firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Crawford: We are going to find out tonight
- Older, Wiser Lyoto Machida Pursues Another Title Shot
- Daniel Geale – Radio Interview
- Oquendo’s lawyer seeks contempt citation against Chagaev’s promoter
- Weights from Valley Forge, PA
- Weights from Redwood City
- Weights from Rochester, NY
- Weights from Pennsauken, NJ
- Gassiev stops Cora in nine
- Harrison stops Munguia; Aquino tops Kielczewski
- Hogan defeats Brunson, Barroso demolishes Terry
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
By Alexey “Oscar” Potapov
Looks like the retirement of former WBA heavyweight champion David Haye could be a short one. Managing Director of K2 Promotions Tom Loeffler confirmed that talks about a Vitali Klitschko-David Haye were in progress during the WBA Convention in Donetsk, Ukraine, and it was learned today that Haye has been given a three weeks to make a decision. The fight woud likely be held in February or March 2012 in Germany. Talks are also ongoing with other opponents, but Haye is the first choice of the Klitschko Team.
Super middleweight Rudy Markussen (36-2, 23 KOs) and middleweight Patrick Nielsen (11-0, 6 KOs) will be headlining on December 17 in Herning, Denmark. Details about the fights and the opponents will be revealed shortly. “We will put on an exciting show on December 17,” promoter Nisse Sauerland said. “It will be an early Christmas present for boxing fans.”
The WBC #8 Markussen comes off a spectacular first-round KO victory over Michael Recloux in September. “I am the hardest-hitting super-middleweight out there,” he claimed. “It´s no surprise that all three fights I have made since my comeback last year ended early. I am ready to return to the very top and I will give another taste of my power on December 17.”
Just 12 days before his showdown with Antonio Margarito in New York City, WBA super welterweight champion Miguel Cotto showed his form during a workout on Monday in Orlando, Florida.
By Anthony Springer Jr.
Looking past fighters is a quick way to find one’s self staring at the lights. For all intents and purposes, WBC junior middleweight champion Saul Alvarez would have every right to look past Saturday’s title defense against Kermit Cintron.
Let’s look at the facts: In 2009, Cintron notched a respectable 32-2-1 record. The two blemishes on his record came at the hands of Antonio Margarito. What a difference two years makes. Cintron is 1-2 sinse then. The lone win a lackluster performance against Antwone Smith. The most bizarre loss of all to Paul Williams. Cintron took a spill outside the ring and was carried out on a stretcher. The bout went to the judges and Williams was awarded the victor on points. (more…)
By Brett Bonetti
WBC World Cruiserweight Champion Krzysztof “Diablo” Wlodarczyk (45-2-1, 35 KOs) says being able to fight in Perth, Australia, has inspired him and he has no fear of Danny Green (31-4, 27 KOs) ahead of their world title fight on Wednesday November 30 at Challenge Stadium. Wlodarczyk, speaking through interpreter and manager Andrzej Wasilewski, says Green will be one of his last fights as a cruiserweight and he planning on moving up to the heavyweight division in the future.
Monty Meza-Clay 134 vs. Leon Bobo 130.5
Andres Taylor 199.5 vs. Gary Gomez 198.5
Eudy Bernardo 134.5 vs. Gabe Morris 141
Morgan Fitch 167 vs. Randy Campbell 165.5
Justin Johnson 138.5 vs. Richie Andrews 139
Bill Hutchinson 145.5 vs. Ronnie Fuentez 148
Bryan Acaba 134.5 vs. Barrington Douse
Venue: Stage AE, Pittsburgh, PA
Promoter: Roy Jones Jr. in association with TNT
By Bill Hillmann at the scale
Johnny Lewus 144 vs Allen Litzau 144
Mike “Hollywood” Jimenez vs 172 James Denson 175
Gerald Taylor 169.5 vs Bruce Rumbolz 170
Terry Martin 203.5 vs Thomas Boose 208
Erick Correa 282 vs Keon Graham 242
Venue: The Belvedere in Elk Grove Village
Promoter: Bobby Hitz
Report and photo by Bob Ryder
Don King and Vernon Paris’ long time adviser Carlos Llinas have announced that Detroit’s “Iceman” has signed a promotional deal with the DKP. In an exclusive phone call to fightnews.com, Paris wasted no time expressing his excitement with the arrangement and his desire to take on the best in the 140 pound division without further delay.
“I’m so excited I can barely talk” exclaimed Paris. “I am ready to take on anyone at 140 and soon 147 as well and Don is going to make it happen for me. There is no one in those divisions that I can’t beat.” Paris was calling out everyone at the top of those weight classes but seemed to have special interest in two of the champs, Amir Khan and Timothy Bradley. “Khan’s running from me, moving to 147″ challenged the undefeated Paris. “I have a personal shout out to Timothy Bradley as well. I will knock him out. We talked and were all friendly down at Kronk (when Bradley did some training at the gym in preparation for Devon Alexander) but this is business and I picked up some things I can use to beat either him or Alexander right now!” (more…)
By Karl Freitag
The New York State Athletic Commission meeting in New York City to determine Antonio Margarito’s licensing status, originally scheduled for 2PM, finally began at 4PM. The NYSAC commissioners immediately went into a private executive session for one hour and forty-five minutes, after which it was announced that Antonio Margarito WILL BE licensed to fight against Miguel Cotto on December 3 at Madison Square Garden.
Margarito was forced to break camp in Mexico to fly to New York City to be examined by NYSAC-appointed ophthalmologist Dr. Michael Goldstein, who determined that Margarito faced no undue risk, in agreement with Margarito’s doctors.
Unbeaten featherweight Gary Russell Jr (18-0, 10 KOs) will now face veteran Heriberto Ruiz (48-11-2, 30 KOs) in the 10-round chief undercard support bout of this Saturday’s card at U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati, Ohio. Russell Jr. was originally scheduled to face Dat Ngyuen who was forced to withdraw after suffering a knee injury last week during training camp. In the main event, Cincinnati’s own undefeated and number one rated WBO junior lightweight contender Adrien “The Problem” Broner (21-0, 17 KOs) fights for the vacant WBO Junior Lightweight World Championship against Argentina’s number six rated WBO junior lightweight contender Martin Rodriguez (34-2-1, 18 KOs).
NBC Sports Group announced today the formation of NBC Sports Network Fight Night, a boxing series featuring premier boxing talent. Fight Night will debut on Saturday, Jan. 21, 2012 on the NBC Sports Network (which will be renamed from VERSUS on Jan. 2, 2012), from Asylum Arena in Philadelphia, Pa. The Fight Night cards are being scheduled in cities that are served by a Comcast Sports Group regional network, and the regional networks will help promote the events and have the ability to re-air fights.
NBC Sports Group will work with Main Events and Hall-of-Fame matchmaker J Russell Peltz on a multi-promoter strategy for NBC Sports Network Fight Night designed to produce the best quality fights. It is a strategy in which any promoter can participate to get their boxers involved in these programs. (more…)
By Anthony Springer Jr.
After all the turkey and dressing, undefeated junior lightweight Adrien Broner hopes to have something else to be thankful for. In front of his home town crowd in Cincinnati, Ohio, Broner faces Vicente Martin Rodriguez for the vacant WBO Junior Lightweight title at the US Bank Arena. Rodriguez is relatively unknown, but Broner insists he’s not taking the Argentine pugilist lightly. “He didn’t just make up that record,” Broner said of the 34-2-1 mark of his opponent. “His record speaks for itself. He didn’t just get that record fighting anybody.”
With 21 victories under his belt, Broner is no slouch himself. Fans getting a first glimpse of the Ohio fighter during his last fight didn’t have long to make much of an assessment. In a scheduled ten round affair, Broner needed just 2:58 to knock out Jason Litzau. (more…)
By Przemek Garczarczyk
Photos: Kamil Krzaczyński
“I was pleasantly surprised, how ready Adamek was, how sharp and accurate his punches were. We sat down, discussed the Klitschko fight, what happened and what should happened. Adamek is not done. He wants to get better, learn new things, go to work. This is why I believe he will get another shot. He will fight for another world championship belt again,” stated Roger Bloodworth, trainer of top-5 heavyweight and former light heavyweight and cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek (44-2, 28 KOs), after their first mini-camp since the Polish fighter lost to Vitali Klitschko in a September WBC title fight in Wroclaw, Poland. (more…)
All Star Boxing, Inc, Promoter Tuto Zabala, Jr. and Telemundo Network will close 2011 of their successful series “Boxeo TELEMUNDO Ford” at the Kissimmee Civic Center on Friday, December 9.
In the main event former WBO World champion Alex “El Nene” Sanchez (31-7-1, 21 KO’s) of Ponce, Puerto Rico returns to the ring to face former WBC World Champion Eric Ortiz (32-12-3, 21 KO’s) of Mexico City, Mexico in a bout scheduled for 12 Rounds with the WBC Latin Flyweight Title at stake. “We are excited to close our 2011 schedule with a clash of two former world champions of Puerto Rico and Mexico which are always a classic, we had a very successful year and we will come back stronger in 2012 with another 12 shows,” said Zabala, Jr.
First bell at 8:30 PM, 6 mores fights round up the card. Telemundo Network available in HD will televise the main event at 11:35 PM EST live in the US and Televisa Deportes Network will televise at 11:00 PM CST in Mexico and Central America. Tickets are already on sale at Kissimmee Civic Center 201 E. Dakin Ave, Downtown Kissimmee, FL or by calling 407-935-1412.
By John Cannon
On November 18th of 2008, Edinburg’s Raul “El Tigre” Casarez met his current fiancée Melissa Castillo and knew from that moment she was the woman of his dreams. Fast forward to today and Casarez is achieving another dream. Casarez signed a three-year deal with Don Chargin Promotions and Marines Promotions on Friday at Buffalo Wings & Rings in Edinburg and said that he is surprised as to how ironic this date is.
“I will remember November 18th for the rest of my life,” said Casarez. “Not only am I signing with Julio and Don today, but three years ago I met Melissa and today just happens to be our anniversary. Today is definitely a great day.” (more…)
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., the 25-year-old son of a legend, is setting a course to super-stardom for himself after beating Peter Manfredo Jr into retirement during the first defense of his WBC middleweight title.
Chavez Jr [44-0-1, 31 KO] fought with meaning and focus for four and a half rounds, giving enough of a show to please his growing fan base, before dispensing Manfredo with a solid right hand to the head, followed by a flurry of undefended jabs in the fifth that caused referee Laurence Cole to save the tough 30-year-old from any permanent injury. Click here for more
If Robert Guerrero is as good in the ring against Floyd Mayweather as he is in making the case that he should be next, then the fight has potential.
Guerrero (29-1-1, 18 KOs), who had partially tore the rotator cuff in his left shoulder ten days before a August 27th showdown with WBA jr welterweight champion Marcos Maidana, is fast approaching full fitness and will be ready to fight as early as March . . . Click here for more
By Gabriel F. Cordero
The third defense of the WBC world featherweight champion Jhonny Gonzalez against challenger Roinet Caballero will be at the luxurious Banamex Center in Mexico City at an event organized by the Promociones del Pueblo, Grupo Modelo, Grupo Comex and broadcast by Televisa. In addition the event will have the participation of Alejandro Sanabria looking for the WBC silver world championship, and the return of Juan “Churrito” Hernandez.
Also at the Centro Banamex will be the final of the “Quien Pinta para la Corona?” tournament , which presented the following fights:
Welterweight: José “Pistón” López vs Jhonny “Vaquero” Navarrete
Lightweight: Mauricio Pintor vs Abdiel Ramírez
Featherweight: Cristopher Pérez vs Sergio Torres
Bantamweight: Edgar Monarrez vs Martin Casilla
Flyweight: Jorge Amador vs Martin Tecuapetla
By Francisco Salazar
Photos: Big Joe Miranda
It has happened many times before. A fighter brought in to face a young, undefeated fighter that is on a collision course for a big money fight. Or even a world title opportunity down the line. Most often, the unbeaten fighter is not only favored to win such a fight, but he is expected to do so in an impressive manner over the underdog fighter. Such was the case just 10 days ago, when then-unbeaten Luis Cruz fought against Juan Carlos Burgos on the undercard of the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez bout in Las Vegas. In the eyes of many members of the media, Cruz was supposed to defeat the hard-hitting Mexican. (more…)
Roberto Marroquin, one of best fighters from Dallas, will take on Puerto Rico Olympian Carlos Valcarcel in the Red River Rumble main event on Saturday, December 17 here at the WinStar World Casino in Thackerville, Oklahoma. Bob Arum, the Hall of Fame CEO of Top Rank, made the announcement today. “Robert is one of the best, most popular fighters in Texas today,” Arum said. “He has great skills and punches with power. Now he is going into a very challenging fight in the main event at the WinStar World Casino.” The Marroquin vs. Valcarcel main event will be on the Top Rank Live! boxing series which is broadcast on FSN, Arum added. (more…)
The lineup for the Dec. 3 “Championship Thunder” card promoted by Zeferino Entertainment at the Pan Am Center in Las Cruces, N.M. has been set. In the main, unbeaten heavyweight David “Nino” Rodriguez (35-0, 33 KOs) takes on journeyman Byron Polley (24-12-1, 11 KOs) of St. Joseph, Mo. for something called the “NABU” belt. Former contender Antonio Escalante (25-4, 16 KOs), also of El Paso, is up against Johnny Frazier in an eight-rounder. Frazier is known in New Mexico – last summer he nearly scored a KO over Archie Ray Marquez at Santa Ana. Despite the near-upset, he has lost five straight bouts while Escalante is one win into a comeback after back-to-back losses. (more…)
From his training camp in Orlando, Florida, WBA super welterweight champion Miguel Cotto talks about his upcoming December 3 grudge showdown with Antonio Margarito.
L.A. LIVE’s Club Nokia, Golden Boy Promotions and AEG’s “Fight Night Club” will close out its 2011 campaign on Thursday, December 1 with unbeaten welterweight Hugo Centeno Jr. (10-0, 6 KOs) in the main event bout against David Lopez (3-6-3). Also in action will be junior welterweight Luis Mora (1-0, 1 KO) and debuting welterweight Zachary “Kid Yamaka” Wohlman of Los Angeles, Montebello junior lightweight Santiago Guevara and debuting Florida middleweight Daquan Arnett.
By Pepe Rodriguez
Saul Alvarez works out during media day in Mexico City for his upcoming WBC super welterweight world championship fight against Kermit Cintron, next Saturday scheduled for “La Monumental Plaza de Toros Mexico.”
Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum updates Fightnews.com readers on Cotto-Margarito, plus next moves for Manny Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and much more…
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.