email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Persoon to face Prazak on Nov 11
- Rosado says he's fighting Kirkland on Nov 8
- Rivera-Ponomarev headlines Saturday on UniMas
- Saunders-Eubank grudge-match added to Fury-Chisora II
- Yusaf Mack Headlines in NJ
- Opinion: Mayweather void of killer instinct
- Cleverly-Bellew II deal close as duo prepare for epic domestic grudge match
- KO Artist Feigenbutz signs with Team Sauerland
- Boxing returns to network TV Saturday
- Boxing Buzz
- Oscar honored by State of Nevada
It’s official. Boxing superstar Floyd “Money” Mayweather will return to the ring, step up in weight and challenge three-division World Champion Miguel Cotto for his WBA Super Welterweight World title in what will be a gargantuan showdown between two future Hall of Famers. Mayweather vs. Cotto will take place on Saturday, May 5 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nev. and will be televised live on pay-per-view. Both fighters have agreed to Olympic-style drug testing for the fight.
In related news, earlier today the Nevada State Athletic Commission voted unanimously to grant Mayweather a one-fight boxing license.
Mayweather: “It will be a challenge for me to compete with him at this weight, but this is the type of test I thrive on and gives me the motivation to train even harder. I have no doubt in my mind that my title belt collection will increase once again and Cotto’s reign as champion will come to an end on May 5.”
Cotto: “I am here to fight the biggest names in boxing. I’ve never ducked anyone or any challenge in front of me. I have accepted everything to give the fans what they like…great and exciting fights. That is what the sport of boxing is all about; making the fights that the fans want and deserve to see. On May 5, stay tuned, because I will convincingly beat Floyd Mayweather.”
Photo: Team Sauerland
Things got hot today at the final press conference prior to the rematch between IBF Cruiserweight Champion Yoan Pablo Hernandez (25-1, 13 KOs) and Steve “USS” Cunningham (24-3, 12 KOs). “That is my belt, it is coming back to me,” Cunningham shouted during the face-off. “You better hug it tonight. I am the real champion. Nobody is going to help you this time. I live, eat, sleep boxing. Nobody ever helped me. No referee helped me up off the ground when I got knocked down. I am worried, I am worried for you! I am the real champ.”
After a controversial ending to the first fight, Cunningham is eager to set the record straight. Back in October, the 35-year-old American was knocked down in the first round but came back strong. Before the seventh round, the fight was stopped after headbutts had opened two cuts in Hernandez´ face. “It was the wrong decision to stop the fight,” Cunningham said. “All I ask for on Saturday is an equal playing field. Hernandez is a good fighter but I am better. I will prove that I am the best cruiserweight.”
Hernandez was unimpressed by Cunningham´s words. “That´s no problem for me. He is American and Americans talk a lot. We´re used to it. I look forward to the rematch. Cunningham is a top cruiserweight, a very strong opponent, but I deserved to win the first fight and I will beat him again. If there is any doubt left that I am better, I will erase all doubts on Saturday night.” (more…)
Matchroom Sport has with Coldwell Boxing for Tony Bellew’s British light heavyweight title defense against Danny McIntosh at the Echo Arena in Liverpool on April 14. Bellew holds a 16-1 record as a pro and scooped both the British and Commonwealth light heavyweight belts in 2010. Last year he also challenged for the WBO world light heavyweight title, dropping a decision to champion Nathan Cleverly. McIntosh, meanwhile, is 13-2 (7 KO) and won the English light-heavyweight title in just his eighth pro bout, and in January 2011, McIntosh shocked the world when travelling to France to knock out home hero Thierry Karl, lifting the European light heavyweight belt in the process.
This is probably the closest we’ll come to seeing this fight happen.
Pictured from left to right Executive Director of Habitat for Humanity Meg Delor, CEO of Mayweather Promotions Leonard Ellerbe, seven-time World Champion Floyd Mayweather and Mayweather’s fiance Shantel Jackson as Mayweather presents Habitat for Humanity Las Vegas with a $50,000 check to support the Blitz Build project on January 31. Mayweather presented separate $50,000 checks to two Las Vegas charitable organizations, Habitat for Humanity Las Vegas and Three Square Food Bank.
“It was definitely an honor to support two great organizations doing excellent work in Las Vegas to provide housing and food assistance for needy families in the area,” said Mayweather. “Both Habitat for Humanity and Three Square have done amazing things in the community and I am happy to be able to make the financial commitment I did to both of them today.”
On January 18, Mayweather made a $100,000 donation and check presentation to the staff and Board of Directors of Susan G. Komen Southern Nevada Affiliate in recognition of their efforts.
Photo: OPI 2000
Today in Pavia, OPI 2000 (Salvatore and Christian Cherchi) held a press conference to announce the vacant WBC Silver World cruiserweight championship between Italians and former World champions Giacobbe Fragomeni (WBC #2) and Silvio Branco (WBC #4). The fight will take place on March 17 in Pavia (20 minutes from Milan), Italy. The co-feature bouts will see Luca “Black Mamba” Giacon (18-0, 17 KOs) defend his European Union title against Polish Krzysztof Szot (15-1-1, 5 KOs) and Antonio “Big” Moscatiello (13-0, 9 KOs) fights for the vacant Italian welterweight title. For tickets go to www.opi2000.com
After three consecutive late pull-outs that cost him his world title, former WBO light heavyweight champion Jürgen Brähmer (37-2, 30 KOs) finally made it back into the ring on Saturday night to score a fourth round TKO over outgunned José Maria Guerrero (29-3-1, 11 KOs) at the Grand Elysée in Hamburg, Germany. Here is the “100 Year Talent’s” first fight in 21 months.
By Przemek Garczarczyk
#9 WBO ranked light heavyweight Andrew ”Polish Prince” Fonfara (20-2, 11 KOs), living since 2006 in the Windy City, will fight former two-time super middleweight world champion Byron Mitchell (29-9, 22 KOs) for IBO-USBO title on March 16 in UIC Pavilion in Chicago. “We already have a verbal agreement with Mitchell,” said Fonfara’s brother and manager, Marek Fonfara. Fonfara’s trainer Sam Colonna added “Andrew is only 24 years old with great talent and needs to fight experienced fighters. Byron is the guy. He knows all the tricks in the book, was a world champion and I’m sure he’ll be able give Fonfara all he can handle, but we are very confident about the outcome.” (more…)
Photos: Team Klitschko
Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko participated in a joint open work out in Going/Austria. While WBC World Heavyweight Champion Vitali Klitschko defends his title against Dereck Chisora in Munich on February 18, his younger brother Wladimir puts his IBF, WBA, IBO and WBO belts on the line against Jean-Marc Mormeck in Düsseldorf on March 3. In Germany, both fights will be broadcast live and exclusively on RTL, in the US they will be shown on EPIX. Remaining tickets for both events are available at www.eventim.de. Click here for more photos…
WBO president Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel announced today the referee and judges who will work on the world title bout between three time world champion Nonito Donaire and former super bantamweight king Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. this Saturday at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. The referee will be Rafael Ramos and judges are Levi Martinez from New Mexico, Donald Trella from Connecticut, and Ruben Garcia from Texas. WBO supervisor for this fight will be Luis Perez.
“Everyone has a game plan until they get hit,” says hard-hitting light heavyweight contender Edison “Pantera” Miranda (35-6, 30 KOs), who faces WBC #6, WBA #13, and WBO #14-rated Isaac “Golden Boy” Chilemba, on Friday night at the Dallas Events Center at the Texas Station Gambling Hall & Hotel in Las Vegas. “It’s one thing to study video, but then that leather hits your face and your plan goes out the window and survival mode kicks in. Before you know it, you get hit again and you’re lying on the canvas. What happened to your game plan?” (more…)
Southern California’s Inland Empire’s heated boxing beat just got a little hotter. Undefeated Efrain Esquivias (15-0, 9 KOs) has been added to the power packed Thompson Boxing Promotions February 24 edition of “New Blood”. The blockbuster card features Artemio “King” Reyes (14-1, 11 KOs) vs. Victor Hugo Correa (12-4, 8 KOs) in a 10-round main event welterweight war for the WBC Latino title. The card also co-features East L.A.’s Aron “Asesino” Martinez (15-1-1, 3 KOs) against Escondido’s Dashon “Fly Boy” Johnson (13-4-3, 4 KOs) in an eight-round welterweight bout. (more…)
Despite three surgeries on his knee that were costing him nearly two years of his prime as a mixed martial artist, Ed Herman knew that he would eventually come back to the UFC and life as a full-time fighter. That doesn’t mean there weren’t questions, both internally and externally, and days when everything just seemed to go wrong . . . Click here for more by Thomas Gerbasi, UFC.com
. . . .
For more info on the UFC or UFC 143, visit www.UFC.com
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
IBF featherweight champion Billy Dib talks to Fightnews about winning the IBF title by defeating Jorge Lacervia in 2011 also successful defense against Alberto Servedei and upcoming bout with Eduardo Escobedo
on March 7 at Derwent Entertainment Centre, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.
Photo: Chris Farina/Top Rank
Former world champion Wilfredo Vazquez,Jr. was the last of the headlining fighters to arrive in San Antonio, Texas for Top Rank’s world title twinbill this Saturday. WV2 arrived from Puerto Rico on Tuesday night for his world title clash against superstar three-time world champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire taking place at the Alamodome. The bout will be for the vacant WBO super bantamweight title formerly held by Vazquez.
The doubleheader also features undefeated WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. defending his title against mandatory challenger Marco Antonio Rubio in a highly charged showdown.
By Miguel Maravilla
“Vicious” Victor Ortiz (29-3-2, 22 KOs) celebrated his 25th Birthday on Tuesday with members of the media and the Big Brothers & Big Sisters of Ventura County at Knuckleheadz Gym in Ventura. Ortiz was also scheduled to have a media workout in preparation for his rematch with Andre Berto (28-1, 22 KOs), which is now off. “I feel good. I am 25 years old now and a year older,” Ortiz commented on his Birthday.
However the other news of the day was disappointing, as Andre Berto suffered a torn bicep injury during training. Ortiz received the news Monday evening as his fight with Andre Berto had been postponed. “I was devastated when my manager Rolando Arellano told me. ‘I have some bad news,’ he explained to me, ‘Berto has injured himself,’” said Ortiz. (more…)
The Countdown to UFC 143 Begins Tonight On FUEL TV: Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit prepare for their epic welterweight title showdown this Saturday, Roy Nelson and Fabricio Werdum ready themselves for their meeting in the Octagon, plus a look at Josh Koscheck and Mike Pierce! Premieres tonight at 9pm ET / 6pm PT on FUEL TV
For The First Time Ever, See The UFC Live and In 3D In Select Theaters: Watch UFC 143: Condit vs Diaz LIVE and in 3D! Tickets on sale now
. . . .
For more info on the UFC or UFC 143, visit www.UFC.com
Four top cruiserweights showcased their talents today in Frankfurt prior to Team Sauerland´s big show at the Fraport Arena on Saturday night. In four days, IBF Cruiserweight Champion Yoan Pablo Hernandez (25-1, 13 KOs) and two-time world champion Steve Cunningham (24-3, 12 KOs) will meet again, while Enad Licina and Alexander Alekseev clash for the vacant European Cruiserweight Title. “I deserve to be world champion and I will prove my worth on Saturday night,” Hernandez told the press after today´s session. “He is good, but I don´t consider him a world champion,” Cunningham said of his opponent. “I am here to take home the title and become world champion for a third time.” (more…)
Promoter Frank Maloney has announced that former world title challenger Matt Skelton (25-6, 20 KOs) will face Tom Dallas (15-1, 11 KOs) over eight rounds on March 3 at the Hillsborough Leisure Centre in Sheffield, England. Skelton has been out of the ring since the final of the prize fighter tournament back in October 2010 but has been in the gym on regular basis.
“Britain has the best crop of young heavyweights in the world at the moment and I can’t wait to get back in the mix and start taking on the likes of Price and Fury,” said Skelton. (more…)
The old saying “diamonds are a girl’s best friend and a man’s worst enemy” goes double for the UFC’s featherweight division because it’s their most dangerous competition. The shiniest and sharpest jewel of the resident 145ers cut a three fight win streak in 2011 that announced the presence of the weight class’ newest rising star. Whether they’re from Antwerp or Africa, the only allotrope of carbon fight fans need to know about is the one born, raised, and training to get meaner in Lafayette, Louisiana: Dustin “The Diamond” Poirier . . . Click here for more by Jordan Newmark, UFC.com
. . . .
For more info on the UFC or UFC 143, visit www.UFC.com
The February 24 ten-rounder between Juan Carlos Burgos (28-1, 19 KOs) and former IBF featherweight champion Cristobal Cruz (39-12-3, 23 KOs), originally planned for Southern California has been moved to Dover Downs Hotel & Casino in Dover, Delaware. The bout will be for Burgos’ WBC Silver super featherweight title. Two other title fights will be included on the card, which will be televised on ESPN’s “Friday Night Fights.”
On Saturday night, live from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, elite welterweights Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit will collide for the interim UFC 170lbs championship.
UFC superstar Georges St-Pierre will be a very interested – and conflicted – ringside observer to the UFC 143 main event. ‘GSP’ has been the undisputed welterweight king since the spring of 2008, but knee injuries have forced him to withdraw from scheduled bouts with both Condit and Diaz and so he must sit on the sidelines while the pair stake a claim to his crown. (more…)
Photos: Chris Farina / Top Rank
#1 Ranked Marco Antonio Rubio poses during media day at the Jesse James Leija Gym in San Antonio,Texas, Tuesday for his upcoming world title defense against undefeated WBC World Middleweight Champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., Saturday, Feb. 4, televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing from the Alamodome in San Antonio,Texas. Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Zanfer Promotions, All Star Boxing and Tecate, Chavez Jr. takes on Rubio and Nonito Donaire battles Wilfredo Vasquez Jr. in the other co-main event. Click here for more photos…
Photos and report by Ricardo Conde
Former WBA light heavyweight champion Gabriel ‘Chico Guapo’ Campillo (21-3-1, 8 KOs) of Spain, but now residing in Oxnard, California, will take on undefeated and current IBF light heavyweight champion Tavoris ‘Thunder’ Cloud (23-0, 19 KOs) of Tallahassee, Florida on Saturday, February 18th in the co-feature bout of SHOWTIME’s ‘Championship Boxing’ which will be broadcast live from the American Bank Center in Corpus Christi, Texas. Headlining the fight card will be former world champion Paul ‘The Punisher’ Williams (40-2, 27 KOs) taking on Nobuhiro Ishida (24-6-2, 9 KOs) in a 12-round junior middleweight bout. For more details and photos click here…
Due to a left biceps injury sustained while training on Monday, January 30, Andre Berto will be unable to compete in his scheduled February 11 SHOWTIME televised bout against Victor Ortiz at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nev., forcing a cancellation of the event on that date. All parties involved are actively seeking a possible postponement date for Ortiz vs. Berto II.
Information regarding previously purchased tickets being honored for a possible postponement date will be released as it becomes available or, alternatively, ticketholders can contact their place of purchase for refunds.
More information will be announced as it becomes available.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.