email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Arum says Mayweather-Maidana 2 had fewer PPV buys than Pacquiao-Bradley 2
- Boxing Buzz
- Weights from Brooklyn
- Weights from Manchester, NH
- 'Next Tyson' George Arias set for pro debut
- Trouble on The Money Team
- Mchunu poised for NBC showcase against Wilson
- Canas headlines Friday in Hammond, Indiana
- Richar Abril interview
- Randy Caballero: Stuart Halls' time is done
- Grady Brewer faces Said Ouali on Oklahoma card
You read the report and saw the photos. Here is the video.
Jon Jones dismantled every opponent he faced on his climb to the UFC heavyweight championship. His first title defense proved no different.
Facing a Quinton Jackson that looked like the “Rampage” of yesteryear, Jones not only successfully defended his crown, he made it look easy. In a surprising finish, “Bones” used a rear naked choke to become the first man to finish Jackson in the UFC . . . Click here for more
By Karl Freitag
WBO middleweight champion Dmitry Pirog (19-0, 15 KOs) scored a tenth round TKO over WBO #1 rated contender Gennady Martirosyan (22-2, 11 KOs) on Sunday night at the Olimp Sports Palace in Krasnodar, Russia. The 6’1 Pirog gave Martirosyan a steady diet of leather throughout the fight while the 5’7 challenger had difficulty getting into punching range. Pirog delivered a merciless series of unanswered punched at the end of round ten and the Martirosyan corner pulled their man out between rounds.
Earlier, jr welterweight Khabib Allakhverdiev (15-0, 6 KOs) won a six round technical decision over former unified lightweight champion Nate Campbell (34-8-1, 9 KOs). The 39-year-old Campbell has now lost four of his last five.
By Joe Koizumi
Former executive secretary of the Japan Boxing Commission (JBC), Shigeru Kojima, at the age of eighty, passed away because of pneumonia on August 26. Even though Kojima already retired five years ago, it seems strange that his family only had a private funeral service without our knowledge about a month ago. We, boxing people here, are greatly startled at the sorrowful news and deeply appreciate his previous contribution to our boxing world. Having graduated from Meiji University, Kojima once served as secretary of a congressman and ex-prime minister Tetsu Katayama before entering the JBC in 1964. Kojima succeeded his predecessor Kotai Kikuchi as executive secretary in 1972. He served well in association with the JPBA (Japan Professional Boxing Association; the union of licensed managers) to improve the system to administrate our boxing fraternity. Kojima, for thirty-four years, attended all conventions of the WBA and the WBC, only which the JBC has affiliated with. Though he was a short person, he sometimes revealed his big heart in dealing with difficult matters. He was a man. May his soul rest in peace.
Super featherweight Gary Buckland took the British title from Gary Sykes on Saturday night with a narrow unanimous decision at the sold out crowd at Ponds Forge Arena in Sheffield, England. All three judges awarded Buckland the verdict, scoring 116-113, 115-114 and 115-113 and there were few complaints. Buckland had previously beaten Sykes in 45 seconds in a Prizefighter tournament last year, but predicted he would need something special to beat the defending champion over the 12 round championship distance. (more…)
By Ron Jackson
In possibly his best performance since joining the professional ranks, Hekkie Budler won the vacant IBO strawweight belt when he beat Filipino Michael Landero on points over 12 rounds at Emperors Palace, Kempton Park, on Saturday night. Fighting on the undercard of the Chris van Heerden vs Kaizer Mabuza clash, Budler (47.60kk) won with wide margins against the plucky Landero (47.36kg). Judge Tony Nyangiwe (SA) scored it 118-110 and judges Robert Byrd (USA) and Isaac Tshabalala (SA) both had it 119-109. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero at ringside
Photos: Pepe Rodriguez
In an exciting night of boxing at the Plaza de Toros in Juriquilla, Queretaro, Mexico, 4,000 fans enjoyed every fight from the opening bell at an event presented by Promociones del Pueblo. In the main event, WBC #2 rated Mexican star Oscar “Ceviche” Ibarra (27-5, 18 KOs) was stopped by WBC #1 ranked Filipino Sylvester Lopez (17-3-1, 13 KOs) in their WBC silver super flyweight title/world title eliminator. Lopez started the fight strong and was up 39-37 on the cards of the three WBC judges after four rounds. After that, the fight the fight tightened up until Lopez caught Ibarra on the ropes and punished him until referee Gerald Ritter stopped the bout at 1:23 of round eight. (more…)
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Photos: Werner Kalin
Australian super featherweight Diana “Dirty Di” Prazak (9-1, 7 KOs) stopped Lindsay “Lethal Lindsay” Garbatt (7-4-1, 3 KOs) of Canada at the conclusion of round nine to capture the WIBA title at the Grand Star Receptions, Altona North, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on Saturday.Prazak visited the canvas in round one compliments of a solid combination. Garbatt – who came to fight – held the powerful Aussie on even terms in most of the rounds before suffering a eye injury. At the end of round nine the ringside doctor inspected the left eye of Garbatt which had closed and he ruled the injury to severe for the bout to continue. For more details and photos click here…
By Ron Jackson
In an all-action fight Chris van Heerden beat Kaizer Mabuza on a unanimous points decision to win the vacant IBO welterweight belt at Emperors Palace, Kempton Park, South Africa on Saturday night. However, the scores of the judges did not reflect the closeness of the fight that could have gone either way. Judge Lulama Mtya (SA) was way off the mark with a scorecard of 117-112 in favour of Van Heerden, whilst judge Isaac Tshabalala (SA) scored it 116-113. The third judge Tony Nyangiwe (SA) was possibly right with his card of 114-113. (more…)
WBC jr flyweight champion Adrian Hernandez (22-1-1, 14 KOs) destroyed challenger Gideon Buthelezi (12-2, 4 KOs) in less than two rounds on Saturday night at the Foro Polanco in Mexico City. After a cautious first round, Hernandez mercilessly battered Buthelezi scoring three knockdowns before the bout was halted at the 2:20 mark.
Another test down for UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. The youngest titleholder in UFC history not only proved that he could absorb some thunder from Quinton “Rampage” Jackson in the UFC 135 main event at Pepsi Center Saturday night, but that he could fight into the championship rounds and still emerge victorious, as he submitted the former 205-pound belt holder in the fourth round . . . Click here for more by Thomas Gerbasi, UFC.com
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Jr welterweight prospect Jose “Piston” Lopez (13-0-1, 7 KOs) retained his WBC Fecombox belt with a fourth round stoppage of Eugenio Lopez (22-19-1, 18 KOs) Saturday night at the Auditorio Centenario in Gomez Palacio, Durango, Mexico. (more…)
Photos: Rafael Soto
WBO super featherweight champion Jorge “Travieso” Arce (58-6-2, 45 KOs) gained vengeance with a fourth round stoppage of arch rival Simphiwi Nongqayi (16-2-1, 6 KOs) on Saturday in a grudge rematch at the Foro Promo Casa in Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico. Nongqayi had previously defeated both Arce and his brother but tonight was a different story. Arce came out fast and furious, dropping Nongqayi in round one. A non-stop barrage of punches continued as Arce gave Nongqayi little room to breath. Arce was cut over the right eye during one of several head clashes. The bout was finally waved off in round four as referee Rafael Ramos stepped in. Time was 2:01. (more…)
Former world champion Carlos Tamara (22-6-1, 16 KOs) and Jesus Jimenez (33-7-1, 24 KOs) battled to a controversial twelve round split decision draw on Saturday night in Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico. Tamara seemed a clear winner and battered Jimenez down the stretch, but scores were 114-114, 116-112 Tamara, 114-113 Jiminez.
Flyweight Ricardo Nunez (21-2, 18 KOs) was too strong for Oscar Blanquet (29-3-1, 20 KOs) getting a seventh round TKO. Nunez put Blanquet on the deck in round three and did damage throughout. The bout was finally waved off.
He ducked, dodged and displayed excellent head movement. He threw fanciful single strikes and appeared too comfortable at times.
Lorenz Larkin was all finesse in his unanimous decision win over last minute replacement Nick Rossborough in the evenings’ main event. Rossborough gave as good as he got, throwing a greater volume of punches. The swift defense of Larkin often found his opponent swinging at the air . . . Click here for more
By Karl Freitag
European heavyweight champion Alexander Dimitrenko (32-1, 21 KOs) scored a one-sided twelve round unanimous decision over Michael Sprott (36-17, 17 KOs) at the Dima Sport Center in Hamburg, Germany. The 6’7 Dimitrenko kept Sprott mostly at bay with his jab as he worked from long range banking round after round. A desperate Sprott tried to get back into the fight by roughing up Dimitrenko late. Dimitrenko need time to recover from a low blow in round ten and Sprott was deducted a point by referee Massimo Barrovecchio for hitting after the bell at the conclusion of that round. Sprott was warned for a headbutt in the eleventh and Sprott was deducted another point for throwing Dimitrenko to the canvas in the twelfth. Scores were 119-108, 117-111, 116-111.
WBC #7 heavyweight and former WBC cruiserweight titlist Juan Carlos Gomez (49-3, 37 KOs) surprisingly lost a ten round majority decision to Darnell “The Ding-A-Ling Man” Wilson (23-13, 20 KOs). A lackluster performance by Gomez, who was content to work behind his jab, while Wilson threw big shots are connected with regularity late in the fight. Scores were 96-94, 96-94, 95-95. Nice performance for Wilson who had lost six straight entering the bout. (more…)
Ringside Report By: Mark Vaz
Photography By Emily Harney
Jr. middleweight prospect Demetrius “Boo Boo” Andrade (15-0, 10 KOs) of Providence, RI showcased his considerable skills against veteran Saul “Baby” Duran (38-19-2, 31 KOs) of Chihuahua, Mexico during the main event of Wednesday’s 10th annual “Fight to Educate” fundraiser at Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, NH. (More)
Former three-time undefeated world champion Joan Guzman (30-0-1, 17 KOs) will be now step back into the ring on November 18th. The deal was closed out this past weekend by Steve Swank, CEO of Sosua Bay and Casino, and Guzman manager Jose Nunez. The card is being titled, “Return of the Champion”. The main event will feature Guzman taking on Armando Robles (17-1-1, 9 KOs) of Mexico in a 12 round welterweight bout for the vacant IBF Caribbean title. Site of the event will be the Jaragua Hotel and Casino in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The undercard will feature Juan Carlos Payano, Mikaela Lauren, Jennifer Vicente, and possibly 2008 Olympic Gold Medalist unbeaten Dominican Feliz Diaz.
Photos: Ramon Cairo
After his fourth round win last night over Russian Petr Petrov in his native Argentina before 7,000 enthusiastic fans, Marcos Maidana not only retained his WBA super lightweight title but, more importantly, he is now ready for a big challenge in his return to America. “It was great fighting before my own people. They gave me tremendous support as they always do. I was a little nervous in the first two rounds but then I was able to do what I had been training for. Petrov is a skillful fighter but couldn’t take my punches,” Maidana said.
“Erik Morales has been saying many things and calling me out. It’s not personal ’cause I respect him. He did his part against Cano and I did my part against Petrov. So if he wants the rematch with me and unify the titles, I’m ready for him in December like I’ve said,” “El Chino” added. “He said I didn’t wanna give him the rematch and that was a lie. Plain and simple. He puts his WBC title and I put my WBA title on the line and we have a fight in December. If he’s not ready, he should shut up and I’ll face some of the other big guys. This time I’ll waste no time in repeating my call to The Queen Khan ’cause everybody knows that he runs scared of me,” the WBA super lightweight champ said. (more…)
By Ahmed Santos
Hot Los Mochis, Sinaloa, México prospect Mahonri “Russito” Montes is more than ready to face another difficult roadblock in his way to the top, tonight when he clashes against Nicaraguan tough tester Carlos Wiston Velásquez, in the undercard of Mexican superstar Jorge “Travieso” Arce. “Russito” Montes (22-0-1, 17 KOs) wants to look good against Velásquez (18-12-1 ,10 KOs) – who has given serious problems and surprises in his last two fights to undefeated Mexicans, knowing that it would place him at another level and towards better fights and even a title shot, guided by Latin Sports promotions. The fight is scheduled for 10 rounds at lightweight from the Foro Promocasa in the city of Mexicali, Baja California, México.
. . . .
For more info on UFC 135 or the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
By Pasi Taavitsainen at ringside
Unbeaten light welterweight Denis Shafikov (26-0-1, 15 KOs) scored a ninth round stoppage of Giuseppe Lauri (52-7, 31 KOs to claim the vacant EBU (European) title on Friday night in Helsinki, Finland. Lauri took an eight-count in round eight and didn’t come out for round nine.
Also cruiserweight Juho Haapoja (16-2-1, 10 KOs) outpointed Faisal Ibnel Arrami (13-3, 9 KOs) to claim the vacant EBU-EU belt. Scores were 117-110, 114-113 and 116-111.
By Felipe Leon
Undefeated local favorite super bantamweight Christopher Martin (23-0-2, 6KOs) of San Diego, CA, will make his Top Rank Promotions debut on Saturday, October 1st, on the under card of Toshiaki Nishioka-Rafael Marquez WBC super bantamweight title bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Fox Sports will televise the card.
The world ranked Martin will be facing the battle hardened Jonathan Arias (16-6, 9KOs) of Mexicali, Mexico. The twenty-seven year old Arias is world tested fighter who has faced the likes of Charles Huerta, Joksan Hernandez and Abner Mares. Arias owns wins over Francisco Arce, Jorge Arce’s younger brother, and the very tough Giovanni Caro. In his last bought in August, Arias stopped Mauro Becerra in two. (more…)
WBA super lightweight champion Marcos Maidana (31-2, 28 KOs) scored an impressive fourth round KO over #14 rated Petr Petrov (29-3-2, 13 KOs) on Friday night at the Sociedad Alemana de Villa Ballester in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Petrov was given a count in round one after his glove touched the canvas. He was sent down again at the beginning of the fourth and Maidana finished the job later in the round with a third knockdown. Maidana took the fight against Petrov after his defense against Robert Guerrero fell through due to a Guerrero injury.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.