email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Camera Clicks
- Rhodes, Omotoso, Estrada victorious at Sportsman's Lodge
- Weights from Ontario, Ca
- Weights from Tulsa
- Lane: Chris will dominate Pacquiao / Roach: Manny wants a knockout
- Weights from Quebec
- Jennings waiting for Stiverne-Wilder winner
- Cleverly-Bellew heats up at press conference
- Middleweight champion Jermain Taylor to face trial for shooting incident
- Pacquiao an 8:1 favorite over Algieri
- New foe for Culcay’s first European title defense
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
Photos: Peter Amador/Top Rank
Television camera crews and reporters packed the Verdanza Hotel on Wednesday for the final press conference for Salido-Lopez II – the rematch of one of last year’s most shocking upsets – just three days before WBO featherweight champion Orlando “Siri” Salido (37-11-2, 25 KOs) defends his title against the man he dethroned, former world champ Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez (31-1, 28 KOs) on Saturday at the Roberto Clemente Coliseum in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
In the co-feature, undefeated #1 featherweight contender Mikey Garcia (27-0, 23 KOs) will face former featherweight title challenger Bernabe Concepcion (31-4-1, 17 KOs) in a 10-round featherweight bout. Both bouts can be seen on Showtime. (more…)
In the early 1970s, professional boxing in Woodland Hills, California was a regular occurrence when legendary Hall of Fame Promoter “Dandy” Don Fraser hosted a weekly show at the historic Valley Music Theater on Ventura Boulevard. On March 31, the spirit of the 70s will be welcomed back as Art of Boxing and Bash Boxing return to the Warner Center Marriott with the latest installment of the only regular pro boxing show in the San Fernando Valley. Started in 2007 by former NABO Super Flyweight Champion Kahren Harutyunyan, who later associated with boxing attorney and manager, Steve Bash, the “War at Woodland Hills” boxing series is now in its sixth year. The March 31 show will have a special 70s theme and fight fans are encouraged to bring their favorite bell bottoms and disco shoes.
Highlighting “Saturday Boxing Fever” will be the returns of Boxing360’s former National Amateur Champion and current undefeated pro Donyil Livingston, new local boxing phenomenon Zachary “Kid Yamaka” Wohlman, undefeated prospects from the famed Robert Garcia Boxing Academy in Oxnard, Herbert Acevedo and Erik Ruiz, and highly regarded female boxer Celine Roman. (more…)
IBF middleweight champion Daniel Geale (27-1, 15 KOs) says he’s ready to invade the U.S. market after his win over Osumanu Adama on Wednesday night at the Derwent Entertainment Centre in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. “A move to the U.S. could be next for me,” said Geale. “My promoter Gary Shaw is eager to get me some big fights with all the champions at middleweight. I have confidence in my ability to unify the titles and become the best middleweight in the world. I feel great right now and I’m extremely happy knowing big opportunities await me. My career is headed in the right direction and I’m looking forward to my next fight, whoever it may be. A fight with Jermain Taylor is also intriguing being that we were both Olympians in the 2000 Sydney Games. I’m ready to fight the best out there, including Sergio Martinez.”
“Sky is the limit for Daniel,” said promoter Gary Shaw. “Right now the goal is to bring Geale to the U.S. for a big fight on network television. He’s earned the right to fight any of the current champions at middleweight. Daniel is a fantastic fighter and I see him becoming the undisputed champion at 160. When I get back to the states, I will put everything in motion.”
Video: Joel A. Colón
The final press conference took place today for the hotly anticipated world featherweight title rematch between champion Orlando Salido and Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez, which takes place Saturday at the Roberto Clemente Coliseum in San Juan, PR. Mikey Garcia meets Bernabe Concepcion in the Showtime opener.
By Gary “Digital” Williams
The Keystone Boxing card slated for Saturday, March 10 at the Washington Convention Center in DC is just about together and there are eight bouts slated for the card. Undefeated DC welterweight “The Beltway Boricua” Dusty Harrison is one of the headliners on the card. The 17-year-old will face veteran Booker T. Mullins of Spartanburg, SC in a four-round contest. Harrison (3-0, one KO) fought his last bout at the Convention Center and scored his first pro knockout when he stopped Terrell Davis in the first round. Mullins (3-10, two KO’s) last fought in 2010 when he was knocked out in the first round by Perry Ballard in November 2010 in Fairfax, VA.
The co-feature bout marks the return of DC lightweight Ty Barnett, who has not fought in the Beltway region since he fought two bouts in Salisbury, MD in 2010. This will also be just the third time in Barnett’s pro career that he has battled in DC and his first since 2007. Barnett (18-2-1, 12 KO’s) has lost two of his last four–both by knockout. This includes his last bout — a third-round KO by undefeated Andrey Klimov on May 14 in Carson, CA. (more…)
By Francisco Salazar
In an attractive lightweight bout, Kevin Hoskins will take on Juan Suazo at the Theatre Center in downtown Los Angeles this Thursday night. Hoskins (5-0, 4 KOs) from Moreno Valley, CA stopped Angel Torres in his last bout in January. He will be facing a fighter with a winning record for the first time in his career in Suazo, who lost a close eight round majority decision to Juan Garcia in his last bout last month. Suazo (8-6-3, 5 KOs) of Tucson, AZ was stopped by unbeaten Karl Dargan in his previous fight in August, but was coming off a win over Ramon Montano and a June draw with upstart Gabriel Tolmajyan. (more…)
Jimmy Burchfield’s Classic Entertainment & Sports will promote three fight cards within a span of nine days this month between March 22nd and 30th. It starts March 22 with the official launch of its 2012 Thursday Night Fight Series at the Twin River Event Center in Lincoln, RI. March 24 is a heavyweight event at the Resorts Hotel & Casino in Atlantic City, NJ. Then March 30 is an ESPN show at the Foxwoods Resort in Ledyard, CT. “Anyone who thinks boxing is dead should take a look at what we’re doing this month,” Burchfield said. “This sport is alive and well thanks to the loyal fans who pack arenas on a weekly basis, and our tripleheader this month will be no exception.”
The March 22 card features super middleweight Vladine Biosse (11-1-1, 6 KOs) and welterweight Jason “School Boy” Pires (22-4-1, 9 KOs) in separate bouts.
On March 24, undefeated WBC #6 heavyweight Mariusz Wach (26-0, 14 KOs) takes on Tye Fields (49-4, 44 KOs) in a PPV clash. Also formerly world-rated light heavyweight Joey Spina (26-1-2, 18 KOs) will return to the ring for the first time in a year in a half to face former “Contender” participant Jerson Ravelo (20-5, 12 KOs).
March 30, is the grudge match between “Hammerin'” Hank Lundy (21-1-1, 11 KOs) and “Dangerous” Dannie Williams (21-1, 17 KOs), plus middleweight Elvin Ayala (24-5-1, 11 KOs) against Hector Camacho Jr. (53-4-1, 28 KOs).
Welterweights Artemio ‘The King’ Reyes (15-1, 12 KOs) of Riverside, California will take on Alan Sanchez (9-2-1, 3 KOs) of Fairfield, California in an intriguing rematch of their all action affair back in June of 2010. The bout will be scheduled for 10 rounds with a 147 pound max weight limit. The date of the fight is April 13th. Site will be Las Vegas/venue to be named. Many on hand for their first fight described it as a thriller which ended with Reyes winning a tight decision in a battle between the two giants as both are listed at a towering 6’1, which is quite tall for this division. Both have gone unbeaten since their first fight with Reyes winning nine straight including a major upset of then unbeaten Olympian Javier Molina in October 2011. Sanchez has gone unbeaten in five bouts since fighting Reyes. The rematch will be the television co-feature opener on ESPN2’s Friday Night Fights series where former world champion Michael Katsidis will be featured in the main event.
By Wolfgang Schiffbauer
Their April 13 fight is billed as “Bad Blood” and bad blood it was when WBA Super World Middleweight Champion Felix Sturm, 33, and former WBC World Middleweight Champion Sebastian Zbik, 29, came face-to-face for the first time at today’s press conference at the Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany, the venue of their fight. After the usual introductions, Zbik (30-1, 10 KOs) took the stage: “I’m glad to be here. It was about time that Felix grew some balls and took this challenge. I’m a real fighter and come April 13, I’ll win the championship.”
Sturm (36-2-2, 16 KOs) responded quickly: “Well, I’m happy that you finally grew some balls.” He then looked at Zbik and continued: “Tell me again how you became a world champion? You won the interim title, right? Which is nothing more than a Mickey Mouse title. And whom did you beat to become the full champ? No one, right. They awarded you the title. And well, you lost it again in your very first defense. So why do you disrespect me and my former opponents?” (more…)
WBO president Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel, announced today the referee and judges who will work on the world title bout between WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns and Paulus Moses this Saturday, March 10, at the Braehead Arena in Glasgow, Scotland. The referee will be Mark Nelson, from the United States. The judges are John Stewart, from the United States, Jose I. Martinez, from Spain, and Phil Edwards, from the United Kingdom. WBO supervisor for this fight will be Dennis Gilmartin.
The live webcast on WBCBOXING.TV, that was scheduled to show Daniel Geale vs. Osumanu Adama for free, was being shown around the world against the agreement of Gary Shaw Productions, forcing the stream to be cut off in the U.S. and on the WBCBOXING.TV website.
Gary Shaw states, “The WBC has violated the agreement that was set in place to show the stream live in the U.S .for free. Because the WBC opened up the feed to the World, GSP had to kill the signal. The WBC website was only given permission to stream the feed in the U.S. and opening of the signal to the World created problems. On behalf of GSP, we apologize for the confusion.”
A verbal agreement has been made for interim WBA cruiserweight champion Denis Lebedev (23-1, 17 KOs) of Russia to defend against Barbados native Shawn ‘The Sniper’ Cox (16-1, 15 KOs). The bout between the two southpaws will take place April 4th at the Crocus City Hall in Myakinino, Russia. Lebedev is coming off of his 12 round unanimous decision over former multi-divisonal world champion James Toney this past November. Cox will enter the bout fresh off of his first round destuction of former world champion Wayne Braithwaite less than two weeks ago in Braithwaite’s native Guyana.
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Photos: Louie Abigail
IBF middleweight champion Daniel Geale (27-1, 15 KOs) scored a twelve round unanimous decision over Osumanu Adama (20-3, 15 KOs) on Wednesday night at the Derwent Entertainment Centre in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. Geale outworked Adama to win by scores of 117-111, 115-113, 118-110.
IBF featherweight champion Billy Dib (34-1, 21 KOs) retained his title with a seventh round TKO over Eduardo Escobedo (32-4, 23 KOs). Dib’s aggressive body attack broke down Escobedo who didn’t come out for round seven.
In an upset, heavyweight Travis Walker (39-7-1, 31 KOs) scored a TKO in the sixth round against Kali Meehan (38-5, 31 KOs) in a clash for the IBF Pan Pacific title. Meehan’s corner threw in the towel after Walker hurt and pummeled him. more photos
By Miguel Maravilla
Photos: Big Joe Miranda
Unbeaten former world champion Brandon “Bam Bam” Rios (29-0-1, 22 KOs) was in attendance Tuesday afternoon at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles for his WBA lightweight title showdown April 14 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. However, the mystery remained as to why Yuriorkis Gamboa (21-0, 16 KOs) was not present at Monday’s kickoff press conference in Miami or on Tuesday at the Los Angeles press conference. Many have began to wonder about the status for April 14. Rumors are swirling around that Gamboa has been training in Las Vegas and gotten tight with Mayweather Promotions.
“We are both obligated for this fight,” Top Rank President Todd duBoef told Fightnews.com. “The burden is on him (Gamboa). He made the commitment. He agreed to terms.” (more…)
Last Thursday Oscar de la Hoya tweeted that on Tuesday he would have a major announcement “that will shake the boxing industry in a major way.” So far today, this seems to be it.
Photos: Jose Perez / PR Best
WBO Featherweight Champion Orlando Salido (37-11-2, 25 KOs) trained today at the al gimnasio del Residencial Luis Llóréns Torres in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Salido will defend against former world champion Juan Manuel “Juanma” López this Saturday at the el coliseo Roberto Clemente de San Juan, Puerto Rico. The bout will be a rematch from last year where Salido stopped Lopez in a shocker in Puerto Rico. Top Rank will promote the event in association with PR Best Boxing Promotions (PRBBP), Promociones Zanfer and the Municipio de San Juan. Showtime and Showtime Extreme will televise the event. more photos
By Bill Hillmann
USBA champion Osumanu Adama (20-2, 15KOs) is the most highly-rated unknown middleweight in the world. Since Adama’s exciting UD loss to Donovan George (22-1-1, 19KOs) in 2010 on Showbox, the Ghanaian has gone on a run of terror. He signed with his manager Wasfi Tolaymat and Cynthia Tolaymat’s CFC Promotions. “I could see that he was a warrior, if can he fight this good against George,” Wasfi told Fightnews. “And he was very nice when we met him. I think maybe we can help this guy. Maybe we can help him be champion!”
Adama also began to train with former Ghanaian cruiserweight journeymen Joseph Owinongya. Owinongya trains at a garage gym in Joliet, Illinois. He decided to test Adama’s commitment to being a champion and drove him twenty miles to Bolingbrook. Owinongya dropped him off and told Adama, “Run back to the gym”. Adama did as he was told. Then they began to train. “I do it to break him down, but now after running that far he is still strong,” Owinongya said. Owinongya had some other ideas; he makes Adama push his mid-size van around a parking lot for half-hour stints. (more…)
With his opponent all but guaranteeing a victory, vocal lightweight champion “Hammerin’” Hank Lundy has issued a reply in hopes of ending the banter between he and Dannie Williams before the two settle their feud in the ring later this month. “This kid is a joke,” Lundy said in response to Williams’ promise that he’ll be “fighting for a knockout” March 30th when the two face one another for Lundy’s NABF on ESPN2’s “Friday Night Fights” from the Foxwoods Resort Casino’s MGM Grand Theater in Mashantucket, Conn. “You can’t scare me. You can’t derail me, because I fight for a living. I’m going to hurt this boy. There’s an old saying that goes, ‘Your arms are too short to box with God.’ I’m not God, but in the ring I’m the closest thing to it.”
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Mexican three-division world champion Juan Manuel Marquez has confirmed to Fightnews.com that his next fight on April 14th against undefeated southpaw Argentinian Cesar Rene Cuenca (42-0, 1 KO) will be at the “New Mexico City Arena” in Mexico City for the WBO super lightweight world title. There is a possibility it could be for regular crown with Bradley fighting for the WBO welterweight title against Manny Pacquiao on June 9 in Las Vegas, but for now it’s assured that Marquez-Cuenca is for the WBO interim super lightweight world title.
The World Boxing Council has called for a hearing with boxing agent Hugo Correa, for him to explain the deal he made with Filipino promoter ALA Promotions. According to ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer, Correa was to deliver Mexican Genaro “Poblanito” Garcia as the opponent against Rey “Boom Boom” Bautista. However the fighter who arrived to fight Bautista was another boxer named Genaro Gutierrez Garcia. The WBC has vowed that this situation “will be investigated till last consequences.”
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.