email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Weights from Las Vegas
- Weights from San Diego, Ca
- Boxing Buzz
- Cleverly, Bellew make weight for grudge rematch in Liverpool
- Puerta confident of dethroning Miura
- Cohen/Salita team up to promote Jarrell Miller
- Ronald Hearns returns December 12
- Fight Night Austin Prelim Fantasy Preview
- Pacquiao vs Marquez 5?
- More Camera Clicks from Macau
- Rhodes, Omotoso, Estrada victorious at Sportsman's Lodge
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
In information obtained by Fightnews.com, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer apparently has three names in mind to replace Victor Ortiz as the challenger for WBC super welterweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on September 15 in the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Among those believed to be in the running are WBA super welterweight world champion Austin “No Doubt” Trout and former WBO welterweight champion Carlos “El Indio” Quintana. That bout would be going head-to-head against a card headlined by Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Sergio Martinez.
By Francisco Salazar
Antonio DeMarco has been in the news lately, as he is scheduled to take on lightweight contender John Molina on September 8th at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, CA. However, the hard-hitting lightweight world title holder had been given the green light to fight Daniel Estrada on July 28th this whole time, according to John Beninati, matchmaker for Gary Shaw Productions. The DeMarco-Estrada bout will take place in Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico. Beninati sent a letter to Fightnews.com on Sunday, where it stated that the promotional company gave DeMarco permission to make a voluntary defense on a fight card promoted by Antonio Lozada. The letter was written and sent out last Tuesday. According to Beninati, it had been incorrectly reported that Shaw did not sign off on De Marco fighting Estrada on July 28th. De Marco fighting Estrada was already in the works prior to DeMarco-Molina being made a few weeks ago. (more…)
Lopez Meets the Press after Upset Win; Matthysse Speaks; Canelo talks September 15
By Miguel Maravilla
Shortly after his spectacular win Riverside’s Josesito Lopez spoke to the media at the post fight press conference at Staples Center Saturday night as he scored a ninth round technical knockout over “Vicious” Victor Ortiz of Oxnard in this southern California showdown. Ortiz suffered a suspected broken jaw which forced him to quit at the end of round nine.
Lopez, as would be expected, was in high spirits when he came to the podium. “I came in good shape and ready to go to war with Victor Ortiz,” Lopez said.
Regarding the Ortiz rabbit punch that caused a lengthy break in the action, Lopez stated, “He hit me in the back of the head/neck. I felt like a little pulled muscle but I was ready to go. There is no quitting in me….Ortiz hits hard. He’s strong and he got me a few times. There were times where he got my attention, but at no point was I hurt,” Lopez told Fightnews.com. “This is my Rocky moment I am in still in somewhat of a shock but we did it,” Josesito stated. (more…)
Carson Jones has vowed to punish Kell Brook when they meet in an IBF welterweight title eliminator on July 7 after Brook predicted he will KO the American. Brook and Jones clash at the Motorpoint Arena Sheffield on July 7 and Brook raised the stakes last week when he promised to knock out the Oklahoma fighter to claim a shot at the title. Rated one spot higher in the rankings than Brook at number three, Jones travels to England for the first time in his career and says he’ll make ‘The Special One’ pay for calling him a quitter and grab the title chance for himself.
“This kid is confused about what he is up against,” said Jones. “There is no quit in me, which is why I am in this position I am in right now. I never gave up.” Jones said he wasn’t impressed by Brook’s destructive 12 round win over Matthew Hatton and Brook himself admitted that he needed to be nastier against Jones – and the visitor has his own take on that claim. “I agree we will see the nasty Kell Brook, because after I beat the hell out of him his face will look very nasty,” said Jones. The 25 year old has stopped his last eight opponents on his way to facing Brook, and the USBA champ has got his eye on another British fight should he beat Brook in his backyard. “Amir Khan is a good boxer but I don’t think he has the heart to match,” said Jones of the Bolton boxer linked to a future showdown with Brook. “And I think I would stop him just like I will Kell Brook.”
It is official: Alexander Povetkin (24-0, 16 KOs) will defend his title against Hasim Rahman (50-7-2, 41 KOs) at the Sporthalle Hamburg on July 14. Originally the WBA-Champion was scheduled to fight in London but has now opted to do so in Hamburg instead. “It is due to organizational aspects,” said Chris Meyer, managing director of Sauerland Event. “The English time schedule was too tight. We wouldn’t have been able to guarantee that the fight could have been broadcasted live in Germany. Therefore the heavyweight world championship will be staged in Hamburg.”
A good decision, believes Meyer: “There are not a lot of cities in Germany which can host such an event on such short notice. Hamburg is a real boxing city with a great audience and a lot of boxing tradition. Furthermore the city possesses the required infrastructure to host such a big event.” (more…)
From the end of World War II through the early 1950s, the Golden Era of West Coast Boxing was alive and well in Hollywood, California with regular shows at the legendary Hollywood Legion Stadium on Gower and El Centro. In the early 1960s, “The Brown Bomber” himself, Joe Louis, promoted weekly shows at The Moulin Rouge Night Club on Sunset Blvd..
Right up the street on Hollywood Blvd., Florentine Gardens, which originally opened in 1938, served as one of the hottest Supper Clubs in Hollywood. A Who’s Who of Tinseltown’s elite would frequent the Florentine Gardens, including Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable, Rudolph Valentino, and Errol Flynn. A young starlet named Norma Jean Baker celebrated her first wedding at Florentine Gardens…and would later become Marilyn Monroe.
On Thursday, July 12, 2012, Art of Boxing Promotions, in association with Bash Boxing, will evoke memories from the Golden Era of West Coast Boxing with the launch of a new professional boxing series at the Legendary Florentine Gardens in Hollywood. “Hollywood Fight Night” will include 10 professional boxing bouts featuring fighters from Hollywood and its surrounding areas. (more…)
Alexander Povetkin’s WBA World Heavyweight title defence against Hasim Rahman has been withdrawn from the show at West Ham United on Saturday 14th July. The fight was to feature on the card being topped by David Haye and Dereck Chisora’s eagerly awaited WBO/WBA International heavyweight showdown. Due to licensing conditions at West Ham United, Haye vs Chisora could not start later than 10pm and with German TV network ARD insisting, due to their Saturday night scheduling, that Povetkin vs Rahman must fill that slot and be before Haye vs Chisora, that time frame was impossible to work to. The show is being televised in sixty-plus countries, many with more than a one hour time difference, so to get everyone to agree to ARD’s preferred order would be impossible.
EPIX will broadcast the fight live in the USA and they need to be comfortable with the start time too. If Haye vs Chisora, which is the main attraction on the show, was to go on before Povetkin vs Rahman it would have had to start no later than 8:20pm meaning that Povetkin v Rahman could potentially have taken place in front of an empty stadium with the majority of fans leaving to catch trains and other public transport. (more…)
In the eyes of Josesito Lopez, everything about his scheduled 12 round welterweight bout against Victor Ortiz on Saturday night was stacked against him.
The perception that Lopez would not withstand Ortiz’s power, the media paying more attention to Ortiz’s September showdown against super welterweight world title holder Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, and a pro-Ortiz crowd during the fight were some of the factors Lopez dealt with.
While it would have been admirable to assume Lopez would earn a moral victory for lasting 12 rounds against Ortiz and earn a good payday, Lopez was more optimistic than people gave him credit for. Optimistic enough to shock the boxing world and win the biggest fight of his career . . . Click here for more
Report and photos by Jessy Kelley
In a clash of unbeaten jr middleweights, Cerresso Fort (13-0-1, 10 KOs) won a hard fought majority decision over Dave Peterson (13-1, 8 KOs) Saturday night at the Black Bear Casino in Carlton, MN. The action picked up after a slow first round with both fighters giving their best effort which left them bloody and marked up by the end of the fight. Peterson surprised everybody by coming forward early and controlling the flow inside the tiny ring despite normally being the counter puncher. Peterson was winning the battle on the inside in the early going while Fort timed in counter shots to the head. During a close third round, an accidental clash of heads left Fort with a gash over his left eye. Fort took Peterson’s assumed roll as counter puncher and landed some nice shots to the head and body afterwards. Peterson did his best work in rounds four and five while landing uppercuts and being first to the punch. Fort’s mouth was open and he was looking a bit winded in those rounds. Fort however rallied big in the sixth as he now began to push the action behind a clubbing right while pushing the faster pace which better suited him. More great action in round seven but Fort secured the fight on the judges cards by having his best round of the fight in the eighth and final round. Both fighters gained a ton of respect from local fans for their effort and afterwards each fighter said they want to go at it again later this year in the Twin Cities area. Official scores read 77-75 twice for Fort and 76-76 giving Fort the victory. (more…)
By Christopher Cook
Photos: Christopher Cook
The Florida Boxing Hall of Fame family grew by twenty-one, as the Class of 2012 was inducted this afternoon. A mixture of fighters, media, participants, promoters, doctors, and trainers made for a memorable afternoon, one where greats of the past met greats of the present. The class of 2012 included the great Roberto Duran and Aaron Pryor, great trainers Jim McLoughlin and John Russell, one of the most influential women in the sport Dana Jamison of Don King Productions among others.
Held at the beautiful Westshore Wyndham Hotel in Tampa, Florida, not even the torrential rainfall of Tropical Storm Debby could stop the hundreds that attended this event. Those that attended were treated to the lesser known side of boxing, the personal side, the relationships built over years in the sport. Most know only have the action that happens inside the squared-circle, and not of the sacrifices made by families, friends, and boxers to pursue their pugilistic dream. Sitting back and listening to the inductees speak of their history, stories, and experiences displayed the human side of the sport, creating memories for all that attended. (more…)
By Gary “Digital” Williams at ringside
Photos: Tri Nguyen/TriNguyenPhotography.com
Fighting before a raucous, partisan crowd at the Smith Gymnasium on the Fort Myer/Henderson Hall Joint Military Base in Arlington, VA, Fairfax, VA junior welterweight Todd “White Lightning” Wilson remained undefeated with a six-round unanimous decision over John Willoughby of Selma, AL. Wilson won despite possibly breaking his left hand in the second round. A clash of heads also forced Wilson to suffer a cut along his right eye in the third. Willoughby, a late sub who fought eight days prior to this bout, proved to be very tough for Wilson, who is now 14-0, four KOs while John Willoughby is now 3-13, two KOs. (more…)
By Phil Doherty at ringside
Photos: Ralph Notaro
Former world heavyweight title contender Davarryl “Touch of Sleep” Williamson (27-7, 23 KOs) intended to use Saturday’s championship bout against Tony “TNT” Grano (20-2-1, 16 KOs) as a “checkup” of his career. Fighting for the vacant NABF heavyweight crown against a man twelve years his junior, the forty-three year old Williamson wanted to see how his reflexes felt; judging his boxing future on a case-by case basis. Williamson told Fightnews during Wednesday’s press conference he intended to create separation during the twelve-round main event of the Viva Don King II card from Hollywood’s Seminole Hard Rock Live. Unfortunately, Grano was the man completing that task, separating Williamson from his senses with a punishing combination at 2:27 of the fourth round and “touching” Davarryl with a type of sleep particular to pugilism. (more…)
Middleweight Hector Camacho Jr. (54-4-1, 29 KOs) scored a first round KO over late sub John David Charles (7-5, 1 KO) on Saturday night at the La Villita Maverick Plaza in San Antonio, Texas. Camacho finished Charles with a body shot at 2:05. Charles, who has now dropped five of his last six fights, took the fight on 48 hours’ notice.
Joseph Rios W6 Joel Garcia (super flyweight)
Christina Ruiz D4 Nohime Dennisson (super bantamweight)
Rolando Campos W4 Henry Hernandez (lightweight)
Unbeaten heavyweight Deontay Wilder moved to 23-0 with 23 KOs after a stoppage of former world title challenger Owen Beck (29-11, 20 KOs) on Saturday night at the Killer Buzz Arena in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The 2008 Olympic bronze medalist dropped Beck once in rounds one and two, and twice in round three. Beck, who suffered his eighth straight loss, was unable to come out for the fourth round. Wilder plans to return to the ring at the end of July.
Alexis Santos TKO1 Dustin Nichols (heavyweight)
Gundrick King W4 Billy Cunningham (light heavyweight)
Ray Ray Bryant W4 Anthony Middlebrooks (jr welterweight)
Keandrae Leatherwood TKO3 Mikel Williams (super middleweight)
Anthony Greeley W4 Keith Thompson (heavyweight)
Six fighters joined UFC® executive Marshall Zelasnik at the UFC® 147 post-fight press conference: Rich Franklin, Fabricio Werdum, Marcos Vinicius, Cezar Ferreira, Rony Jason, and Rodrigo Damm.
Fight of the Night went to headliners Franklin and Wanderlei Silva. The two legends picked up right where they left off in their first meeting, exchanging punches and kicks in an exciting back-and-forth brawl. Despite nearly being knocked out late in the second round, Franklin hung on to earn a unanimous decision.
Vinicius earned Knockout of the Night for his come-from-behind stoppage of Wagner Campos. “Vina” survived several submission attempts from Campos before using knees and punches to end the fight in the third frame . . . Click here for more at UFC.com
. . . .
For more on the UFC visit www.UFC.com
By Miguel Maravilla
With both a loss and a suspected broken jaw, Victor Ortiz is out of the running to challenge WBC super welterweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in September. Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer confirmed Saturday night that Alvarez will definitely be fighting on September 15 and they’ll discuss possibile new opponents this week. Canelo stated that he’s ready to fight anyone. He was originally slated to face Paul Williams, who was severely injured in a motorcycle accident. Then it was Victor Ortiz, who opted to go ahead with a previously scheduled bout against Josesito Lopez. Josesito says he’s willing to take on Canelo if given the opportunity.
Canelo vs. TBA will be going up against a competing pay-per-view card headlined by Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Sergio Martinez the same night in the same city.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Photos: Rafael Soto / Zanfer
Super flyweight David “Tornado” Sanchez (22-2, 17 KOs) won by second round TKO against Eliezer Quezada (14-3, 14 KOs) on Saturday night at the Centro de Usos Múltiples in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico.
That was matched by the second round KO of flyweight Juan Francisco “El Gallo” Estrada (22-1, 17 KOs) against Filipino Ardin Diale (18-7-3, 5 KOs).
But lightweight Luis “Artisan” Cruz (20-1, 16 KOs) one-upped Sanchez and Estrada by blasting out journeyman Tomas Sierra (16-24, 12 KOs) in the first round. More photos…
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Photos: Alma Montiel and Pepe Rodriguez
Unbeaten 18-year-old bantamweight phenom Andres “Jaguarcito” Gutierrez (22-0-1, 19 KOs) stayed unbeaten with a ninth round TKO over Colombia’s Onalvi Sierra (24-5-1, 21 KOs) in a 12-rounder for the vacant IBF International title on Saturday at Gimnasio Municipal Miguel Hidalgo in Puebla, Mexico.
In the co-feature, Yazmiin “La Rusita” Rivas (25-7, 9 KOs) successfully defended her IBF female bantamweight title against Nydia Feliciano (5-3-3) via ten round unanimous decision.
Scores were 100-90, 98-91 and 97-93.
In a clash for the WBC female light flyweight world title, Esmeralda Moreno (24-6, 9 KOs) won a ten round unanimous decision over previously unbeaten Naomi Togashi (10-1-1, 5 KOs). Scores were 98-92, 99-94 and 97-93. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Peruvian prospect David “La Pantera” Zegarra (19-0, 14 KOs) retained his WBA Fedelatin welterweight title after winning a unanimous decision (100-90, 99-91, 100-90) against Ecuadorian Eduardo Flores (11-8-3, 8 KOs). Zegarra dominated the entire fight.
Peruvian featherweight prospect Carlos Zambrano (15-0, 8 KOs) won by knockout in round three against Brazilian Darli Gonçalvez (20-14-1, 11 KOs) to win the WBA featherweight Fedelatin crown.
The event took place at the Coliseo Miguel Grau in Callao, Peru and was presented by local promoter Jorge Bartra.
In a long-awaited rematch, Rich Franklin outpointed Wanderlei Silva in the main event of the UFC 147 fight card held tonight at the Felipe Drummond Stadium in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. Both men came out swinging, but Franklin got the better of the exchanges in the first. Silva finished the second round by nearly taking out Franklin, but the former champ survived the assault to outpoint Silva in the last three rounds. All three judges gave Franklin the decision, 49-46.
Also see: Mutante and Jason are Ultimate Fighters
. . . .
For more on the UFC visit www.UFC.com
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.