firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Tyson Fury has pulled out of his October 29 rematch against former champ Wladimir Klitschko due to Fury being ...
By Karl Freitag Photos: Sumio Yamada Three-division world champion and WBC champion in recess Jorge Linares (41-3, 27 KOs) won an entertaining twelve round ...
Photos: Tom Casino / Showtime Light heavyweight Radivoje “Hot Rod” Kalajdzic (22-1, 15 KOs) scored an impressive fifth round KO over previously undefeated ...
- WBO middleweight champ Billy Joe Saunders returns on Oct 22
- Photo of the Day
- Top Rank names Pac-Vargas broadcast team
- The 12th Round: Boxing belongs to the fighters and to the fans
- Juanma: I am a better fighter than ever before
- Sparse TV schedule for October
- Geale confident of winning IBO 168 crown
- Wilson outpoints Ancona
- Boxeo Telemundo Starts Fall Season Friday
- Japan update
- Late surge propelled Linares scorecard comeback
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
By Przemek Garczarczyk
Photo: Piotr Duszczyk/ringpolska.pl
“Last Saturday in Wroclaw, Vitali was untouchable for anyone. That night, after Vitali’s second round rocket punch, it was basically over,” said heavyweight title challenger Tomasz Adamek (44-2, 28 KOs) in his first interview after losing by TKO in the tenth round against WBC titleholder Vitali Klitschko (43-2, 40 KO) before 43,000 fight fans in Wroclaw, Poland. (more…)
WBO super featherweight champion Ricky Burns is about to announce he will vacate his belt and move to lightweight according to manager Alex Morrison. Burns is said to have a November 12 date lined up against Michael Katsidis for the interim WBO lightweight title at Kelvin Hall in Glasgow, Scotland.
Michael Torres 140 vs. Mark Alexander 140
(NJ State jr. welterweight title)
Thomas LaManna 156 vs. Josh Williams 156 ½ lbs
(BAM Youth Title)
Carlos Vinan 129 vs. Wanzell Ellison 129 ½
Joey Dawejko 234 vs. John Lennox 217
Tyabb Beale 233 vs. Taffo Asongwed 234 ½
Vinny O’Brien 146 vs. Carlos Velez 147
Jon Bolden 218 vs. Eric Newell 250
John Thompson 158 vs. Lee Snow 165
Venue: Robert Treat Hotel
Promoter: Vincent Ponte’s Gulfstream Boxing & Gabe LaConte
1st Bell: 7:30 pm EST.
By Joe Koizumi
WBA#5 Japanese minimum champ Akira Yaegashi (14-2, 7 KOs) will have an ambitious crack at the WBA 105-pound throne against newly-crowned Thailander Pornsawan Porpramook (23-3-1, 16 KOs) in Tokyo, Japan, on October 24. The Thai veteran captured the belt by defeating Mohammad Rachman on points in Jakarta, Indonesia, this July. For more details and photos click here…
By Felipe Leon
As it as reported earlier, former jr. flyweight world champion Giovani Segura has pulled out of the Thursday, September 15th Zanfer Promotions’ fight card in Rosarito, Mexico. Segura suffered an injury to his left wrist while hitting the mitts earlier Tuesday afternoon.
Segura (28-1, 24KOs) was slated to face Colombian Luis Carlos Leon (13-4, 11KOs) in a scheduled ten round flyweight tilt. The fight card is set to commemorate Mexico’s Independence Day celebrated the next day, September 16th.
“I am very sad and frustrated that I will not be able to perform in front of my people on such an important date,” Segura. “I have been training for the fight for five weeks.” (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Referee Joe Cortez will be the third man in the ring when boxing superstar Floyd Mayweather and WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz collide Saturday at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Cortez, as well as judges Adelaide Byrd, Glenn Trowbridge and Jerry Roth all hail from Nevada.
By Miguel Maravilla
Photos: Big Joe Miranda
Only five days remain until Saturday night’s split site “Star Power” pay per view which will feature Floyd “Money” Mayweather vs. “Vicious” Victor Ortiz from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. That same night from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (37-0-1, 27KOs) will take on Alfonso Gomez (23-4-2, 12KOs) in the Star Power Los Angeles main event.
The final press conference for Star Power Los Angeles took place Tuesday at ESPN Zone at LA Live in Downtown Los Angeles. Opening the press conference was the Golden Boy, Oscar De la Hoya as he made the introductions for Saturday’s card at Staples Center. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Mexican bantamweight prospect Felipe Orucuta (21-1, 17 KOs) will replace the injured former world champion Giovanni Segura on September 15 “At the “Ernesto Ruffo” Gym in Rosarito, Baja California. Orucuta will take on Deivis Pérez in a ten round co-feature. Moving up to main event status is former WBO flyweight champion Julio Cesar “Pingo” Miranda (35-6, 28 KOs) against Devis Perez (14-4-2, 8 KOs) in super flyweight ten rounder. Admission is free.
By Felipe Leon
According to the Zanfer Promotions’ twitter account, former jr. flyweight champ Giovani Segura (28-1, 24KOs) injured his left wrist and is out of the planned Thursday, September 15th fight card in Rosarito, Mexico. A new main event will be made and presented by either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Photos by Chris Cozzone
Slideshow: All the shots from today’s “Star Power” grand arrivals at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, featuring Floyd Mayweather, Victor Ortiz, Jessie Vargas, Erik Morales and Pablo Cesar Cano . . . Click here to view
The Global Boxing Series, which was slated to mark the return of club show boxing to North Jersey, has been suspended due to a zoning issue with the town of North Bergen, NJ. The series was to take place at the Global Boxing Arena, which would be configured to fit a maximum of 500 people. The upcoming show on September 24 has been canceled, and all tickets can be returned for a full refund at Global Boxing Gym.
“We are very sorry that we have to cancel the show on such short notice, but we hope to resolve this issue with the town so we can bring high quality boxing entertainment to the fans in Hudson County,” said Global Boxing CEO Mariusz Kolodziej.
The ring officials for Alvarez vs. Gomez appointed by the WBC with mutual agreement with the boxing authorities of California are referee Wayne Hedgepath (California), Judges Alejandro Rochin (Mexico), Ray Corona (California) and Samuel Conde (Puerto Rico). WBC supervisor is Mike George (Rhode Island).
Floyd “Money” Mayweather and Victor Ortiz made their grand arrivals today at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas for their “Star Power” showdown Saturday night on PPV. Stay tuned for a full photo gallery.
By Ron Jackson
South Africa’s Gideon Buthelezi (12-2, 4 KOs) faces the toughest challenge of his career when he meets Mexican Adrian Hernandez for the WBC light flyweight belt on September 24 at Foro Polanco in Mexico City. Hernandez (21-1-1, 13 KOs) will be making the first defence of his belt that he won in April this year when he stopped Gilberto Keb Baas in the eleventh round. (more…)
British super flyweight champion Lee Haskins tops the bill for Prizefighter Super Flyweights at Liverpool Olympia on October 12. Five other fighters have been named so far including English bantamweight titlist Craig Lyon, English flyweight beltholder Ashley Sexton, Mike Robinson, Ryan Farrag and Nathan Reeve. The boxers taking the final two spots will be announced soon.
By Felipe Leon
It was just announced that Tijuana’s Zanfer Promotions returns to Baja California this Thursday, September 15th, to commemorate Mexico’s Independence Day. Former world champions Giovani Segura and Julio Cesar “Pingo” Miranda top off the bill in Rosarito, Baja California, versus separate opponents. (more…)
It’s been sixteen long months since Floyd Mayweather, Jr. has stepped into the ring. The last time we saw the five-division champion in action resulted in a one-sided drubbing of “Sugar” Shane Mosley where Mayweather was criticized for facing a fighter well past his prime. Those complaints should grind to a halt when “Money” faces a fighter a decade his junior when he faces “Vicious” Victor Ortiz at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas on September 17th. Considering the age difference, Mayweather is confident that his experience and overall skill will be the difference maker on Saturday night. That little concept called ring rust is the furthest thing from his mind. (more…)
Last December, prior to The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale, Jonathan Brookins mentioned he was preparing mentally and physically for both his opponent, Michael Johnson, as well as a long growing process in the UFC. Brookins was speaking about the journey of his own evolution as a professional fighter, one that wouldn’t peak at the finale, but that would be a nationally televised starting point for things to come. Some journeys are best mapped by clarifying the goal, then working backwards, and Brookins believes he has done just that . . . Click here for more by Jordan Newmark, UFC.com
. . . .
For more info on the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
Los Angeles Final Press Conference
(Canelo Alvarez vs. Alfonso Gomez)
1:00PM at the ESPN Zone at L.A. LIVE]
Las Vegas Fighter Grand Arrivals
Location: MGM Grand Hotel Lobby
1:00PM: Jessie Vargas
1:10PM: Erik Morales
1:25PM: Victor Ortiz
2:00PM: Floyd Mayweather
Report and photos by Brett Bonetti
Three Time World Champion Danny “The Green Machine” Green (31-4, 27 KO’s) held a press conference today in Perth Australia to announce he will challenge Poland’s Krzysztof Wlodarczyk (45-2-1, 35 KO’s) on Wednesday November 30 at Challenge Stadium in Perth for the WBC World Cruiserweight Title.
The rematch between Green and Antonio “Magic Man” Tarver has been put on hold because negotiations between both camps kept breaking down. (more…)
Former three time world champion and Brooklyn, New York based Joan Guzman (30-0-1, 17 KOs) of the Dominican Republic is set to fight on October 15th, in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic against Mexican southpaw, Armando Robles (17-1, 9 KOs). The match was originally scheduled for October 1st but was pushed back 2 weeks due to local television comittments. The bout will be promoted by the Caribbean Casino and Gaming Corp., alongside with Guzman’s own promotional company, JG Promotions. (more…)
By Francisco Salazar and Miguel Maravilla
Photos by Francisco Salazar
While the recent war of words between Floyd Mayweather and Victor Ortiz bringing entertainment to fight fans and the media alike, the two fighters held an impromptu verbal sparring session late Monday afternoon. A photo opportunity featuring all fighters on the “Star Power” pay per view telecast turned into a raucous event in front of a few hundred fight fans in attendance at the Universal Citywalk in Universal City. (more…)
Fightnews caught up with recent IBF Super Featherweight world title challenger Argenis Mendez after what his camp and some in the media feel was a very controversial loss this past weekend in Guadalajara, Mexico against Juan Salgado for the vacant IBF championship. (more…)
Ricky Hatton has taken over from his father Ray as head of the Hatton group. The former world light-welterweight and welterweight champion insists he can take the organisation from strength to strength after his dad’s decade at the helm. Ricky, 32, who will oversee a mushrooming empire which includes a clothing brand, a private members gym and a TV network had also applied for his seconds and trainers licences. The flagship company is his boxing outfit, Hatton Promotions which was recently named European Promoter of the Year and produced dozens of major champions in little more than two years. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Photos: Rafael Soto/Zanfer
Reigning WBA flyweight world champion Hernan “Tyson” Marquez and former WBA champion Luis “Nica” Concepcion faced off in a Monday press conference to announced their rematch to be held on October 29th at the Multipurpose Center in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico.
Concepcion: “I made mistakes in the first fight with Marquez, but now I’ll have a surprise in the ring and and take what belongs to me. I’ll take that belt back to Panama, take it to the Panamanian people with whom I am in debt and that debt is what motivates me to come to Mexico and pay back Tyson,” said Concepcion.
Marquez: “It was my dream to achieve this and I’ll not let anyone or anything take it away from me, much less Concepcion, and much less my own hometown. It motivates me that ‘Nica’ is coming to Hermosillo to fight and I promise that it’s going to be an even better fight than the first.”
Super featherweight contender Argenis Mendez is asking for an immediate rematch after his narrow loss to Juan Carlos Salgado for the vacant IBF super featherweight championship Saturday night. If an immediate rematch is not granted, Team Mendez hopes that they will at least retain their top position in the IBF ratings, so that a rematch with Salgado can be made in the very near future. Promoter Lou DiBella stated “A rematch between Salgado and Mendez would be a terrific opening fight for Boxing After Dark or Showtime. If Gamboa is really moving up to 130 he will need quality opposition and a real champion to face.”
Photos: Big Joe Miranda
Young world champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is ready to fight, he is eager to duke it out against Alfonso Gomez, he showed his speed and power in a public training session at the Westside Boxing Club in Los Angeles, California. The Mexican star is already in fighting shape and only 3 pounds over the weight limit of 154 pounds, he did 10 rounds of shadow boxing, skipped rope, hit the heavy bag, and the speed bag as the crowd and media enjoyed this great workout. “I am very motivated, I respect Alfonso Gomez, he knows what I have and i know what I have, so it is just a matter to step into the ring and follow the game plan and win the fight,” said a very confident Alvarez. For more details and photos click here…
Former world champion and one-time Bernard Hopkins opponent, Ronald “Winky” Wright is in camp in the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania, serving as a training advisor to former light heavyweight champion “Bad” Chad Dawson, as Dawson prepares to face the current WBC light heavyweight champion Hopkins on PPV October 15, at the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, California. Dawson had been training with the legendary Emanuel Steward for his last fight, a victory over Adrian Diaconu, but geography forced an ending to their partnership and a reunion with former trainer John Scully. (more…)
With tickets going on sale to the public soon for the highly-anticipated heavyweight title showdown between UFC® champion Cain Velasquez and challenger Junior dos Santos at UFC® on FOX on Saturday, Nov. 12 at Honda Center in Anaheim, the Ultimate Fighting Championship® announced today that it will host a press conference in Hollywood with the competitors. Hosted by UFC President Dana White, the press conference will take place at 1 p.m. PT on Tuesday, Sept. 20 at the W Hollywood Hotel in Hollywood, Calif. The event is free and open to the public. It will also be streamed at www.ufc.com. (more…)
Hot unbeaten prospects Camilo Perez, Jonathan “Bomba” Gonzalez and Luis Joel Gonzalez will take part in “Triple Crown III” to be held October 1st at the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon, Puerto Rico, that will be headlined by Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez, Roman “Rocky” Martinez and Jonathan “Polvo” Oquendo in title bouts. The PR Best Boxing Promotions (PRBBP) and Top Rank presentation will be televised on Pay Per View.
Former two time WBO champion, López (30-1, 27 KOs) will face Mike Oliver (25-2, 8 KOs) for the featherweight WBO Latino title, along with former 130lb champion Martínez (24-1-1, 15 KOs), against Ramón Maas (25-1, 15 KOs) for the junior lightweight WBO Intercontinental title, and super bantamweight contender Oquendo (21-2, 14 KOs) versus Sod Looknongyantoy (51-2-1, 21 KOs) for the 122lb WBO Latino title. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
In excellent physical condition, three-division world champion the Mexican Erik “Terrible” Morales is ready to travel Tuesday to Las Vegas where on Saturday will face his compatriot Pablo Cesar Cano for the vacant WBC light welterweight title. After leaving the Otomi Ceremonial Center Temoaya in Mexico State, Morales made a stop at his home in Tijuana, Baja California, where he had a light workout in the gym he owns in this border city. Accompanied by his team, composed of his father/trainer Jose Morales, Fernando Fernandez, Jorge Quezada and Jorge Murillo, he’ll head to the world gambling capital where he hopes to become the first Mexican fighter to win world titles in four weight divisions. more photos
Floyd “Money” Mayweather is set to take a seat on the couch of funnyman Conan O’Brien as the six-time world champion appears on “CONAN” in advance of his mega-fight Saturday, Sept. 17 against “Vicious” Victor Ortiz at MGM Grand in Las Vegas which will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View®. The program airs on TBS tonight at 11:00 p.m. ET/PT. “I am excited to go on ‘CONAN’ and show all my fans my funny side,” said Mayweather. “I hope everyone tunes in and continues to show me love heading into my fight against Ortiz on Saturday.”
Also, Floyd and all of the other “Mayweather vs. Ortiz” fighters will make their only appearance together at 5PM PT for the “STAR POWER Star-Studded Photo-Op” at “5 Towers” on Universal Studios CityWalk in Universal City, Calif. The event will kick-off fight week activities for the PPV mega-event which is taking place at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nev. and STAPLES Center in Los Angeles. This event is open to the PUBLIC. Fans are encouraged to arrive early.
Police were called out to today’s heated head-to-head press conference between WBO World Light-Heavyweight Champion Nathan Cleverly and challenger Tony Bellew in Cardiff. Cleverly and Bellew meet in a big “Battle of Britain” at the Liverpool Echo Arena on Saturday 15th October, but it wasn’t the boxers trading punches early! Cleverly’s father and trainer Vince got into a row with one of Bellew’s entourage in the press conference room while the boxers were doing their one-on-one interviews. Vince was raging when he thought one of Bellew’s team was making fun of him and had to be restrained from going over to him. At one point the volatile trainer was punching himself in the face while a shocked Nathan was speaking to TV crews. Calm was restored when a unit of police officers’ arrived on the scene and spoke to both parties. (more…)
A much-anticipated Canadian showdown between undefeated WBA #11-rated Logan Cotton McGuinness and former world title challenger Benoit Gaudet will headline a rivalry show, presented by Hennessy Sports in association with Interbox and United Promotions, on October 22 at The Hershey Centre in Mississauga, Ontario. The pair of Canadian combatants has been on a collision course for nearly two years. (more…)
Former WBO featherweight champion Scott Harrison (25-2-2, 14 KOs) has been released from a Spanish prison after serving two-and-a-half years. Plans are for the 34-year-old former champ to fly back to England and resume his career. “I will be world champ again. Nobody’s going to stop me. One thousand per cent. What keeps me going is my children and my family. I’m going to be the champ again for them,” he told The Sun tabloid. Harrison, had made nine title defenses, before drinking problems and run-ins with the law derailed him, is still facing some outstanding charges.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.