firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Q&A: Johnathon Banks, Part I
- TUF Latin America - Episode 4 Preview
- Mayweather-Maidana II Wrap-up
- Boxing Buzz
- Chris Algieri Update
- Persoon to face Prazak on Nov 11
- Rosado says he's fighting Kirkland on Nov 8
- Rivera-Ponomarev headlines Saturday on UniMas
- Saunders-Eubank grudge-match added to Fury-Chisora II
- Yusaf Mack Headlines in NJ
- Opinion: Mayweather void of killer instinct
By Gary “Digital” Williams
The rapid ascent of undefeated Brandywine, MD heavyweight prospect Seth “Mayhem” Mitchell looks to reach a goal when Mitchell faces Evans “The Sandman” Quinn of Miami, FL in a Showtime ShoBox 10-round main event on Friday, May 13 at the Buffalo Bill’s Star of the Desert Arena in Primm, NV. Mitchell (21-0, 15 KO’s) has scored knockouts in his last six and in eight of his last nine bouts. In his last outing, Mitchell registered a second-round technical knockout over Charles Davis at the Honda Center in Anaheim, CA.
However, the Nicaraguan-born Quinn (20-5-1, 18 KO’s) presents a formidable foe with knockout power of his own. Quinn’s last two bouts have ended in first-round knockouts. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
There is new information that current WBC lightweight world champion Humberto ‘Zorrita’ Soto will next defend his title against Japan’s Motoki Sasaki (36-8-1, 23 KOs). No date or venue named, but Oaxaca, Guanajuato and Queretaro are serious possibilities. Soto is currently in Temoaya at the Otomi Ceremonial Center with trainer Romulo Quirarte Jr. and boxers Rogelio Castañedas and Antonio Lozada Jr. Zorrita will celebrate his 31st birthday on Wednesday.
By Graham Houston
The initial reaction, it has to be said, was one of disappointment. Manny Pacquiao dominated Shane Mosley, outclassed him and beat him up in a one-sided 12-round decision. Boos cascaded down, though, from the upper reaches of the sold-out MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday night. People didn’t want to see a drawn-out public flogging. They wanted more. What the crowd wanted was a spectacular finish. They had seen Mosley lose round after round, seen him dropped heavily, and now they wanted to see Pacquiao close the show.
It sounds cruel to say it, but what the crowd didn’t want was to see Pacquiao touching gloves and behaving like the gentleman he is. No, they wanted to see Pacquiao leave the nice guy part of him outside the ropes and get in there and get his 39-year-old opponent out of the fight. (more…)
After stopping champion Wilfredo Vazquez Jr.in the final round on Saturday in Las Vegas to win his third world championship (plus one interim belt) in four different weight divisions, Jorge “Travieso “Arce underwent reconstructive surgery on the bridge of the nose where he suffered a bad cut. On Monday promoter Fernando Beltran took Arce to one of the best hospitals in San Diego, where he underwent minor surgery on the nasal septum, which has already had caused problems in his recent fights. “The operation was a success, doctors removed some cartilage that was damaged and misshapen as a result of many times that had been cut and sutured in previous fights. We’ve solved the root problem and all went very well,” said Beltran as the doctors discharged Arce, who will now take a deserved rest.
Photos and report by Ricardo Conde
Knockout artist and current WBO Inter-Continental junior welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse (28-1, 26 KOs) of Argentina has set up training camp in Oxnard, California and began preparations last week at the renowned World Crown Sports Training Center for his upcoming fight against former WBC/IBF junior welterweight champion Devon Alexander ‘The Great’ (21-1, 13 KOs) of Saint Louis, Missouri that will take place on Saturday, June 25th at The Family Arena in Saint Louis, Missouri and will be shown live on HBO’s ‘Boxing After Dark’. For more details and photos click here…
Photos and report by Ricardo Conde
WBC Silver super middleweight champion Noe ‘El Carbonero’ Gonzalez (26-1, 18 KOs) of Uruguay finished training camp this past Sunday at the World Crown Sports Training Center in Oxnard, California and departed for Uruguay for his up coming fight against Ruben ‘Cloroformo’ Padilla (18-2-1, 17 KOs) of Mexico that takes place this Friday, May 13th at the Estadio Cr. Gaston Guelfi/Palacio Peñarol in Montevideo, Uruguay which is being presented by Sergio Marquez Promociones and Sampson Boxing. (more…)
Two Asians and two Europeans have been assigned by the WBC to work for the May 21 rematch between light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal and Bernard Hopkins at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Judges are Rey Danseco (Philippines), Anek Hontongkam (Thailand) and Guido Cavalleri (Italy). The third man in the ring will be 48-year old Ian John-Lewis (UK). The 46-year-old Hopkins aims to become the oldest man to ever win a championship in boxing while Pascal is looking to retain his belt plus win the vacant WBC Diamond belt.
Photos: Goossen Tutor
Top world rated heavyweight contender Chris “The Nightmare” Arreola was on hand at Saturday’s Galaxy game with David Beckham and Landon Donovan for the ceremonial coin toss and an autograph session at The Home Depot Center in Carson, California. Arreola is scheduled to return to The Home Depot Center this Saturday, May 14 to fight Nagy “Dominican Dynamite” Aguilera. The Heavyweight bout is the co-feature to the Super Six World Boxing Classic semi-final bout between WBA Super Middleweight Champion Andre Ward and former world champion Arthur Abraham. For more details and photos click here…
FIGHT CAMP 360°: Inside the Super Six World Boxing Classic returns TONIGHT/Monday with episode nine on SHO Extreme® at 10 p.m. ET/PT.
Photos: Tom Casino/SHOWTIME
On Saturday, the four Semifinalists in the Super Six World Boxing Classic on SHOWTIME® participated in a press conference at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
The Super Six World Boxing Classic Semifinals will begin this Saturday, May 14 (10 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West Coast) when undefeated Andre Ward (23-0, 13 KOs) will defend his WBA super middleweight world title against former world champion Arthur Abraham (32-2, 26 KOs) at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.
On Saturday, June 4 (9 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West Coast) the Seminfinals will continue when Carl Froch (27-1, 20 KOs) risks his WBC super middleweight title against Glen Johnson (51-14-2, 35 KOs) at Adrian Philipps Ballroom of Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Current WBA interim super lightweight world champion Marcos Maidana was involved in an automobile accident this afternoon in Argentina. He lost control of his vehicle near the intersection of routes 11 and 3 in the city of Santa Fe de Vera but happily was unharmed because he was wearing a seat belt. Maidana said he was traveling in his red Volkswagen Vento and lost control and the car which was badly damaged. There were no other vehicles involved.
WBO President Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel said today that he will invite new champion Jorge “Travieso” Arce to Puerto Rico to get his belt and pay tribute to the fighter to become the first Mexican boxer with world titles in four different weight divisions (counting interim titles). “We are coordinating the date for bringing Arce to Puerto Rico for giving him his super bantamweight belt and also giving him a diamond ring for his three WBO titles,” Valcarcel said about the three WBO crowns Arce won at 108, 115 and 122 pounds. Arce (57-6-2, 44 KOs) won the WBO 122lb title last Saturday when he beat by TKO Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. (20-1-1, 17 KOs) in round 12. His other belt was the WBC interim 112lb title.
Photo: Lars Ronbog, Sportsagency.dk
WBC Super Middleweight Champion Emeritus Mikkel Kessler (43-2, 32 KOs) will make his eagerly-awaited comeback on June 4 when he takes on WBO #5 Mehdi “Nightmare” Bouadla (22-3, 10 KOs) in front of his home fans at Parken Stadium. It will be the Viking Warrior´s first fight since his epic points victory over WBC Super Middleweight Champion Carl Froch in the Super Six World Boxing Classic in April 2010. In August, an eye injury forced him to pull out of the multi-million dollar tournament. Now he is fit to fight again. “I am excited to be back,” Kessler said. “I knew I had to take a rest to let my eye heal and I am happy that everything went according to plan. I am 100 percent fit and I can´t wait to get inside the ring again – I have really been missing it. The comeback at Parken with my home fans supporting me will be great.” (more…)
Junior Witter and Colin Lynes head the bill for the Prizefighter Welterweights II at York Hall, Bethnal Green on Tuesday June 7 – the final Prizefighter of the season. Former WBC light welterweight champion Witter could face Lynes at the same venue that they met in 2005 when Sheffield’s Witter successfully defended his Commonwealth, European and British titles against Londoner Lynes. Witter won his WBC crown in 2006 against DeMarcus Corley and defended it twice the following year before Timothy Bradley took it from him through a split decision in 2008. There’s a chance for double retribution for former IBO World, British and European champ Lynes, with that score to settle against ‘The Hitter’ as well as one with Prizefighter, after he lost the Light-Welterweights final to Gavin Rees in December 2009. Former British champion Kevin McIntyre, unbeaten prospects John Wayne Hibbert and Bobby Gladman, Yassine El Maachi, Peter McDonagh and Nathan Graham complete the line-up for the 19th edition of Matchroom Sport’s eight-man, one night tournaments.
IBF/WBO/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko and WBA heavyweight champion David Haye faced off at the kickoff press conference for their July 2 clash at Imtech Arena in Hamburg, Germany.
“I looked into his eyes and saw him beaten and broken. He’s never fought anyone with my attributes, it’s new territory for me and for him,” said Haye (25-1, 23 KOs). “He’ll do what he always does. I’ve fought these robots before – I’ve never lost, at amateur or professional level, to an eastern European fighter and that’s not going to change now…..He’s a fraud and I’m good at exposing frauds.”
Klitschko (55-3, 49 KOs) stated, “David Haye is going to be my 50th knockout. 49 fighters have been knocked out in the last 15 years and David Haye has completely disrespected them. I will show him that he is just going to be another like the 49 before, he will be number 50 on July 2nd.” more photos
Boxing returns to Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, Calif. on June 3 as rising star Leo Santa Cruz (15-0-1, 7 KOs) battling former World Champion Jose “Carita” Lopez (39-9-2, 32 KOs) in a eight-round bantamweight fight and Coachella’s Randy Caballero fights in a six rounder against an opponent to be named. Telefutura will televise.
Word is Juan Manuel Marquez has rejected Top Rank’s initial offer to face Manny Pacquiao in November.
Late Result: Former New York State heavyweight titleholder Derric Rossy was stopped in five rounds by unbeaten Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev (12-0, 6 KOs) on the undercard of Holyfield-Nielsen on Saturday in Copenhagen, Denmark.
SHOWTIME will replay the Pacquiao-Mosley fight Saturday night along with the Super Six semifinal Andre Ward and Arthur Abraham.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
There is information that current WBC lightweight world champion Humberto ‘Zorrita’ Soto will next defend his title against Thailand’s Saddam Kietyongyuth (22-0, 18 KOs). No date or venue named, but Bahías de Huatulco in Oaxaca is a serious possibility. Soto is currently in Temoaya at the Otomi Ceremonial Center with trainer Romulo Quirarte Jr. and boxer Antonio Lozada Jr.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
WBA #14 super flyweight Everth Briceño (33-6-1, 26 KOs) hammered out a ten round unanimous decision over Darwin Zamora on Saturday night in Managua, Nicaragua. Scores were 99-91, 99-92, 97-93. In the co-feature, former WBA lightweight champion Jose Alfaro (25-7, 22 KOs) scored a fifth round TKO over Eduardo Becerril (11-7-2, 3 KOs). The card was promoted by Prodesa at the Casino Pharaohs.
By Andreas Hale
Photo: Rafael Soto/Zanfer
The war between Jorge Arce and Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. was easily the fight of the night on Top Rank’s big PPV extravaganza on Saturday night in Las Vegas. With his courage, determination and unbending will to win, Arce displayed the warrior spirit that Shane Mosley lacked against Manny Pacquiao in the main event. Badly cut on the nose by a punch in round three and knocked down in round four, Arce refused to give in to a strong, younger champion. Behind on the scorecards of judges Gary Merritt and Burt Clements entering round eleven, Arce launched an all out assault in the final two rounds to get a stoppage win in round twelve to win a world title in his third weight division. Click here to see the official Nevada State Athletic Commission Scorecard
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
IBF middleweight champion Daniel Geale and his trainer Graham Shaw arrive home at Sydney airport, Australia on Emirates Flight 0412 at 6am on Tuesday after a 24 hour flight from Frankfurt Germany with the IBF middleweight belt under his arm after defeating tough German Sebastian Sylvester over twelve rounds. Geale performed a boxing clinic as he outworked the German in most of the rounds with former world heavyweight contender Randy Neumann working as the third man in the ring having one of his easier nights in the ring as both fighters boxed within in the rules. Geale has received plaudits from Australia’s most successful boxing trainers Johnny Lewis who said the Tasmanian-born boxer did belong among the greats of Australian boxing which include Kostya Tszyu, Jeff Fenech and Jeff Harding all of which Lewis trained. Fellow Australians and world rated middleweights Garth Wood, Sam Soliman and Anthony Mundine are expected to put out challenges to the new IBF middleweight champion.
By Ray Wheatley–World of Boxing
Photo: Tim Barry
Former WBA/WBC/IBF super flyweight champion Vic Darchinyan talks to Fightnews about Jorge Arce who challenged him after his victory over Wilfredo Vasquez, Jr., to capture the WBO 122 pound title in Las Vegas on Saturday. “I think Jorge Arce must be crazy. He went and challenged me straight after his win. Does he think I am Vasquez, Jr., who is going to stand there in front of him and do nothing? I will punish Jorge more than I did when I fought him last. He thinks he is the only one who has improved by not making 112 and 115. I was very happy for him yesterday because he is a true Mexican warrior that always comes to fight.” (more…)
By Ron Jackson
Talented junior lightweight Jody Stiglingh is favoured to keep his unbeaten record when he faces the unknown Kupula Mbonuama in a scheduled six rounder at Emperors Palace in Kempton Park on Tuesday night. Stiglingh who is trained by Colin Nathan has a reported record of 12-0; 7 and should have been named as Boxing SA’s prospect of the year for 2010. (more…)
By Ray Wheatley–World of Boxing
Photo by Werner Kalin
Former Australian super middleweight champion Israel Kani (10-4-2, 4 KOs) scored a six round decision over Kashif Mumtaz (7-23-1, 5 KOs) at the Caloundra RSL club in Caloundra, Queensland, Australia on Friday. Scores were: Adam Height 60-54, Alan Moore, 59-56, Adrian Cairns 59-55. In his last bout, Kani lost in two rounds to WBA #9 rated middleweight Garth Wood in 2009. In a previous bout, Mumtaz was stopped in four rounds by former WBA middleweight champion Masilino Masoe in 2011. Mumtaz is originally from Pakistan but is now based in New Zealand. (more…)
Sources close to the situation are stating that the Quebec boxing commission is strongly considering the possibility of requiring a special drug test for the May 21st rematch between WBC/IBO light heavyweight Champion Jean Pascal (26-1-1, 16 KOs) and former world champion Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins (51-5-2, 32 KOs). The bout will take place at the Bell Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Their first fight ended in a draw this past December at the Pepsi Coliseum in Quebec City. Tempers erupted between the two this past March at a press conference in Montreal when Pascal stated that he wanted Hopkins to take a special test to prove he was clean.
Ringside by Andreas Hale & Francisco Salazar
Photos by Chris Cozzone
They said it was a joke when Shane Mosley was selected to face Manny Pacquiao back in December. After a one sided 12 round drubbing, they were right.
Manny Pacquiao retained his WBO welterweight title with a dull 12 round decision over a reluctant Shane Mosley in front of a terribly upset 16,000+ at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, NV. Despite all of Mosley’s pre-fight words of making this a “war,” it was anything but.
After a feeling out process in the first two rounds, Pacquiao scored a knockdown in the third off a straight left. Mosley was dazed by the punch and remained in the retreat for the remainder of the round. Rather than be a warrior willing to engage, Mosley tucked his tail between his legs and did his best to keep his title of never being knocked out . . .
Sixteen-and-a-half thousand fans weren’t the only ones dissatisfied with last night’s overhyped showdown between Manny Pacquiao and “Sugar” Shane Mosley.
You can add Pacquiao to the list of the unfulfilled that included everyone but camera hound Paris Hilton, who nearly upstaged the pound-for-pound champ at the late-night postfight presser . . . click here for full story
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.