email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Goossen Promotions returns Nov 20
- Bradley, Herrera, Benavidez Quick Quotes
- Bradley-Chaves/Herrera-Benavidez Ticket Alert
- A champion will be crowned at The Ultimate Fighter Finale on Dec. 12
- Wladimir Klitschko uncensored, outspoken interview
- WBC Convention set for December 14-20
- Mack to face Cummings on Saturday
- Rodriguez ready to bounce back on Friday night
- JC Salgado ready to face Aoh in Japan
- Campbell, Coyle update
- Gallery/report: Golovkin-Rubio & Walters-Donaire
By Boxing Bob Newman
Chris Ganescu, manager of WBC #5 welterweight Ionut Dan Ion, a.k.a. Jo Jo Dan, contacted Fightnews today to share news of the WBC’s order for Dan to face WBC Silver champion Selcuk Aydin in a rematch of their June 5, 2010 battle in Istanbul Turkey. Aydin won a controversial split decision and the WBC Silver belt in the battle of then undefeateds. The winner this time will be the mandatory challenger for the winner of the September 17th WBC welterweight title fight between champion Victor Ortiz-Floyd Mayweather. Dan’s manager Ganescu had this to say, “Jo Jo has no problem going on the road again! But I will do everything possible to keep this fight out of Turkey! I believe it belongs in North America- hopefully in Canada!” If both parties cannot agree to terms during the free negotiation period, otherwise pursebids will be held in Mexico City September 2nd.
By Ron Jackson
Page Tshesane and Nkululeko Mhlongo meet for the vacant South African junior middleweight title at the Mhuluzi Extension 7 Community Hall in Middleburg on Saturday. The title became vacant when Tshepo Mashego was stripped by Boxing SA for not defending his title within the regulated period. (more…)
Super featherweight Monty Meza-Clay (30-3, 20 KOs) returns to Rivers Casino’s outdoor amphitheatre on Pittsburgh’s North Shore on August 13 against an opponent to be named. Also included on the fight card is Andres “Taylor Made” Taylor, “The Boilermaker” Billy Hutchinson, Jaque “Lights Out” Lutz, and more. Promoter Roy Jones Jr. will be on hand. Tickets are $100, $60 and $35. All ages are welcome to attend the event, but guests must be 21 years or older to enter the casino.
By Karl Freitag
Last week Felix Sturm told Fightnews.com’s Wolfgang Schiffbauer that he has sent Matthew Macklin a contract for a rematch but still hasn’t received an answer. “He received a contract three days after the fight and he should man up and agree to the rematch,” said Sturm. “Everybody wants to see the rematch. He believes he beat me on June 25 and now he can prove that he is better than me. He would get a second chance to become world champion. Matthew, step up to the plate and let’s fight again!”
Macklin, however claims Sturm doesn’t want to fight him. “I don’t think he has any intention of pursuing a rematch with me,” stated Macklin. “If he wants to fight me again, it’s an easy fight to make, as he is his own promoter. I think he knows that he cannot beat me. He’s not going to come to Ireland or England. Fighting Sturm in New York would be great, but I would go back to Germany if I had to. I’d expect a fairer crack at the fight. I think the German officials would be under a lot more pressure to make sure things were on the level, given the controversy of our first fight.”
It will be a battle for home state supremacy on August 20 when Edwin “La Bomba” Rodriguez puts his unbeaten record on the line in the main event of Broadway Boxing from Mechanics Hall in Worcester, Massachusetts. Rodriguez (18-0, 13 KOs), a Worcester native, will battle another local favorite, Chris Traetti (10-2, 6 KOs), who hails from just down the road in Quincy. Since last June, when Rodriguez last stepped into the ring in his hometown, he has hit the road to score the two biggest wins of his career, a ninth round stoppage of James McGirt, Jr. to capture the WBC USNBC super middleweight title last November and a ten round decision over top-10 ranked super middleweight Aaron Pryor, Jr. in January. Traetti believes that those wins add weight on Rodriguez’s shoulders to perform that may pave the way to an upset. “I’ll get another fight because I promote my own shows,” said Traetti. “If he loses, there goes the world title shot. All the pressure is on him, and that is pretty liberating for me as a fighter.”
By Joe Koizumi
Formerly two-class WBC champ Hozumi Hasegawa (29-4, 12 KOs), a Japanese southpaw, had been contemplating whether or not he would go on fighting after his shocking forfeiture of the newly acquired WBC feather belt via annihilation by Jhonny Gonzalez this April. Hasegawa, 30, declared he would return to ring warfare to pursue his fistic career once again at press conference on Monday at Shinsei Gym in Kobe, Japan. The Japanese lefty speedster registered ten defenses of the WBC bantam throne to his credit, but saw a nightmare when he coped with WBO ruler Fernando Montiel, succumbing by a fourth round TKO in April of the previous year. Having had a severe weight problem, Hasegawa jumped up two divisions and impressively acquired the vacant WBC feather belt by outhustling unbeaten Mexican Juan Carlos Burgos on points last November. Hasegawa, however, engaged in a mandated initial defense with the official challenger Gonzalez, whom he outpunched with quick combinations to be leading on points but whose pulverizing right dramatically turned the tide midway in the fourth canto. Hasegawa said, “I’d like to prove my power in the feather class and hope to enjoy fighting from now on.” Hasegawa had been originally a speedster dependent on his strategy of hitting without getting hit, but his KO streak in five title defenses gradually changed him into a puncher that loved to mix it up. His reckless tendency might cause a couple of stoppages by Montiel and Gonzalez, so he had better return to his previously favorite hit-and-run tactics, if possible. If so, he may be successful again even in the 126-pound category.
By Peter Lim
Now that former unified lightweight titleholder Juan Diaz has retired, Houston’s Savannah Boxing Club is looking to a new generation of boxers to fill his shoes. Junior welterweight Juan “Pancho” Copado and middleweight Demazo Tello, both amateur standouts long-time members at Savannah’s, will make their pro debuts as the headliners at the Rio Grande Event Center in Houston tonight. Dubbed Summer Heat Explosion, the card will be staged by Calm Before the Storm Promotions. Copado, 22, won the Ringside 141-pound title last year, while Tello, 20, is a former Texas Golden Gloves champion. Other local prospects scheduled to fight on the card are welterweight Rogelio De La Torre, 5-0 (3 KOs), super flyweight Ashley Alvarado, 3-0 (2 KOs), light heavyweight Terrence Woods, 8-2 (6 KOs), and Luis Zarazua (debut).
Andre Berto, after losing his WBC welterweight title to Victor Ortiz during a “Fight of the Year” candidate earlier this year, is fighting IBF welterweight champion Jan Zaveck on September 3rd in the “Battle in Biloxi” at the Beau Rivage Resort & Casino in Biloxi, Mississippi.
Berto and Oritz fought a war back in April with both fighters going down several times. Ortiz dropped Berto with a left hook in round one but it ruled as a slip by referee Michael Ortega. Later in the round he floored Berto again and this one counted. Berto knocked down an off balance Ortiz in round two. Ortiz rocked Berto again in round three and continued to dominate as Berto spent considerable time on the ropes absorbing punishment. In round six, Berto stayed in the center of the ring and dropped Ortiz with a big right hand, but during Berto’s follow-up attack Ortiz floored him! The fight settled down after round six except for a point deduction from Ortiz in round ten for a punch behind the head. The final scores of 115-110, 114-112 and 114-111 did not reflect the high-drama of the contest. (more…)
WBA bantamweight super champion Anselmo Moreno has signed an exclusive, multi-fight promotional agreement with Golden Boy Promotions. A native of Miguelito, Panama, 26-year-old Moreno (30-1-1, 10 KOs) is unbeaten since a split decision loss in his first year as a professional in 2002. Since then, he has defeated everyone in his path and in May of 2008, he won the WBA Bantamweight World Championship with a 12 round decision win over then-unbeaten Wladimir Sidorenko. Since then, the southpaw has defended his title seven times, including a rematch win over Sidorenko and a victory over Mahyar Monshipour in 2009. In his three most recent bouts, Moreno scored back-to-back wins over Nehomar Cermeno, and on June 16, he successfully defended his crown for the eighth time when he scored an eighth round knockout win over former World Champion Lorenzo Parra. A date and opponent for Moreno’s Golden Boy Promotions debut will be announced shortly.
DiBella Entertainment has added Irish middleweight contender Matthew “Mack the Knife” Macklin (28-3, 19 KOs) to its ever-growing stable of fighters. Macklin, 29, is currently ranked #4 by the WBA, #7 by the WBO, and #12 by the IBO, and has nothing but big fights on his mind as he joins the same promotional roster as middleweight champion Sergio Martinez and middleweight contenders Andy Lee, Brian Vera, Ronald Hearns, Peter Manfredo, Jr., and Ishe Smith. Coming off a close loss to “Super” WBA middleweight titlist Felix Sturm, Macklin is looking for redemption under a new promotional banner, a deal to bring him to the United States that was facilitated by Brian Peters, his manager since 2005.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Word is former world champion Fernando “Kochulito” Montiel (45-3-2, 35 KOs) has been training for a possible fight with Nicaraguan prospect Orlando Rizo (13-2, 9 KOs) on August 20 in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico. The source said that after Montiels’s victory over former WBA world champion Nehomar Cermeño, Montiel will seek the possibility to remain campaigning in super bantamweight in the search of a world title in a fourth weight division. Montiel is doing his workouts in the Montiel Family Gym, which recently opened in Los Mochis, Sinaloa, and would travel to Ensenada a week before the fight.
By Francisco Salazar
Photo: Big Joe Miranda
Erik Morales: “I heard from people that (Marcos) Maidana was going to kill me in my last fight. People think that I was crazy. The reality is, I am crazy, crazy for what I do. The thing is I believe in myself, so I took the fight. Lucas is a strong fighter. This is the fight people want to see.”
Josesito Lopez: “Me and Jessie (Vargas) are guaranteed action. We’re two top fighters who are at the top of our game. We’re coming into this fight well-prepared.”
Jesse Vargas: “It’s a pleasure to be on the same show as Morales. I’ve looked up to him, as I do to Mayweather. It’s a great opportunity. I feel I’m the better fighter. He’s training hard and I’m training hard. I will come out victorious on September 17th. (more…)
Mexico’s Michael Lozada will be stepping into the “lions den” when he comes to Australia to take on former two time WBO world champion Michael Katsidis on August 13th at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition centre. Lozada spoke for the first time today when he was asked questions on his upcoming fight with the HBO fight of the year winner. (more…)
On August 27, undefeated heavyweight Seth “Mayhem” Mitchell (22-0-1, 16 KOs) will fight at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California on the TV-opener for the clash between Marcos Maidana and Robert Guerrero title fight. Mitchell is scheduled to fight “Merciless” Mike Mollo (20-3-1, 12 KOs) in a ten-round bout. “This is an opportunity that doesn’t come around often,” said Mitchell. “I’m very focused and won’t let the spotlight overwhelm me. I’m having a great training camp and am definitely looking forward to fighting Mike Mollo. He comes to fight. I’m sure he’s looking forward to the fight and he’ll be ready. Again, I’m very excited and I am looking forward to putting on a good show for my fans on HBO. I plan on coming home with another victory.” (more…)
Light heavyweight slugger Edison “Pantera” Miranda (34-6, 29 KOs) has ripped Yordanis Despaigne (9-1, 4 KOs), who won their fight by disqualification last Friday night at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas. “I tapped Despaigne on the belt line and he fell down like he’d been shot. He’s not a fighter, he’s an actor and he was looking for a way out because he didn’t like the way the story was going to end,” said Miranda. “He got hit low a couple more times and cried on command and the fight was over. So for that performance, I am awarding him Best Actress in a Dramatic Role. He’s the new Million Dollar Baby.” Miranda says although Despaigne had some early success by “running around the ring”, by the time of referee Vic Drakulich’s disqualification, the tide had clearly turned. “He was out of gas. I let him punch me because it was like pillow fighting a girl. He knew he had to get out of there before the fight was half over because I was in amazing shape and coming on strong. If it had gone one or two more rounds, he was finished.”
In his biggest test to date Southern California’s Artemio ‘King’ Reyes (12-1, 10 KOs) will take on unbeaten Raul Carillo (8-0, 6 KOs) of Colorado. The bout will be fought at a contracted weight of 143 pounds and be for the WBC Fed Latino Welterweigt title. Site of the bout will be the Omega Products International, Corona, California. Reyes who trains out of the Capital Punishment Boxing Club in Riverside is riding an eleven-bout win streak.
For the past year, rugged Romanian welterweight Victor Lupo has unsuccessfully stalked undefeated WBC International welterweight beltholder Phil “The Italian Sensation” Lo Greco. His persistence will soon pay-off, though, as the WBC recently ordered promoters Hennessy Sports (Lupo) and OPI 2000 (Lo Greco) to negotiate an agreement or Lo Greco-Lupo will go to purse bid next month. (more…)
Mayweather Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions announced today that Erik Morales vs. Lucas Matthysse and Jessie Vargas vs. Josesito Lopez have been added to the September 17 PPV mega-event from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and STAPLES Center in Los Angeles. The night of boxing will kick-off with a super lightweight bout featuring undefeated rising star Vargas in his HBO Pay-Per-View debut against hard-hitting Lopez, followed by the first of the night’s three world title fights as Mexican boxing legend Morales will face power punching Argentine Matthysse for the WBC super lightweight world championship. The pay-per-view telecast will then go live to STAPLES Center in Los Angeles with Mexican boxing phenom Canelo Alvarez taking on Alfonso Gomez for the WBC super welterweight world championship, followed by the main event welterweight championship clash between Floyd Mayweather and Victor Ortiz, live from Las Vegas.
By Brian Grammer
Photo: Ed Mulholland
Fightnews had the opportunity today to speak with Jack Loew, trainer for former middleweight world champion and WBC #1 super middleweight contender Kelly Pavlik. Pavlik shocked the boing world by walking away from a SHOWTIME-televised contest this Saturday night with Daryl Cunningham. Midday on Tuesday, August 2, Pavlik informed Top Rank that he would not be participating in their upcoming show on Saturday, August 6th, leaving his fans, promoter, the arena where the bout was to be held, Covelli Centre, and a huge national TV audience hanging. Loew, who has been Pavlik’s trainer for his entire career, agreed to an interview with Fightnews to give his perspective on the matter. (more…)
For more info on the UFC or UFC 133, visit www.UFC.com
Undefeated light heavyweight Mike Lee (6-0, 4 KOs) will headline a fight card on September 16th at the Purcell Pavilion at the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana. The event takes place the night before the Fighting Irish football team takes the field against arch-rivals Michigan State is the first ever professional boxing event held at Notre Dame and Lee has pledged that all profits from the event will be donated to the Ara Parseghian Medical Research Foundation and the Robinson Community Learning Center in South Bend. The 24-year-old Lee graduated from Notre Dame in 2009, earning a finance degree from the Mendoza School of Business while finishing at the top of his class. While at Notre Dame, Lee was a three-time Bengal Bouts school boxing champion and also won the Chicago Golden Gloves in 2009.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
The finalists of the “Quien Pinta para la Corona?” tournament in Mexico will earn a purse of 500,000 pesos (about $42,000) for the Grand Final. The fourth of ten events will take place in Acapulco. Within the tournament and there are several outstanding prospects, among them: Jose ‘Piston’ Lopez, Romulo Koashisa and Mauricio Pintor. The award is presented with support Grupo Modelo, Grupo Comex, Promociones del Pueblo and the WBC will likely install the winners as contenders in their weight divisions. The “Quien Pinta para la Corona?” Tournament Grand Final is planned for November 26 in either Mexico City or Monterrey. There is also the possibility that WBA featherweight champion Jhonny Gonzalez will defend his belt that night.
The 2012 U.S. Olympic Boxing Trials continued on Tuesday with the unbeaten boxers in the champions bracket receiving a well deserved rest, while those saddled with a loss contested the second round of the double elimination challengers bracket . . . Click here for more
Two weeks after his successful defense against Hugo Hernan Garay in Munich, Germany, WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck (33-1, 24 KOs) married on Saturday in Serbia his fiancée Amina. In Tutin, near Novi Pazar, a registrar wedded the pair during a big ceremony with more than 1,000 guests. Manager Wilfried Sauerland with his wife Jochi and former IBF middleweight champion Arthur Abraham (32-3, 26 KOs) visited the party. The 26-year-old Huck is now on his honeymoon with his new wife. More photos
The reality of being a rising star in the UFC began to set in for Rory MacDonald in his native province of British Columbia a little over a year ago, as he prepped for his UFC 115 bout with Carlos Condit.
“It was like a mob and I really didn’t expect it,” he said of the fan reaction to him in Vancouver. But things really hit home when strangers began calling him by the nickname his gym buddies had given him years earlier – “The Waterboy.”. . . click here for more by Thomas Gerbasi, UFC.com
For more info the UFC or UFC 133, visit www.UFC.com
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.