firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Ex-Champs Ioka, Miyazaki win in comeback bouts
- Club 1957 Management signs Jr. Lightweight Jason Sosa
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV undercard packs Int'l intrigue
- Burns opponent named: Leonardo Gonzalez
- Frankel And Rodriguez Meet At The Crossroads
- Pacquiao says Mayweather is "all talk"
- Playa del Carmen poised for first ever female boxing convention
- Fight Night Saitama Main Card Fantasy Preview
- Funeka makes first defense of SA title
- Return of the Saint: Groves-Rebrasse undercard
- Galarza headlines Saturday in NYC
Former world champion Arthur Abraham says he’s well prepared both mentally and physically to defeat reigning WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward LIVE on SHOWTIME at 10PM ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast) at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California.
On being an overwhelming underdog:
This totally makes no difference to me. At the beginning of the tournament everybody picked Kessler. Then when I knocked out Jermain Taylor in the first round of the tournament all of a sudden I was the favorite to win the whole thing. Now it’s Ward’s time. But only until Saturday. Then the cards will be reshuffled! This is the beauty of boxing. One punch can change everything, in the most true sense of the word. (more…)
By Robert Coster
Former WBC junior flyweight champion and WBC #1 flyweight contender Edgar Sosa( 42-6,25 KOs) will be stepping back into the ring on June 2nd to meet WBC #12 Julio “Matador” Paz (12-1, 4 KOs) of Uruguay in defense of his WBC International title. This fight, which is to be held in Mexico, constitutes Sosa’s last hurdle before challenging the formidable WBC Champion Pongsaklek Wonjonkam sometime in the fall. “I’m not looking past Julio Paz. I’ve heard he’s a good boxer and I can expect him to come fully prepared since the winner of this fight will meet Wonjonkam,” declared Sosa as he is getting ready to get back into training. Sosa’s Uruguayan opponent holds the WBC Latino title and will be fighting for the first time outside of his homeland.
Update: The EPIX broadcast of the Braehmer-Cleverly WBO light heavyweight championship will be presented exclusively to the U.S. via tape-delay on June 18, not live.
American premium cable channel Epix will televise promoter Frank Warren’s May 21st show at The O2 in London. The card features Juergen Braehmer defending his WBO light heavyweight title against interim titlist Nathan Cleverly, plus the highly-charged grudge match between rivals James DeGale and George Groves for the British and Commonwealth super middleweight titles. Also on the card is Britain’s only ever world amateur champion Frankie Gavin. Epix presented a live telecast of WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko’s defense against Odlanier Solis in their boxing debut earlier this year.
No official numbers yet, but Top Rank expects the pay-per-view buys for Pacqiuiao-Mosley to surpass the 1.2 million buys for Pacquiao-Margarito.
Pacquiao’s next opponent could be Juan Manuel Marquez who has accepted a second proposal for a November 12 fight against Pacquiao in Las Vegas at a catchweight of 144lbs. Golden Boy has a right to match the $5 million offer and has signaled that they may put Marquez in with WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz.
Ortiz has also been linked to a possible fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in Dallas, but that is more of a rumor at this point.
Meanwhile, Mayweather’s legal woes continue to pile up. Last week a bouncer at a Vegas strip club sued Floyd alleging that Floyd’s bodyguard roughed him up. Floyd is also facing charges involving two separate incidents with security guards, as well as various felony charges involving the mother of his children.
Undefeated super featherweight prospect Jerry “The Kid” Belmontes (14-0, 5 KOs) has reached an agreement with manager Cameron Dunkin. Belmontes is co-managed by Adrian Clark.
No fights currently scheduled but undefeated Cuban featherweight prospect Luis “La Estrella” Franco (9-0 5 KOs) is currently training at SoMi Fitness in Miami with strength and conditioning coach Willie Del Sol and dietician Unni Greene. He is undergoing a fitness program specially designed to increase his punching power and stamina.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
WBA interim miniumweight world champion Samuel Gutierrez is in the final stages of training for the second defense of his crown against former WBC world champion Juan Palacios on May 21 in San Martin Texmelucan, Puebla, Mexico. “Palacios is a big challenger, but I trained hard and the fight is on front of my people and I’ll be very inspired with this support. I struggled to become a world champion and will defend it with all my desire,” said Gutierrez. Palacios continued his training in Managua, Nicaragua, and hopes to travel on Sunday to Mexico.
Promociones del Pueblo company expects a “great boxing night” because in the semifinal WBC super flyweight silver champion Oscar “Ceviche” Ibarra will defend against Juanito Rubillar in another great Mexico-Philippines matchup. Also Jorge “Maromero” Paez Jr., who in his last fight defeated former world champion Jose Luis Castillo, will face Jose “Piston” Lopez and lightweight Mauricio “Trompas” Pintor (son of Mexican ring great Lupe Pintor) will face TBA.
By Ron Jackson
Rodney Berman, of Golden Gloves Promotions, has announced an outstanding bill for the show at Emperors Palace, Kempton Park on June 4, which will be headed by the clash between young Flo Simba and the veteran Frans Botha, who has fought Mike Tyson during his long career.
Ten champions or former champions will be in action in the tournament with a total of 58 rounds of boxing scheduled. The program adds up to one of the most exciting bills to be presented in South Africa in recent years. The 22-year-old Simba, the IBO Youth champion, gets an opportunity to make a statement in the heavyweight division when he faces 42-year-old Botha, a former IBF heavyweight champion. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
American referee Robert Hoyle will be the third man in the ring when Mexican WBA interim bantamweight champion Hugo Ruiz (27-1, 25 KOs) defends against compatriot Francisco Arce (31-6-3, 22 KOs) at the Polideportivo Centenario in Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico on Saturday. The three judges are Pasquale Procopio (Canada) , Jesus Cova (Venezuela) and Carlos Sucre (Venezuela). The fight Supervisor is Jose Graglia (Argentina). Fox Deportes will televise in the USA.
Promoter Greg Cohen has left The Empire Sports and Entertainment Inc. and formed Greg Cohen Promotions. He will continue to promote former heavyweight champion Hasim “The Rock” Rahman (49-7-2, 40 KOs), WBA 154-pound champion Austin “No Doubt” Trout (22-0,13 KOs), jr middleweight contender “Mean” Joe Greene (22-1, 14 KOs) lightweight prospect Mikey Faragon (14-0, 7 KOs), former multi-division world champion James “Lights Out” Toney (73-6-3, 44 KOs), among others. GCP will also be working with FOX Sports Net on supplying them with boxing programming.
Rahman is also coming onboard as a partner in the company. Top trainer and former light heavyweight champion Eddie Mustafa Muhammad will serve as Vice President of Boxing Operations.
By Ron Jackson
Mzonke Fana has withdrawn from his IBF junior lightweight title defense against Argenis Mendez of the Dominican Republic scheduled for Carnival City, Brakpan, on June 11 because the champion from Khayelitsha near Cape Town, says he does not have a trainer and adequate training facilities to be ready in time for the mandatory defence. The IBF may strip Fana of his belt. Promoter Branco Milenkovic has announced that the fight will be replaced by an IBF junior featherweight eliminator between Jeffrey Mathebula and Oscar Chauke.
Hekkie Budler, who lost his IBO junior flyweight belt to Gideon Buthelezi on January 27, will return to action at the Orient Theatre in East London on May 29. After suffering his first defeat against Gideon Buthelezi in January this year, Budler will drop to strawweight to fight in an eight-rounder. Promoter Mzi Mnguni will announce his opponent shortly.
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Miami based heavyweight Evans Quinn (20-5-1, 18 KOs) will clash with Seth Mitchell (21-0-1,15 KOs) over ten rounds at Buffalo Bill’s Star Arena in Primm, Nevada on Friday. Quinn is confident of victory and said, “I’ve been training hard in Nicaragua in preparation for this fight. I’ve had some good sparring and I’m ready to go the distance if necessary. My speed will win me the fight. I’m looking forward to putting on a great show for the fans. I fought Serhei Liakhovich on 9 days’ notice. I still should have won that fight despite just turning up and fighting. He (Seth Mitchell) can’t show me nothing I haven’t already seen. He is in a lot of trouble.” (more…)
Main Events CEO, Kathy Duva, today officially announced a new opponent for Joel Julio’s May 20th welterweight bout. Julio (36-4, 31KOs) will take on Anges Adjaho, of Cotonou, Benin (Africa), 17-5, 9KO’s. Antwone Smith was forced to withdraw from his fight against Joel Julio because of an elbow injury. For Julio this fight is particularly important because it will be his first test back at the 147 weight class.
Held in the intimate boxing club environment of Prudential Center’s AmeriHealth Pavilion, Newark, New Jersey, the fight will be broadcast on ESPN 2, 9-11 pm EST. The Brick City Boxing Series fight is promoted by Main Events. (more…)
Photo and report by Ricardo Conde
Fightnews caught up with WBO Inter-Continental junior welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse (28-1, 26 KOs) at the World Crown Sports Training Center in Oxnard, California to talk to him about his upcoming fight with former WBC/IBF junior welterweight champion Devon Alexander ‘The Great’ (21-1, 13 KOs) of Saint Louis, Missouri that takes place June 25th at The Family Arena in Saint Louis, Missouri, which will be shown live on HBO’s ‘Boxing After Dark’, his fight with current IBF junior welterweight champion Zab ‘Super’ Judah, and a lot more, here’s what he had to say… (more…)
Photos and report by Ricardo Conde
Highly talented and hard hitting junior welterweight Karim ‘KC’ Martinez (6-0, 4 KOs) of Humble, Texas will step back into the ring this Thursday, May 12th against Robert ‘Hitman’ Hill (3-10, 1 KO) at the Hilton Anatole Hotel in Dallas, Texas which is being headlined by WBC USNBC junior middleweight champion Juan Carlos Candelo (31-10-4, 20 KOs) of Baytown, Texas by way of Colombia taking on Justin Flanagan (9-1, 5 KOs) of Charleston, Arkansas in a 12-round bout, the fight card is being presented by Steve Crosson Promotions. For more details and photos click here…
Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins impressed the sports world last December when he challenged Light Heavyweight World Champion Jean Pascal in an attempt to break George Foreman’s record as the oldest fighter in boxing history to win a significant world title. After Hopkins’ December 18, 2010 fight with Pascal ended in a controversial draw decision, Hopkins is looking to make history again in a rematch with Pascal, but this time he will be 192 days older than Foreman was when he beat Michael Moorer for the Heavyweight World Championship on November 5, 1994.
“This [surpassing of George Foreman's record] is a hell of a milestone. This is something that not any old fighter gets to do, or most athletes from any sport for that matter. I am glad to be able to represent that at this stage of my career. I have been able to reach this milestone because of things I have overcome [in my life] and I am motivated by the legacy I will leave.” (more…)
The Heavyweight Factory presents a card in June 4 at The Seminole Hard Rock Live with heavy-handed heavyweight Cedric “The Bos” Boswell (34-1, 26 KOs) his WBC Latino, IBF Inter-Continental and NABA crowns against TBA in the evening’s 10-round main event. Meanwhile, fast-rising light middleweight Domonique “3D” Dolton (10-0, 6 KOs) from the world-famous Kronk gym in Detroit looks to notch his first regional belt in a 10-round co-main event. (more…)
The Son of the Legend, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., is training with Freddie Roach at the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, Calif. “Junior is working hard and getting prepared for his world title fight,” Roach said. “I am pleased as he is very focused.” Chavez Jr takes on undefeated world champion Sebastian Zbik of Germany in a WBC World Middleweight Championship bout at the STAPLES Center on June 4 in Los Angeles. “Zbik is solid, a champion who will be in top condition. That, I know,” Roach said. Zbik vs. Chavez Jr will be televised on HBO After Dark (10 pm et, 10 pm pt).
By Joe Koizumi
Japanese promoter Kazunori Miyakawa, 62, passed away of heat attack early on Saturday. He collapsed at the dormitory of his Yokohama Hikari Gym, and was urgently hospitalized by ambulance not to regain his consciousness. Miyakawa, a successful businessman, started to sponsor the gym managed by ex-Orient feather champ Mitsunori Seki in 1995 and serve as the promoter of his boxers since. As Seki passed away in 2008, Miyakawa became the club owner on his behalf and took the full responsibility of the gym and promotions. He handled WBA 130-pound/135-pound champ Takanori Hatakeyama, WBA minimum ruler Yutaka Niida and former WBA super-bantm kingpin Ryol-li Lee. Our boxing fraternity greatly missed the still young impresario, and a funeral service will take place in Kawasaki city tomorrow (Wednesday).
Zuffa, LLC, owner of the Ultimate Fighting Championship® brand, announced today that nearly 350 UFC® and STRIKEFORCE® independent contractor athletes will now be eligible for customized accident insurance coverage. The coverage will be underwritten by Houston Casualty Insurance Company and complement existing event coverage the company already provides its athletes. Never before has a combat sports promoter provided coverage to nearly 350 athletes, and this unprecedented policy will cover accidental injuries suffered by athletes while training, as well as non-training incidents such as automobile accidents. (more…)
Contenderes Jose “Chelo” Gonzalez, Jonathan “Polvo” Oquendo, and prospect Jonathan “Bomba” González will headline the third edition of the series “A Puño Limpio”, to be held at the Antonio R. Barcelo coliseum in Toa Baja, Puerto Rico, Friday, June 3, in a PR Best Boxing Promotions (PRBBP) presentation to be televised live on WAPA América. (more…)
Ringside Report by Scott Ploof
Photography by Emily Harney
As the old boxing saying goes, ‘somebody’s “0” must go’ and it did this past Friday night in front of just over 1000 fight fans at the Fox Theatre inside of Foxwoods Resort and Casino in Mashantucket, CT as Jimmy Burchfield’s Classic Entertainment and Sports presented “Champion Breed.” In the main event of the evening, San Diego CA’s Denis Grachev (10-0-1, 5 KOs), a former Russian kickboxing champion, scored a fourth round TKO victory over the previously undefeated Providence RI super middleweight, Vladine Biosse (11-1, 6 KOs). Former world title challenger Elvin Ayala (23-5-1, 11 KOs) continued his ascent in the super middleweight division with a fourth round TKO at 3:00 as he won his third fight in a row by dominating veteran George Armenta. Click here for the entire ringside report and action packed photogallery.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Three-time world champion and Mexican ring legend Erik “Terrible” Morales is ready to begin training at the Otomi Ceremonial Center for his next fight, possibly on July 30 in Las Vegas or Mexico. Although Morales has no opponent lined up yet, the names of Zab Judah and Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero have come up, although Morales would prefer a rematch with Marcos Maidana.
By Gary “Digital” Williams
The rapid ascent of undefeated Brandywine, MD heavyweight prospect Seth “Mayhem” Mitchell looks to reach a goal when Mitchell faces Evans “The Sandman” Quinn of Miami, FL in a Showtime ShoBox 10-round main event on Friday, May 13 at the Buffalo Bill’s Star of the Desert Arena in Primm, NV. Mitchell (21-0, 15 KO’s) has scored knockouts in his last six and in eight of his last nine bouts. In his last outing, Mitchell registered a second-round technical knockout over Charles Davis at the Honda Center in Anaheim, CA.
However, the Nicaraguan-born Quinn (20-5-1, 18 KO’s) presents a formidable foe with knockout power of his own. Quinn’s last two bouts have ended in first-round knockouts. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
There is new information that current WBC lightweight world champion Humberto ‘Zorrita’ Soto will next defend his title against Japan’s Motoki Sasaki (36-8-1, 23 KOs). No date or venue named, but Oaxaca, Guanajuato and Queretaro are serious possibilities. Soto is currently in Temoaya at the Otomi Ceremonial Center with trainer Romulo Quirarte Jr. and boxers Rogelio Castañedas and Antonio Lozada Jr. Zorrita will celebrate his 31st birthday on Wednesday.
By Graham Houston
The initial reaction, it has to be said, was one of disappointment. Manny Pacquiao dominated Shane Mosley, outclassed him and beat him up in a one-sided 12-round decision. Boos cascaded down, though, from the upper reaches of the sold-out MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday night. People didn’t want to see a drawn-out public flogging. They wanted more. What the crowd wanted was a spectacular finish. They had seen Mosley lose round after round, seen him dropped heavily, and now they wanted to see Pacquiao close the show.
It sounds cruel to say it, but what the crowd didn’t want was to see Pacquiao touching gloves and behaving like the gentleman he is. No, they wanted to see Pacquiao leave the nice guy part of him outside the ropes and get in there and get his 39-year-old opponent out of the fight. (more…)
After stopping champion Wilfredo Vazquez Jr.in the final round on Saturday in Las Vegas to win his third world championship (plus one interim belt) in four different weight divisions, Jorge “Travieso “Arce underwent reconstructive surgery on the bridge of the nose where he suffered a bad cut. On Monday promoter Fernando Beltran took Arce to one of the best hospitals in San Diego, where he underwent minor surgery on the nasal septum, which has already had caused problems in his recent fights. “The operation was a success, doctors removed some cartilage that was damaged and misshapen as a result of many times that had been cut and sutured in previous fights. We’ve solved the root problem and all went very well,” said Beltran as the doctors discharged Arce, who will now take a deserved rest.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.