firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Gamalier Rodriguez ready for Dos Santos
- Bergman headlines WV Card
- Derric Rossy opponent named
- Pavlik pleads not guilty to drunk driving
- Roy Jones Jr: Everyone wants to beat a legend. I will not let it happen
- Martin Murray: I think I can beat anyone on my day, including Golovkin
- Javier "Chatito" Jauregui mourned
- Hall: Big crowd will spur me on to world title
- Soliman stops Sherrington, takes aim at Sturm
- Leo Santa Cruz: I will go out there and leave it all in the ring
Dee Lee Promotions, Inc., in association with Resorts Casino Hotel present ‘The Next Generation,’ a historic evening of boxing showcasing several of the sport’s greatest blood-lines as the sons of George Foreman, Dave Tiberi and Bruce Seldon step into the ring on March 4 in Atlantic City in the new Resorts’ inaugural boxing event. USBA junior middleweight champion Derek ‘Pooh’ Ennis, (22-2-1, 13 KOs) is slated to fight a 10-rounder in the main event. Heavyweight George ‘Monk’ Foreman (10-0, 9 KOs), featherweight Joey Tiberi (2-1, 2 KOs) and super middleweight Isiah Seldon (3-0, 1 KO), as well as cruiserweight Jaywon Woods (8-1-1, 5 KOs), son of former heavyweight contender Darrol Wilson, also will be featured. It remains to be seen if the sons will match the storied past of their famous fathers, but all dads are planning to be ringside on March 4 to support their pugilistic progeny. Doors open at 7:00 p.m., with the first bout slated for 8:00 p.m. Tickets go on sale at noon on Feb. 5, 2011 and are priced at $40, $55, $75, and $100. Call 1-856-692-1206.
By Felipe Leon
Boxing returns with a bang to “America’s Finest City” San Diego, CA, when Golden Boy Promotions and Jorge Marron Productions return to the Four Points Sheraton Hotel to present “Test of Courage” televised by spanish language Telefutura’s weekly boxing series “Solo Boxeo Tecate” this Friday night, January 28th. In the eight round main event, highly touted featherweight Charles Huerta (16-1, 9KOs) makes the short trek south from Paramount, CA, to take on the undefeated Raul Hirales Jr (11-0-1, 7KOs) of La Paz, MX.
Since his only loss back in ’09, Huerta has strung together six consecutive wins including a sixth round KO of Jonathan Arias and in his last bout last December, a unanimous decision over Arturo Camargo. Hirales, who usually fights as a super bantamweight. has not faced opponents as strong as Huerta, with his toughest competition to date being Tijuana’s Fernando “Ferocito” Vargas who he fought to a draw late last year. (more…)
Three-time world champion “Ferocious” Fernando Vargas has announced that he is launching Vargas Entertainment Promotions (VEP) and promises to bring in some of the top boxers in the nation. Rumor has it that the 33-year-old may give the company a jump start by returning to the ring himself. In any event, “El Feroz” will be honored with his very own star on the “Las Vegas Walk of Fame” tomorrow at a press conference at the Palms Casino Resort. “I look forward to sharing my announcement with the world and bringing back the real definition of traditional boxing to the world thru VEP,” said Vargas.
Courtesy Jim Jenkins, Sacramento Bee
An apparent dispute involving the promoter and the International Boxing Federation has forced yet another postponement of a title-elimination fight between Sacramento light heavyweight Otis Griffin (23-6-2) and Yusaf Mack (28-3-2) of New York. Originally, the top-10 IBF contenders were supposed to fight Jan. 7 in Minneapolis, Minn., with the victor to challenge champion Tavoris Cloud. Severe weather, however, delayed the scheduled 12-rounder to Feb. 4 and to a new venue in Bloomington, Minn. Now the fight is up in the air once more, according to Griffin, because of differences between Tony Grygelko of Seconds Out Promotions and the sanctioning IBF.
Griffin would like to see the fight take place by March and switch to California. “Who knows?” he said of the specific reasons behind the newest snag.. “But I do have a contract to fight Mack when this is resolved.” Griffin, a correctional officer out of the ring, blamed a contract dispute for rejecting a direct chance to face Cloud for the 175-pound title late last year.
Christy Martin is training at the Top Rank Gym in Las Vegas to get set for her match against Dakota Stone on the Cotto vs. Mayorga Pay Per View event at the MGM Grand on March 12. …Miguel Diaz is the chief trainer for Christy….
Hot prospect Jesse Magdaleno of Las Vegas returns to the ring Feb 26, going onto the Miguel Acosta vs. Brandon Rios fight title card at The Palms Hotel Casino in Las Vegas. Jesse will box in a four round featherweight bout. Showtime will broadcast the main event.
World champions Juan Manuel Lopez, Michael Carbajal and Fernando Vargas were the Top Rank Live! event last Saturday at the Texas Station Gambling Hall & Casino in Las Vegas. Carbajal, the great champion from Phoenix, was there to take his first look at Jose Benavidez, the unbeaten prospect from Phoenix.
Happy birthday to Fightnews.com feature writer Ricardo Conde.
The Son of the Legend, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., will be featured on a 30-minute preview show before he takes Billy Lyell on Fox Deportes on Saturday, January 29 in Culiacan, Mexico. Highlights of previous Chavez Jr fights, including his victory over Irish John Duddy, and training footage will be on the preview show which was produced by Marty Corwin, Director of TV Production for Top Rank. The preview show will begin at 9:30 pm eastern as a prelude to the main event. Chavez Jr., 41-0-1, 30 KOs, of Culiacan, will take on Lyell, 22-8-0, 4 KOs, of Youngstown, Ohio at 10 pm eastern/10 pm pacific. The bout will be at the Banorte Soccer Stadium in Culiacan.
Fightnews.com is sad to inform the boxing community that longtime photographer Roger Williams passed away yesterday in Phoenix, Ariz. Williams, 69 or 76, depending on the source, was part of the Fightnews team for many years, and had been a familiar face at ringside for over 20 years. He was also a UPI, Washington Post and White House photographer. Services for Williams are pending.
Paul McCloskey’s promoter Barry Hearn accused Amir Khan of using his fighter to get a cheap world title defence after closing the book on their deal to fight in Manchester. McCloskey and Khan were in negotiations to fight for Amir’s WBA Light-Welterweight belt at the MEN Arena on April 16 but with both parties failing to agree on terms for the fight, the 31 year-old will now turn his attention to his next fight. McCloskey’s promoter Barry Hearn said that Khan’s offer was “totally derisory” to his fighter, after the 24 year-old Bolton man and his people refused to budge on ticket sales commission and pay-per-view revenue shares. Hearn said that McCloskey would be a big ticket seller for the fight and he would also push pay-per-view sales in Northern Ireland and Ireland, but that Khan was unwilling to offer a fair share of money largely driven by McCloskey’s presence.
“Amir Khan lives in America and wants to earn a living popping over here and underpaying British fighters,” said Hearn. “The deals placed on the table were an insult to Paul, an undefeated fighter and a European champion. Amir cannot fight himself, and I’m afraid you have to pay opponents to step in the ring with you, and pay them fairly.” (more…)
WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko and mandatory challenger Odlanier Solis participated yesterday in a press conference at LANXESS Arena in Cologne, Germany to announce their fight on March 19. The arena is the home field of the Cologne Sharks ice hockey team. “Solis is an Olympic gold medalist, therefore I give him respect,” stated Klitschko. “He’s a very good and strong fighter. I like that because it means it is going to be a tough fight. But he is lacking experience and that is why I will knock him out. It is going to be a real battle. But there is no doubt that I will leave the ring still as world champion.” (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
WBA lightweight world champion Miguel “Aguacerito” Acosta met the pre-weight requirement in Caracas, Venezuela, one month ahead of his first defense of the world belt on February 26 at the Palms Casino in Las Vegas, against Brandon “Bam Bam” Rios. Under the supervision of the National boxing chief Nicolás Hidalgo and accompanied “Aguacerito” scaled in at exactly 145.20 pounds. “I respect Brandon Rios,” said Acosta. “I have no problem with having the fans on his side, because I’m used to that. But the fans won’t be in the ring that night, it’ll just be me and Rios. He’s a tough fighter and I hope it will be a great fight for boxing. We’re relying on our physical condition.”
Photo courtesy Gary Hyde
WBA interim super bantamweight champion Guillermo “El Chacal” Rigondeaux (7-0, 5 KOs) has been cleared to enter Ireland. A previous press conference for his March 19 clash with Willie Casey (11-0, 7 KOs) was cancelled due to Rigondeaux visa difficulties. However the press event has been rescheduled for Monday in Thomond Park, Limerick, Ireland and the champion will be on hand. Click here for more photos.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Photo: Marcelino Castillo
The vacant WBA interim flyweight title will be on the line on Saturday night in Guadalajara, Mexico, when Jean Piero Perez (17-3-1, 13 KOs) meets Jesus Jimenez (31-6, 22 KOs) in a scheduled twelve rounder at the Arena Coliseo, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. The co-feature is a WBA super bantamweight eliminator between Mexican Victor “Vikingo” Terrazas (28-2-1, 16 KOs) and former WBA interim bantamweight titlist Nehomar Cermeño (20-2, 12 KOs).
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Photos: Louie Burke
Unbeaten WBA mandatory super welterweight challenger Austin Trout (21-0, 13 KOs) is in the final phase of his training in the Ruidoso Mountains at 7000 feet altitude in New Mexico for his February 5 bout in Guadalajara Mexico against current WBA “regular” titleholder Rigoberto “Español” Alvarez. The fight was planned to take place at the Sergio Leon Chavez Stadium in Irapuato, Guanajuato, Mexico but has now been moved to Guadalajara. (more…)
Photo: Michael Lopez
Former world title challenger Rey ‘Boom Boom’ Bautista (29-2, 22 KOs) of the Philippines and Alejandro Barrera (21-4, 14 KOs) of Mexico faced off today in Cebu City Philippines. The two will square off this Saturday in Cebu City at the Waterfront Hotel & Casino in a 10 round featherweight main event. The bout is a rematch of their all action bout from this past August that was stopped in round four with Baustista winning at this very same venue. The first bout was an all action affair. Barrerra was giving a solid effort when he was cut by what was ruled a Bautista punch by the referee. The two will look to set the record straight this time around with a clear winner.
By Boxing Bob Newman
Former Commonwealth Boxing President Prince Laide Adeboye passed away today in Lagos, Nigeria after a long illness. Adeboye, president of the Nigerian Boxing Board of Control had also been an influential member of the WBC board of directors and was the face of Nigerian Boxing. Adeboye was instrumental in the rise of Samuel Peter, Africa’s first black heavyweight world champion. The NBB of C is making arrangements for the funeral and services. Fightnews sends its condolences to Adeboye’s family.
This Friday night’s January 28th card marks the 13th anniversary of 8 Count Productions presenting monthly professional boxing cards in the Chicago area. The first 8 Count Productions event was held on February 20, 1998 at the Park West Theatre on the Near North side of Chicago and was headlined by contenders Rocky Martinez and Mike Garcia in separate bouts.
Dominic Pesoli, President of 8 Count Productions reports that advance sales are among the highest they’ve ever been. “These are the biggest numbers we’ve seen in Chicago with the exception of Diaz/Morales in 2007 and Vargas/Castillejo in 2005. Chicago is absolutely a terrific fight town and the fans are in for a sensational evening on Friday night.”
The public weigh-in for “Windy City Fight Night 15″ is tonight, January 27th at Club Aquarius, 2459 N. Pulaski Road at 7pm. (more…)
Boxing’s No. 1 pound-for-pound box office attraction and the Fighter of the Decade, MANNY “Pacman” PACQUIAO (53-3-2, 38 KOs), the lone congressional representative from the Sarangani province in the Philippines, returns to the Fight Capital of the World for the first time since 2009 when he defends his World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title against three-division world champion and future Hall of Famer “Sugar” SHANE MOSLEY (46-6-1, 39 KOs), of Pomona, Calif. Pacquiao vs. Mosley erupts on Saturday, May 7 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nev. (more…)
For more info on UFC 126 or on the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
On February 24 at the San Manuel Indian Bingo & Casino in San Bernardino, California, The Empire Sports and Entertainment presents 42-year-old former middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and cruiserweight champion James “Lights Out” Toney (72-6-3, 44 KOs) defending his IBA heavyweight belt against “Dangerous” Damon Reed (45-14, 32 KOs) in the Fox Sports televised 12-round main event. Tickets are priced between $40 and $70. Call 1-800-359-2464 ext: 2832
By Francisco Salazar
Unbeaten world champion Timothy Bradley has heard it all too often before a major fight.
“Fighters love to speak their mind on how they’re going to beat me.”
So when he heard Devon Alexander, whom he will face at the Silverdome in Pontiac, MI, on Saturday night, state that he will be victorious and be the best fighter at 140 pounds, Bradley could not help but retort.
“I’m better than him. Simple as that.”
In an intriguing bout that pits two of the best young 140-pound champions today, Bradley and Alexander will duke it out for 12 rounds, with each fighter’s world title belt on the line. The bout will be shown on HBO’s “World Championship Boxing.” (more…)
By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing
Leading American referee Wayne Kelly has been the third man in the ring in several classic bouts including Riddick Bowe-Andrew Golota I when one of the worst brawls at a sporting event broke out after the Pole was DQ’d, and two of Arturo Gatti’s most exciting ring battles against Tracy Harris Patterson and Wilson Rodriguez. Wayne talks to Fightnews about these outstanding fights and also about his famous grandfather Harlem Eddy Kelly who boxed the great Benny Leonard and Mickey Walker. He also discusses the Anthony Mundine vs Sven Ottke title bout and how Mundine had made disgusting comments about the 9-11 attack on New York. Kelly also talks about his Army service in Vietnam and how proud he is of his family. (more…)
Tickets go on sale Friday, January 28, noon, for Top Rank’s “Featherweight Fury!” with three big title fights on a Top Rank championship event at the Boardwalk Hall here on Saturday, March 26. Tickets are $200, $100, $50 plus applicable fees and are available at the Boardwalk Hall Box Office or by calling Ticketmaster at (800) 736-1420 or online at ticketmaster.com
“This will be a great, entertaining night of boxing. I am really looking forward to this tripleheader which we are calling Featherweight Fury!,” said Bob Arum, CEO, Top Rank.
World featherweight champion Yuriorkis Gamboa of Miami, Fla. will defend against Jorge Solis of Mexico; the very popular champion Matt ‘Sharp Shooter’ Remillard of Manchester, Conn. will defend his featherweight titles against #1-ranked Mikey Garcia of Oxnard, Ca.; and champion Teon Kennedy of Philadelphia defends his Jr Featherweight crown against Jorge Diaz of New Brunswick, N.J.
The bouts will be held at the Adrian Phillips Ballroom at Boardwalk Hall. The Gamboa vs. Solis and Remillard vs. Garcia title fights will be televised by HBO After Dark. Featherweight Fury! is promoted by Top Rank, in association with Arena Box and Caesars Atlantic City.
Photos by Rafael Soto/Zanfer Promotions
Hometown fans came out to see Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr., today during a public workout. “It’s always great to feel the support of fans, specially here at home,” said Chavez, Jr., who was hosted by the Mayor of Culiacan, Héctor Melecio Cuén at the City Hall where the workout was attended by hundreds of fans. Chavez, Jr., returns home this Saturday to take on Billy Lyel in the main event of “Top Rank Live” that will be telecast by Fox Deportes in the United States. For more details and photos click here…
By Ron Jackson
Promoter Branco Milenkovic of Branco Sports Productions produces a bumper bill at Carnival City, Brakpan on Saturday night with Nkosinathi Joyi defending his IBF mini flyweight belt against Katsunari Takayama of Japan and in the co-feature Cassius Baloyi meets Argenis Mendiz from the Dominican Republic in an IBF junior lightweight title eliminator.
Joyi (21-0, 15 KOs) makes the first defence of his IBF mini flyweight belt against Japan’s Katsunari Takayama (24-4, 10 KOs). Takayama earned the right to face Joyi when he stopped Tshepo Lefele in six rounds at Carnival City last September and is expected to extend Joyi all the way. The southpaw Joyi, 27, possibly the most talented fighter in South Africa won the IBF belt in March last year when he outpointed previously unbeaten Mexican Raul Garcia in East London. (more…)
Boxing returns to the Maywood Activity Center in Maywood, California on February 5th when hard-hitting Mexican super middleweight Francisco Sierra (23-3, 21 KOs) takes on Florida’s Dyah Davis (18-2, 8 KOs) in the ten round main event. Lightweight Oscar “Estudiante” Meza (20-4, 17 KOs) will be in the co-featured bout facing Leo Martinez. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.