firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Video: Matthysse-Provodnikov post fight presser
- Ex-champ Hernandez defeats Curry
- Fight Night New Jersey: Talking Points
- Fonfara: He didn't punch as hard as everybody said he did
- Fonfara stops Chavez Jr after nine
- Matthysse defeats Provodnikov in war
- Crawford explodes on Dulorme wins by KO6
- Fight Night New Jersey Main: Rockhold Subs Machida in Two
- Chavez-Fonfara Early Results from StubHub Center
- Matthysse-Provodnikov undercard results from the Turning Stone Resort
- Crawford-Dulorme Early Results from Arlington, Texas
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
Courtesy Jim Jenkins, Sacramento Bee
Jorge Silva (19-2-1, 15 KOs) of Mexico is in and his fellow countryman, Cosme Rivera (35-14-3, 24 KOs), citing a conflicting commitment, is out as the opponent for world-ranked Yoshihiro Kamegai (21-0, 18 knockouts) of Japan in Saturday night’s 10-round welterweight main event at Sacramento, California’s Memorial Auditorium.
The lightweight co-main is unchanged, ex-world champion Jorge Linares (31-3, 20 KOs) of Venezuela against former title contender Hector Velazquez (52-17-3, 35 KOs) of Mexico
Promoters Don Chargin and Paco Damien, in conjunction with Golden Boy Promotions, said Silva, younger and faster, could turn out to be a tougher test for Kamegai, venturing above his normal junior-welterweight division.
A purse bid was held today in the IBF Office for the IBF jr. welterweight championship mandatory defense between champion Lamont Peterson and Zab Judah. Headbangers Promotion was the only bidder. they bid $50,000. The fight must be done in 90 days or by January 2, 2013.
By Alex “Oscar” Potapov
Photos: SES Boxing/Y. Stolitniy
WBO junior middleweight champion Zaur Baysangurov (27-1, 20 KOs) and interim WBO champion Lukas Konecny (48-3, 23 KOs) held a press conference for Saturday’s showdown at the Sports Palace in Kiev, Ukraine.
Zaur Baysangurov: I’m sure it will be amazing and interesting fight. I had a good training camp in California with my new coach Abel Sanchez. I’m ready for war and will show on Saturday the best I can do.
Lukas Konecny: I am very happy to be the second time in Ukraine. Kiev is a great place. For the first time our fight did not take due to the injury of Zaur, but now I’m sure nothing will prevent us to find out who is the best. Baysangurov is a good fighter, but I’m confident of victory. It will be a spectacular fight. See you on Saturday. (more…)
Sartonk, which makes the world championship belts for most the major sanctioning bodies, has launched the inaugural Ali-King Award for Writing in Boxing. Co-sponsored by the WBO, IBF, WBA, IBO, New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame, New Jersey Association of USA Boxing, Gleason’s Gym, and Global Boxing Gym, this year’s contest is geared toward boxers and boxing enthusiasts between the ages of 17 and 22, who live in New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut. (more…)
Ringside Report by Scott Ploof and Dave Spencer
Photogallery by Emily Harney
Undefeated Worcester, MA super middleweight, Edwin “La Bomba” Rodriguez (22-0, 15 KOs), who moved one step closer towards his opportunity to fight for a world championship, kept his record perfect as he stopped previously unbeaten Jason Escalera (13-1-1, 12 KOs) at 0:12 seconds of round number eight in the main event of this past Saturday night’s HBO “Boxing After Dark” from the MGM Grand Theatre at Foxwoods Resort and Casino in Mashantucket, CT. Former three time world champion Vic Darchinyan (38-5, 27KOs) added another accolade to his resume as he scored a dominant unanimous decision victory over a game Luis Orlando Del Valle (16-1, 11 KOs) to claim the vacant NABF super bantamweight title. Scores of the bout were 99-91 twice and 96-94 in an all action bout. Antonin Decarie (27-1 8 KOs) scored big with a TKO victory at 2:54 of the sixth round destroying previously unbeaten Alex Perez (16-1 9 KOs) with a TKO victory at 2:54 of the sixth round. Click here for the entire ringside report and action packed photogallery.
Antonio Silva is one big dude. That is why he is adorned with the nickname “Bigfoot.” The Brazilian is six-feet, four-inches tall and cuts weight to make the UFC’s 265-pound heavyweight limit. And his hands, when clenched, more closely resemble sledgehammer heads than fists . . . Click here for more by Michael DiSanto, UFC.com
. . .
Coming up next: UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot is live from the Target Center in Minneapolis, MN on Friday, Oct. 5. Click here for more info
World Champion boxer Danny Garcia, of Philadelphia, will be named the “Philly Fighter of the Year” at the 5th Annual Briscoe Awards, Sunday, October 7, 2012. Garcia will receive the coveted Briscoe Award which is named after and in the image of 1970s Philadelphia boxing legend Bennie Briscoe. “I’m happy to get my hometown’s support,” Garcia said about winning the Briscoe Award. “It means a lot to me, because there are a lot of great fighters from Philadelphia.”
Additional Briscoe Awards will be presented to cruiserweight Garrett Wilson who scored the “Philly KO of the Year”, and to Juan Rodriguez Jr. and Greg Hackett for their “Philly Fight of the Year.” (more…)
WBC Silver World middleweight champion and #2 contender Domenico Spada (35-4, 18 KOs) met today at the EBU headquarters in Rome with the WBC World middleweight champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez. Spada said “as WBC Silver champion I hope Martinez will give me a chance to fight him. It will be an honour and a privilege.” Spada is promoted by Italian company OPI 2000 (Salvatore and Christian Cherchi).
Martinez was in town for an EBU purse bid for European super bantamweight titleholder Kiko Martinez’ mandatory defense against Carl Frampton. Maravilla Box Management won the purse bid and will promote the fight.
HBO added a third televised bout to its October 27 Boxing After Dark card at Turning Stone Resort Casino. The tripleheader now includes two title fights and a main event featuring the number one contender for Floyd Mayweather, Jr.’s WBC welterweight title, Thomas Dulorme.
In a nationally-televised fight announced this morning, IBF lightweight champion Miguel “Titere” Vazquez (31-3-0, 13 KOs) of Guadalajara, Mexico takes on challenger Marvin Quintero (25-3-0, 21 KOs) of Tijuana, Mexico. (more…)
By Boxing Bob Newman
The purse bid for the mandatory slot of the WBC in the heavyweight division was held this past weekend in Las Vegas at the Bellagio Hotel and Casino, site of the WBC/Hublot retirement fund auction. The winning bid was by Don King Promotions with a bid of $1,100,000. King doubled the next highest bidder Goossen Tudor Promotions who bid $550,000, followed by Golden Boy Promotions ($512,000) and Top Marquee ($132,000).
King promotes Bermane “B. Ware” Stiverne, while Goossen promotes Chris “Nightmare” Arreola, who will go at it to see who gets to face WBC champ Vitali Klitschko. A site and date will soon be announced.
Photos: Chris Farina / Top Rank
Undefeated #1 contender Mike Alvarado of Denver, CO (33-0) hits the mitts with trainer Shann Vilhauer during training in preparation for his upcoming championship fight against former Lightweight champion Brandon “Bam Bam” Rios of Oxnard, Ca. (30-0-1) Saturday, October 13 at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Ca. Promoted by Top Rank in association with Teiken Promotions and Tecete, this sensational night of boxing will be televised live on HBO Boxing After Dark.
Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Márquez, two of boxing’s top pound for pound fighters, are proving to be two of boxing’s top pound for pound box office attractions too. Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum announced today that over 13,000 tickets were sold during the opening weekend making their fourth fight the biggest seller of the series. “We are ecstatic with the response,” said Arum, who noted that less than 3,000 tickets remain.
Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 KOs), of the Philippines, and Márquez (54-6-1 (39 KOs), of México, who have won world titles in 12 weight divisions between them, collide in a 12-round welterweight battle, Saturday, December 8, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nev
Promoted by Top Rank®, in association with MP Promotions, Zanfer Promotions, Márquez Boxing, Tecate and MGM Grand Hotel & Casino tickets to Pacquiao-Márquez 4 are priced at $1,200, $900, $600, $400, and $200. Ticket sales at $1,200, $900, $600 and $400 are limited to 10 per person and ticket sales at $200 are limited to two (2) per person. To charge by phone with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster (800) 745-3000. Tickets also are available for purchase at www.mgmgrand.com or www.ticketmaster.com.
UFC Magazine, the official publication of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, is offering subscriptions to UFC Newsletter members for the special rate of $19 annually. That’s seven issues at 61% off the newsstand price and a savings of $29. In addition, new subscribers are automatically entered to win a pair of tickets to a live UFC event! (more…)
Former 2004 Olympic Cuban gold medalist, Odlanier Solis, 18-1, 12 KOs, is getting ready for his Oct 12th defense of his IBF Intercontinental Heavyweight title against Leif Larsen, 16-0, 13 KOs. The fight will take place at Madrid Arena, in Madrid, Comunidad de Madrid, Spain. Solis is training hard and plans to continue his camp straight through to his next fight if he is successful on Oct. 12th.
Ahmet Oner, Solis’ advisor, said he is pleased with Solis’ training so far, “This is Solis’ last chance to get a world title. He has a new determination. He is taking his training very seriously, and moving in the right direction. We are pleased.”
WBC female super welterweight champion Mia St. John is back in action to defend her title for the first time against Seattle contender Molly McConnell on Saturday, November 10th in the 10 round main event of the Fight For Life charity show in Bakersfield, California. The four bout card, which is presented by Roy Englebrecht Promotions, will raise funds with 100% of the proceeds staying within the Bakersfield community to benefit families battling cancer. The major beneficiary will be the Kern County Community Cancer Fund which provides funds for families in Bakersfield who need help with covering their insurance premiums, families without insurance, or just to provide gas money so families can get to their treatments. (more…)
Audley Harrison has resisted going to a training camp for his ‘Battle of the Olympians’ clash against David Price and remained at home with his family. A Force’ gets his final big time opportunity when he challenges unbeaten British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion David Price (13-0) at Liverpool’s Echo Arena on Saturday October 13 on WealthTV.
Harrison, 40, usually locks himself away on California’s Big Bear Mountain, but for this big test he has stayed with wife Raychel and daughter Ariella in the United States. The 2000 Sydney Olympic gold medallist said: “When I was young, free and single I would go away and lock myself in training camp. It was all me, myself and I. I have got a beautiful wife, a beautiful daughter and my strength is in my family. If I went to camp it would be like a disconnection.” (more…)
Photos: Joel Colon/PR Best
WBO minimum champion Moises Fuentes arrived in Puerto Rico late last night for his bout against former two time titlist Ivan “Iron Boy” Calderon on October 6 at “The War,” to be held at the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon, Puerto Rico, in a PR Best Boxing Promotions (PRBBP) presentation, in association with All Star Boxing, Top Rank and Promociones Zanfer to be broadcast on “Pay Per View.”
Mexican Fuentes (15-1, 7 KOs), who is going to defend his belt for the second time, arrived with his team to complete his training this week for his fight versus Calderon (35-2-1, 6 KOs) in the co headline bout, scheduled to 12 rounds.
Headlining the show, Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. (21-2-1, 18 KOs) will face #3 WBO superbantamweight ranked Jonathan “Polvo” Oquendo (22-2, 15 KOs), for the WBO International 122lb title, scheduled to 12 rounds. (more…)
By Ron Jackson
It has been announced that former IBF junior lightweight champions Cassius Baloyi, 37, and Malcolm Klassen, 30, are to meet in a return match at the Nasrec Arena near Johannesburg on October 14. In their first fight on April 18, 2009 in Mafekeng Klassen blasted Baloyi out in seven rounds to win the IBF junior lightweight belt. On the same card Tsiko Mulovhetsi makes the first defence of his SA welterweight title against Kyle Smith. The event is promoted by Pat Molefe.
By Ron Jackson
Sydney Maluleke from Johannesburg caused an upset when he stopped local fighter Sabelo Jubatha in the seventh round to win the South African featherweight title at a packed Orient Theatre in East London on Sunday. Jubatha (14-2, 10 KOs) was making the second defense of the title that he won in December 2011 when stopped Simphiwe Tom in the fourth round. Jubatha took an early lead as he boxed from behind the jab but Maluleka picked up the pace in the sixth round and in the seventh he backed up the champion to land with left and rights before referee Andile Matika stepped in to wave the fight off.
Apparently the WBC had some bad information about the health of former heavyweight champion Ken Norton. We have been informed by boxing manager Butch Gottlieb who is close to the Norton family that Kenny did not suffer a heart attack and is in the hospital due to complications from a stroke.
“He had a stroke a couple of months ago and he’s been back and forth between the hospital and rehab since,” said Gottlieb. “He’s now in the hospital because he got an infection while he was in rehab so they had put him in the hospital just to keep an eye on it. He’s not in delicate condition. He happens to be strong as a horse….Kenny does not speak real good because the stroke paralyzed part of his face, but he’s getting better and they expect him to come out of this with minimal problems.”
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.