email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Jose Ramirez, Andy Ruiz annihilate opponents
- Photos: Coyle destroys Katsidis; McDonnell stays unbeaten
- UFC 179 Prelims: Magny Gets Record-Tying Win
- Carman wins wild one
- Golota, Nicholson box exhibition
- IT'S ON! GGG Golovkin vs. Martin Murray
- Murray beats Spada to set up Golovkin showdown
- Butler outpoints late sub Garnica
- Results from Manchester, England
- WBC confirms Stiverne-Wilder agreement
- Bahoeli in spotlight at Maple Leaf Gardens
Legendary promoter Don King was in St. Louis Wednesday promoting his June 25 fight card at the Family Arena in St. Charles, Mo., where he appeared with Voltron, the star of a St. Louis-based animated series premiering June 16 on Nicktoons as a 90-minute commercial-free movie event.
For more info on UFC 134 or on the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
“God has a plan for us all and I truly believe this is my time. Broner is going to have to wait another day for his.”
Those were the last words Jason Litzau spoke to Fightnews last week following one of his final sparring sessions prior to leaving for Guadalajara, Mexico for this Saturday nights showdown with Adrien “The Problem” Broner . . . Click here for more
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to spend a day with Don King promoting a prizefight? Click on the attached You Tube link and you, too, can tag along with Don during today’s first press day in St. Louis promoting his history-making June 25 world championship fight card at The Family Arena in St. Charles, Mo., featuring the main event of Devon Alexander vs. Lucas Matthysse and four world championship fights:
Former CNN sports anchor Nick Charles says he was the happiest he’s ever been, building a new life, with his wife and a new daughter, when he learned he had advanced bladder cancer. Doctors tell him he’s on borrowed time, but Nick is determined to live fully in every remaining moment. With wisdom and grace, Charles talks to CNN chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta about making peace with old regrets, saying goodbye to friends and preparing his family – most of all his young daughter, Giovanna – for life without him in a special edition of SANJAY GUPTA MD that will air over Fathers’ Day Weekend, Saturday, June 18, and Sunday, June 19, at 7:30 a.m. ET.
A legendary sports anchor Charles perhaps best beloved by fans for his anchoring talents during boxing matches, in this moving and revealing excerpt, Charles meets with another legend from the world of boxing – his friend Mike Tyson, to talk about some of the lessons he’s still learning about living during this fight.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Venezuelan female super bantamweight Alys “La China” Sanchez plans to return to professional boxing later this year. “I have waited a long time for this,” said Sanchez (5-0, 1 KO). For various reasons I had to leave boxing but now I’m back. I have months of training and I think it’s time to try and return. Still not exactly where I’ll do it, Panama, Mexico or a third country, but I’m just waiting for the opportunity. I have a lot to contribute to women’s boxing and I will do my best to achieve my goal of being world champion.” Sanchez, a native of Maracay, Venezuela, is the mother of a 3-year-old child and a management student at the Universidad Politecnica Territorial de Aragua.
Photos: Promociones Miguel Cotto
World champion and boxing promoter Miguel Cotto, together with Héctor Soto from H2 Entertainment today announced a July 15 fight card billed as “Electrifying” Vélez vs. Valcárcel, to take place at the Cosme Beitía Coliseum in Cataño, Puerto Rico. Top super bantamweight prospect and WBO #10 Jayson “La Maravilla” Vélez (15-0, 12 KOs) is ready to take the biggest challenge of his career when he steps into the ring with former top veteran contender Carlos Valcárcel (12-2-4,5 KOs) for the WBO Latino super bantamweight title and the WBC’s FECARBOX title. The fight will be televised on Telefutura’s weekly “Solo Boxeo” show. more + photos
Legendary boxing icon Don King is soon turning 80, and he hasn’t slowed down a bit. The world’s greatest promoter has gone digital and this week unveiled his first iPhone app. The free-to-download “Don King” app features Don King Productions’ company history and Don’s flamboyant profile, including memorable photos of King and the prizefighters he represents. The app features an exclusive ringtone of King belting his signature catchphrase “Only in America.” You can download it with your iPhone from the Apple App Store.
In a letter to the managerial interests of NABF welterweight champion Shawn Porter, WBC #12, NABF president Joe Dwyer stated, “You are to commence immediate negotiations with mandatory contender Jo Jo Dan, who is represented by Chris Ganescu. If a contract cannot be reached within thirty (30) days a Purse Bid will be held on Monday, July 18th, 2011.”
For their part, team Dan is ecstatic. Manager Ganescu exclaimed, “Jo Jo has a major fight coming! I just hope Porter does not refuse it like (Joel) Julio and (Mike) Jones!” Dan is currently ranked WBC #4.
The EBU – European Boxing Union – held its annual General Assembly in Dublin, Ireland, last weekend. More than 80 delegates representing Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, United Kingdom, Holland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Monaco, Spain, Switzerland, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Russia, Latvia, Estonia, Poland, Sweden, Belarus, Slovakia and Malta attended the meeting. (more…)
Photo: Allen Shankar Ebanks
On Saturday night at the Arts and Recreation Centre in Camana Bay, Cayman Islands, local favorite Charles “Killa ” Whittaker captured the vacant USBA and WBC Latino 154lb titles with a convincing twelve round unanimous decision over Keenan Collins.
Damian Frias TKO2 Alex Perez (welterweight)
Peter Lewison TKO2 Alex Lubo (super middleweight
Alfred Deano D4 Rudolph Hedge (super bantam)
Wilky Campfort W4 Tsetie Davis (middleweight)
Sammy Payne D4 Roger Rose (jr welterweight)
For the past 25 years, Harold Lederman has served as HBO’s unofficial ringside judge, posting his own real-time scorecard and providing any rules interpretation that may be needed. Saturday night in Guadalajara, Mexico, Harold Lederman fulfills a long-time goal, when HBO Sports moves him into the analyst position for the opening fight (Adrien Broner vs. Jason Litzau) on the HBO Boxing After Dark telecast. Short one announcer this weekend, Lederman will call the opening bout with veteran blow-by-blow broadcaster Bob Papa. The bout is scheduled for 10 rounds. Lederman celebrated his 25th anniversary with HBO Boxing this past April, having worked ringside as the unofficial HBO scorer for more than a thousand fights. Roy Jones Jr., who is the late-night series lead analyst, will not work the Broner vs. Litzau fight since his promotional company has a relationship with Litzau. Jones will call the main event of Canelo Alvarez vs. Ryan Rhodes on HBO.
On Tuesday afternoon in New York City, WBC Middleweight Diamond Champion and universally recognized top-3 pound for pound fighter, Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez (47-2-2, 26 KOs) signed a new multiyear, multimillion dollar deal that will keep his promotional interest with DiBella Entertainment (“DBE”) for the foreseeable future. Martinez, 36, originally linked up with DBE in 2007 and is scheduled to return to the ring October 1 on HBO against European middleweight champion Darren Barker (23-0, 14 KOs).
Meanwhile handlers for WBO middleweight champion Dmitry Pirog (18-0, 14 KOs) are claiming that Martinez is ducking Pirog and implied that HBO is “punishing” Pirog for beating Danny Jacobs.
Espinoza Boxing has re-signed unbeaten super featherweight prospect Ronny Rios (14-0, 6 KOs).
Dmitriy Salita had a feature article in the Wall Street Journal (printed and online versions).
Photo: Diego Magdaleno (19-0, 7 KOs) hits the mitts with trainer Augie Sanchez at Barry’s Gym in Las Vegas this afternoon. On his first Showtime headliner, Magdaleno will defend his NABF super featherweight title on July 15 at the Texas Station against Alejandro Perez (15-2-1, 10 KOs).
World champion Brandon Rios and stablemate Mikey Garcia are holding a charity boxing function in Oxnard, Ca. this Saturday with all proceeds to be given to the family of amateur boxer Gustavo Rodriguez who was shot and killed last week. “Gustavo was one of my amateur fighters. He was just 17. He worked out at the gym last Friday and while walking home was shot and killed,” said Robert Garcia, chief trainer. “It is a real tragedy and Brandon and my brother Mikey want to help the family.” Rios and Garcia will go into the ring and shake out for fight fans at the Robert Garcia Boxing Academy, 1601 Pacific Ave #201, Oxnard, Ca. 93033. “We will have a donation box at the gym,” said Robert. “All of the money will go to the family. We are hoping all of the fans will come out and help. Brandon and Mikey will sign autographs, take pictures, anything that will help.” Rios has been training for weeks to prepare for his world title defense against challenger Urbano Antillon of Maywood, Ca., on July 9 at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Ca. Rios vs. Antillon will be televised live on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING.
World champions Miguel “Títere” Vázquez and Giovani Segura will share the ring on Saturday night at the Musica Hall de Toluca i the State of Mexico.
Vázquez (28-3-0, 12 KOs) will make the third defense of his IBF lightweight championship against Marlon “Rata” Aguilar (25-10-1, 18 KOs) in a boxer vs. slugger matchup.
Segura (27-1-1, 23 KOs) will not expose his WBO light flyweight world championship and WBA light flyweight super championship, as he faces Eddy Zúñiga (7-5-1, 1 KO) in a non-title ten rounder.
By Rey Colón -The Sport Press
Antonio Margarito has agreed to challenge WBA junior middleweight Miguel Cotto on December 3 in New York City. According to one of his handlers, Francisco Espinoza, the ‘Tijuana Tornado’ has already received the doctor’s approval and is in the preliminary phase of his training. The bout will be for Cotto’s 154lb title with no catch weight.
With Efrain Esquivias sidelined due to a cut suffered while training, Thompson Boxing Promotions has announced a new main event for their June 24th show at the Doubletree Hotel in Ontario, California. Jr welterweight Jose “El Nino” Reynoso (14-2-1, 2KOs) meets Esteban Almaraz (10-3, 4 KOs) in the new headliner. In the co-main event, scheduled for eight rounds in the featherweight division, Colombia’s Daulis Prescott (22-0, 17 KOs), the younger brother of Breidis Prescott, faces Juan Jose Beltran (20-24-2, 12 KOs). Also, welterweight Artemio “King” Reyes Jr. (11-1, 10 KOs) goes against Chris Gray (13-15, 1 KO).
By Wolfgang Schiffbauer
WBA middleweight world champion Felix Sturm is in the final stages of training camp for his tenth title defense on June 25 at the 18,000 seat Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany, against the hard-hitting and dangerous Irishman Matthew Macklin. The defending champion engaged in a ten-round sparring session today against two different sparring partners, with one of them being the experienced former European champion Lolenga Mock–a regular in Sturm’s camp. For more details and photos click here…
Per Joe Dwyer NABF President: Effective immediately, any two (2) rated NABF boxers who engage in an elimination bout will see the winner elevated to # 1 rated in their division. The current NABF champion will then be obligated to defend against that boxer in their upcoming mandatory title defense. Failure to do so will result in the title being vacated. The NABF Executive Committee implemented this rule at their Atlantic City Convention, last week.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
The bout for the WBA featherweight world title between former world champion Celestino “Pelenchín” Caballero and champion Jonathan Victor Barros scheduled for June 18 in Mendoza, Argentina has been postponed to a new date. The reason given is the travel situation to and from South America due to volcanic ash that have caused the cancellation of flights. Caballero had tried to leave Panama on Sunday and Monday, but both flights were cancelled. July 2 was given as a possible rescheduled date.
UPDATE: Teon Kennedy was released today on his own recognizance and did not have to post any bail. The victim has told people that he knows it was not Teon who shot him and Teon’s fight Aug. 13 at Bally’s is going forward as planned.
– J Russell Peltz, Teon’s promoter
Philadelphia based USBA jr featherweight champion Teon Kennedy (17-0-1, 7 KOs) is being held by authorities on a variety of charges including attempted murder. Other charges include aggravated assault, conspiracy to commit murder, carrying forearms without a license, carrying firearms in public, possession of an instrument of crime, simple assault and recklessly endangering another person. All the charges are stemming from an incident on May 30 and he has been in custody since awaiting a preliminary hearing. He was slated to fight in Atlantic City on August 13.
Unbeaten welterweight Kell Brook (23-0, 16 KOs) says he will become the first man to stop veteran Lovemore N’dou (48-12-2, 31 KOs) on June 25 at the Hillsborough Leisure Centre in Sheffield, England. “It’s a massive night for me and I plan to put on a dazzling show for those lucky enough to be there to watch it,” said Brook. “I know N’dou will be a real test but that’s what I want – an opponent who is going to take me to places I haven’t been so far. I’m training to go 12 rounds with him but I know that stopping him will send out a real message that I am ready to mix it with the very best and fight for a world title….there are big, big fights out there for me – but first things first, I need to see off N’dou and do it in style live on Sky Sports.”
Looks like middleweight champion Sergio Martinez will return in October against WBC #3 ranked Darren Barker from London, England. Contracts are yet to be signed but both camps are onboard for the fight. Barker is 23-0, 14 KOs and is the reigning British, Commonwealth and European titleholder.
In 2010, Bobby Voelker and Roger Bowling engaged in two of the most exciting contests of the year, splitting victories and leaving fans craving a third fight to settle the score. On July 22, the wait will come to an end as STRIKEFORCE® Challengers presents the rubber match at the Pearl at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, Nev., live on SHOWTIME at 11 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast). (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.