firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Escalante-Ruiz showdown on April 5
- Kelvin Gastelum: On the Fast Track
- Andre Berto Cleared by Physician for Light Sparring, to Begin Full Contact in Mid-April
- Cotto-Martinez heats up at NYC presser
- Broken thumb KOs Huck: March 29 card is off
- Brooks ready to take on Mexicali fighter
- Fortuna stops Lorenzo in three
- Focused Agnew and not distracted by Kovalev-Stevenson Hype
- Oquendo ready for Telemundo showdown with Avila
- Fighting a Welcome Escape for Krylov
By Karl Freitag
During a conference call today, WBA welterweight champion Sugar Shane Mosley lashed out at a reporter who asked him to compare how he feels now compared to how he felt in 2003 when he allegedly took a performance enhancing substance. “That’s a stupid question that you’re asking me because I never really…I never did that stuff,” said Shane. “I was never on it the way like that. I’ve always been a clean fighter. Actually I feel good and I’ve been feeling good. I’ve been knocking out everybody since 2003 and before 2003. I don’t feel like I should be condemned for something that I never tested positive at all. I just told the truth of what happened because the truth was brought to me by the federal people that took me to court or that brought me up as a witness, that brought me in as a witness and the truth was revealed to me there. So, this man (Victor Conte/BALCO Labs) that I had seen one time in my whole entire life, at the deposition was the second time I’ve seen him, it’s ridiculous. It’s ridiculous that now the media wants to make me the ‘poster boy of steroids’ when I don’t even remember [taking] that stuff, so if you guys want to continue to think that or put that out there ‘so be it’ you know, you’ve got to hear the truth.”
On Saturday, the Super Six World Boxing Classic will return to SHOWTIME® with the Group Stage 2 matchup between undefeated WBC Super Middleweight Champion Carl “The Cobra” Froch of Nottingham, England and former WBA 168-pound champion Mikkel “Viking Warrior” Kessler of Denmark for Froch’s WBC world title. Click for the tape of the tape and latest fighter quotes…
If Floyd Mayweather is the winner of his May 1 welterweight super clash against WBA welterweight champion Sugar Shane Mosley, Floyd will not win the WBA title. If Shane wins, he will retain the WBA championship. If Floyd wins, the title will become vacant.
Hard-hitting welterweight contender Selcuk Aydin arrived at a training camp in Florida last week to prepare for his first world title fight. On June 5th “Mini-Tyson” will face former WBA champion Luis Collazo for the WBC silver championship in Istanbul, Turkey. For more details and photos click here…
By Ricardo Conde
Three time world champion Israel “El Magnifico” Vazquez (44-4, 32 KOs) of Mexico will take on two-division world champion, Rafael Marquez (38-5, 34 KOs) of Mexico on Saturday, May 22nd at the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, CA on “Once and Four All.” Considered widely by many to be perhaps the greatest boxing trilogy of all time, these two great Mexican warriors will meet again for a fourth time in a 12 round bout in the featherweight division, which will be shown live on SHOWTIME and is being co-promoted by Golden Boy Promotions, Gary Shaw Productions, Espinoza Boxing Promotions and Zanfer Promotions. For more details and photos click here…
By Ron Jackson
Mzolisi Yoyo and Sikhulile Sidzumo the number one and two ranked contenders meet for the vacant South African junior welterweight title in East London on Sunday afternoon. The title became vacant when Kaizer Mabuza relinquished the title after winning an IBF title eliminator against Kendall Holt in February this year. (more…)
By Alexey Sukachev
Looks like a proposed fight between former IBF/WBO light welterweight and undisputed welterweight champion Zab Judah (38-6, 26 KOs) and undefeated WBO #7, WBC #9 and WBA #10 ranked Kazakh prospect Vitaly Demyanenko (18-0, 11 KOs) isn’t as close as Kazakh media has been reporting. “Zab’s response to a challenge from Demayneko’s camp was ‘Vitaly who?,’” said Demyanenko’s agent Yuri Fedorov. “Vitaly is 18-0 and the current regional champion with the WBO/WBC/WBA where he is rated #5, #9 and #10 respectively. And where is Zab Judah – #8 with the WBA… so from the outset he plays a more prominent figure than Zab in the overall scheme of things with the current welterweight ratings.” (more…)
As the hours and days tick off the clock before Floyd “Money” Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs) and “Sugar” Shane Mosley (46-5, 39 KOs) clash at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas on May 1st, the two sides continue to exchange verbal jabs before the real ones.
At Mayweather’s recent media day at his gym in Las Vegas, “Money” pulled no punches when discussing his upcoming fight. What many may not know is that this fight has been a long time coming for both fighters. Mayweather has wanted a piece of Mosley since as far back as the year 2000 . . . click here for more
By Brady Crytzer
Over the last two years heavyweight prospect Brian Minto has filled a void. In a sport where “the good old days” seem farther than ever, the undersized heavyweight brawler has satisfied pundits who clamored for the time of Rocky Marciano and Jack Dempsey. After suffering a TKO loss to prospect Chris Arreola in December, the refocused Minto has dropped down in weight to make a run in the cruiserweight division. His first fight? WBO world champion Marco Huck. With his first career title shot looming in a brand new weight class, the rejuvenated Minto is ready for anything.
“I can see my stomach muscles now,” Minto joked. “I made a commitment to myself to lose this weight. Everything is faster now. My conditioning is the best it’s ever been and training just feels easier.” (more…)
By Robert Coster
A bright, new face in boxing in Puerto Rico is 22-year-old power-punching junior featherweight Jayson Velez (12-0, 10 KOs). The youngster, signed up with Miguel Cotto Promotions, is rapidly developing a strong fan base on the Island and the reasons are obvious: he has paralyzing KO power, as well as great speed and reach. Only one of Jayson’s opponents has gone the limit with him (another victory was a DQ). For more details and photos click here…
WBO light heavyweight world champion Jürgen Brähmer (35-2, 28 KOs) defends his WBO title for the second time against #8 rated Mariano Nicolas Plotinsky (16-3, 8 KOs) and undefeated “Killer Queen” Susi Kentikian (26-0, 16 KOs) will defend her WBA/WBO/WIBF belts against undefeated WIBA titleholder Nadia “The Beauty Beast” Raoui (11-0-1, 3 KOs) on Saturday night’s “Universum Champions Night” at the Sporthalle Hamburg. The fighters, minus Plotinsky who is still in Argentina, appeared at a press conference Monday. Plotincky, well known in Germany for his shock March 2009 knockout of popular Thomas Ulrich in Berlin, is still sitting at home with packed suitcases due to the massive flight cancellations in Europe caused by the Icelandic volcano.
“The world title fight with Jürgen will take place in any case,”
promised Event Director Kay Foitschik. “We have a plan B. The alternate fighter is also in training and in the starting blocks. We usually have a replacement for safety reasons in the background, this is quite normal. The replacement opponent will come from Europe, but we can’t say more at this stage because we expect Mariano.” More details and photos…
By Gabriel F. Cordero
No one knows the proper words to express the pain we feel for Edwin Valero and his wife Jennifer Carolina. Although it was Valero fighting in the ring, the whole country of Venezuela shared the experience with him. Through him many learned what it means to be a fighter. We all knew his victories and knockouts, but Edwin Valero, the great boxer, was still a human being with virtues and vices. I knew the private man, parent, friend and citizen. He was under a lot of pressure to be in big fights and to get an American visa, which were fast becoming his main priority over self-esteem and his family. It’s impossible to understand, explain or justify how or why this tragedy occurred, but no one deserves this disastrous end. We can only feel a deep sadness and tell Jenny and Edwin they’ll find the final answer in God. Friends forever…
Former WBO World champion DeMarcus “Chop Chop” Corley (36-13-1, 21 KOs) will fight 28-year-old Jermain “Too Sweet” White (17-4, 9 KOs) from Las Vegas for the vacant UBO World Light Welterweight title on May 29 at the D.C. Armory in Washington D.C. Titanium Promotions headed by Garcia Staley Sr. will promote the UBO doubleheader which will also feature former WBC world champion Keith Holmes (41-5, 25 KOs) taking on an opponent to be announced for the UBO International Middleweight crown.
47-year-old former three-division world champion Hector “Macho” Camacho (79-5-3, 38 KOs) returns to the ring on May 14th for the first time in over a year to take on 37-year-old former world title challenger Saul “Baby” Duran (36-16-2, 30 KOs) in a middleweight bout at a site to be named. Camacho is coming off a draw with former champ Yori Boy Campas last May. Duran enters having dropped 8 of his last 10 fights. The bout will be available on a pay-per-view webcast.
The WBA has called two purse bids for next Thursday (April 29) at noon at the Wynn Resort & Casino in Las Vegas. The first is a clash between WBA #1 middleweight Anthony Mundine and WBA #2 Gennady Golovkin for the 160lb title (Felix Sturm has been elevated to super champion). Minimum bid is $200,000 with a 50/50 purse split. The second match is a defense by WBA flyweight champion Daiki Kameda against Takefumi Sakata. Minimum bid is $80,000 with a 75/25 purse split favoring the champion. The bidding will be overssen by Gilberto Jesus Mendoza and Jose Oliver Gomez.
For years Antonio Banuelos has lived in the gargantuan shadow of close friend Chuck Liddell, and the fiercely loyal understudy has never given it a second thought. . . . Click here for more by Frank Curreri, WEC
The popular and charismatic three-time world champion Jorge “Travieso” Arce arrived today in Ciudad Obregon, Sonora, Mexico where this Saturday he will take on two-time world title challenger Cecilio Santos in the main event of “Top Rank Live” to be telecast by Fox Sports Net (FSN) and Fox Sports Espanol. For more details and photos click here…
By Przemek Garczarczyk
Chris” Nightmare” Arreola (28-1, 25 KOs) without a doubt has been working hard. “This guy wasn’t lazy. That’s for sure,” said Roger Bloodworth, Tomasz Adamek’s (40-1, 28 KO) trainer judging the new, slimmer physique of his fighter’s upcoming rival on Saturday. “It makes no difference to me. I was preparing for Chris having the fight of his life, and still beat him,” said Adamek. For more details and photos click here…
Vazquez, the former two-time world super bantamweight champion, presented the trophy for the $100,000 San Simeon Handicap, visited with the starting gate crew and stopped by the jockeys’ room to meet Rafael Bejarano (who led Santa Anita’s jockey standings for the third straight year) and have some fun on the jockeys’ horse simulator exercise equipment, called an equacizer. For more details and photos click here…
On Wednesday Top Rank will host a news conference to announce a June 12 “Top Rank Live!” world championship fight card that will take place in The Theater at Madison Square Garden featuring WBO light flyweight champion Ivan “Iron Boy” Calderon (33-0, 6 KOs) defending against Jesus Iribe (17-6-4, 10 KOs) in the main event. Also featured on the card and in attendance will be U.S. Army Chief Warrant Officer Steven Badgley (who is based in Camp Drum, NY, flies a Kiowa Warrior armed helicopter and will make his pro debut), undefeated featherweight Jorge Diaz (15-0, 8 KOs) and undefeated middleweight Glen Tapia (6-0, 4 KOs). Tickets, priced at $200, $100, $50 and $25, go on sale Thursday, April 22 at Noon and can be purchased at the Madison Square Garden box office, all Ticketmaster outlets or at ticketmaser.com. First bell will be at 8:00 PM ET.
WBO #2 heavyweight David Tua (51-3-1, 43 KOs), coming off a near shutout win last month against Friday Ahunanya, continues his comeback on June 26 in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Tua’s promoter Cedric Kushner says he is having problems finding a suitable opponent. “Some of these fellows with their outrageous financial demands don’t realize who the star of the show is. However, Tua said we’ll lock in Monte Barrett by the end of today, or we’ll move on and find a suitable opponent by Thursday or Friday at the latest.” New Zealand’s national indigenous broadcaster Maori Television will present exclusive, live and free-to-air coverage of Tua’s June 26th fight.
Former WBA 168-pound champ Mikkel Kessler participated in a light workout on Monday in Herning, Denmark, just five days before his Super Six World Boxing Classic showdown with WBC super middleweight champ Carl Froch on Saturday, April 24 on SHOWTIME® (9 p.m., ET/PT, same-day coverage) from MCH Arena, in Herning, Denmark. For more details and photos click here…
WBC Caribbean Boxing Federation (CABOFE) featherweight champion and WBC highly ranked contender Juan Carlos Burgos (24-0, 17 KOs) will look to successfully defend his title against former three-time world title challenger Ricardo “Piolo” Castillo (38-7-1, 25 KOs). Both parties have signed their contracts and will meet May 28th in Leon Guanajuato, Mexico. Televisa and ESPN Deportes are scheduled to televise the event outside the United States and ESPN Friday Night Fights is said to be airing in the U.S.
Team Sauerland has confirmed that WBC Super-Middleweight Champion Carl Froch will be flown into either North Germany or Denmark with a private jet on Tuesday afternoon. The undefeated 32-year-old missed today´s public work-out in Herning after the Iceland Volcano had KOed his original travel plans. “We are delighted to have things sorted out and bring the Cobra to Herning for his Super Six showdown with Mikkel Kessler,” said Kalle Sauerland. “He will manage to defy one volcano by hiring a private jet, but he will be in trouble when another volcano – the Viking Volcano – erupts in the ring on Saturday night.” (more…)
By Alexey “Oscar” Potapov
EBU (European) welterweight champion Matthew Hatton (39-4-2, 15 KOs) will fight against former WBA welterweight champion Yuri Nuzhnenko (30-1-1, 14 KOs). In an interview on the Internet-TV RingSide Show, Nuzhnenko’s promoter Vadim Bukhkalov stated “The Matthew Hatton-Yuri Nuzhnenko fight will take place in September in England. The contract for this fight is signed. Soon you’ll learn the date of the fight for TV.”
Promoter Klaus-Peter Kohl and WBO light heavyweight champion Jürgen Brähmer at a press conference earlier today in Hamburg, Germany. Brähmer defends his belt against #8 rated Mariano Nicolas Plotinsky on Saturday in a huge “Universum Champions Night” card at the Hamburg Sporthalle that will also feature female flyweight world champion “Killer Queen” Susi Kentikian and light middleweight star “Golden Jack” Culcay. More to come…
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Two-division world champion Edwin Valero put an end to his life at approximately 1:30AM this morning in his jail cell in Valencia, Carabobo, Venezuala. He was to be arraigned at 9AM this morning on homicide charges in the death of his wife Yennifer Carolina less than 24 hours previously at the Intercontinental Hotel in Valencia. According to police, an inmate in an adjacent cell heard noises and alerted police who found Valero hanging. Valero initially still had vital signs but subsequently passed away. An autopsy will be carried out. Fightnews.com has been in contact with the Valero Family and will continue to report developments in this sad story.
Police in Caracas, Venezuela have reported that former boxing champion Edwin Valero has killed himself in his jail cell, just hours after he was arrested for his wife’s murder. Early Monday morning, Valero used his own clothes to hang himself in his cell.
By Ricardo Conde
Three time world champion Israel “El Magnifico” Vazquez (44-4, 32 KOs) of Mexico will step back into the ring against two division world champion, Rafael Marquez (38-5, 34 KOs) of Mexico on Saturday, May 22nd at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, CA. Considered widely by many to be perhaps the greatest boxing trilogy of all time, these two great Mexican warriors will meet again for a fourth time on “Once and Four All” in a 12 round bout in the featherweight division, which will be shown live on SHOWTIME and is being co-promoted by Golden Boy Promotions, Gary Shaw Productions, Espinoza Boxing Promotions and Zanfer Promotions and is being sponsored by Cerveza Tecate. For more details and photos click here…
By Francisco Salazar
Back by popular demand (and time away from my classroom), another edition of Southern California Fight Scene announces significant fight cards in Southern California and fighters from the area in significant bouts. If you are a big boxing fan, the boxing Gods have answered your prayers. Three boxing shows will be staged on consecutive nights. (more…)
By Ron Jackson
Boxing SA has announced that the annual awards function will be held on Friday, April 23 at the St George Hotel near Pretoria. This years awards have been downsized due to cash restraints with awards only in the following categories: prospect, boxer, manager, ring official, fight, promoter and media personality of the year for 2009.
South African fighters had a good 2009 winning ten “world titles” but unfortunately some of them were unable to hold on to the titles for very long. The two stand-out fighters of the year were IBF champions Simphiwe Nongqayi and Moruti Mthalane who could be ranked in the top ten of any organisation. (more…)
Ringside by Rick Scharmberg and Kurt Wolfheimer
Photos: Emily Harney
WBC junior middleweight champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez rose in weight – and from the floor – to take Kelly “The Ghost” Pavlik’s WBC and WBO middleweight belts with a clear twelve round unanimous decision Saturday night at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (More)
By: Michael Sheffield
Photos: JD Meredith / Memphisboxing.com
A sweltering New Daisy Theater on Beale Street provided the backdrop for ESPN’s Friday Night Fights last Friday. The broadcast included an NABO Lightweight title fight that exceeded expectations and a main event featuring two up and coming heavyweights looking to take their careers to another level in front of a national audience. The undercard featured two former Olympians looking to establish their own young careers. Neither would disappoint against two out-classed opponents. (More)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Wilmer Flores Trosel, CICPC director, has announced that lightweight world champion Edwin Valero admitted guilt in the murder of his wife early this morning in Valencia, Venezuela. According to police, Mrs. Valero had three stab wounds to her neck. The wounds were not deep and police didn’t find a knife or razor in the room. Investigators hypothesize that the crime occurred during a fight at about 4AM. The couple had checked into the hotel at around 11:30PM last night. At about 5:30AM, Valero went down to the hotel lobby and confessed the killing to hotel staffers, who called police. Valero was taken into custody without incident. Prosecutors have moved ahead with murder charges against Valero.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.