firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Povetkin takes on Takam today in Moscow
- Weights from San Diego
- Boxing returns to historic Maple Leaf Gardens Saturday
- Boxing Buzz
- Olympian Dogboe making U.S. debut
- Korobov-Lee added to Dec 13 Bradley-Chaves card
- Weights from Fort Washington, MD
- Weights from Somerset, NJ
- Former IBF President Hiawatha Knight Passes
- USA Olympian Jose Ramirez ready for his biggest fight this Saturday
- Undefeated Glenn Dezurn ready for Chacon
Eddy Reynoso, manager and trainer of Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, claims the ongoing rumors of a street fight between Alvarez and Archie Solis are completely false. “Those rumors of a fist fight between Saul and Archie are nothing but lies, Saul’s mind is 100% on Kermit Cintron,” said Reynoso. “His focus is on his training camp and I don’t know where this rumor came from, he is into what he is doing and that is preparing himself very hard to face a tough opponent in Cintron.” Alvarez will make the third defense of his WBC super welterweight championship against Cintron, a former welterweight champion, in Mexico City.
IBF light flyweight world champion Ulises “Archie” Solis says he was beaten up by WBC super welterweight world champion Saul “El Canelo” Alvarez. Solis suffered a fractured jaw and lost a tooth after claiming to be hit by Alvarez with a left hook and a straight right during an altercation at workout area called Barranca de Oblates in Jalisco, Guadalajara where both were training. Canelo allegedly accused Solis of getting too cozy with his girlfriend. Solis, who will undergo surgery tonight, plans to press charges.
Tickets for the November 5 card at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., which is headlined by the WBC International heavyweight title match between undefeated champion Mariusz Wach against former world champ Oliver McCall, are nearly sold out. Previously closed sections are being opened up to accomodate more fans to the event as the need persists in hopes of ensuring that each fan that wants to attend the event live can do so. “We are very pleased with the support we are receiving from the public,” said Mariusz Kolodziej, CEO of the show’s promoter Global Boxing Promotions. “We had a great turnout last time and we’re glad that more people are coming out this time around. We want to give the best shows to the fans, not just the Polish fans but the boxing supporters as well.” (more…)
Santa Anita Park and Top Rank Boxing have announced that Juan Manuel Marquez, who is readying for a title fight with world welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao on Nov. 12 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, will stage a sparring exhibition at Santa Anita Park on Breeders’ Cup Classic Day, Saturday, Nov. 5. Marquez will be joined at Santa Anita by undefeated WBO Junior Welterweight Champion Timothy Bradley, who will be defending his title on Nov. 12 versus Cuban native Joel Casamayor. Marquez and Bradley will each spar (separately) in a track-side ring between races on Saturday afternoon. Admission to the boxing exhibition will be free, with paid admission. Santa Anita’s admission gates will open early on Nov. 5 at 8 a.m. First live race post time is 10:20 a.m., and the first televised Breeders’ Cup race from Churchill Downs is scheduled for 12:05 p.m. A boxing ring will be transported from the trainer Freddie Roach’s Wild Card Gym in Hollywood and will be erected on Santa Anita’s apron adjoining the winner’s circle, earlier in the week. Top Rank will provide 10,000 Pacquiao-Marquez III posters, free of charge at Santa Anita on a first-come, first-served basis, and Santa Anita will conduct a drawing for two tickets to Pacquiao-Marquez III in Las Vegas.
Photos: Chris Farina/Top Rank
Son of the legend and undefeated WBC middleweight champion, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and “The Pride of Providence” Peter Manfredo Jr. announce their upcoming world title fight, Saturday, Nov. 19 at Reliant Arena in Houston, Texas. Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Zanfer Promotions, DiBella Entertainment and Tecate, Chavez Jr. vs Manfredo Jr. will be televised on HBO Boxing After Dark. Click here for more photos…
By Mike Bernier
Undefeated Lucian Bute (29-0, 24 KOs) is ready to defend his super middleweight IBF belt for the ninth time against former light heavyweight champion Glen “The Road Warrior” Johnson (51-15-2 35KOs). The fight will take place in Bute’s hometown of Quebec City, Canada live at the Pepsi Coliseum on Saturday, November 5th on Showtime Championship Boxing, 9PM EST.
Lucian Bute: “I’ve been in camps for the past seven weeks and it feels like I’m training in preparation for the Super Six Tournament against the creditable Glen Johnson. I’m working hard in camp and I’m very confident that on November 5th I’ll put on a great performance.”
Glen Johnson: “I have huge plans moving forward, I feel great. I plan on putting on a tremendous performance and I expect to come out victorious. I have no problem making 168, it’s not an issue, we will make weight, and it gets easier each time.”
Johnson will turn 43 two months after the fight.
Both boxers, while training in 2009 for their rematches against Librado Andrade and Chad Dawson, sparred almost 100 rounds against one another. They didn’t spar with anyone else.
Bute: “It built my confidence. It was hard competitive sparring, we wanted to win every day.”
Johnson: “It was great work, we both accomplished our goals, I believe we both got better.”
Both men will put their friendship behind them when they step into the ring and resume it at the conclusion of the fight. Ticket sales for the fight are going well according to a representative from Bute’s promoter, Interbox. 13,000 tickets have been sold with fewer than 3,000 still available.
By David Finger
The 24th Annual WBO Convention returned home this week to San Juan, Puerto Rico at the Ritz Carlton. Monday kicked off with arguably the most popular event of the week, the 14th Annual Golf Tournament. That evening, WBO President Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel briefly spoke during the Welcome cocktail reception, thanking the members from all over the world for once again coming out to join the WBO. Citing the recent economic downturn, he acknowledged the financial sacrifice may of the members made and thanked them for their dedication to the sport and to the WBO. Today’s events will include the General Assembly, the opening ceremony, and the regional vice presidents reports. Click here for more photos…
The newly-founded New York State Boxing Hall of Fame (“NYSBHOF”), sponsored by Ring 8, held a press conference today at famed Gallagher’s Steakhouse in Manhattan to announce its inaugural class of inductees. The late, great “Sugar” Ray Robinson, arguably the greatest boxer of all-time, leads a star-studded list of 12 boxers and eight non-participants who will be inducted into the NYSBHOF at its inaugural induction dinner, which is tentatively scheduled for next March in New York City. Boxers joining Robinson are “Iron” Mike Tyson, Jake “Bronx Bull” LaMotta, Carmen “Upstate Onion Farmer” Basilio, Riddick “Big Daddy” Bowe, Carlos Ortiz, Mike “Bodysnatcher” McCallum and the late Gene “The Fighting Marine” Tunney, Benny “The Ghetto Wizard” Leonard and Tony Canzoneri.
Non-participant inductees include judge/HBO analyst Harold Lederman, coach/instructor Steve Acunto, trainer/cut-man Jimmy Glenn and, posthumously, trainers Gil Clancy and Ray Arcel, Ring Magazine founder Nat Fleischer, New York Daily News boxing reporter/cartoonist Bill Gallo, and referee Arthur Mercante, Sr.
Former welterweight champion Joshua Clottey (35-4, 20 KOs) will return to the ring for the first time since his March 2010 loss to Manny Pacquiao on Top Rank’s November 19 Chavez-Manfredo card in Houston, Texas. Clottey will face Calvin Green (21-6-1, 13 KOs). Featherweight phenom Roberto Marroquin (20-1, 14 KOs) will also fight on the card.
The recent flooding in Thailand has devasted the country leaving thousands homeless and without electricity. Amongst those are the fighters of boxing promoter OneSongchai, whose roster includes world ranked fighters such as Chonlatarn Piriyapinyo, Pungluang Sor Singyu, Kwanpichit 13 Rien Express, and female world champion Teeraporn Pannimit to name a few. The promoter’s gym where the fighters train is no longer visible because of the flooding. (more…)
Report and photo by Pepe Rodriguez / WBC
Today the WBC President Jose Suliaman announced in his weekly conference that Cristian “El “Italiano” Esquivel (24-2, 18 KOs), from Mexico, and Shinsuke Yamanaka (14-0, 10 KOs), from Japan, will fight in an eliminator bantamweight bout, and if Nonito Donaire vacates the title the fight between Esquivel and Yamanaka is still an eliminator bout.
Esquivel and Yamanaka are lined up to meet November 6 at Yoyogi Gymnasium #2 in Tokyo, Japan. Esquivel said “This is the most important fight of my boxing career and I made the best preparation of my life, I will be traveling to Japan next October 31, with my trainer Rudy Perez, and my friend Alfredo Melo. And, if God wills, I will be back as the WBC bantamweight official challenger.”
By Ron Jackson
Two South African world champions will be in IBF title fights this coming weekend when Moruti Mthalane makes the third defense of his IBF flyweight belt when he meets Andrea Sarritzu from Italy at the PalaRockfeller in Cagliari, Italy on Friday night and Takalani Ndlovu defends his IBF junior featherweight belt against Giovanni Caro of Mexico at the Palenque de la Feria, Colima in Mexico on Saturday night. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
WBC middleweight mandatory challenger Marco Antonio “Veneno” Rubio is in Orlando, Florida, training with WBA super welterweight world champion Miguel Cotto. Cotto is preparing for his December 3 rematch against Mexican Antonio Margarito, so looking for the best to get well this important fight. Sources says Rubio training for a possible fight on Saturday December 17 in Mexico against an opponent to be named, although the name of Matt Vanda has been mentioned. Rubio has been repeatedly calling out WBC middleweight world champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. to make his mandatory defense.
Undefeated welterweight Ronald Cruz (14-0, 11 KOs) takes on Anges Adjaho (25-6, 14 KOs) in a scheduled eight-round contest on November 19 at Bally’s Atlantic City. The Cruz-Adjaho match will serve as the semifinal to the 12-round main event which features Garrett Wilson making the first defense of his USBA cruiserweight title against Chuck Mussachio. Cruz was previously scheduled to box Adjaho on September 9, but a wrist injury suffered in training forced Adjaho to withdraw.
Undefeated WBA super welterweight champion Austin “No Doubt” Trout will defend against Frank LoPorto on Friday, Nov. 11, in the main event of a ShoBox: The New Generation tripleheader LIVE on SHOWTIME® at 11:05 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast) from Cohen Stadium in El Paso, Texas. The 12-round championship bout will be the second title defense for Trout (23-0, 13 KOs), of Las Cruces, N.M., and the U.S. debut for LoPorto (15-4, 7 KOs), of Victoria, Australia.
In the ShoBox co-featured fights, undefeated prospect Jonathan Gonzalez (14-0, 13 KOs), of Puerto Rico, will face Gabriel Rosado (18-5, 10 KOs), of Philadelphia, in a 10-round junior middleweight bout and Michael Oliveira (15-0, 12 KOs), of Miami, Fla., will face an opponent to be announced in an eight-round middleweight bout. (more…)
Story and photos by Boxing Bob Newman
This Friday in Albany, New York, Ares Promotions will be presenting it’s sixth pro boxing card in the “Fight Night” Series, fittingly dubbed “Trick Or Beat.” While the card pits familiar local favorites against imports, arguably the most popular fight in the bill is the least experienced in the pro ranks. Javier “Javy” Martinez has only one pro bout under his belt, but judging by his popularity, one would think he’s an undefeated, long-time boxing champion. That he is not, but to many, including Martinez himself, he’s already won in the battle of life. (more…)
Only a few day remain for WBC Latino welterweight champion Artemio “King” Reyes (13-1, 11 KOs) before he takes on Javier “El Intocable” Molina (9-0, 4 KOs) this Friday on the fan favorite Showtime boxing series ShoBox: The Next Generation live from Bally’s in Atlantic City . . . click here for more
It took just over seven years of being a professional in the sport, a case of walking pneumonia and a former UFC heavyweight champion, but Roy Nelson’s cardio looked bad in a fight. For all the haters and harpies of his trademark tummy, UFC 130 was really a unique experience seeing “Big Country” gassed in the second and third round while being outwrestled by Frank Mir. The Ultimate Fighter season 10 winner knows best how uncharacteristic his performance was, he’s owned up to it and he is ready to move on from it . . . Click here for more by Jordan Newmark, UFC.com
. . . .
For more on UFC 137 or the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
Report and photo by Pepe Rodriguez/WBC
On Monday, WBC super welterweight world champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez began boxing training for what will be the third defense of the title he won last March 5 in Anaheim, California against Matthew “Magic” Hatton. Alvarez (38-0-1, 28 KOs), will be risking his belt on November 26 in Mexico against former world champion Kermit The “Killer” Cintron (33-4-1, 28 KOs), who among other things, once defeated Alfredo El “Perro” Angulo. This time, the undefeated champion will not train in the Big Bear Mountains of Southern California as he did for his last two fights, but instead will make his preparations in Guadalajara, Mexico, and two weeks before the fight, he’ll close his training camp in Mexico City. Today, Alvarez will be traveling to Mexico City to be present at the press conference where the place of the bout will be announced.
Boxing returns to Maywood, California on Saturday as Big Star Promotions along with ShowDown Promotions and Union Boxing Management present a six fight card, headlined by a clash between the son of one of Mexico’s hardest punchers of all time, former welterweight world champion Pipino Cuevas. Pipino Cuevas Jr. (14-8, 12 KOs) will be taking on undefeated Andrey Klimov (11-0, 6 KOs) with the WBC USNBC Lightweight title at stake in the ten round main event. The undercard will feature undefeated lightweight Jessie Roman (7-0, 5 KOs) in a four rounder against Cesar Garcia 3-8. The event takes place at the Las Trancas Banquet Hall located at 5351 S. Atlantic Blvd in Maywood. Tickets are $50. Doors open at 6PM, with the first bell at 7PM. For further information call 562-458-5847.
Story and photos by Bill Hillmann
Angelo Dundee recently turned 90 years old. They held a special birthday celebration for him at the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame in Chicago last weekend. Dundee recently had hip replacement surgery and used a walker in his entrance. Even so, Dundee is still full of that famed boisterous spunk.
When asked for an interview by Fightnews he replied “Of Course! Every time you snap a picture, or ask me a question, I say thank you! God-bless you! Cause that means I’m still alive!” (more…)
Countdown to UFC 137 Premieres Tonight: Follow BJ Penn and Nick Diaz as they prepare for their welterweight battle this Saturday night in Las Vegas! Tonight at 11:30pm on SPIKE (also on Sportsnet in Canada this Wednesday at 9pm)
UFC Encyclopedia In Stores Now: 400 pages covering 18 years of UFC history, featuring over 300 fighters, over 170 event results, the UFC Hall of Fame, Octagon Girls and more! This is a must-have book no UFC fan should be without.
. . . .
For more on UFC 137 or the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
By Mike Bernier
Photos: Chris Farina/Top Rank
Mike Lee, Delvin Rodriquez, Mike Jones and Pawel Wolak pose during a press conference to announce their feature fights on the upcoming undercard of the Miguel Cotto-Antonio Margarito world championship card on December 3 at Madison Square Garden in New York.
Wolak and Rodriguez will reprise their “Fight of the Year” candidate clash from July; Jones (25-0, 19 KOs), the #1-rated contender, will be defending his titles in a 12-round IBF welterweight title elimination bout against Sebastian Lujan (38-5-2, 24 KOs); Lee (7-0, 4 KOs), the nationally-popular University of Notre Dame graduate, will be making his New York debut.
It was also officially announced that WBA lightweight world champion Brandon Rios will be defending his belt for the second time against John Murray.
Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum announced that there are less than 4,000 tickets remaining. The card will also be seen live on pay-per-view.
Click here for more photos…
By Francisco Salazar
With all the traveling that Robert Garcia has done in the last couple of weeks, you would think he is accumulating frequent flyer miles. Instead, he has been traveling across the country and abroad to prepare his fighters for title defenses or to win world title belts. Garcia confirmed to Fightnews.com on Friday night that he will be training super welterweight contender Antonio Margarito in Mexico City and not in Oxnard, CA. He also confirmed that lightweight world title holder Brandon Rios will join him in one of the largest metropolitan cities in the world. (more…)
Bernabe Concepcion was once considered one of the top boxing prospects in the Philippines but after losing three of his last four fights he needs to get back in the winning track and will try to do so this Thursday night when he takes on Aaron Garcia of San Diego in the main event of “Pinoy Invasion” a professional boxing card presented by MP Promotions and Top Rank at the San Manuel Indian Bingo & Casino in Highland, California.
And sitting at ringside on Thursday will be his mentor and promoter, Manny Pacquiao, the pound per pound boxing king who still has high hopes for Concepcion. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.