email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Ali-Santana is Klitschko-Jennings co-feature
- Cuadras-Concepcion heats up
- Brian Minto returns Saturday
- Ricky Burns update
- Bowie Tupou returns Friday
- Aldo & McGregor War of Words Continues in Las Vegas
- Jones Jr. aiming at Huck later this year
- Boxing Buzz
- Jones Jr. to defend fringe cruiser title Saturday
- On the Road Again: Jo Jo Dan in familiar situation
- Chico Rivas talks Kamil Laszczyk & Patryk Szymanski
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
Photo: Allen Shankar Ebanks
On Saturday night at the Arts and Recreation Centre in Camana Bay, Cayman Islands, local favorite Charles “Killa ” Whittaker captured the vacant USBA and WBC Latino 154lb titles with a convincing twelve round unanimous decision over Keenan Collins.
Damian Frias TKO2 Alex Perez (welterweight)
Peter Lewison TKO2 Alex Lubo (super middleweight
Alfred Deano D4 Rudolph Hedge (super bantam)
Wilky Campfort W4 Tsetie Davis (middleweight)
Sammy Payne D4 Roger Rose (jr welterweight)
For the past 25 years, Harold Lederman has served as HBO’s unofficial ringside judge, posting his own real-time scorecard and providing any rules interpretation that may be needed. Saturday night in Guadalajara, Mexico, Harold Lederman fulfills a long-time goal, when HBO Sports moves him into the analyst position for the opening fight (Adrien Broner vs. Jason Litzau) on the HBO Boxing After Dark telecast. Short one announcer this weekend, Lederman will call the opening bout with veteran blow-by-blow broadcaster Bob Papa. The bout is scheduled for 10 rounds. Lederman celebrated his 25th anniversary with HBO Boxing this past April, having worked ringside as the unofficial HBO scorer for more than a thousand fights. Roy Jones Jr., who is the late-night series lead analyst, will not work the Broner vs. Litzau fight since his promotional company has a relationship with Litzau. Jones will call the main event of Canelo Alvarez vs. Ryan Rhodes on HBO.
On Tuesday afternoon in New York City, WBC Middleweight Diamond Champion and universally recognized top-3 pound for pound fighter, Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez (47-2-2, 26 KOs) signed a new multiyear, multimillion dollar deal that will keep his promotional interest with DiBella Entertainment (“DBE”) for the foreseeable future. Martinez, 36, originally linked up with DBE in 2007 and is scheduled to return to the ring October 1 on HBO against European middleweight champion Darren Barker (23-0, 14 KOs).
Meanwhile handlers for WBO middleweight champion Dmitry Pirog (18-0, 14 KOs) are claiming that Martinez is ducking Pirog and implied that HBO is “punishing” Pirog for beating Danny Jacobs.
Espinoza Boxing has re-signed unbeaten super featherweight prospect Ronny Rios (14-0, 6 KOs).
Dmitriy Salita had a feature article in the Wall Street Journal (printed and online versions).
Photo: Diego Magdaleno (19-0, 7 KOs) hits the mitts with trainer Augie Sanchez at Barry’s Gym in Las Vegas this afternoon. On his first Showtime headliner, Magdaleno will defend his NABF super featherweight title on July 15 at the Texas Station against Alejandro Perez (15-2-1, 10 KOs).
World champion Brandon Rios and stablemate Mikey Garcia are holding a charity boxing function in Oxnard, Ca. this Saturday with all proceeds to be given to the family of amateur boxer Gustavo Rodriguez who was shot and killed last week. “Gustavo was one of my amateur fighters. He was just 17. He worked out at the gym last Friday and while walking home was shot and killed,” said Robert Garcia, chief trainer. “It is a real tragedy and Brandon and my brother Mikey want to help the family.” Rios and Garcia will go into the ring and shake out for fight fans at the Robert Garcia Boxing Academy, 1601 Pacific Ave #201, Oxnard, Ca. 93033. “We will have a donation box at the gym,” said Robert. “All of the money will go to the family. We are hoping all of the fans will come out and help. Brandon and Mikey will sign autographs, take pictures, anything that will help.” Rios has been training for weeks to prepare for his world title defense against challenger Urbano Antillon of Maywood, Ca., on July 9 at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Ca. Rios vs. Antillon will be televised live on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING.
World champions Miguel “Títere” Vázquez and Giovani Segura will share the ring on Saturday night at the Musica Hall de Toluca i the State of Mexico.
Vázquez (28-3-0, 12 KOs) will make the third defense of his IBF lightweight championship against Marlon “Rata” Aguilar (25-10-1, 18 KOs) in a boxer vs. slugger matchup.
Segura (27-1-1, 23 KOs) will not expose his WBO light flyweight world championship and WBA light flyweight super championship, as he faces Eddy Zúñiga (7-5-1, 1 KO) in a non-title ten rounder.
By Rey Colón -The Sport Press
Antonio Margarito has agreed to challenge WBA junior middleweight Miguel Cotto on December 3 in New York City. According to one of his handlers, Francisco Espinoza, the ‘Tijuana Tornado’ has already received the doctor’s approval and is in the preliminary phase of his training. The bout will be for Cotto’s 154lb title with no catch weight.
With Efrain Esquivias sidelined due to a cut suffered while training, Thompson Boxing Promotions has announced a new main event for their June 24th show at the Doubletree Hotel in Ontario, California. Jr welterweight Jose “El Nino” Reynoso (14-2-1, 2KOs) meets Esteban Almaraz (10-3, 4 KOs) in the new headliner. In the co-main event, scheduled for eight rounds in the featherweight division, Colombia’s Daulis Prescott (22-0, 17 KOs), the younger brother of Breidis Prescott, faces Juan Jose Beltran (20-24-2, 12 KOs). Also, welterweight Artemio “King” Reyes Jr. (11-1, 10 KOs) goes against Chris Gray (13-15, 1 KO).
By Wolfgang Schiffbauer
WBA middleweight world champion Felix Sturm is in the final stages of training camp for his tenth title defense on June 25 at the 18,000 seat Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany, against the hard-hitting and dangerous Irishman Matthew Macklin. The defending champion engaged in a ten-round sparring session today against two different sparring partners, with one of them being the experienced former European champion Lolenga Mock–a regular in Sturm’s camp. For more details and photos click here…
Per Joe Dwyer NABF President: Effective immediately, any two (2) rated NABF boxers who engage in an elimination bout will see the winner elevated to # 1 rated in their division. The current NABF champion will then be obligated to defend against that boxer in their upcoming mandatory title defense. Failure to do so will result in the title being vacated. The NABF Executive Committee implemented this rule at their Atlantic City Convention, last week.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
The bout for the WBA featherweight world title between former world champion Celestino “Pelenchín” Caballero and champion Jonathan Victor Barros scheduled for June 18 in Mendoza, Argentina has been postponed to a new date. The reason given is the travel situation to and from South America due to volcanic ash that have caused the cancellation of flights. Caballero had tried to leave Panama on Sunday and Monday, but both flights were cancelled. July 2 was given as a possible rescheduled date.
UPDATE: Teon Kennedy was released today on his own recognizance and did not have to post any bail. The victim has told people that he knows it was not Teon who shot him and Teon’s fight Aug. 13 at Bally’s is going forward as planned.
– J Russell Peltz, Teon’s promoter
Philadelphia based USBA jr featherweight champion Teon Kennedy (17-0-1, 7 KOs) is being held by authorities on a variety of charges including attempted murder. Other charges include aggravated assault, conspiracy to commit murder, carrying forearms without a license, carrying firearms in public, possession of an instrument of crime, simple assault and recklessly endangering another person. All the charges are stemming from an incident on May 30 and he has been in custody since awaiting a preliminary hearing. He was slated to fight in Atlantic City on August 13.
Unbeaten welterweight Kell Brook (23-0, 16 KOs) says he will become the first man to stop veteran Lovemore N’dou (48-12-2, 31 KOs) on June 25 at the Hillsborough Leisure Centre in Sheffield, England. “It’s a massive night for me and I plan to put on a dazzling show for those lucky enough to be there to watch it,” said Brook. “I know N’dou will be a real test but that’s what I want – an opponent who is going to take me to places I haven’t been so far. I’m training to go 12 rounds with him but I know that stopping him will send out a real message that I am ready to mix it with the very best and fight for a world title….there are big, big fights out there for me – but first things first, I need to see off N’dou and do it in style live on Sky Sports.”
Looks like middleweight champion Sergio Martinez will return in October against WBC #3 ranked Darren Barker from London, England. Contracts are yet to be signed but both camps are onboard for the fight. Barker is 23-0, 14 KOs and is the reigning British, Commonwealth and European titleholder.
In 2010, Bobby Voelker and Roger Bowling engaged in two of the most exciting contests of the year, splitting victories and leaving fans craving a third fight to settle the score. On July 22, the wait will come to an end as STRIKEFORCE® Challengers presents the rubber match at the Pearl at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, Nev., live on SHOWTIME at 11 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast). (more…)
NABA lightweight titleholder Logan Cotton McGuinness defends his belt for the first time June 24th in the 10-round main event against Daniel “Canerito” Ruiz, headlining “Friday Night At The Fights,” at Hershey Centre in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. The unbeaten McGuinness (14-0-1, 7 KOs), rated #11 by the WBA, will be fighting at home where he won the NABA belt this past February, stopping veteran Hector Julio Avila (47-5) in the fourth round. Ruiz (22-3-1, 16 KOs) will be fighting outside of his native Mexico for the first time. He is undefeated in his last five fights with four wins and a draw. (more…)
By Joe Koizumi
Newly crowned WBC 105-pound champ Hiroki Ioka (7-0, 5 KOs) will defend his belt against official challenger Juan Hernandez (18-1, 13 KOs), Mexico, at the Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, Japan, on August 10. For Ioka, 22, it will be his first defense since he impressively dethroned previously unbeaten Oleydong Sithsamerchai via fifth round stoppage last February.
By Joe Koizumi
WBA#6/WBC#8 Japanese lightweight champ Nihito Arakawa (20-1-1, 14 KOs), 134.5, kept his national belt as he connected with good combinations with precision and finally dropped Masanori Shoda (14-8-1, 7 KOs), 135, with a solid southpaw left, prompting the referee Tsuchiya’s intervention at 2:09 of the fourth round on Monday in Tokyo, Japan.
In a national title twinbill, Makoto Fuchigami (16-6, 7 KOs), 159.25, made his second defense of the Japanese middleweight belt when he had Hidenori Tajima (13-8-1, 8 KOs), 160, retire on the stool because of his cornerman’s decision after the fifth session. (more…)
By Joe Koizumi
Unbeaten Ryo Miyazaki (14-0-3, 8 KOs), 108, successfully retained his OPBF light-flyweight belt by earning a unanimous decision (118-110, 119-110 and 117-111) over Filipino Donny Mabao (AKA Mabao D. Singwangcha; 17-19-1, 3 KOs), 107.75, on Sunday in Osaka, Japan. Miyazaki, a stablemate of WBA 108-pound champ Kazuto Ioka, maintained the pressure with strong rights, piling up points steadily. Promoter: Ioka Promotions.
By Pepe Rodríguez/WBC
Photo: Quequi Newspaper of Quintana Roo
The current WBC lightweight champion Humberto “La Zorrita” Soto (55-7-2), entered the final stage of his preparation to defend the WBC crown against the Japan’s Motoki Sasaski (36-8,-1) on June 25 in Cozumel Mexico. Soto began on Monday what will be his last week in the mountains of Temoaya, Mexico, where he remained for the past six weeks, and is almost ready to defend his world championship for the fourth time.
The event will be called “Kamikases en Cozumel”, and will take place at the Quintana Roo park of the beautiful island of Cozumel, Mexico. “This will be a great fight because Sasaki, as a good Japanese fighter, will come to give a war in the ring,” said Romulo Quirarte Jr. (Soto’s trainer), who added that Humberto has acquired a physical and mental strength as never before. The young coach said that the speed will be the key at the time of battle, so he has placed special emphasis on Soto’s footwork. In the co-feature, unbeaten fighters Antonio “Cañitas” Lozada and Roberto “Massa” Ortiz meet for the WBC super lightweight silver championship.
Undefeated, highly-regarded junior featherweight Luis Rosa, Jr. (6-0, 5 KOs) lead the New Haven Six into the Connecticut Convention Center in Hartford this Saturday night, launching “The New Generation Boxing Series,” presented by Bulldog Cartel Promotions on Saturday night. “This new series is all about Connecticut boxers fighting at home,” said former pro boxer and new Bulldog Cartel promoter Craig Salamone. “There are a lot of talented, young boxers in this state and our goal is to get them fighting at home on a regular basis in order for them to build fan-bases. We have six New Haven-based fighters on this show and our plans call for us to promote our next show in New Haven later this summer.”
The eight-round main event features two veteran cruiserweights, Joshua “Juice” Harris (7-4-1, 5 KOs), of Providence, and Harvey “Candy Man” Jolly (11-17-1, 6 KOs). (more…)
By Boxing Bob Newman
By Robert Coster
“It’s a great gift to be performing in my homeland” says WBA #6, IBF #9, WBO #11 featherweight Nicholas “Axe Man” Walters as he is getting ready to fight in his native Jamaica for the first time as a pro on Thursday. Walters (17-0, 14 KOs), based in Panama, will be defending his WBA Fedelatin title against Argel Salinas(14-8-1, 7 KOs) of Mexico on a card that is marking the return of international boxing to the Caribbean island.
“I want to look impressive, declared the 25 year-old “Axe Man,” not only because I’m fighting in front of my home fans but because the bout will be televised nationally and it is important to have a great show to help boxing return to Jamaica.” (more…)
Trainer Freddie Roach is hopeful that WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will face his charge Vanes Martirosyan should Alvarez get past Ryan Rhodes on Saturday evening. “We want Vanes to fight Alvarez next and we know that Mr. Sulaiman and the WBC will do the right thing in the interest of boxing and its fans,” said Roach. In addition to winning the WBC silver belt, Martirosyan earned the #1 mandatory position to face Alvarez when he defeated Saul Roman via TKO on June 4th at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles.
By Phil Doherty
Photo: Rey Sanchez
What do you do when you acquire a brand new “Mercedes? ” The obvious answer according to Dream Team Boxing Promotions–You take it on the road and bring it up to highway speed. That’s because the “Mercedes” in question is the 6-ft 4-in undefeated southpaw Cuban heavyweight Luis “El Mercedes” Ortiz (10-0, 8 KOs). The Miami-based promotional company formed by Henry Rivalta and Carlos Rodriquez mapped out big plans for their big man this year. (more…)
By Francisco Salazar
Photos: Ricardo Conde
A grand opening and a meet and greet with today’s prospects highlighted an afternoon on Saturday in Santa Paula, CA. The Extreme Boxing Gym opened in an industrial area on the west side of town. Dozens of children and teenagers milled about the gym, as they envisioned hitting the heavy bag or shadow-boxing in the ring. Manager Frank Espinoza brought about his young stable of fighters, where they signed autographs and took pictures with fight fans, young and old. Espinoza was happy to lend his support to the gym’s opening. For more details and photos click here…
By Boxing Bob Newman
Photos: Mike Greenhill
Canastota, New York, affectionately known as “Title Town, USA,” held the 22nd annual International Boxing Hall of Fame inductions this weekend, witnessed by record crowds throughout the four-day event. Except for early morning showers on induction Sunday, the weather couldn’t have been more perfect, with mild temperatures, a mix of sun and clouds, making things for the fans and fighters a like, enjoyable as many of the events such as training sessions and the golf tournament are held outdoors. For more details and photos click here…
World cruiserweight contender Troy Ross has been added to the “Friday Night At The Fights” professional boxing card, June 24 at Hershey Centre in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. “Friday Night At The Fights” is being presented by United Boxing Promotions in association with Hennessy Sports and Groupe Yvon Michel. Ross is the top-rated IBF contender at #3 (#1 and #2 are not rated), #14 by the WBA, and #15 by the WBC. The two-time Canadian Olympian will face an opponent to be determined June 24 in a eight-round bout. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Former WBA world champion Lorenzo “Lencho” Parra is in Panama to fight for the WBA super bantamweight belt against champion Anselmo “Chemito” Moreno on Friday at the Roberto Duran Arena. “I’m in good shape for this fight. Moreno is a great champion but I am confident of victory. I have a commitment to Venezuela,” said Parra. A source indicated that Moreno could do his last rounds of sparring today or tomorrow depending on how he feels and then only do roadwork to maintain weight.
Just two weeks away from his next boxing match, junior welterweight Jose Reynoso (14-2-1, 2KOs) has signed with southern California-based Thompson Boxing Promotions.
“We are proud to add Jose Reynoso to our roster of future world champions,” said promoter Ken Thompson. “He is a determined, salacious southpaw, with amazing hand speed.” (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.