firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Boxing Buzz
- Chris Algieri Update
- Persoon to face Prazak on Nov 11
- Rosado says he's fighting Kirkland on Nov 8
- Rivera-Ponomarev headlines Saturday on UniMas
- Saunders-Eubank grudge-match added to Fury-Chisora II
- Yusaf Mack Headlines in NJ
- Opinion: Mayweather void of killer instinct
- Cleverly-Bellew II deal close as duo prepare for epic domestic grudge match
- KO Artist Feigenbutz signs with Team Sauerland
- Boxing returns to network TV Saturday
Lightweight Kevin Mitchell (37-2, 27 KOs) will face Ghislain Maduma (16-0, 10 KOs) in a final eliminator for the IBF title on the Froch-Groves undercard at Wembley Stadium on May 31. Mitchell is gunning for a second World title tilt after facing Ricky Burns for the WBO belt in September 2012, and has since bounced back into form with four wins, three inside the distance and landing the IBF Inter-Continental crown in the process. The unbeaten Maduma is the NABF champion. The winner will be set to face IBF 135lb king Miguel Vazquez. A further allocation of tickets for the fight go on sale at midday on Thursday.
With the final April fight card in the books, it’s time to look ahead to the best action set to hit the Octagon in May, and with four fight cards – including the first doubleheader in UFC history to close out the month – there are plenty of bouts to pick from . . . Click here for more on UFC.com
. . . .
Coming up next: UFC FIGHT NIGHT is live on FOX Sports 1 on Saturday, May 10 at 10 PM ET/7 PM PT . . . Click here for more info
DiBella Entertainment and Jean Pascal Promotions have announced that they will be joining promotional forces, beginning with the exclusive signing of highly regarded super featherweight Joel Diaz Jr. (15-0, 12 KOs). Diaz Jr. had received offers from every major promotional outfit in boxing, but decided that DBE and Jean Pascal were the best fit. Diaz is set to make his much anticipated co-promotional debut when he headlines the upcoming May 16th ShoBox: The New Generation card at the Foxwoods Resort and Casino in Connecticut.
Unbeaten Aussie heavyweight Lucas “Big Daddy” Browne (20-0, 18 KOs) has yet to face a top ten fighter, but he says he’s ready to take on the winner of the upcoming WBC heavyweight title fight between Chris Arreola and Bermane Stiverne. Browne scored his biggest win to date in Sheffield, England on Saturday night by blasting out Canadian Eric Martel Bahoeli in five rounds and he’s eager for sterner tests.
“Like every heavyweight my ultimate goal is Klitschko, but I know I’ve got a few little things I need to work on before I’ll be ready for that fight,” he said. “Arreola and Stiverne are guys I’m interested in now. I think they’ve got the sort of styles that I match up well with and I think they’re both fighters I can beat. If a world title was on the line against one of them, then even better. (more…)
European promotional giants Team Sauerland will have a busy summer when it comes to the television side of the business. This year their existing deal with German television partner ARD expires and yesterday the public broadcaster announced that a decision will be taken in the summer regarding boxing and that the current deal in its existing form would not be renewed and that there would be discussions on the new format in the coming months.
German boxing made a real comeback last year and Team Sauerland was particularly beneficial to the trend with current champions Arthur Abraham, Yoan Pablo Hernandez, Marco Huck and Juergen Braehmer in their ranks. Other broadcasters have in recent times also either entered the market or consolidated their position with private broadcasters RTL showing the Klitschko fights and Pro7/Sat 1 also making a strong entry into the boxing market by signing Felix Sturm and also recently acquired the rights for the all-German showdown between Arthur Abraham and Robert Stieglitz. (more…)
By Karl Freitag
The camp of cruiserweight Guillermo Jones has been informed that if he wishes to challenge the results of his “A” sample, they must advise the WBA by next Monday (May 5) so that testing on the “B” sample can commence. If there is no challenge, the WBA will issue a resolution concerning Jones’ status. Jones tested positive for the banned substance “Furosemide” on April 23, prompting the WBA to withdraw their sanction of Jones’ world title fight with Denis Lebedev on May 25. The testing was done at a WADA-approved laboratory in Switzerland.
Jones previously tested positive for the same drug after his KO win over Lebedev in May 2013 and it took six months to resolve the issue, with Jones ultimately getting stripped and Lebedev being reinstated as WBA champion. Jones was installed as “champion in recess” and given a direct rematch with Lebedev. This time the WBA wants quick closure on the matter.
Former WBO light heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly will face Sean Corbin (17-4, 12 KOs) in his debut at cruiserweight at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff on May 1. Cleverly steps up a division and returns to the ring for the first time since August as he aims to get back on the world title trail, this time in the 200lbs division.
British boxing star Amir Khan has vowed to look his best yet despite spending the past year out the ring. The former unified light-welterweight world champion has endured a frustrating 12 months having seen his chances of fighting Floyd Mayweather disintegrate when the pound-for-pound ace opted to fight Argentine bruiser Marcos Maidana instead. Despite the setbacks, which saw Khan pass up the opportunity to take on Devon Alexander last December for the IBF welterweight title following assurances he would land ‘Money’ Mayweather, the Bolton pugilist is upbeat about his upcoming fight with the tricky southpaw Luis Collazo.
“It was a difficult time,” said Khan. “But the fact is I moved on fairly quick when I knew the Mayweather shot wasn’t happening. It was just about refocusing my mind on the next opponent and luckily we were able to announce Luis Collazo straight away which allowed me the chance to get back in the ring as soon as possible. (more…)
Photos: PR Best
WBA #10 super lightweight Michael “The Artist” Perez (20-1-1, 10 KOs) scored a ten round unanimous decision over Jorge “Koky” Romero (24-8, 21 KOs) on Monday night at the Ruben Rodriguez Coliseum in Bayamon, Puerto Rico. Perez seemed like he could have stepped on the gas and got a stoppage, but he was content to go to the scorecards for the fifth straight time. Scores were 98-92 on all three cards.
2008 Puerto Rican Olympian bantamweight McJoe Arroyo (14-0, 7 KOs) scored a one-sided eight round unanimous decision over former world title challenger David Quijano (15-5-1, 9 KOs). Arroyo had Quijano in serious trouble in round two, but had to go the full distance. Scores were 80-72, 79-73, 79-73.
Unbeaten WBC #3, IBF #11, WBO #13 featherweight Jayson “La Maravilla” Velez (22-0, 16 KOs) scored a second round TKO against Miguel “Mikito” Soto (12-3, 12 KOs). The TKO came at 2:10 after the second time Soto was sent to the canvas. Soto went to the floor one time in the first round also.
Undefeated welterweight John Karl Sosa (10-0, 6 KOs) scored an uneventful six round unanimous decision over Victor “Picu” Perez (3-2, 1 KOs). Scores were 59-55, 58-56, 58-56. photos
On Friday May 16, DiBella Entertainment in association with Jean Pascal Promotions, will return to the beautiful Foxwoods Resort Casino in Mashantucket, Conn., with a doubleheader on Showtime. Headlining the card in the 10-round main event will be highly regarded undefeated super featherweight prospect Joel Diaz Jr. (15-0, 12 KOs) taking on once-beaten Tyler Asselstine (14-1, 7 KOs).
In the co-feature, unbeaten junior middleweights collide as red-hot prospect Frank Galarza (13-0-2, 9 KOs) takes on Sebastien Bouchard (9-0, 2 KOs) in an eight rounder.
Former heavyweight contender Jameel “Big Time” McCline is running for U.S. Congress. McCline is hoping to unseat longtime Florida congressman Alcee Hastings in the Democratic primary. Hastings’ district includes the major cities of Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. “I want to be part of bringing change in the 20th District,” McCline told Sunshine State News. (Big thanks to Tina.)
Sampson Lewkowicz of Sampson Boxing has signed an exclusive Promotional contract with rising super bantamweight Jorge “Pilon” Lara (25-0-1, 17 KOs) from Guadalajara, Mexico. The 23-year-old southpaw Lara has already scored a first-round TKO over former WBC silver champion Oscar Ibarra and won the WBC FECOMBOX featherweight title with a TKO6 over then 19-1 Oscar Arenas. Lara’s first fight under the Sampson banner will be announced shortly. Other super bantamweights in Lewkowicz’s stable include IBF champion Kiko Martinez, Hugo “Cuatito” Ruiz, Oscar Escandon, Jonathan Guzman, Rocco Santomauro and Jonathan Arenas.
Boxing returns to the city of El Paso on July 18th as former heavyweight contender David “Nino” Rodriguez (36-1, 34 KOs) returns to the ring to kick off the “Southwest Fight Series,” presented by Southwest University and promoted by Pound 4 Pound in association with Nino Bravo Promotions. The popular Rodriguez, who hails from El Paso, will fight for the vacant WBC Latino Heavyweight title against a TBA in the main event.
Despite his upset loss to Darnell Wilson in his last fight, Rodriguez is still seen as a heavyweight who can make some noise in the division in large part due to his exceptional punching power. A WBC Latino Heavyweight championship is widely seen as a major step in his comeback, as it is expected to reestablish him as a contender in the WBC world rankings. (more…)
Bruce Buffer’s the prophet. In 2011, the Voice of the Octagon said in a much-repeated quote that one day, Jon Jones would be mixed martial arts’ Muhammad Ali. Folks, that day may be arriving sooner than we think, and it might even be here already. And that doesn’t have to do with his impact in the Octagon, but outside of it as well. I know putting anyone in the same sentence with “The Greatest” is blasphemy to some, but think about it. Yes, I know, Jones has not had the wide-ranging social impact Ali had in his prime, but maybe we should be thankful that there isn’t a draft that “Bones” would have to make a stand against. But he is a gifted athlete who has dominated his opposition at a high level, he’s had to bounce back from adversity in his career, and his personality has often been polarizing . . . Click here for more on UFC.com
. . . .
Coming up next: UFC FIGHT NIGHT is live on FOX Sports 1 on Saturday, May 10 at 10 PM ET/7 PM PT . . . Click here for more info
“Mayweather vs. Maidana” Fight Week kicks off Tuesday afternoon. Fight fans are invited to attend the grand arrivals at the MGM Grand Hotel Lobby. The schedule is below:
1:00 p.m. – Mayweather Promotions Stars* & Anthony Ogogo
1:30 p.m. – Marco Antonio Periban
1:40 p.m. – J’Leon Love
1:50 p.m. – Carlos Molina
2:00 p.m. – AdrienBroner
2:15 p.m. – Luis Collazo
2:30 p.m. – Amir Khan
2:45 p.m. – Marcos Maidana
3:00 p.m. – Floyd Mayweather
*Mayweather Promotions Stars: Lanell Bellows, Ashley Theophane, Andrew Tabiti & Ronald Gavril
Rey “Boom Boom” Bautista is getting attention with his training as he prepares for a comeback on May 10. More
Wladimir Klitschko eyes a return to Olympic gold at the Rio Games in 2016. More
What was boxing like back in the 1880s in Milwaukee? More
“Money” Mayweather can’t be touched, writes the Las Vegas Sun. More.
Newly crowned WBC female lightweight champion Delfine Persoon was invited today by current Belgian King Filip. The audience took place at the king’s palace in Brussels. Persoon defeated Erica Anabella Farias on points last April 20 in Zwevezele in a show promoted by her sponsor Paul Degroote. It was the first ever (full) WBC titlefight on Belgian soil and Delfine Persoon is the first ever to win a (full) WBC title. This took the attention of the King and Persoon has for sure taken a option to be Belgian sportswoman of the year 2014.
Among the delegation was Delfine’s partner-trainer Filiep Tampere and current EBU President and WBC Vice President Bob Logist.
43-year-old former WBC world champion Carlos “Tata” Baldomir (49-16-6, 15 KOs) announced his retirement after losing a ten round unanimous decision to unbeaten Russian Andrey Meryasev (16-0, 11 KOs) on Friday night in Kanasin, Yucatan, Mexico. The WBC, Argentina Boxing Federation and Fecombox had lodged objections to the fight due Baldomir’s 19 months of inactivity following his “embarrassing performance” against Marco Antonio Rubio. The bout was been sanctioned by an entity called the World Pugilism Commission.
By Mariano A. Agmi
Photos: Big Joe Miranda
WBA welterweight titlist Marcos “Chino” Maidana (35-3, 31 KOs) stars in the biggest event of the year on Saturday, May 3rd, when the Argentine slugger attempts to become the first to beat WBC welterweight champion Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr. (45-0, 26 KOs) in the professional ranks. The unification bout serves as the main event of a Showtime Pay-Per-View beginning at 9pm EST from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
“A few years ago I would have never imagined that I’d land the biggest fight in the sport,” states a confident Maidana a week from the event. “I’m very happy. I’m enjoying the moment. This is the most important fight of my career. I understand the obligations that come with it, but I’m training as hard as I can while doing what is necessary for the promotion. All of the exposure motivates me to win for Argentina.” (more…)
By Ron Jackson
Former two-time IBF junior lightweight champion Mzonke Fana retained his WBA Pan African junior lightweight title with a second round stoppage win over Temba Tshicila at the Tsolo Junction Hall in Qumbu, Eastern Cape on Saturday. The 40-year-old Fana (33-7, 14 KOs) in his twentieth as a pro was in outstanding form as came out at the opening bell and took the fight to the 38-year-old Tshicila (26-12-3, 7 KOs) scoring with stinging lefts and rights to the head. (more…)
WBA interim welterweight champion Keith “One Time” Thurman of Clearwater, Fl retained his title with a stoppage of former world champion Julio “The Kidd” Diaz of Coachella, CA at the Stub Hub Center in Carson, CA this past Saturday.
Thurman jumped on top of Diaz right away in the opening round landing a solid left uppercut backing him to the ropes and following up with a left hook. In round two Thurman boxed a bit more but his power was evident when he landed some thumping punches on Diaz early in the round. Later in the round Thurman connected with a left uppercut that rocked Diaz into the ropes. Thurman jumped on his opponent drilling a left hook to the top of the head as Diaz went down. Diaz came out aggressively in round three as Thurman boxed while continuing to land big punches. Surprisingly Diaz did not come out for round four as he appeared to have suffered a rib injury. Referee Jack Reiss stopped the fight upon the advice from the corner . . . click here for more
Puerto Rican prospect and former 2012 Olympian flyweight Jantony Ortiz landed in L.A to begin his training camp together with the six-time trainer of the year Freddie Roach and conditioning trainer Gavin MacMillan. Jantony will make his expected pro-debut on Saturday June 7 in the undercard of Cotto vs. Martinez at the Madison Square Garden in New York. “I’m very happy to be here and begin my career in the best way possible. It’s a pleasure for me to learn from Freddie. I’m willing to get the best out of him and show it to the world on June 7,” Ortiz said.
By Robert Coster
Italian great and former WBA/WBC world champion and Olympian medalist Sandro Lopopolo has passed at the age of 74. Lopopolo won a lightweight silver medal at the Rome Olympics in 1960, then as a pro he won the WBA/WBC jr welterweight title with a 15 round decision over Carlos Hernandez in 1966. He lost the title to Paul Takeshi Fuji in 1967. Lopopolo retired with a record of 59-10-7, 20 KOs. The southpaw stylist was part of “the golden era” of Italian boxing with the likes of Nino Benvenuti, Sandro Mazzinghi, Bruno Arcari and Carmelo Bossi. RIP Champ.
By Robert Hughes at Ringside
Photos By John Escobar III
Tony Mack and James “Boogie” Freeman got it on nicely Saturday night for eight rounds of super middleweight action stealing Standing 8 Promotions’ uneven eight-fight marathon at the Amon Carter Exhibit Hall in Fort Worth, Texas.
The favored Mack pushed and pounded a tough and heavy-handed Freeman all around the ring all night but paid the price repeatedly for his unanimous decision victory in a co-main event that featured Juan- Antonio ‘Tony’ Lopez keeping his unbeaten streak alive with an anti-climatic WBC Intercontinental title bout. Mack scored the unanimous-decision win pushing his record to 10-1-0 [without a knockout] while sending Freeman, who said he lost 30-40 pounds prior the this bout, to his third straight loss. (more…)
In a surprise, featherweight Ruben Tamayo (23-5-3, 15 KOs) won an eight round majority decision against Efrain Esquivias (17-3-1, 10 KOs) on Friday night at the Doubletree Hotel in Ontario, Calif. Esquivias, who was coming off a ninth round knockout victory over Mexican legend Rafael Marquez in September, had problems with Tamayo’s height, timely combinations and better defense. Scores were 78-74, 76-76, 77-75.
In the co-feature, welterweight Giovani Santillan (12-0, 7 KOs) outpointed previously unbeaten Daniyar Ganyk (10-1, 4 KOs). Scores were 78-74 all around.
Also, lightweight prospect Jose Roman (16-1-1, 12 KOs) KO’d Lauro Alcantar (8-2, 1 KO) with a left hook to the body in the opening round.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.