email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Karpency Bros headline Nov 21 in WV
- WBA interim heavyweight champ Ortiz fails drug test
- The Ultimate Fighter Takes on Breast Cancer Awareness
- "Renegade" Robles Back in San Diego this Friday
- McDonnell: I am not scared to have a fight and I want to prove myself against the best
- Werdum Focused on Title, Not Opponent
- Tyson Fury removes gag and calls out Anthony Joshua, says he'll fight Joshua in December "after smashing Chisora!"
- Murray-Spada Press Conference
- Jean Pascal vs. Donovan George set for Dec 6
- Quigg: I'm on a big run of KO's and I don't intend on stopping
- Yamanaka keeps WBC 118lb belt
An intriguing matchup is in the works for fomer world title challenger Juan Carlos Burgos (27-1, 19 KOs) of Tijuana, Mexico to face Luis Cruz (19-0, 15 KOs) of Puerto Rico for the NABO Super Featherweight title. The bout would be scheduled for 12 rounds and take place November 12th on the televised undercard of the main event of Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez. No contracts have been signed but a close source has stated that its looking good for the fight to be made.
By J. Russell Peltz
When I was 15 years old, I read in the newspaper that George Benton knew 48 different ways to avoid getting hit with a left jab. I had learned how to box a couple of years earlier and I was trying to figure out all the ways this could be done but I gave up after about a dozen. At the time in 1962, George was in the middle of one of his many comebacks. This one would lead him back into the Top 10 and onto the doorstep of the title shot he would never get. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride! (more…)
Photo: Chris Farina/Top Rank
4,000 rabid fans greeted WBA super welterweight world champion Miguel Cotto and former world champion Antonio Margarito in Puerto Rico today for the kickoff of their four-city media tour to announce Cotto-Margarito II on December 3 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. It was the first time the fighters have faced off since their first fight.
Miguel Cotto: I swear to you all and my family that December 3 is the same story but with a very different end…I assure you that the preparation will be arduous, intense, hard work for me, so I don’t make the mistakes made three years ago.
Antonio Margarito: I don’t have much that to say. Just to prove that I’m back and I’m going to do my thing. I’m going to go out with my arms held high.
The fight will be fought at a maximum weight of 153. At the weigh-in, each camp will be asked to provide the wraps and pads to be used for fight night, which will be placed in a locked box.
Photo: Rafael Soto/Zanfer
WBO super bantamweight Jorge “Travieso” Arce (57-6-2, 44 KOs) will enter the ring with revenge on his mind when he takes on Simphiwe Nongqayi (16-1-1, 6 KOs) on Saturday at the Foro Promocasa in Mexicali, BC, Mexico. “There is a triple motivation to defend my title. First, the fight against Nonggayi is a big fight on a big fight card. Second, I want to avenge my brother ‘Panchito,’ who lost to the South African. And third, I want my own revenge against him because he beat me on a bad night, and on September 24 he will pay dearly those two victories over the Arces.” (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
On Saturday WBC featherweight world champion Jhonny Gonzalez went with his wife and three children to celebrate his 30th birthday, 50th win and his victory in El Paso over Rogers Mtagwa, and when he returned to his home he discovered it had been ransacked and a new vehicle was stolen. “It’s disappointing,” said Gonzalez. “Everything was stolen. Computers, televisions, jewelry and my white 2012 Jeep Compass…they stole like $50,000, but in the end everything is material and my family is OK and that’s what’s important.”
Photos: Chris Farina/Top Rank
Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito pose Monday in San Juan, Puerto Rico during the public press conference to kickoff the world tour to announce their highly-anticipated World Championship rematch, Saturday, December 3, at Madison Square Garden in New York. Thousands of Puerto Rican fans booed Margarito, shaking their fists at him. “COTTO, COTTO, COTTO” chants over and over – huge turnout of fans. Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Cotto Promotions, Tornado Promotions, AT&T, and Madison Square Garden, Cotto-Margarito II will be produced and distributed Live by HBO Pay-Per-View. more photos
IBF cruiserweight champion Steve “USS” Cunningham (24-2, 12 KOs) will put his belt on the line against Yoan Pablo Hernandez (24-1, 13 KOs) in Neubrandenburg, Germany on October 1. Cunningham, who has already beaten reigning WBC, WBA and WBO world champions, is now set to face the WBA interim titlist in Hernandez. “I believe him to be the best challenger for me right now.,” says Cunningham. “I think he’s a good fighter and will bring a good fight. I want to put on a great fight for the German fans and would love for it to be the fight of the year.” (more…)
George Benton died this morning, September 19, 2011 at 3:40 AM, at St. Joseph’s Hospital in North Philly. He had been in the hospital the past few weeks battling pneumonia. No funeral arrangements have been made yet. Benton was a great fighter, trainer, and one of the true legends of Philadelphia boxing. He will be greatly missed.
By Joe Koizumi
WBA#7 OPBF super-welter champ Charlie Ota (AKA Charles Bellamy; 19-1-1, 13 KOs), 153.75, an ex-US military worker now residing in Tokyo, kept his regional belt as he came off the deck in the fourth, fought back hard, dropped back Yoshihisa Tonimura (15-6-4, 4 KOs), 153.75, in the tenth to win a unanimous decision (116-110, 116-111 and 115-112) over twelve give-and-take rounds in Zama, Japan, on Sunday. (more…)
Photos: Chris Farina/Top Rank
Antonio Margarito arrives in Puerto Rico late Sunday night for his upcoming public press conference in San Juan,Puerto Rico Monday to kickoff the world tour to announce his highly-anticipated World Championship rematch on PPV against Miguel Cotto, Saturday, December 3, at Madison Square Garden in New York. Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Cotto Promotions, Tornado Promotions, AT&T, and Madison Square Garden. more photos
Gary Shaw Promotions has promoted and co-promoted some of the most significant shows in boxing history plus Shaw has promoted many of the biggest names in boxing. (more…)
Take a quick peek at the reigning UFC champions. Notice any recurring themes? I’ll give you a hint: it is a nine-letter word. Come on. You know what it is. Wrestling. . . . Click here for more by Michael DiSanto, UFC.com
. . . .
For more info on UFC 135 or the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
WBA #3 middleweight Martin Murray (23-0, 10 KOs) will challenge WBA middleweight champion Felix Sturm at the SAP Arena, Mannheim on December 2. Murray will be bidding to become the first Hatton Promotions fighter to win a world championship crown.
The undefeated 28-year-old said: “I am absolutely buzzing and have so much motivation to go over there and beat Sturm. I first knew about the fight in early September, but we couldn’t say anything until the contract was signed. I have started an 11 week training camp at Oliver Harrison’s gym and come fight night I will be in the shape of my life. I have been ready for this chance for about nine months, but I seemed to slip under the radar because everybody talks about Matthew Macklin and Darren Barker as the main middleweights in Britain.” (more…)
By Graham Houston
Referees came under fire in two big fights this weekend, Joe Cortez for his confused officiating in the bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Victor Ortiz, of course, but also, to a lesser extent, Wayne Hedgepeth for his stoppage of the Saul Alvarez-Alfonso Gomez fight in Los Angeles. To a lesser degree, Tony Weeks received a bit of criticism for docking Jessie Vargas a point for a low blow in the fight with Josesito Lopez.
Obviously, Mayweather’s fourth-round knockout win over Ortiz was the big talking point of the weekend, and I can’t fault Mayweather for firing the two fight-ending shots against an opponent who wasn’t expecting to be hit. If Ortiz wanted to give Mayweather a second hug in apology for Ortiz’s blatant butt, instead of obeying the dictum “protect yourself at all times,” well, that was his choice. These are professional boxers, not amateurs boxing in the Olympics. Time was “in”, and Mayweather had an opponent standing in front of him with his guard down. Did anyone really expect Mayweather to follow a gentlemanly code of conduct, especially after, moments earlier, Ortiz had inflicted a cut inside his mouth by butting him? (more…)
Larry Merchant told Floyd Mayweather last night he would kick his butt if he were only 50 years younger, but today at LAX he told our camera guy … that probably wouldn’t have been the case. Merchant described his run-in with Floyd as “kind of exhilarating in its own way” but acknowledged he probably could never have taken Floyd in a fight — no matter his age. He described Floyd’s controversial knockout as a “legal sucker punch” but said Floyd was an “a prima donna, an outstanding fighter, … a modern reality show in progress.”
Four members of Team Pacquiao have given brief comments to the Philippine Star newspaper on Saturday’s Mayweather-Ortiz clash in Las Vegas.
Manny Pacquiao: “Very poor sportsmanship…[but] it was not illegal.”
Trainer Freddie Roach: “Cheap shot…I think [Cortez] lost control.”
Advisor Mike Koncz: “Poor sportsmanship…I agree it was a cheap shot.”
Legal Advisor Franklin Gacal: “Ortiz was too trusting. It was his fault. But Floyd showed he is not a sportsman in its true sense.”
Maybe it was the words that his opponent Alfonso Gomez said about him in leading up to the fight. Or the thousands of fans in attendance that were chanting his now-familiar nickname.
Whatever, it was, Alvarez felt right at home in the center of the ring on Saturday night. Although he had a good fighter in front of him in Alfonso Gomez, Alvarez did not leave his fans disappointed after the fight . . . Click here for more
Ringside by Andreas Hale & Anthony Springer Jr.
Photos by Chris Cozzone
What’s the number one rule in boxing? Defend yourself at all times, no matter what. Floyd Mayweather proved that rule still holds true as he crushed Victor Ortiz with a controversial two-punch combination in the midst of an Ortiz apology for an intentional head butt that obliterated him in the fourth round of their hyped-up clash. The victory earned the undefeated fighter the WBC welterweight crown, but that was merely a sidebar to what took place on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena . . . Click here for more
A tearful Mayweather gave thanks to his family, team and God for another stellar outing that resulted in a knockout victory.
This was a far different Mayweather than the one seen in the ring clobbering Victor Ortiz with a combination that caught Ortiz off guard after he apologized for an intentional headbutt . . . Click here for more
By Felipe Leon
Photos: Big Joe Miranda
Just like in the rest of the boxing world, the conversation at the Saul “Canelo” Alvarez-Alfonso Gomez post fight press conference held in the Chick Hearn press room located in the lower bowels of the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles, CA, quickly turned to the controversial ending of the “Star Power” main event between newly crowned Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Victor Ortiz.
“I would have done the same to him if he would have done it to me,” the 21 year old WBC super welterweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez said when asked what he would have done if Mayweather had cold cocked him like he did Ortiz. “Both of them made mistakes, Victor was first and he didn’t pay attention. Boxing should be a clean sport but sometimes you have to respond but boxing should be clean.” For more details and photos click here…
By Phil Doherty
Former IBF featherweight champion Eric “Mighty Mouse” Aiken (16-8-1, 12 KOs) stepped in late last week to replace Daniel “The Prophet” Attah in the main event against Edner “Cherry Bomb” Cherry (28-6-2, 16 KOs)for next Friday’s “Future Superstars” card from The Seminole Hard Rock. Panther Promotions located the former world titlist within hours after learning of Attah’s inability to make the fight due to lower back pains suffered during his intensive training camp. The ten-round contest highlights a varied card showcasing male and female boxing talent from all over the country, including New York City, Texas, Colorado, New Jersey and Florida. (more…)
With his back against the wall, Erik Morales rose to the occasion.
Facing a scrappy and relatively unknown fighter in Pablo Cano, the veteran roared back in the tenth frame. Morales blasted Cano with a series of right hands that opened up a cut over Cano’s right eye. Another stiff right unleashed a stream of blood. The fist-to-face trauma shut Cano’s right eye and prompted the initial stoppage that saw Morales emerge victorious . . . Click here for more
By Joe Koizumi
All foreign contestants have arrived in Tokyo, Japan, prior to a female world title triple-header promoted by Futur Promotions on this coming Thursday.
Unbeaten WBA 105-pound champ Etsuko Tada (8-0-2, 2 KOs), whose amateur mark was 47-3, will put her belt on the line against ex-WBC 108-pound ruler Nongmuay Kokietgym (10-2-3, no KO), from Thailand, over ten rounds. WBC 105-pound titlist Naoko Fujioka (6-0, 4 KOs), a hard-hitting ex-amateur national champ, will risk her belt against top contender Kanittha Kokietgym (13-3, 4 KOs), Thailand, over ten. Japan’s Mari Ano (7-3, 4 KOs) and Ammara Kokietgym (7-1-1, 3 KOs), Thailand, will dispute the newly established light-minimumweight championship (102-pound) in a ten-rounder. Also, OPBF lightweight champ Raika Fujin (22-6-1, 9 KOs) will engage in a rematch with Canadian Jelena Mrdjenovich (24-8-1, 12 KOs) in a WBC final eliminator to decide the official challenger over ten. (more…)
“This was another unbelievable performance. A lot of people want to know what happened. There were a couple head butts. Sh*t happens in the sport of boxing.
“Protect yourself at all times.
“You wanted to see a knockout and that is what I gave you. (more…)
“I fouled Floyd, I apologized in the ring and apologized after the fight as well. I would really like the rematch.
“I thought the ref called a break and I am pretty sure he did and then I was like ‘whoa, whoa,’ and then I woke up after.
“You learn quite a bit from each fight individually, but I am still not convinced that he [Mayweather] is the greatest. I was doing just fine and then there was a little slip up. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.