firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Verdejo poised to win first pro title
- Malignaggi in Khan-Algieri co-feature
- The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 4 - Episode Three Preview
- Massive demand KOs Pacquiao conference call
- Garcia, Szpilka on Spike undercard
- Tony Luis returns June 26
- Klitschko set for USA ring return Saturday
- Pathompothong stops Butar Butar
- Lucas Browne sounds off
- Sadam Ali: I'm prepared
- Joshua opponent named
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
For the first time in the history of the Ultimate Fighting Championship®, a UFC® champion has refused to face an alternative challenger after an injury to his original opponent, forcing the organization to cancel an event. After challenger Dan Henderson suffered a torn medial collateral ligament in his right knee, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones refused an alternative opponent, forcing UFC president Dana White to cancel the entire UFC 151 card at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas next Saturday.
On a conference call today, White said Jones refused to fight two-time middleweight title challenger Chael Sonnen, whom he proposed as a replacement for Henderson for the September 1 event. “This is probably one of my all-time lows as being president of UFC,” White said. “Dan Henderson tried to train, he continued to work out and saw a doctor, but there was nothing we could do to save that fight. But Chael Sonnen stepped up accepted the fight with Jon Jones last night. As of 8pm last night, we thought we had a fight fans would love to see. Then at about 9pm the one thing I never thought would happen in a million years happened. Jon Jones said, “I won’t fight Chael Sonnen on eight days notice’. That has never happened in the history of the UFC, a guy who is a champion, and a guy who is supposed to be one of the best fighters in the world, pound-for-pound, refuses to fight.” (more…)
By Przemek Garczarczyk
Photo: Kasia & Sylwek Wosko
After long negotiations and a couple of contractual disputes, Wladimir Klitschko knows his next target – undefeated Polish heavyweight Mariusz Wach. “Undefeated Polish heavyweight Mariusz Wach (27-0, 15 KOs) of Global Boxing Promotions will face IBO/IBF/WBO/WBA heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (58-3, 51 KO) on November 10th 2012 in Hamburg, Germany,” said Mariusz Kolodziej, CEO of Global Boxing Promotions. “I’m pleased to inform that after weeks of negotiation we have finally reached an agreement and came to terms that will satisfy both sides. I’d like to thank the entire Klitschko team and K2 Promotions for the cooperation,” said the official statement released by Wach’s promoter. In his last fight, Klitschko easily defeated Tony Thompson while Wach knocked out Tye Fields – both fights ended in the sixth round.
By Ron Jackson
Ronnie van der Walt, who challenged Willie Ludick for the SA welterweight title in June 1963, has died in Jamaica. He was 77 years old. Van der Walt, who was born in Cape Town, is still regarded as a tragic victim of the SA race classification laws. A British journalist, John Pilger, told the story in his book Heroes, published by Jonathan Cape in 1986. In 1967, Van der Walt received a letter from the interior ministry, informing him that he had been classified as a “coloured” person in terms of the Population Registration Amendment Act. But Van der Walt had been a pupil at a “whites only” school and had always fought as a white. The same letter was sent to the Cape Boxing Control Board and because “mixed sport” was illegal in South Africa at the time, Van der Walt was withdrawn from a tournament to be held at the Green Point Stadium in Cape Town. (more…)
Before the featured fights on Friday night at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, California, there will be a five-fight undercard. The lineup includes the younger brother of Friday’s headliner Randy Caballero, 18-year-old junior featherweight Ryan Caballero, who will make his professional debut against Los Angeles’ Manuel Machorro (0-6-1) in a four round matchup. A boxer since the age of eight, Caballero is a former Junior Olympic and Ringside World champion. Also in action is junior middleweight Christopher Pearson (7-0, 4 KO’s) against Christian Nava (2-1-1) in a six rounder. Pearson is a decorated amateur boxer who won the 2011 United States National Championship and the 2009 PAL National title. (more…)
Story and photos by Bob Ryder
Tony Harrison and Calvin Odom talked with the press today in advance of their rematch at Detroit’s Joe Louis Arena on Saturday night. Harrison had to work hard in winning an unanimous eight round decision on July 27 over Odom but promises this time things will be different. “I underestimated him the first time, took his record for granted,” stated Detroit’s undefeated light middleweight Harrison. “I’m looking for a KO within the first four rounds. I’ve trained twice as hard for this one, he is tough but he can’t beat me.”
Odom flown in from Inglewood, CA was reserved in his comments although he did say he was here to win. In order to change the outcome in this rematch he felt he would need to be “more busier” and that it “should be a good show.” (more…)
Photos: Werber Kalin
Sam Soliman 159.1 vs. Giovanni Lorenzo 159.6
(IBF elimination middleweight bout)
Venue: Geelong Arena, Victoria, Australia
Promoter: David Stanley
World Kid Promotions, owned and operated by undefeated welterweight and 2008 U.S. Olympian Sadam “World Kid” Ali (15-0, 9 KOs), announced today that Ali will headline an Integrated Sports pay-per-view event on October 27 in Brooklyn at the Aviator Sports Complex. Ali will fight an opponent to be determined in the 10-round main event. The 10-round co-feature will showcase unbeaten WBA #11/WBC #13 cruiserweight Santander “Acucar” Silgado (22-0, 18 KOs).
The card will take place one week after the opening of the Barclays Center, which heralds the return of world championship boxing to Brooklyn after more than a 50-year hiatus.
Former two-time cruiserweight champion Steve “USS” Cunningham, 24-4, 12 KOs, will make his debut in the heavyweight division on September 8th against Jason Gavern, 21-10-4, 10 KOs. The 10-round fight is part of a big afternoon heavyweight triple header promoted by Main Events, at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. Former two-time world champion, Tomasz “Goral” Adamek, 46-2, 28 KOs, and Travis Walker, 39-7-1, 31 KOs, fight in the main event, a 12-rounder for Adamek’s IBF North American Heavyweight Title, and emerging heavyweight star Bryant Jennings, 14-0, 6 KOs, and Chris Koval, 25-9, 18 KOs, faceoff in the third featured heavyweight contest. All can be seen on WeathTV and WealthTV.com.
It will be a night of firsts for Cunningham who recently signed a promotional contract with Main Events. Cunningham makes his first start under his new agreement with the promoter, and will fight for the very first time at the new weight. (more…)
A press conference in Albuquerque held by Teresa Tapia revealed that the former five-time world champion died due to heart disease. An autopsy report released on Wednesday revealed the cause of death that had the New Mexico legend passing away approximately 6:30 p.m. on May 27 at the age of 45.
Though prescription drugs played a part, the cause of death has officially been ruled an accident due to heart disease complications. There were no illegal drugs in Tapia’s system. (more…)
Report and photo by Felipe Leon
Current WBC USNBC super bantamweight champion Oscar “Fantasma” Gonzalez (28-1, 25KOs) finds himself entrenched deep in the south Mexican mountains at the Otomi Ceremonial Center as he prepares for his U.S. debut set for September 15th in Las Vegas, Nevada, on the under card of the much anticipated Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Sergio Martinez middleweight championship fight at the Thomas and Mack Center. Gonzalez is scheduled for a featherweight eight rounder against the always-dangerous TBA. (more…)
The UFC featherweight division is known for its fast-paced, high-skilled bouts and the well-rounded skills of its participants, and now a high-profile, former 155-pound kingpin is heading to their ranks, immediately adding even more depth to the weight class .. Click more by Mike Straka, UFC.com
. . . .
Coming up next: UFC 151: Jones vs. Henderson is LIVE on Pay-Per-View Saturday, Sept. 1 from the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas at 7 pm PT/10 pm ET. For more info on UFC 151 or the UFC, visit www.UFC.com.
IBF/IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (58-3, 51 KOs) will next defend his belts against unbeaten Mariusz Wach (27-0, 15 KOs) on November 10 at the o2 World Arena in Hamburg, Germany. Wlad has already confirmed the bout, stating that the fight will be special because he’s never fought an opponent larger than himself. Klitschko stands 6’6 and Wach is 6’7 and change.
By David Finger
Photo of Fujimoto: Ulysses G. Sato
In a bout that promises to be one of the biggest heavyweight fights in Japanese history, WBC #15 ranked Chauncy Welliver (53-6-5, 20 KOs) travels to the Korakuen Hall in Tokyo to fight undefeated Japanese contender Kyotaro Fujimoto (4-0, 3 KOs) in a 10-round non-title fight on September 19th. The fight is already the most talked about heavyweight fight in Japan since Mike Tyson came to Tokyo to fight James Douglas back in 1990. Although Welliver has considerably more experience in the boxing ring than his 26-year old opponent, few see this as a mismatch. Fujimoro has already established himself as one of the most feared and respected MMA fighters in Japan, amassing over 30 fights in the sport. His professional boxing career has also started off in impressive fashion, with knockouts over veterans Clarence Tillman and Afa Tatupu in his last two fights as well as an impressive knockout over fellow prospect Jae-Chan Kim back in March of this year. Still, many wonder if he may be biting off more than he can chew so early in his career. (more…)
By Jose Leon Castillo
A press conference in Albuqerque held by Teresa Tapia revealed that the former five-time world champion died due to heart disease. An autopsy report released on Wednesday revealed the cause of death that had the New Mexico legend passing away on May 27. Though prescription drugs played a part, the cause of death has officially been ruled an accident due to heart disease complications. There were no illegal drugs in Tapia’s system.
Veteran mixed martial arts welterweight Jay Hieron was climbing into bed after a grueling day’s training when his cell phone started blowing up. It was his manager with the news Hieron had been waiting for since 2005: the Ultimate Fighting Championship® organization had offered him a fight. A big fight – on the huge UFC 151 card – against a man Hieron had already beaten, Jake Ellenberger. It was an opportunity to fight in the UFC® for the first time since October of 2005. (more…)
Photos: Miguel Cotto Promotions
The controversial super flyweight WBC FECARBOX champion, Miguel “El Loco” Robles (11-1-2, 5 KOs) is ready to face Juan “Cowi” Herrera (7-5, 3KOs) on Saturday, September 1 at the Roger Mendoza Coliseum. “We have prepared as if we were going to fight for the world title. We know that Cowi is a warrior and will come forward all the time. I know him very well and he is a dangerous fighter,” Miguel Robles said. “‘El Loco’ made it clear that on Saturday, September 1st, a war will occur in the ring. The Cowi and I have named our fight The War, because it will be! We will leave everything up there and I am ready and I will win.”
“It’s a very even fight, and will be very exciting for the fans. Saturday, September 1st in Caguas will be a great event for boxing fans,” said businessman and promoter Héctor Soto. (more…)
Big-time boxing returns to Brooklyn after more than a 50-year hiatus on Saturday, October 20, when Golden Boy Promotions presents the first boxing event at the new Barclays Center. Televised live on SHOWTIME, the night will feature a star-studded boxing card including two world championship fights and a host of New York’s top talents.
The main event will feature unbeaten Danny “Swift” Garcia defending his WBA/WBC super lightweight world championships against the man he defeated to win the WBC belt, legendary Mexican warrior and future Hall of Famer Erik “El Terrible” Morales. In the co-featured bout, Brooklyn’s own Paulie “Magic Man” Malignaggi risks his WBA welterweight world championship against hard-hitting Pablo Cesar “El Demoledor” Cano.
Tickets start at $50 and go on sale to the general public on Wednesday, August 29 at 10:00 a.m. ET and will be available at www.barclayscenter.com, www.ticketmaster.com, all Ticketmaster locations, or at 800-745-3000.
By Przemek Garczarczyk
Photos: Mike Gladysz/Team Adamek
“It’s almost the end of our training camp and the most important part of it for me and every fighter out there is that there are no injuries and we did everything what we want to in the camp. Everything else is media noise,” said Tomasz Adamek (46-2, 28 KOs) from his camp in Jersey City. On September 8 at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ, Adamek will fight for the IBF Intercontinental heavyweight belt against Travis “The Freight Train” Walker (39-7, 31 KOs) in a bout that can be seen on WealthTV and WealthTV.com.
“I know that Travis is predicting that he will knock me out, repeating this in every media interview. I was knocked out by Walker at least three times already, but surprisingly, I still feel pretty good,” joked Adamek when Fightnews.com spoke with the Polish heavyweight contender after another grueling training session. “I’m sure that Walker is convinced that he knows how to beat me, but lot of the fighters before him thought the same and nothing happened. I still won the fight. I will not tell you what I’ll do with Walker on September 8, because it will be easier just to show everybody the night of the fight. I understand that you have to feed stories to media, I see the point of it but in the end people are coming to see the fighter. They watch him on TV because they know that he delivers everything what he’s got. Not because he said something funny or provocative.” More photos…
Ardash Sahaghian, the originator of modern championship boxing belts, will be inducted this year into the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame. Sahaghian, 90, who designed the current WBA, WBO, IBF, and IBO title belts, began his career as craftsman of boxing belts in the 1970s. A jeweler by trade and artist by birth, he was invited by a Philip Valentino to apply his range of skills to the redesigning of championship boxing belts. At the time, Valentino was beginning to manufacture the existing 2D models of the belts. The fruits of Sahaghian’s labor are what we have come to recognize as today’s modern — 3D — boxing belts.
By Francisco Salazar
Photos: Big Joe Miranda
For those who have come across Alfredo Angulo in the past, there are few times that make the soft-spoken Mexican smile. It was not winning his first fifteen bouts in a row, some by brutal knockout. It was not winning a world title belt against Harry Joe Yorgey. Watching Angulo crack a smile was when he was able to pick up his six year old daughter Rebecca on Tuesday afternoon at a media luncheon. It was an openness of affection that he was unable to do for over seven months, yet was eager to do for so long. That was because Angulo was at the El Centro Detention Center, located over 200 miles to the east of San Diego. Despite not having a criminal record while living in the United States, Angulo, who grew up across the border in Mexicali, found himself detained there.
Last Tuesday, Angulo, through the petition of his attorneys, management, and his promoter, finally won his freedom from the detention center. Now that he has since been released, he is eager to move on with his boxing career, one that was abruptly put on hold since his six round war with James Kirkland in November. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.