email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Boxing returns to Arena Coliseo in Mexico City
- Erik Morales to work with WBC Committee
- Rodriguez brings nickname controversy to Telemundo telecast
- Budler, Liebenberg defending belts in Monte Carlo
- Boxing Buzz
- Fonfara: If I want to think about a rematch with Adonis, I must beat guys like Ngumbu
- Karpency Bros headline Nov 21 in WV
- WBA interim heavyweight champ Ortiz fails drug test
- The Ultimate Fighter Takes on Breast Cancer Awareness
- "Renegade" Robles Back in San Diego this Friday
- McDonnell: I am not scared to have a fight and I want to prove myself against the best
By Francisco Salazar
Unbeaten Ronny Rios will take on Roger Gonzalez in an eight round bout on Friday night at the Hangar of the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa, manager Frank Espinoza told Fightnews.com on Tuesday evening. The catch weight between the two fighters will be at 128 pounds. Rios (15-0, 7 KO’s), who is managed by Espinoza, is coming off a first round stopage victory over Noe Lopez two months ago. He will be facing a fighter who has lost his last three bouts in a row. In his last bout in February, Gonzalez (27-4, 18 KO’s) lost an eight round unanimous decision to Eloy Perez. He has been stopped by Yuriorkis Gamboa, Cornelius Lock, and Jhonny Gonzalez. The bout will be televised on “Solo Boxeo Tecate” on Telefutura. In the main event, unbeaten lightweight Luis Ramos will take on David Rodela in a 10 round bout. Ramos and Rios hail from nearby Santa Ana.
Featherweight contender Matt Remillard pleaded no contest to a first degree assault charge in a baseball bat attack last year that left a man with a fractured skull, hand and eye socket. According to the Harford Courant, Remillard is expected to go to prison for five years when sentenced November 29. Both Remillard and the victim were dating the same woman.
Story by Robert Hough
Boxers like Karim “Hard Hitta” Mayfield get small checks for fighting, do what they can to make ends meet and press onward ever onward in their quests for championships and big money.
Mayfield (14-0-1 9 KOs), a San Francisco native, fights Patrick Lopez (20-4, 12 KOs) on Oct. 1 in Tunica, Miss., for the WBO NABO light welterweight title. Mayfield’s second fight this year follows his June 17 TKO win over Steve Forbes (35-10, 11 KOs) in a televised fight in Austin, Texas. National exposure was a big step forward and winning the NABO title would be another good step, but these are times of lean living, said the 30-year-old father of three. (more…)
Two powerhouses of the light heavyweight division will collide on Saturday, Nov. 19 for a chance to prove that they deserve at shot at the sport’s ultimate prize – the UFC® world championship. Former PRIDE® and STRIKEFORCE® champion Dan Henderson returns to the Octagon® at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. to take on former UFC light heavyweight champion and international superstar Mauricio “Shogun” Rua. The winner looks to earn a coveted shot at the UFC light heavyweight crown next year. (more…)
Two Legends Collide For The First Time – Shogun vs Hendo Live In San Jose: Tickets available this week for Shogun vs Henderson live in San Jose, plus Wanderlei Silva returns to take on middleweight powerhouse Cung Le, and Urijah Faber battles Brian Bowles! UFC 139 – Saturday, November 19 live at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, CA – UFC Fight Club presale starts Wednesday at 10am PT – join today for first access to tickets
UFC 139 VIP Packages On Sale Today At 10am PT: Floor seats, meet & greets, backstage tours and more! Get the ultimate experience on November 19th in San Jose! Packages on sale Wednesday, Sept. 28 starting at 10am PT – visit vip.ufc.com to purchase
. . . .
For more on UFC Live 6 or the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
Promoter Gary Shaw was the guest speaker at the September meeting of Ring 8 this past week at the Waterfront Crabhouse in Long Island City. Pictured (L-R) seated: former heavyweight boxer Alex Metiff and promoter Gary Shaw; standing (L-R): matchmaker John Beninati and RING 8 president Bob Duffy. Metiff was a promising heavyweight prospect who numerous contenders during the 60’s, including George Chuvalo, Zora Folley, Jerry Quarry and Cassius Clay (before he changed his name Muhammad Ali). RING 8 is a non-profit organization dedicated to lending a helping hand to those in the boxing community who are less fortunate. Visit www.Ring8ny.com for more information.
The UFC Bantamweight Championship is up for grabs for the third time since the promotion added the division to the roster late last year. Dominick Cruz is the reigning champion. With wins over Urijah Faber, Brian Bowles, Joseph Benavidez and Scott Jorgensen, he is truly one of the elite fighters in the world, despite the fact that he is still a newcomer to UFC fans. . . . Click here for more by Michael DiSanto, UFC.com
. . . .
For more on UFC Live 6 or the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
By Phil Doherty
The South Florida boxing promotional landscape saw a spike in competition recently with new kids on the block like Miami-based Dream Team Boxing staking a claim to a seat at the table with the big boys. Hoping to establish themselves as fellow “Kings” of the sport, Dream Team promoters Carlos Rodriguez and Henry Rivalta announced a cross-promotion with legendary Don King scheduled for October 22nd.
Dream Team’s third-ranked WBA lightweight Cuban star Richard “El Tigre” Abril (16-2-1, 8 KOs) steps up against King’s WBA #4-ranked former lightweight champion Paulus “The Hitman” Moses (28-1, 19 KOs) of Namibia for the interim WBA lightweight title in Panama during the WBA’s annual KO to Drugs co-main event. The move is all part of the plan Dream Team put into place for Abril, who at 5’11’’ found it difficult to find willing opponents in the past. However, his future is quite clear as the winner of this bout becomes the mandatory challenger for undefeated WBA World lightweight champion Brandon “Boom Boom” Rios (28-0-1, 21 KOs). (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
WBC featherweight world champion “in recess” Elio Rojas and current WBC featherweight world champion Jhonny Gonzalez could face off on December 10 at the Palacio de los Deportes or Monterrey Arena or even the United States. Mexican company Promociones del Pueblo has indicated that they expect to Elio Rojas to resolve his contractual issues Don King giving the showdown a green light. “It’s a highly anticipated fight and Rojas only needs to resolve his end of the negotiations,” said promoter Oswaldo Kuchle. If the Rojas/DKP situation isn’t cleared up, Gonzalez may take on WBC #10 Roinet Caballero of Panama instead.
East meets West when Top Rank Live! returns to Las Vegas this week with a world championship summit featuring WBC super bantamweight champion Toshiaki Nishioka of Japan defending his title against México’s two-division world champion Rafael Márquez. The Nishioka-Marquez world championship rumble will headline an exciting seven-bout card This Saturday! October 1 in the Marquee Ballroom at the MGM Grand and will be televised live in the U.S. and México on FOX Deportes, beginning at 9 p.m. ET. WOWOW, which is celebrating its 20th year of broadcasting, will televise it in Japan. Doors open at 4:00 p.m. PT with the first fight at 4:15 p.m. PT. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
The WBA has made a boxing equipment donation to units of GAS (Service Support Group) of Panama National Police, the unit that leads the fight against drugs and drug trafficking in the country. The GAS Boxing Team is led by Carlos “EL Puas” Murillo, a former WBA light flyweight world champion. (more…)
Video: Joel A. Colón/PR Best
Former featherweight champion Juanma Lopez shows his form in advance of Saturday’s clash with Mike Oliver at the coliseo Rubén Rodríguez de Bayamón, in a PR Best/Top Rank presentation to be televised on Pay Per View.
Oscar Tweet: It’s so sad Mayweather has to bash people and flaunt money he’s not going to [have] when he retires. Give Ortiz a rematch. Try beat him fair…and then maybe, just maybe, I will give you another chance at me.
Report/Photo by Felipe Leon
With little over two weeks to go for his WBC lightweight title bout versus former two-time champ Jorge Linares (31-1, 20KOs) on Saturday, October 15th, WBC Silver belt holder Antonio DeMarco (25-2-1, 18KOs) has moved on to working with smaller, quicker guys to deal with Linares’ speed on Saturday, October 15th. DeMarco of Tijuana via Los Mochis, Mexico, is employing the services of featherweight Omar Estrella (14-3-2, 8KOs). Estrella, a top Tijuana prospect who is promoted by Erik Morales’ Box Latino, is an experienced sparring partner who has worked with his boss Morales, Antonio Margarito and Humberto “Zorrita” Soto among others. (more…)
I wonder if Pat Barry can punch Stefan Struve in the head without leaving his feet. I know it is physically possible, if the two are standing right next to each other. I’m talking about landing a jab, right hand or left hook when the two are fighting from a normal striking distance . . . Click here for more by Michael DiSanto, UFC.com
. . . .
For more on UFC Live 6 or the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
By Miguel Maravilla
Heavyweight contender Chris “The Nightmare” Arreola (33-2, 28 KOs) was in attendance greeting fans and signing autographs last weekend at the Doubletree Hotel in Ontario, CA for Thompson Boxing Promotions’ “Locked and Loaded” card. Arreola is said to be fighting in late October or November in Leon, Mexico. An opponent has yet to be determined. “I am scheduled to fight in Mexico, no opponent has been picked but I just want to f*&#^n box,” Arreola told Fightnews.com.
Photos: Team Sauerland
Sebastian Sylvester, Steve Cunningham and Yoan Pablo Hernandez today gave the fans in Neubrandenburg, Germany a first-hand look at their skills during the public work-out ahead of Team Sauerland´s big show on Saturday night. Hometown hero Sylvester (34-4-1, 16 KOs) will make his first fight since losing the IBF Middleweight Title against Daniel Geale on May 7. Just like his Polish opponent Grzegorz Proksa (25-0, 18 KOs), he is eager to win the vacant European Middleweight Title. “I need that title to get back in line for a world title shot,” Sylvester said. “I know Proksa is a tough opponent. He has done a lot of talking in the last weeks. So I am happy for him to be the favorite going into the battle. But we will see what happens inside the ring. I am sure the fans´ support will be gigantic again, and I am very confident of success.” For more details and photos click here…
Photos: Ed Diller/DiBella Entertainment
Earlier today, WBC Diamond belt and The Ring Middleweight Champion, Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez (47-2-2, 26KO’s), held an open media workout at the Modell’s Sporting Goods store in Times Square, New York City. The Champion, Martinez, who will be defending against England’s undefeated European Champion, “Dazzling” Darren Barker (23-0, 14KO’s), this Saturday at Boardwalk Hall, in Atlantic City, NJ, looked to be in tremendous shape, as he worked out before a packed house of fans and media who turned out for the workout. Martinez jumped rope, shadow boxed, and worked the pads with trainer Pablo Sarmiento. After the workout, Martinez spoke with reporters and then took photos and signed autographs for hundreds of fans. Initially, fans were turned away as the store had become too crowded, but Martinez insisted to keep the line open and that he would sign autographs for every fan that wanted one. For more details and photos click here…
Photos: PRBBP/José Pérez
Former two time world champion Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez showed today in great shape for his bout versus Mike Oliver this Saturday, October 1 in the show Triple Crown III at the coliseo Rubén Rodríguez de Bayamón, in a PR Best Boxing Promotions (PRBBP) and Top Rank presentation to be televised on Pay Per View. “I’m very good, I’m in 129 1/2 pounds and in great shape for this fight. We are going to fight round by round against Oliver, a boxer, but also an agressive fighter”, Lopez said. Lopez worked with his trainers Alex Caraballo and Orlando Piñero with gloves, the punching bag, the pears and junping the rope, showing good speed in his movements. For more details and photos click here…
Despite the postponement of the Super Six Final (moved from October 29 to December 17), the lead-in boxing show scheduled for the night before the original date will go on as scheduled with the IBF heavyweight eliminator between #1 rated Eddie Chambers and #2 Tony Thompson on Friday, October 28 at Bally’s Atlantic City with the winner placing himself in a mandatory bout against the reigning IBF, WBO and WBA Heavyweight World Champion Wladimir Klitschko. Wladimir’s brother, Vitali, holds the WBC portion of the World Heavyweight Championship. (more…)
According to co-manager Cameron Dunkin, former middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik regrets his “horrible decisions” and is willing to fight for $10,000. Speaking to ESPN, Dunkin said Pavlik seems like he really wants to fight again. As you might remember, in August Pavlik disappointed his promoter Top Rank, the SHOWTIME network and legions of hometown fans in Youngstown, Ohio, by pulling out of a scheduled SHOWTIME-televised fight on one week’s notice, complaining about his purse of $50,000 and also a $1.35 million offer to challenge IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute in November. At the time Pavlik told WFMJ television that he wouldn’t fight “for peanuts.”
Photos: FIGHT CAMP 360°/SHOWTIME
The Super Six World Boxing Classic Final between super middleweight world champions Andre Ward and Carl Froch has been rescheduled for Saturday, Dec. 17 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J. The SHOWTIME® telecast will air LIVE at 9 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast). The announcement was made jointly today by Ward’s promoter, Dan Goossen of Goossen Tutor Promotions, Froch’s promoter, Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport, and Ken Hershman of SHOWTIME Sports®. The fight, originally scheduled for Oct. 29 at Boardwalk Hall, was postponed late last week after Ward sustained a cut above his right eye during a sparring session on Thursday, Sept. 22. (Photos attached by FIGHT CAMP 360) For more details and photos click here…
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has responded to claims of cheating and bad sportsmanship by Oscar de la Hoya and the Victor Ortiz Camp. “I left the fight in the ring but Oscar and Ortiz keep doing interviews crying like some Golden Girl bitches. I will f**k both of you up,” Floyd posted on his twitter account. In a follow up tweet, Floyd wrote “You want to talk about cheating. http://yfrog.com/kj8wlddj”
Another tweet read “I named this car “The Karate Kid”. It’s doing what Victoria Ortiz should’ve done. Put your hands up! http://yfrog.com/nv9amqhj”
Other Mayweather tweets in the last 12 hours included:
“Hey Victoria Ortiz, I have a new avatar that you should use twitpic.com/6rb29g”
“Victoria Ortiz’s idol is Oscar De La Hoya aka Golden Girl twitpic.com/6razy4”
“Victoria’s Secret twitpic.com/6rayya”
“Does Victoria Ortiz want another rematch because he thinks he can win or does he want another payday?”
“Victoria Ortiz thought it was a head-butting contest. But that 2-piece gave him some act right.”
“Victoria Ortiz’s new nickname is “Take 2 of these and call me in the morning”
“I’ve fallen and I can’t get up. twitpic.com/6rauy4”
“The only man who can beat me is the man in the mirror twitpic.com/6ratbt”
“I’ll give Ortiz a rematch but first he got to get passed Andre Berto.”
Photo: Team Sauerland
WBC super middleweight champion emeritus Mikkel Kessler (44-2, 33 KOs) opened his gym for the media on Tuesday afternoon in Copenhagen. On November 5, the Viking Warrior will challenge WBO Super-Middleweight Champion Robert Stieglitz (40-2, 23 KOs) at renowned PARKEN Stadium in Denmark´s capital. Kessler worked the pads with trainer Jimmy Montoya and also hit the bag for the journalists. “Things are going great,” he said. “I´m in great shape already but come November 5 I will be even stronger. Jimmy keeps teaching me new stuff and I will have some surprises for Stieglitz when we meet.”
Oscar de la Hoya, Victor Ortiz and Ortiz’ manager Rolando Arellano called for a rematch on Monday against Floyd Mayweather after their controversial fight on September 17. Six division champion de la Hoya said none of his opponents would have done what Mayweather did to end the fight. “Not even Mayorga would have done that,” said the Golden Boy. “Not even Fernando Vargas. That tells you a lot, and this fight was barely warming up. We were cheated. Everyone was was cheated, especially Victor Ortiz from a great fight happening…We saw bad sportsmanship end the fight. We can ask for a rematch because there was bad sportsmanship here…If Floyd Mayweather Jr. has any sort of honor here, he’s the one that has to say ‘Yes, I’ll give him the rematch.’
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.