email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Charr defeats Grant in Moscow
- Iran "The Blade" Barkley hospitalized after suffering minor stroke, is currently in "fair" condition
- Weights from Monte Carlo
- Interview: Lucas "Big Daddy" Browne
- Gavronski ready for Ibarra
- UFC 179 Prelim Fantasy Preview
- Povetkin takes on Takam today in Moscow
- Weights from San Diego
- Boxing returns to historic Maple Leaf Gardens Saturday
- Boxing Buzz
- Olympian Dogboe making U.S. debut
Former WBC light welterweight champ and Kingston, NY native, Billy Costello has passed away. He was only 55. Costello, a Kingston resident and a former World Boxing Council junior welterweight champion, died on Wednesday morning at Benedictine Hospital at the age of 55. Costello had been fighting lung cancer since April 2010. “Billy took it like a champ, right from the beginning,” said friend and former trainer Lou Fusco. “He never gave up. He never complained.” As a professional, Costello won 40 of his 42 fights, with many of them coming in front of sell-out crowds at Kingston’s Midtown Neighborhood Center.
By Joe Koizumi
WBA super-bantam champ Akifumi Shimoda (23-2-1, 10 KOs), a Japanese southpaw speedster, departed for Atlantic City where he will defend his belt against unbeaten top contender Rico Ramos (19-0, 10 KOs) on July 9. Shimoda, making his initial defense, will at first stay in Las Vegas for his final conditioning before entering Atlantic City. The 26-year-old champ said, “I’m looking forward to displaying my best performance and impress the US crowd.” (more…)
Photos: Public Address/Stefan Hoyer
Wladimir Klitschko (58-3, 49 KOs) and David Haye (25-1, 23 KOs) held their open work out at the Mercedes Benz dealership in Hamburg-Süd today. Over 500 fans showed up to watch both fighters showing off their boxing skills in preparation for their heavyweight championship unification fight this Saturday, July 2. IBF, WBO, IBO and “Ring Magazine” Champion Klitschko and WBA Champion David Haye will face off at the Imtech Arena in Hamburg, Germany. (more…)
By Joe Koizumi
76-year-old well-reputed international judge Ken Morita has become the executive secretary of the Japan Boxing Commission (JBC), succeeding Tsuyoshi Yasukochi, 50, as the JBC announced on Monday. After an internal conflict inside the JBC for two months, the JBC executive committee finally decided to replace Yasukochi with Morita, his senior. There had been a move that Morita might establish the second national commission with almost all officials (referees and judges) and JBC staff, and the JPBA (Japan Professional Boxing Association; the union of all licensed club owners) declared its support to the second commission. It is, however, good for our stable administration of boxing fraternity to have the JBC as it was.
WBA Super Welterweight World Champion Austin Trout and his support team are relieved and yet admittedly still angry after receiving final word from WBA Executive Vice President Gilberto Mendoza, Jr. that the WBA has ratified Trout as champion and invalidates the result of a positive post-fight drug test taken in Mexico.
In early June, Trout successfully defended his title against David Lopez by unanimous decision only to be informed afterward that the results of a dubious drug test came back positive for marijuana. According to Team Trout and promoter Greg Cohen, proper procedures and protocol were not followed. The urine samples they took were not sealed and Trout wasn’t asked to sign any paperwork. Team Trout had two more urine samples properly tested at a facility approved by The New Mexico Boxing Commission and sent them to the WBA. Both samples came back clean. (more…)
By Francisco Salazar
The California Boxing Hall of Fame had their annual induction ceremony this past Saturday at the Sportsmen’s Lodge in Studio City. Founder and President of the California Boxing Hall of Fame Don Fraser emceed the event, recounting stories as inductees, along with family and friends ate a three-course meal.
Inductees in the boxer category were: former middleweight champion Gene Fullmer, long-time bantamweight contender Dwight Hawkins, light heavyweight contender Ray White, former world heavyweight champion Tony Tubbs, former WBO light welterweight champion Zackary Padilla, former light welterweight contender John Montes, Jr., brother Herman Montes, Ramon Tiscareno, boxer-turned-trainer Louie Burke, former WBA Light Welterweight champion Loreto Garza, former welterweight contender Ray Lovato, and Richard “Mr. KO” Savala. (more…)
For more info on UFC 132 or the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
It might pay to shop around if you’re interested in betting on Saturday’s heavyweight title unification clash between Wladimir Klitschko and David Haye in Hamburg, Germany.
Sportsbook.com lists Klitschko as a -265 betting favorite to defeat Haye, while Haye backers can get +205.
Bet365.com lists Klitschko has a -175 pick, while Haye betters get +150.
Intertops.com lists Klitschko as a -200 favorite, with Haye at +160.
Quote of the Day: “For Klitschko pressure is a poison. He doesn’t know this. When Haye is in the ring, he must be like a small vicious rat with good nerves. He has to build up pressure, because otherwise he gets kayoed.”
–Graciano Rocchigiani, Die Welt
By Scott Ploof
Paxton Promotions and Hartford, CT’s own, former USBA lightweight title holder, Israel “Pito” Cardona (36-10, 28 KOs) will take on former world title challenger, Elvin Ayala (23-5-1, 11 KOs) in a crossroads fight on Friday night, July 29th at the Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, CT. The “Heat Wave” fight card is promoted by Jimmy Burchfield’s Classic Entertainment and Sports. Ayala is (5-2) in his last seven fights since challenging Arthur Abraham back in March 2008, including three wins in a row, with his last being a stoppage of veteran George Armenta (13-7, 11 KOs). Cardona, who has not fought since August 2009, is coming off an almost two year layoff after losing a unanimous decision to Hector Camacho Jr. (53-4-1, 28 KOs). The “Heat Wave” fight card will be headlined by undefeated Polish heavyweight Mariusz Wach (24-0, 12 KOs) who is now fighting out of Bergen, N.J.
By Rey Colón -The Sport Press
Bob Arum, Miguel Cotto and Cotto’s legal counsel Gaby Peñagaricano met Tuesday night to finalize the last details in his contract to be signed sometime this week to formalize the rematch between Cotto and Antonio Margarito on December 3 in New York City’s Madison Square Garden. The WBA junior middleweight champion will earn between $5 and $7 million, not including his share of the pay per view. “The Tijuana Tornado” is in line for about $2 million. According to reports, Cotto and Arum, who had already sealed the deal with a handshake, discussed the remaining points left in the air and allegedly after reaching an agreement satisfactory to both sides, shook hands again and the deal will be inked in the coming days.
Report and Photos: Pepe Rodriguez/WBC
After getting into extraordinary condition, Tomoki “El Mexicanito” Kameda, has left Mexico to defend his WBC bantamweight world Youth title on July 8th at the Kyuden Gym in Fukuoka, Japan. Kameda (19-0, 12 KOs) will face the southpaw Filipino Pumar Singwancha (8-1-3, 2 KOs) in the main event. “El Mexicanito” Kameda trained very hard with the idea of increasing his strength to get hereinafter wins by knockout. “I feel very strong, ready to knock my challenger,” said the undefeated fighter who is trained in Mexico City by Ruben Lira.
The youngest of the Kameda brothers (19), will share undercard with his brother Daiki, former WBA flyweight world champion. Daiki Kameda (20-2, 12 KOs) will go into the ring to fight against Thailand’s Chatchai Monthon (12-7-1, 5 KOs), in the co-main bantamweight ten-rounder.
Undefeated 6’7 heavyweight contender Mariusz Wach (24-0, 12 KOs) will face his biggest test – literally – when he meets the 6’6, 270+ pound “The Clones Colossus” Kevin McBride (35-9-1, 29 KOs) on July 29 at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, CT. The ten-round heavyweight fight will be the co-featured bout on “Heat Wave”, which is presented by Jimmy Burchfield’s Classic Entertainment & Sports and Global Boxing. “I will be looking to make a statement in this fight that, not only am I here to make noise now but I’m here to take over the division. It’s not usual that a man I’m about to fight can stare at me in the eyes, but the more dangerous my opponent is, the more dangerous I become,” said Wach.
Photos: Rafael Soto/Zanfer Promotions
The local mall “Plaza Bicentenario” in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico hosted a promotional event for the upcoming world championship fight between Hernan “Tyson” Marquez of nearby Empalme, Sonora and Edrin Dapudong of the Philippines. Both fighters took pictures and signed autographs for hundreds of fans. Marquez will defend his WBA flyweight championship for the first time against Dapudong this Saturday at the multi-use-center in Hermosillo in the main event on a Top Rank Live show that will be televised by Fox Deportes in the United States.
Story by David L. Hudson
Photos by Emily Harney
When this 40-year-old junior middleweight entered the ring on June 17th with a record of only 27-12, many mistakenly pegged him as a mere stepping stone for undefeated prospect Fernando Guerrero on the Friday Night Fights main event. Boxing analyst Teddy Atlas listed numerous reasons at the start of the television broadcast why he would lose, including age and technical skills. Atlas pointed out that this older fighter had been stopped seven times in his career.
But, Grady Brewer had other ideas . . . Click here for more
By Gabriel F. Cordero
This week current WBA super lightweight interim world champion Marcos “El Chino” Maidana formally begin his training in Barrio Obrero’s Gym in Puerto Rico the for his next bout against Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero, the current IBF lightweight world champion on August 27 in Las Vegas. The team working on the island with Maidana includes Cruz Pensa Garcia (Physical trainer), Mara Rodriguez (assistant trainer), the Rudy Perez (trainer) and Sebastian Contursi (Legal Advisor). Maidana trains three times daily.
Hall of Fame Promoter Bob Arum, CEO of Top Rank, and five time world champion Miguel Cotto, CEO of Miguel Cotto Promotions, announced today on a beautiful setting at the luxurious Ritz Carlton Hotel and Casino, in Isla Verde, Puerto Rico, that they have reached an agreement to co-promote hot talent and world challenger Luis “El Artesano” Cruz (18-0; 14KO) from Las Piedras, Puerto Rico. Cruz had been an exclusive Miguel Cotto Promotions fighter since his first fight as a professional. In a conference room packed with media, partners Arum and Cotto shared their plans to jointly take Cruz to become a world champion and future superstar.
Arum commented: “Luis has a bright future; he has an incredible talent and a deep fan appeal. The biggest draw and most popular fighter on the Island after Miguel Cotto and Juan López.”
Miguel Cotto added: “My company developed Luis from rookie, to prospect, to world title challenger. This alliance and partnership with Bob and Top Rank is the next step – from challenger to champion, with the same tools that Top Rank developed my career to the highest levels of the sport. We make a great team, and together we will open all doors of success to Luis, for his glory and the glory of Puerto Rico.” (more…)
By Przemek Garczarczyk
Photos: Wojtek Kubik
How popular is Floyd Mayweather Junior in New York? Very popular – boxing fans were standing in the long lines to Manhattan Hudson Theater to see and take their own pictures of still undefeated Floyd Mayweather Junior (41-0, 25 KOs) announcing his September 17 Las Vegas fight against WBC titleholder Victor Ortiz (29-2, 22 KOs). They got this and more. “Of course I will fight Manny Pacquaio if this is what the fans want” – said Mayweather. If this is the end of war on words between two best fighters in the world and start of real fight, remains to be seen… more photos
Hamburg based Boxing Promoter Universum steps into the future with new business partners. On a press conference in the “Dima” Sports Center in Hamburg Dima’s director Waldemar Kluch was introduced as future member of the Universum directory. Kluch is the representative of a multi billion group of investors who will guarantee to Universum the financial scope to act as global player again. “We will introduce the group of investors and present our detailed concept in August. It was most important for us to keep Universum in Hamburg. All doors will be open again for us in the future. Our common goal is to have a world champion in each weight class,” Kluch said.
“Thanks to the investors, who dispose of good connections in the international TV market, Universum will be in the position to participate in submit purse bids for any fight worldwide, which we might be interested in” said Kohl. “We will contract new boxers and offer first class boxing matches.” For more details and photos click here…
By Gabriel F. Cordero
WBC featherweight world champion Jhonny Gonzalez (48-7, 42 KOs) will now defend against Tomás “El Norteño” Villa (23-7-4, 14 KOs) on July 9 at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City in a co-promotion of Promociones del Pueblo and Goossen Tutor Promotions. He was initially slated to face Roinet Caballero, but the Panamanian contender but some visa problems. The bout will be on the card featuring former world champion middleweight Paul Williams against Erislandy Lara, plus WBA super bantamweight champion Akifumi Shimoda’s defense against Rico Ramos, and heavyweight contender Chris Arreola against Friday Ahuna on HBO in the U.S., TV Tokyo in Japan, Space TV will air throughout Latin America and Televisa in Mexico.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Photo: Diario Uno
Reigning WBA featherweight world champion Jonathan Barros will try to retain his crown against former WBA super world champion Celestino “Pelenchin” Caballero on Saturday at the Polideportivo La Colonia in Junín, Mendoza, Argentina, organized by the local promoter Osvaldo Rivero.
“I want Barros to stand and fight like a man,” said Caballero. “I don’t want to run after him like a cat and the mouse. I’ll hit you as hard as I did Molitor. I am a fighter. I guarantee that right now. I know fighting and boxing, but I come here to give an excellent performance.”
Barros stated, “We had a great training camp and we are very confident. I have no fear of him. Gamboa is better than Caballero, why should I be afraid of Pelenchín?. I’ll go look for you and when I have the chance there will be no forgiveness. I will hit you hard!” Sources indicate that for several days Barros has been near the weight and had to reschedule some workouts.
British heavyweight prospect Tyson Fury believes Wladimir Klitschko has the mental strength to defeat David Haye and unify the heavyweight division when the pair lock horns in Hamburg, Germany, on Saturday. Klitschko appeared upset by the latest barrage of abuse fired off by Haye at a press conference on Tuesday, but Fury is backing his old sparring partner to come out on top this weekend.
In an interview with Betfair, Fury said “He’s got a strong mentality. He doesn’t let things get to him. Fighting is in the brain, you have to get your tactics right and be measured. We don’t know what will happen, and it does depend on which Klitschko turns up for the fight. If it’s the negative one, who wants to win on points, then he’ll win on points, but if he goes out and looks for the knockout then he’ll win by a knockout. Either way I can’t see it being anything but a win for Klitschko.”
The WBC is in the process of boxing gloves certification and starting 2012 the WBC will only approve those certified gloves to be used in WBC official bouts. This process is being performed by a laboratory under the quality control norms and procedures of ISO. Raw materials, cushioning, sticking, weight, water resistance, etc. are some of the tests that are being performed and several different performance tests are evaluated with specially designed equipment. The certification has no cost and it is intended to make sure that the boxing glove, which is the only equipment that boxing has, is always of the highest quality. The General Coordinator of this program is Bob Yalen, and as of June 2011, three brands have been officially certified, Winning (Japan), Rival (Canada) and Reyes (Mexico). The WBC expects all major brands participate in this process in the very near future.
Antonio Tarver’s next bout, against Danny Green, will be dedicated to Nick Charles, his former colleague at SHOWTIME Sports. Charles passed away on Saturday, June 25, after a long and inspirational fight against cancer. Charles was the first sports anchor for CNN in 1980. He co-hosted CNN Sports Tonight with Fred Hickman and later hosted his own program, Page One with Nick Charles, until leaving the network in 2001. Beginning in 2001, Charles hosted SHOWTIME’s ShoBox: The New Generation. “My upcoming fight against Danny Green on July 20th in Sydney, Australia will be dedicated to my good friend Nick Charles,” said Tarver. “He fought a courageous battle and my prayers go out to his family. Nick was a class act to everyone who knew him. His motto in life was to love what you are doing. He was a winner.”
By Gabriel F. Cordero
There may be a possibility that David Haye’s WBA world title will not be on the line when he faces IBF/WBO/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko on Saturday due to a dispute on the selection. The Haye camp has protested the appointment of referee Genaro Rodriguez and the Haye camp says the WBA has threatened not to sanction the fight. The basis for the Haye complaint is that Hernandez has refereed several of Klitschko’s previous fights. The Haye camp has suggested referee Luis Pabon, who has previously refereed a Haye fight. The Klitschko camp says they believe WBA will sanction the bout with Hernandez as referee.
Life isn’t easy for a fighter at 155 pounds. Take Shane Roller for example. Not only do his opponents have to worry about the wrestling of the three-time Oklahoma State University All-American and an ever-developing submission game that has ended six of his 10 mixed martial arts victories, but in March he showed off some dynamite in his right hand when he starched Thiago Tavares in the second round of their bout. . . . Click here for more by Thomas Gerbasi, UFC.com
For more info on UFC 132 or the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.