerto Rico.
By Nick Giongco
Donnie Nietes will put his WBO light-flyweight crown on the line against Carlos Velarde of Culiacan, Mexico at the Waterfront Hotel in Cebu on Nov. 15, rising Filipino promoter Michael Aldeguer said yesterday. “We’re just waiting for the contract,” said Aldeguer, whose promotional outfit ALA Boxing is staging the world 108-lb clash dubbed Pinoy Pride 28.
Nietes is on the cusp of becoming the longest reigning Filipino world champion and should be repulse Velarde, he will surpass the seven-year reign of the late great Flash Elorde, who ruled the 130-lb division from March 1960 until June 1967. Nietes, 33, has a 33-1-4 win-loss card with 19 KOs, while Velarde, 23, has a 26-3-1 slate with 14 KOs. Aldeguer is fresh from putting up Pinoy Pride 27 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, early this month. ALA Boxing is looking forward to an explosive 2015 with shows being eyed to take place in the US West Coast and in the Middle East again.
This is the fight Germany has been waiting for: the Super-Fight between Four-Time World Middleweight Champion Felix Sturm and Two-Time World Super Middleweight Champion Robert Stieglitz is on! It will be a battle between two of the most successful professional prizefighters from Germany when the pair will meet inside the ring at the Porsche-Arena in Stuttgart on November 8, 2014. Sturm vs. Stieglitz will be broadcasted live and exclusive by SAT.1 television and via Live-Stream on ran.de in Germany. The fight will be staged by the event and marketing agency MMP.
Zeljko Karajica, CEO ProSiebenSat.1 TV Deutschland GmbH: “We made it possible that two of Germany’s finest boxers will face each other inside the ring. The four-time champ Sturm versus the two-time champ Stieglitz – that’s a fight the boxing fans want to see. They can look forward to a brilliant battle between two great fighters.”
Felix Sturm: “Robert Stieglitz is a strong fighter. He especially proved that in his fights against Arthur Abraham. Both of us have the experience of fighting a lot of exciting world championship battles. Believe me, this is one heck of fight for the fans in Germany – and around the world. I’ll have a lot of surprises ready for Robert! I have great respect for him and this fight means a lot to both of us. But I promise that I’ll do everything in my power to leave the ring victorious!”
Robert Stieglitz: “Hello, Mr. Sturm! Welcome to my weight-class! Even if you can add a couple of pounds, you should better wrap yourself up well!”
After starting off his year back in February with a come from behind win over Olympian Yordenis Ugas to capture the interim WBC Latino light welterweight title and then continuing with another triumph, this time over the highly-touted Jonathan Chicas, San Diego’s own Emmanuel “Renegade” Robles (11-0-1, 3KO) is looking to remain undefeated against the tough Carlos “El Guerrero” Valenzuela (6-1, 3KO) in the eight round main event of “San Diego Fights” presented by Bobby D. Presents. The professional boxing fight card will be held on Friday, October 24th, at the new home for San Diego boxing, the Crowne Plaza Hanalei Hotel, in Mission Valley. (more…)
Adrien Broner gets labeled a “1-man dance party” at a nightclub. More
“Drained Fury has lost too much weight – I’ll knock him out,” promises Derek Chisora. More
Filipino Donnie Nietes gets a boost from a strength coach. More
British boxer Jerome Wilson is out of a medically-induced coma. More
Promoter Oscar de la Hoya announces the new longterm deal for Canelo Alvarez’ return to HBO. He also talks about taking back the Mexican holiday dates from Floyd Mayweather and denies Showtime claims that he reneged on a verbal agreement. (Photo: Image Group LA)
WBC Statement: After Floyd Mayweather clearly defeated Marcos Maidana in their much anticipated rematch, there have been countless news stories, articles and statements in the press regarding the fight that has been in the makings for several years. Clearly and simply – the world wants to see Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao. Mayweather, the WBC welterweight and super welterweight champion of the world, has been the pound-for-pound driving force of the sport in recent years, while Pacquiao is an iconic champion who has reestablished the interest of the boxing world after his dramatic loss in his fourth fight with Juan Manuel Marquez.
The WBC has been extremely supportive, and in fact ranked Pacquiao as number one contender in the welterweight division after his comeback victory against Brandon Rios. With this ranking in the month of December, 2013, Pacquiao was in line to have the fight against Mayweather, but unfortunately his plans were different and he challenged Timothy Bradley, conquering the WBO championship.
The WBC hereby ratifies complete support and commends Mayweather and Pacquiao to sit down and make the fight happen, if Pacquiao successfully wins his upcoming fight against Chris Algieri. Both Mayweather and Pacquiao have great history in the WBC and without a doubt their fight would be one of the biggest events in the history of boxing and our sport.
According to VIP Promotions, this Saturday’s English featherweight title fight between John Quigley and Ryan Doyle has been postponed due to a cut received by Quigley in sparring, and will now be rescheduled at a later date.
The show at Liverpool’s Olympia will still go ahead with a new top of the bill announced shortly.
Currently taking up the final three spots in the UFC women’s bantamweight division top ten, the trio of Amanda Nunes, Bethe Correia, and Jessica Andrade has been setting the standard for female MMA fighters from Brazil, and they’re only getting better with each passing fight. But only one of the three – the number eight-ranked Nunes – has taken her show on the road in order to give herself the best shot at becoming a champion. And that wasn’t an easy decision . . . Click here for more at UFC.com
. . . .
COMING UP NEXT: UFC 178: JOHNSON VS. CARIASO is LIVE on PPV on Saturday, Sept. 27 at 10 PM ET/7 PM PT . . . Click here for more
Golden Boy Promotions Founder Oscar de la Hoya, HBO Sports President Ken Hershman, and boxer Canelo Álvarez (44-1-1, 31 KOs) today announced a new agreement to showcase the fighter’s matches on HBO Sports. Golden Boy was previously primarily aligned with Showtime.
Canelo Alvarez: “For all of my career, I have wanted to fight on HBO for one main reason-I believe it will allow more of my fans to see me in action. Today marks a huge milestone for me, and I look forward to a long and successful partnership with HBO.”
Ken Hershman: “Everyone at HBO is excited to welcome back Canelo Álvarez to the HBO family, and we can’t wait to re-introduce him to our subscribers. At only 24-years-old, Canelo has already established himself as one of the boxing world’s brightest stars, and we look forward to a long and mutually beneficial relationship as we embark on this new chapter together. We are delighted to partner with Oscar de la Hoya and Golden Boy Promotions in presenting Canelo’s fights and events on our various platforms.”
Oscar e la Hoya: “I’m thrilled to be part of this historic agreement between Canelo Álvarez and HBO Sports, an agreement that marks another major step in Golden Boy Promotions’ primary goal-to give boxing fans the fights they want to see. Canelo is the best young fighter in the sport, and this move will help line him up to fight top opponents in the sport for many years to come.” Oscar added that he hopes that this didn’t damage his relationship with Showtime.
By Przemek Garczarczyk
“I’m ready for a long battle. I would have to be very naïve to believe that I could destroy a world champion like Włodarczyk inside five rounds,” said Russian European Boxing Union cruiserweight champion Grigory Drozd (38-1, 27 KOs) before his Saturday fight against Poland’s Krzysztof “Diablo” Włodarczyk, this Saturday in Moscow. The Włodarczyk-Drozd WBC title and Denis Lebedev-Paweł Kołodziej WBA cruiser title fights, promoted and organized by Andrey Ryabinskiy’s “World Boxing”, will be available live in US as PPV event with live viewing starting at 12PM ET/9AM PT on both cable and satellite pay-per-view via IN Demand, Dish and Vuboquity on Saturday, September 27.
“We were waiting for this opportunity for a very long time,” said Drozd during a Monday press conference in Moscow. “I had a great career with many heights, but after my only loss on the record, I took a really long time to have chance like this. On September 27, I will prove to everybody that I deserved this chance. I’m 35, mentally ready to be a champion. What could I say about Diablo? There’s of course a respect, and Włodarczyk is not a fighter who tries to provoke me with his words – I’m thankful for that. I’m ready for a long battle. I would have to be very naïve to believe that I could destroy world champion like Włodarczyk inside 5 rounds. He never avoided a tough fight. Some of the champions just protect themselves but Diablo takes risks. I probably never fought a man who hits as hard, is so physically strong, but how I will deal with that, you will all see on Saturday. I will do my best to make him fight my kind of boxing.”
For Włodarczyk, WBC champion since 2010, the Drozd fight will be a seventh title defense and fight in Moscow is just another battle he wants to win. “There’s a pressure on me, because I’ve had this belt for so long. I don’t care how this fight will go, how hard it will be – I brought my WBC belt to Russia and want, and will, bring it back to Poland. I like fighting away, when there’s a ‘he’s the enemy’ atmosphere. It makes me fight better.”
On Friday, a mediator in Miami will try to resolve the lawsuit filed by All Star Boxing against Saul Alvarez and Golden Boy Promotions. All Star Boxing is seeking punitive damages against Golden Boy for tortious interference involving Golden Boy’s signing of Saul “Canelo” Alvarez while Canelo was still under a promotional contract with All Star Boxing. A trial date of December 8 will commence if the parties have not resolved their differences.
WBO world super middleweight champion Arthur Abraham (40-4, 28 KOs) and challenger Paul Smith (35-3, 20 KOs) treated fans to a public workout today at the CITTI-PARK shopping centre ahead of their world title fight on Saturday night at the Sparkassen-Arena in Kiel, Germany.
The challenger was up first joined by coach Joe Gallagher. “This is the fight I have been dreaming of,” said Smith. “Now I’m here in Germany, I’m not going to let this opportunity pass me by. This is my time! I will be bringing the belt back to England with me.”
Abraham received a hero’s welcome when he entered the ring alongside legendary coach Ulli Wegner. “I have not underestimated Smith,” said ‘King Arthur’. “If anything, I have overestimated him. I always expect to face the best when I step into the ring and prepare accordingly. I’m in top shape and ready to defend my title on Saturday night.”
Polish cruiserweight Mateusz Masternak and former world title challenger Matthew Macklin could also be seen at today’s public workout. Both men are in action on Saturday night on a bumper bill featuring a host of Europe’s hottest boxing talents.
Undefeated World Boxing Organization (WBO) lightweight world champion Terence “Bud” Crawford, Omaha’s favorite son, and #1 contender and mandatory challenger Ray Beltran, of Mexico, will host a news conference announcing their world lightweight championship fight next Tuesday, September 30, at the CenturyLink Center in the Grand Ballroom (455 North 10th St., Omaha, Neb. 68102). The news conference, which will be open to the public, will begin at 12:30 p.m. CT, with doors opening at Noon CT. Joining Crawford and Beltran will be Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum.
Crawford successfully defended his title on June 28, at the CenturyLink Center, knocking out previously undefeated world champion Yuriorkis Gamboa in front of an energized crowd. The fight, a candidate for Fight of the Year honors, was televised live on HBO, and according to Nielsen Media Research, garnered an average audience of 1.208 million viewers to the live, first-time airing, making it the second most-watched fight of the year so far. Crawford vs. Gamboa was the first world championship fight the city of Omaha had hosted in 42 years when Joe Frazier defended his world heavyweight championship crown against Ron Stander in 1972.
Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Tecate, the Crawford vs. Beltran World Lightweight Championship event will take place during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend on Saturday, November 29, at the CenturyLink Center. It will be televised live on HBO Boxing After Dark.
The previously scheduled fight night featuring Ronny Rios vs. Robinson “Robin Hood” Castellanos has been moved from Thursday, Oct. 9 to Friday, Oct. 10. FOX Sports 1 and FOX Deportes will broadcast the Friday night edition of Golden Boy Live! as the series returns to Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, Calif. In the 10-round junior lightweight main event, Santa Ana’s Rios puts his perfect 23-0 record on the line against former WBC Silver Featherweight Champion Robinson Castellanos. Plus, undefeated welterweight Antonio Orozco of San Diego meets former World Champion Steve “2 Pound” Forbes in the 10-round co-main event. Also in action will be unbeaten phenom Diego De La Hoya who will make his fourth appearance in Indio in a six-round opening televised fight against Merida, Mexico’s Luis “Lichito” Lizarraga Jr. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.