email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Boxing Buzz
- Antwerp, Belgium: "Il dottore" is back!
- Now beltless, Algieri talks about future plans
- Bellew, Cleverly postfight comments
- Fight Night Austin Post Fight
- Pacquiao, Arum say Mayweather fight HAS to happen
- Ex-champs "Cuatito" Ruiz and "Confesor" Hernandez victorious in Toluca, Mexico
- Results from Hanover, PA
- Fight Night Austin Main Results: Edgar Dominates Swanson
- Pacquiao floors Algieri six times, wins unanimous decision
- Shiming wins eliminator; Lomachenko, Vargas retain world titles
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
When John Hathaway made his UFC debut in January of 2009, he was 21 years old and part of a small group of under-25 prospects that included the then-youngest fighter in the organization, his 20-year old opponent Tom Egan . . . Click here for more by Thomas Gerbasi, UFC.com
. . . .
For more on the UFC or UFC on FOX: Diaz vs. Miller, visit UFC.com
By Francisco Salazar
Hoping to bank on their success from their inaugural show in February, El Dorado Entertainment returns to the Oceanview Pavilion in Port Hueneme, CA on Saturday, May 26th. In the main event of the seven-bout “Commotion by the Ocean” card, unbeaten Jose Aguiniga will face Eduardo Arcos in a scheduled 10 rounds super featherweight round bout. In the main supporting bout, unbeaten Roger Romo will take on Gregorio Viramontes in a six round bout. (more…)
WBO middleweight champion Dmitry Pirog (20-0, 15 KOs) pounded out a twelve round unanimous decision over Nobuhiro Ishida (24-8-2, 9 KOs) on Tuesday night at the Sport Complex Krylatskoe in Moscow, Russia. Pirog landed the better blows early on, doing most of the early damage with his right hand. Ishida connected with some nice combinations at times and was competitive in every round, but Pirog usualy did more en route to his third defense of the title. Scores were 119-109, 117-111, 120-108.
Unbeaten heavyweight Vyacheslav Glazkov (12-0, 9 KOs) scored a seventh round KO over Gbenga Oloukun (19-8, 12 KOs). A brutal body shot finished Oloukun at the 1:32 mark.
Dmitry Kudryashov KO1 Alexey Varagushin (cruiserweight)
Dmitriy Kadeykin W4 Fuad Muradov (light heavyweight)
Maxim Chemezov W4 Sergey Akimov (super middleweight)
All Star Boxing, Inc. will return with their successful “Boxeo Telemundo” series on May 18 to the recently renovated Auditorio Plaza Condesa In Mexico City. In the main event, undefeated 18-year-old prospect Mauricio “El Trompas” Pintor (17-0-1, 11 KOs), nephew of Mexican Legend Lupe Pintor, will face the toughest test of his young career when he battles compatriot Ivan “Macanon” Cano (21-3, 15 KOs) in a fight scheduled for ten rounds with the vacant WBC Youth jr. welterweight title at stake.
First bell at 8:00 PM, six more fights round out the card. The main event will be televised live by Telemundo Network at 11:35PM. Tickets are already on sale at Auditorio Plaza Condesa (Juan Escutia #4, Esq. Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon, Colonia Condesa) and also at ticketmaster.com.mx, prices are: $200 and $100 (MP). The show is being presented by Tuto Zabala’s Jr. All Star Boxing, Inc. in association with Ricardo Maldonado, Jr., Producciones Deportivas and RB Producciones.
By Przemek Garczarczyk
“Rowland told me before the Librado Andrade fight that nobody knows who he is now, but in a couple of months, everybody will. I believe him. There are already strong promoters interested in signing Rowland, and helping him jump to the level he can really fight. I just want people around to realize what the man, who had four fights in the last 5+ years was able to do,” trainer Josue Aguilar told Fightnews.com after his unknown fighter Rowland Bryant (16-1, 11 KOs) surprised everybody with a spectacular TKO last month against former super middleweight world title challenger and current WBC Continental America titleholder Librado Andrade (30-5, 23 KO) in El Paso, Texas. (more…)
Ricky Hatton has vowed to give his talent stacked stable a new television home after Hatton Promotions split from Sky Sports. The British television network decided not to give the European Promoter of the Year any further dates after their Manchester Velodrome super show on Saturday June 16. The Hitman said: “The news came as a blow and I feel we have been unfairly treated, but there are meetings already set up with other TV channels. Next season I am very confident that my fighters will have a big television platform to perform on. I have a great stable of fighters, many champions and a hard working team. TV companies have contacted me – not me them which is encouraging. It shows the great promotions I have staged for Sky hasn’t gone unnoticed. (more…)
A heated middleweight title fight and a pair of long-awaited rubber matches highlight a loaded UFC® card slated for Saturday, July 7 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The Ultimate Fighting Championship® announced today that tickets will go on sale to the public this Friday for UFC® 148: SILVA vs. SONNEN 2. (more…)
It’s official: State Championship Boxing is coming to the Newtown Athletic Club. Terrance “The Heat” Cauthen and “The New” Ray Robinson will battle for 10 rounds, or less, for the vacant Pennsylvania welterweight title on Saturday evening, May 12, at the Newtown Athletic Club (NAC), 120 Pheasant Run, Newtown, PA.
Cauthen (36-7, 9 K0s), who has held the NABF junior welterweight title, NABA junior welterweight title and USBA junior middleweight title, won a bronze medal for the United States at the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games. By contrast, Robinson (13-2, 5 K0s) has never fought for a title and has been waiting for this opportunity since he turned pro in 2006. (more…)
The Octagon debut of Pascal Krauss couldn’t have gone any better, as his UFC 122 win over Mark Scanlon in November of 2010 kept his unbeaten (10-0) record intact and earned him Fight of the Night honors. Nine months later, he wondered if he would reach those heights again. . . Click here for more by Thomas Gerbasi, UFC.com
. . . .
For more on the UFC or UFC on FOX: Diaz vs. Miller, visit UFC.com
Despite being dethroned by Chad Dawson last Saturday, there i no quit in 47-year-old future hall of famer Bernard Hopkins. The oldest man to ever a win a major boxing title has now set his sights on besting his own record by winning yet another title later in 2012. “I fought hard Saturday night and feel the fight was closer than two of the scores reflected,” said Hopkins. “Regardless of the result, I will continue my career and challenge any champion in my division. I might be older, but I don’t feel a decline in my skills or abilities in the ring. I love to fight and am still competing at a level where boxing cannot deny me the opportunity to succeed.”
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Mexican WBO featherweight world champion Orlando “Siri” Salido (38-11-2, 26 KOs) has sent congratulations to his compatriot Jhonny Gonzalez (52-7, 45 KOs) for his defense of his WBC Featherweight title on Saturday against the Dominican Elio Rojas in Cancun. Salido has also told his promoter Fernando Beltran to explore a possible unification fight with Jhonny Gonzalez. “It would be a fight for the fans, a battle of two warriors, two champions,” said Salido. Neither I nor Gonzalez take a step back, it would the kind of fight I like: dramatic and action-packed.” Salido also seeks a title shot against WBO super feather champion Adrien “The Problem” Boner (29-0, 23 KOs).
Former welterweight Luis Resto has been officially denied a license as a Boxing Second by the New York State Athletic Commission. Determining factors in the commission’s decision included Resto’s 1986 conviction for Assault in the Second Degree for boxing Billy Collins, Jr. with some of the padding removed from his gloves combined with the NYSAC’s mission to protect the safety and welfare of boxers and whether granting a license is consistent with the public interest and in the best interest of boxing.
“The decision of the commission is disappointing considering the time served in prison by Mr. Resto and his subsequent remorse. I wonder if there was a financial or political gain to be made by the NYSAC, would the outcome have been different?” commented movie director Eric Drath, who profiled Resto’s story in the 2009 film Assault In The Ring. Resto’s application and license fee were submitted to the NYSAC in association with the Aaron Davis Boxing Gym in the Bronx.
With three hugely successful boxing events under their belt so far in 2012, Erik “Terrible” Morales’ promotional outfit Box Latino is gearing up to go outside of Baja California and present a card on May 19th, in Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico where hometown favorite and WBC USNBC super bantamweight champion Oscar “Fantasma” Gonzalez (27-1, 24KOs) looks to defend his newly acquired versus elite level challenger Giovanni “Ruso” Caro (23-10-4, 18KOs) of Mexico City, Mexico, in a scheduled twelve round bout. Televisa, as part of their weekly “Sabados de Corona” boxing series, will broadcast the contest live in Mexico.
In the co-feature, undefeated NABF junior flyweight champion Pedro “Pedrin” Guevara (17-0-1, 13KOs) of Mazatlan, Mexico, will be defending his title versus La Paz, Mexico’s Raul “Pay” Castañeda (14-2, 8KOs) in a twelve round tilt. The night will also mark the return of super featherweight Omar “Dinamita” Estrella (15-4-2, 10KOs) of Tijuana, Mexico against the always dangerous TBA.
By Dave Spencer
Arash Usmanee (18-0 8KO) was due for a final exam this month; instead the undefeated super-featherweight will be going to summer school starting this Friday as he faces off against Cristian Faccio (21-7 14KO) in his boxing home of Montreal. “Adrian Bronner called us for a fight in May for the world title,” Usmanee tells FightNews, “But I had just come back for training, and the timing just wasn’t right.” Adding to the bad timing was the fact that the Red Deer Alberta injured his right hand in his last fight in March, a ten round decision over undefeated Chris Howard in Atlanta.
“We want to see how it reacts and whether or not he has a good fight before moving on,” said his manager Doug Berneche who built a four part summer series around the 30 year-old fighter who meets former world title challenger Cristian Faccio this Friday. “If everything goes well, Arash will defend his WBC (Continental Americas) belt in June.” (More)
Former world champion Antonio Margarito’s fight on May 26 against Abel Perry (18-5, 9 KOs) at Casino De Sol in Tucson, Arizona, was announced Monday during a press conference at the resort hotel in southern Arizona. The bout will be Margarito’s first since the three-time world welterweight champion lost to Miguel Cotto in December in New York. Margarito will fight Perry as a middleweight.
Unbeaten junior-welterweight prospect Jose Benavidez Jr. also appeared at the news conference for the Top Rank and Showdown Promotions card, which will be televised by Azteca America. Benavidez is scheduled for his first bout since undergoing surgery in January on his right wrist.
Professional boxing returns May 17 to the Plattduetsche Park Restaurant in Franklin Square, New York as Bob Duffy’s Ring Promotions, in association with Winner Take All Productions, presents “Bombs Away On Long Island,” showcasing many of Long Island’s most popular and promising prospects. Long Island-based boxers on the card include Joe “The Irish Bomber” Smith, Jr. (9-1, 9 KOs), Cletus “The Hebrew Hammer” Seldin (7-0, 5 KOs), Ronson Frank (16-0, 8 KOs), Tommy “The Razor” Rainone (17-4, 4 KOs) and Mike “Lefty” Brooks (6-0, 1 KO).
The main event is an eight-round match featuring undefeated light welterweight Emmanuel Lartei “Bukom Joe” Lartey (12-01, 7 KOs), a former African and Ghanaian champion now living in New York City, against USA Mid-American welterweight title-holder Boyd Henley (9-1-1, 8 KOs), who fights out of Kansas City, Missouri.
Tickets are priced at $150.00 (VIP pre-party and ringside), $75.00 (ringside) an $40.00 (general admission) and available to purchase at the Plattdeutsch Park Restaurant (1132 Hempstead Turnpike in Franklin Square) or by calling 516.313.2477 or 516.354.3131. Doors open for the VIP pre-party at 6:00 PM/ET, 7:00 PM/ET for the general public. The first bout is scheduled to start at 7:30 PM/ET.
Living and training in Hoboken, Louis Gaudinot is only a couple exits on the New Jersey Turnpike away from what may end up being the most important fight of his three year pro mixed martial arts career this Saturday night against Brazil’s John Lineker, but the length of the drive to East Rutherford doesn’t do justice to the time it took him to get here . . . Click here for more by Thomas Gerbasi, UFC.com
. . . .
For more on the UFC or UFC on FOX: Diaz vs. Miller, visit UFC.com
WBO president Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel, announced today the referee and judges who will work on the world title bouts to be held this week in Russia and Germany.
For tomorrow’s Pirog-Ishida fight in Moscow, the referee will be Manuel Maritxalar, from Spain. The judges are Fernando Laguna Yanes, from Spain, John Madfis, from United States, and Noel Monnet, from France. WBO supervisor for this bout will be Igor Mazurov.
For Saturday’s WBO twin twin bill in Erfurt, the referee for Huck-Afolabi will be Robert Byrd, from the United States. The judges are Ingo Barrabas, from Germany, Paul Thomas, from United Kingdom, and Nelson Vazquez, from Puerto Rico. WBO supervisor will be Istvan Kovacs. The referee for Stieglitz-Hamdan will be Dave Parris, from United Kingdom, and the judges will be Manuel Oliver Palomo, Ingo Barrabas and Nelson Vazquez. WBO supervisor will be Istvan Kovacs.
Where: MGM Grand Hotel Lobby
1:30 p.m. – Sugar Shane Mosley
2:00 p.m. – Canelo Alvarez
2:30 p.m. – Miguel Cotto
3:00 p.m. – Floyd Mayweather
Ringside Report: Rick Scharmberg and Kurt Wolfheimer
Photos: Ed Mulholland
“Bad” Chad Dawson (31-1, 17 KOs) got the redemption he craved after taking Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins’ (52-6-2, 32 KOs) WBC light heavyweight title by majority decision in front of a crowd of 7,705 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ. Their bout was a rematch of a controversial “no contest” fought last October in Los Angeles, CA. The scores were 117-111 (twice) and 114-114. In the co-feature, Seth “Mayhem” Mitchell (25-0-1, 19 KOs) came back from a rocky opening round to stop Chazz “The Gentleman” Witherspoon (30-3, 22 KOs) in the third round of a scheduled twelve round bout, in what was a classic heavyweight slugfest. Mitchell took home the vacant NABO heavyweight belt. The card was promoted by Golden Boy Promotions in association with Gary Shaw Productions. (More)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.