firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Weights from Auckland, New Zealand
- Photos: Canelo-Kirkland Texas Press Conferences
- Ward: If this fight does happen, Froch is not dictating anything
- Boxing Buzz
- Chilemba-Lepkihin Conference Call Quotes
- Broner: If I don't stop him it will be a bloody massacre
- Latest on Andrade-Lara
- Bronco Billy on boxing at 50
- Szymanski making waves in South Florida
- Parker, Pettaway ready for March 5th clash
- Glazkov reunites with old trainer for Cunningham clash
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
“The offer we made to Paul McCloskey is the biggest offer he’s ever going to get,” WBA super lightweight world champion Amir Khan told the Daily Mirror. “Why is it when someone wants to fight Amir Khan, they ask for a stupid number? “Marcos Maidana asked for a stupid number first time. Then he came to his senses and said ‘fine, I’ll take the second offer’. It’s the same with Paul McCloskey and I hope he takes our second offer and it is going to be higher. He should think ‘this is an opportunity for a world title fight and if I beat him, it will make me a big, big name.'”
Super featherweight Joseph Laryea (14-4, 11 KOs) of Ghana defeated Scotsman Paul Appleby (16-2, 11 KOs) in December at the Braehead Arena in Glasgow. In March 12th, he will be returning to the same venue to face Appleby’s countryman, WBO world champion Ricky Burns (30-2, 7 KOs). “I come to Scotland again to KO Ricky burns and take back the belt. He disrespected me last time I saw him and now I make him pay for this. Unless he says ‘sorry’ before we meet in the ring I will gut him like a pig. Appleby has already tasted my power and I will destroy him. I will see you on March 12 in the ring Mr. Burns, and be ready for war.”
Burns vs Laryea headlines an Frank Warren card that also features Michael Jennings against Edinburgh’s Gary McMillan in an eliminator for the British welterweight title, and the aforementioned Paul Appleby, who returns in a six round featherweight contest.
Tito Ortiz Returns To Take On Lil Nog In Seattle: The UFC hits the Key Arena in Seattle on Saturday, March 26 as former champion Tito Ortiz battles Antonio Nogueira, plus Dan Hardy and Anthony Johnson collide! UFC Fight Club Presale starts Thursday, Jan. 27 – join today for first access to tickets!
UFC Undisputed 2010 on iPad/iPhone: Step into the Octagon with more than 25 of the best UFC fighters in the world – get it now at the iTunes App Store for the special price of $1.99
For more info on UFC or UFC 126, visit www.UFC.com
WBA #5/WBC #14 middleweight Andy Lee (24-1, 18 KOs) in the WBC rankings will now face WBO #12 Craig McEwan (19-0, 10 KOs) on March 12, in the chief supporting bout to Sergio Martinez – Sergei Dzinziruk WBC world middleweight clash at Foxwoods Resort Casino, Mashantucket, Connecticut, United States. Lee had originally been scheduled to do battle with fellow Irishman, John Duddy. But following Duddy’s shock retirement announcement last week the unbeaten McEwan stepped in to fill the void. The Ireland v Scotland ‘Celtic War’ between Lee and McEwan comes on the weekend before St Patrick’s Day. Lee expects a good turnout of Irish boxing fans at the Foxwoods Resort Casino arena to support him from across the East Coast of the US and from Ireland. (more…)
Image: Photo Wende
Former world title challenger Eduard Gutknecht (19-1, 8 KOs) will make his first fight under the promotional banner of Team Sauerland on February 12 when he takes on Oleksandr Cherviak (9-1, 1 KO) in Mülheim, Germany. In the main event of the night, Yoan Pablo Hernandez challenges WBA Interim Cruiserweight Champion Steve Herelius. Gutknecht will be trained by eight-time German coach of the year Ulli Wegner and fight at light heavyweight. “I am looking forward to February 12,” Gutknecht said. “I had a very good start with Team Sauerland and can´t wait to show my potential in the ring.”
Chris Meyer, General Manager of Team Sauerland, believes that Gutknecht, a very successful amateur and former WBO Intercontinental Super-Middleweight Champion, has a golden future ahead. “In the mid- and long-term he will be fighting for European and World Titles,” Meyer said. “He is very charismatic and got what it takes to be a champion. Ulli Wegner will take care of the rest.” (more…)
Welterweight prospect Joseph Judah (5-1, 1 KOs) has just been added to the IBF Jr. Welterweight title fight card promoted by Main Events & Super Judah Promotions on March 5th at the Amerihealth Pavillion at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. In the main event, Zab “Super” Judah (40-6, 27 KOs) will face Kaizer Mabuza (23-6-3 14 KOs), for the vacant IBF Jr. Welterweight championship. In the co-feature, 2008 USA Olympian Saddam “World Kid” Ali (11-0, 6 KOs) will face TBA.
Photos and report by Ricardo Conde
Highly talented junior welterweight prospect Karim ‘KC’ Martinez (4-0, 3 KOs) of Humble, Texas will step back into the ring this Thursday, January 27th at the Houston Club in Houston, Texas against an opponent yet to be determined. “I’m very excited to be fighting right away; we’re starting off the New Year right. I’m ready and I can’t wait.” said Karim Martinez. In his last outing, the 19-year old Martinez defeated Chris Russel (2-4-1, 1 KO) via unanimous decision last month at the Civic Center in Marshall, Texas. Click here for more photos…
By Peter Lim
A trio of Houston heavyweights are scheduled to do battle at the latest Savarese Boxing Promotions card at the Houston Club on Jan. 27. Steve Collins, 23-1 (16 KOs), Fred Allen, 9-0 (6 KOs), and Skip Scott, 11-1 (6 KOs) will fight separate bouts against opponents yet to be determined at press time. Undefeated featherweight Miguel Flores,7-0 (4 KOs), returns to action after a six-month layoff due to a knuckle injury inhis right hand. Also, junior welterweight Karim Martinez, 4-0 (3 KOs), attampts to remain undefeated in a four-round bout.
By Ron Jackson
Photo: Jeff Ellis
In a battle of the B’s, Hekkie Budler defends his IBO junior flyweight belt for the second time when he meets IBO strawweight champion Gideon Buthelezi at Emperors Palace near Kempton Park on Thursday night. (more…)
A tragic day for the family of former world super middleweight champion Jeff Lacy, as well as all in law enforcement. Lacy’s brother Hydra Lacy, Jr. was involved in a shootout with police in St. Petersburg, Florida that left two officers dead, and eventually Lacy was also found dead at the scene. Click here for full coverage.
By Jesse Kelley
Photo: Chris Cozzone
Super featherweight contender Jason Litzau (28-2, 21 KOs) has shot into the limelight following his shocking upset victory over highly regarded world champion Celestino Caballero on November 27th. Litzau overcame lopsided betting odds with the victory, in some cases as high as 13-1. Now rated in the top five by the WBC, WBA, and the IBF, Litzau admits he was surprised when told he was such a wide underdog in the hours leading up to the fight.
“Those kinds of odds are truly amazing” said Litzau looking back at the fight. “I guess I needed to prove myself, but I don’t think that will ever happen again. I tell you what though, to all my fans that bet on me, Merry Christmas! Santa came to town. And for everybody that bet on Caballero, I hope your broke as sh*t (laughing)! (more…)
For more info on UFC or UFC 126, visit www.UFC.com
By Przemyslaw Garczarczyk
“I can officially announce that Monday evening I signed the contract to fight Wladimir Klitschko in September, in Poland for a heavyweight championship fight,” said Tomasz Adamek, the Polish light heavyweight and cruiserweight champion, who wants to become the first man in boxing history with belts in the three heaviest weight categories. “Everything worked out, we are all very happy with this development. Both sides agreed to all the points, and as far as we know, Wladimir already signed it too, so now we are waiting for television stations from US and Germany to setup the best possible date in September,” said Adamek’s longtime manager and advisor, Zyggi Rozalski.
“With my trainer Roger Bloodworth, we have eight months to prepare for Klitschko,” said Adamek. “I will fight one more fight before September, most likely in Poland. I will start my preparations in a couple of days, at the Poconos Mountains, although for the past two weeks I’ve already started my own training schedule. What I can say? I love boxing.”
Photos by Tom Casino/SHOWTIME
Undefeated featherweight prospect and former Cuban Olympian Luis Franco will look to take another giant step towards challenging for a world title in 2011 when he takes on veteran Leonilo Miranda in a 10-round bout to kick off an impressive run of boxing on SHOWTIME on Friday, Feb. 4 LIVE on SHOWTIME (11 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West coast). In a co-feature worthy of main event billing, crowd-pleasing and Freddie Roach-trained Lateef Kayode will be looking for his 15th consecutive knockout as he squares off against Tampa native Nicholas Iannuzzi in a 10-round cruiserweight bout. For more details and photos click here…
By Phil Doherty
Pugilistic Promotions announced the main event for the February 11th card at the Magic City Casino today. Nigerian middleweight Eromosele “Bad Boy” Albert (23-4-1, 11 KOs) makes his first defense of the IBO Latino middleweight belt against Lester “El Cubanito” Gonzalez (11-2-1, 6 KOs) in a 10 round bout. This will mark the fourth in a series of seven monthly cards sponsored by Badia Spices at the casino. Albert last fought here in November; earning an exciting ninth-round TKO victory over Joaquin Zamora (18-3-1, 12 KOs) to claim the vacant IBO Latino crown. (more…)
Light heavyweight Blake Prevost (16-2-1, 5 KOs) won a ten round split decision against former world title challenger Will “Kid Fire” McIntyre (40-5-1, 14 KOs) on Saturday night at the Hollywood Casino in Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi.
Other results from promoter Leslie Bonano and Brawlin’ in N’awlins’ show:
Bobby O’Bannon TKO3 John Brown (heavyweights)
Jamond Bourgeois W4 Vince Burkhalter (middleweights)
Tiffany Woodard D4 Sydeny LeBlanc (heavyweights)
Marcus McDaniel W4 Blake Singleton (middleweights)
By Ricardo Conde
Photos: Ricardo Conde
Middleweight champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez (46-2-2, 25 KOs) of Argentina continues his preparations for his upcoming bout which will be against WBO junior middleweight champion Sergiy Dzinziruk (37-0, 23KOs) of Ukraine on Saturday March 12th at the Foxwoods Resort Casino in Mashantucket, CT which will be shown live on HBO’s ‘World Championship Boxing’.
“We’re only a couple weeks into camp and Sergio is already in great shape.” said chief trainer Gabriel Sarmiento. “Sergio maintains the same intensity throughout the entire camp, he’s giving it 100% and I have no doubt in my mind we’re going to get similar results in this fight as we did in our last fight.” continued Sarmiento. (more…)
The IBF is on pace to quickly reach its goal to fill all its female titles and give more championship opportunities to women around the world. On Saturday, January 22, 2011 at Estadio Neza in Nezahualcoyotl, Mexico two more IBF female champions were crowned. (more…)
Photos: Rafael Soto/Top Rank
The last time Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. fought in his hometown of Culiacan, Sinaloa, Mexico, he was a 19-year kid fighting in his first 10 rounder against former Mexican champion Christian Solano, who at the point was the toughest opponent he had face in his young career. “I remember that night very well. I had a lot of support from the fans and it was a very special night. It was my first main event in a big fight at home and I was very excited,” said Chavez Jr. That fight was back on December 16, 2006 at the Plaza de Toros.
This Saturday, January 29, Chavez Jr. returns as the number one world ranked contender in the WBC Middleweight Division to take on Billy Lyell in the Banorte Soccer stadium in Culiacan. (more…)
By Rick Scharmberg
Terrance “The Heat” Cauthen (36-7, 9 KOs) took a six-round unanimous decision over Philip “Mongoose” McCants (8-2-1, 3 KOs) in the welterweight main event last Saturday night at the Hamilton Manor in Hamilton, NJ. McCants was down briefly in round five. The scores were 58-53, 59-53, and 59-52, all for the former 1996 Olympic bronze medalist. In the co-feature, Charles Hayward (6-2, 2 KOs) stopped Jason Burrell (2-6-3, 2 KOs) after two completed rounds of a scheduled six round light heavyweight bout. Burrell was down twice in round two, and was ruled unable to continue for round three. The promoter of the event was Nedal Promotions. Other results…
Unbeaten WBA #9 rated super bantamweight Scott Quigg (21-0, 14 KOs) has spent £4000 of his own money in order to spend three weeks training at Freddie Roach’s famous Wild Card gym. He is currently enjoying his second trip to the Los Angeles gym that also house the world’s top fighter Manny Pacquiao and Amir Khan. “As far as I am concerned it is money well spent,” he stated. “Sparring sessions over there are like war, harder than any fight I’ve had. I have sparring with champions and it has been hard, but these are sacrifices I need to make….I am getting to the stage where the opposition is getting harder so this camp in Los Angeles is helping prepare me for that.”
Due to an injury to Mike Mollo, there is a brand new main event on Saturday at The Turning Stone Casino and Resort in Verona, New York as former U.S. Olympian Jason Estrada (16-3, 4 KOs) will take on Franklin Lawrence (13-2-2, 8 KOs) in a ten round battle for the WBC Caribbean Heavyweight championship. Mollo was slated to face Manuel Quezada, who is now off the card.
As initially announced on Fightnews.com, former WBO welterweight champion Carlos ‘El Indio’ Quintana (27-3, 21 KOs) will soon make his return the ring. The new date now is February 18th with Quintana’s opponent being Ishmael Tetteh (21-6-2, 10 KOs) of Accra, Ghana. The 10 round junior middleweight main event will take place at the Coliseo Pachin Vicens in Ponce, Puerto Rico.
European super featherweight champion Stephen Foster Jr. (28-2-1, 18 KOs) is hoping that his next opponent Ermano Fegatilli (22-4, 5 KOs) isn’t as intelligent in the ring as he is outside of the ropes. The Belgian challenger, who holds a Masters Degree in Economics from Liege University in 2007, is a pure boxing stylist who will aim to outsmart Foster on February 26 in the Premier Suite at Reebok Stadium in Bolton, England. (more…)
According to the Association of Boxing Commissions, 28 boxers have been allowed to fight while on suspension since July 2010. California was the main offending commission, allowing 9 suspended boxers to participate. Other commissions included Kansas, Shediac, Puerto Rico, Mashantucket, Montreal, Manitoba, Colorado, Iowa, Arizona, Washington, Oklahoma and Mississippi. The highest profile boxers were world rated super bantamweight Christopher Martin who fought under suspension on September 10 (Must Renew Federal ID) and three-time world title challenger Cecilio Santos who fought under suspension on December 11 (Needs Physical). The ABC draws its membership from state and tribal combative sports commissions from the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.
By Rick Scharmberg
Michael “No Joke” Stewart (46-7-2, 24 KOs) returns to the ring to face David “El Torrito” Torres (21-2-2, 13 KOs) in a ten round junior welterweight bout on Friday, February 25 at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino in Dover, Delaware. Stewart and Torres will box for the vacant NABA junior welterweight title. Stewart, of New Castle, DE is a former USBA champion, and has appeared on “The Contender” TV reality show. In the co-feature, heavyweight knockout artist Amir “Hardcore” Mansour (11-0, 8 KOs) will appear against an opponent to be determined. Mansour is on the fast track to a world ranking. (more…)
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Photo: Tim Barry
Former WBA middleweight challenger Jamie Pittman (20-2, 8 KOs) will be in action over eight rounds when he clashes with Tim Kanofski (11-3, 0 KOs) at the Gold Coast Convention Center at Broadbeach, Queensland, Australia on Saturday. Pittman will start a red hot favorite but the tough Kanofski always comes to fight and has a good work rate but lacks finishing power.
Also in action will be WBO #14 heavyweight Alex Leapai (21-3-3, 16 KOs), who will punch it out with 36-year-old Florida heavyweight Jason Barnett (12-12, 6 KOs) over eight rounds. (more…)
By Scott Ploof
Photo: Emily Harney
Worcester, MA’s own three-time world champion Jose Antonio Rivera (39-6-1, 24 KOs) recently announced his decision to come out of retirement. After an almost two and a half year layoff, Rivera, who recently has been in training, is looking to make one last run at getting another shot at a world title. He will begin his journey in the main event on Saturday April 9th at the Palladium in his hometown of Worcester, MA on a card promoted by Jimbo Isperduli’s Paxton Promotions. At this time Rivera’s opponent has yet to be determined. Matchmaker for this event is Ted Panagiotis.
When asked what prompted his decision to return to the ring, Rivera stated to FightNews, “Well recently I began training in the gym to challenge myself because I got up to 190 pounds. I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could get back into the optimal condition that I once used to be in, back when I fought in a world championship fight. I began then working with the kids in the gym. My body felt good, and my conditioning was there, so I said to myself, why not fight and let’s see how things go.”
Story & photos by Robert Hughes
For the first time in his 30 years Sergio Mora came to Texas.
“I always wanted to fight in Texas,” he said. “I think you guys have some of the best fans, not only in football, but in boxing.”
The former light middleweight world champion said he’s excited to show Texas fight fans what a tough kid from Southern California can do in the ring, and apparently Mora (22-1-2, 6 KO) feels Texans have a streak of blood lust . . . Click here for more
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.