Boxing news, results, rankings, schedule and more. Boxing News -- 24 hours/day - Reload often! | UPDATED TODAY
editor@fightnews.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
var ord = window.ord || Math.floor(Math.random() * 1e16); document.write('
Home Boxing Schedule Boxing Rankings Boxing Results Fightnews Team
Pacquiao floors Algieri six times, wins unanimous decision

Pacquiao floors Algieri six times, wins unanimous decision

Photos: Chris Farina / Top Rank WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao (57-5-2, 38 KOs) scored a one-sided unanimous decision over previously unbeaten ...

>> continued

Miura, Gonzalez impressively keep WBC belts

Miura, Gonzalez impressively keep WBC belts

By Joe Koizumi Photos by Naoki Fukuda Japanese southpaw Takashi Miura (28-2-2, 21 KOs), 130, impressively kept his WBC super-featherweight belt as he dropped ...

>> continued

World title twinbill in Japan today

World title twinbill in Japan today

By Joe Koizumi Photos by Naoki Fukuda A couple of WBC world title bouts will take place in Japan today (Saturday), and fight fans ...

>> continued

Update: Algieri makes weight for Pacquiao clash

Update: Algieri makes weight for Pacquiao clash

Photos: Chris Farina/Top Rank Manny Pacquiao 143.8 vs. Chris Algieri 144.4 (WBO welterweight championship) Algieri initially weighed 144.4, stripped naked and weighed 144.2. He eventually ...

>> continued

More Camera Clicks from Macau

More Camera Clicks from Macau

Photos: Chris Farina - Top Rank Superstar Manny Pacquiao and New York's undefeated (20-0) WBO Jr. Welterweight champion Chris "Real Rocky" Algieri ...

>> continued

Pacquiao floors Algieri six times, wins unanimous decision

Pacquiao floors Algieri six times,

1
Miura, Gonzalez impressively keep WBC belts

Miura, Gonzalez impressively keep WBC

2
World title twinbill in Japan today

World title twinbill in Japan

3
Update: Algieri makes weight for Pacquiao clash

Update: Algieri makes weight for

4
More Camera Clicks from Macau

More Camera Clicks from Macau

5


Boxing news moves fast. Click here to refresh the page
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.

Boxing News

Arena wins purse bid

Promoter Ahmet Oner has shocked Sauerland Event by winning today’s purse bid for the intercontinental middleweight championship between Sauerland’s prospect Dominik Britsch and former i/c champion Benjamin Simon at the IBF office in New Jersey. Oner’s winning bid was $183,000 while Sauerland was hoping to get the nod with $131,400. “We had told Sauerland before that we have investors in Turkey who are interested in this bout,” says Oner. “We made them a very good offer but they refused because they said that they don’t want to fight in Turkey. I guess now they have to… Our date is set for March 9th in my hometown Tekirdag.”

Benjamin Simon and his trainer and manager Robert Rolle were happy with the purse bid result as well. “Actually we don’t care where we fight – as long as we get our hands on Britsch,” states Rolle. “We were preparing for February 25th and we were ready to fight at their show. But, of course, this is even better for us. Going to Turkey with Ahmet is like a home fight for us and we will take the belt from Britsch. We thank Ahmet and ARENA for their support and their trust in us.”

Eurosport will broadcast the show live on March 9th from Tekirdag.



January 24th, 2012



Boxing News

Arce could fight ten-rounder in February

By Gabriel F. Cordero

Multi-division world champion Jorge “Travieso” Arce may only fight a ten-round bout on February 18th in Durango, Mexico, because he has been unable to find a world-rated challenger to to make the first defense of his WBO bantamweight title. The WBO has already rejected Lorenzo Parra, Giovannu Andrade and William Prado. Sources say Arce will take a ten round fight and then take aim the winner of next Saturday’s fight between Nonito Donaire and Wilfredo Vazquez Jr for his former WBO super bantamweight world title. Arce will be in attendance at the fight.



January 24th, 2012

Boxing News

Andrade set to take on Ennis

Photo: Star Boxing

Undefeated 2008 U.S. Olympian Demetrius “Boo Boo” Andrade (15-0, 10 KOs) believes his February 10 main-event fight against Derek “Pooh” Ennis (23-3-1, 13 KOs) for the vacant NABO junior middleweight title, is a continuation of a well designed plan, eventually landing him a world title fight later this year or in early 2013.

Andrade believes he has been unfairly tabbed a safety-first fighter. “Sometimes, it’s funny to me that, when I win by a decision, some people get mad because I didn’t knockout my opponent,” Andrade explained. “But they still get mad when I win by knockout. Whenever I fight, I bring a different look and nobody can say I don’t. I beat (Grady) Brewer with my jab and I went to (Saul) Duran’s body with power punches until he quit. Each and every fight, I’m better, stronger – stepping-up against better competition – and I’m still winning.” (more…)



January 24th, 2012

Boxing News

Sulaiman: Chavez not scared of Martinez

WBC President Jose Sulaiman says WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez is getting a bad rap. “Yesterday I spent several hours on Twitter and I sensed the negative effects on the Mexican fans produced by press releases of promoters saying that Chavez Jr. will fight against several boxers if he beats Marco Antonio Rubio, which is already a very tough fight. As President of the WBC and close friend of Julio Cesar Chavez Sr and his sons, I wish to emphasize that Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is in no way scared of Sergio Martinez. I know Chavez. I know he has the same brave heart just like his father. He’s a great boxer with power in his fists and he’s a Mexican idol, so let’s stop these attacks in regards that he doesn’t want to face his mandatory bout. The bout next February 4th between Julio Cesar and Marco Antonio Rubio will be a great bout full of courage and honor. With all respect to the Mexican fans, I inform you that Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has never said that he won’t face Martinez. He has even said that he’s willing to face any boxer because he is a WBC world champion and he will prove it against anybody.”



January 24th, 2012

Boxing News

Salgado-Honorio for IBF title in April

By Gabriel F. Cordero

IBF super featherweight world champion Juan Carlos Salgado (24-1-1, 16 KOs) will defend his crown against his Mexican compatriot Martin Honorio (32-6-1, 16 KOs) in April at a venue to be determined. According to the IBF ratings Honorio will be the mandatory challenger of Salgado. Salgado’s last fight was in December 2011 making the first defense of his crown against Miguel Beltran Jr. That bout ended in a no contest after an accidental head butt in the second round. “I was informed about Martin Honorio will be my next opponent and we are already training for my next defense,” said Salgado. “I’m looking for big things in boxing and I must fight the best opponents.”



January 24th, 2012

Feature Story

Santana headlines Feb 24 in Dover

By Rick Scharmberg

WBA #12-ranked Edgar “El Chamaco” Santana (26-3, 17 KOs) will defend his NABA light welterweight title against Manuel Perez (16-7-1, 4 KOs) in the ten round main event on Friday, February 24 at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino in Dover, Delaware. In the co-feature, “Mighty” Mike Tiberi (18-1, 7 KOs) will take part in an eight round bout for the vacant WBF intercontinental super middleweight title against an opponent to be announced shortly. Santana, who is riding a 5-bout win streak, owns a win over world-rated Josesito Lopez, while Perez once fought recent world champion Brandon Rios to a ten round majority draw. Dover Downs Hotel & Casino is the show’s promoter.

The 33-year-old Santana will be fighting for the second time at the venue’s Rollins Center. (more…)



January 24th, 2012

Boxing News

NBC Sports Network Fight Night Photogallery/Full Report

Ringside Report: Rick Scharmberg and Kurt Wolfheimer
Photos: Tri Nguyen/Tri Nguyen Photography

Bryant “Bye-Bye” Jennings (12-0, 5 KOs) took a unanimous ten round decision over fellow prospect Maurice “Freight Train” Byarm (13-1-1, 9 KOs) to win the vacant Pennsylvania State heavyweight title at the Asylum Arena in Philadelphia, PA. Jennings fought a tactical fight, boxing with movement, and unloading heavy combinations when the time was right. Byarm had his moments, but Jennings prevailed by scores of 97-93 and 96-94 (twice). In the co-feature, “King” Gabriel Rosado (19-5, 11 KOs) scored the biggest win of his career, stopping Jesus Soto-Karass (24-7-3, 16 KOs) at 2:06 of the fifth round of a scheduled ten round junior middleweight contest. Soto-Karass was taking heavy punishment along the ropes when referee Steve Smoger called a halt. The card was promoted by Main Events, in association with Peltz Boxing and Greg Cohen Promotions. (More)



January 24th, 2012

Boxing News

Povetkin-Huck winner to fight Rahman

By Gabriel F. Cordero

On Monday in Panama City, representatives of mandatory challenger Hasim Rahman and Alexander Povetkin/Marco Huck met in the WBA offices in Panama and resolved the situation involving Hasim Rahman. As scheduled, Huck will go to the ring on Feb. 25 against Russian WBA champ Alexander Povetkin in the Porsche-Arena, Stuttgart, Germany.

The meeting was held in the Panama office of the WBA with International Manager Ricardo Rizzo, WBA president Gilberto Mendoza, promoters Gregory Cohen (GCP LLP) and Chris Meyer (Sauerland Event) and Gilberto Jesus Mendoza WBA Vice Executive President. It was agreed that the winner of the Povetkin-Huck fight must face Rahman within a period not to exceed 120 days.



January 23rd, 2012

UFC

UFC on FOX event in Chicago is sold-out!

The Ultimate Fighting Championship® announced today that its event on Saturday, Jan. 28 at the United Center in Chicago is officially sold out. The UFC’s long-awaited return to the Windy City is headlined by a light heavyweight No. 1 contender fight between former champion Rashad Evans and unbeaten Phil Davis. In addition, middleweight contenders Chael Sonnen and Michael Bisping collide for the right to fight champion Anderson Silva later this year, while Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu ace Demian Maia meets red-hot 185-pound prospect Chris Weidman. (more…)



January 23rd, 2012

Boxing News

Rossel-Rodriguez for WBA belt in Mexico?

By Gabriel F. Cordero

One source has indicated the possibility that Peruvian Alberto Rossel (27-8, 13 KOs) will be the challenger of WBA interim light flyweight world champion Jose Rodriguez (28-0, 17 KOs) with a date and venue to be confirmed. For Rodriguez, it would be his first defense of the WBA title won by split decision last November in Mexico against the Thai Nethra Sasiprapa. For Rossel is his second title shot, previously losing by TKO9 against champ Hugo Cazarez in October 2010 in Mexico.

Rossel is the fourth Peruvian to try for a world title, following Orlando Romero, Oscar Rivadeneyra and Luis Ibanez. So far, Peru has no male world champion in its history but does have a female world champion in WBA super featherweight beltholder Kina Malpartida.



January 23rd, 2012

Feature Story

Fonfara will go for USBO belt March 17

By Przemek Garczarczyk
Photo: Justine Jachna/Team Fonfara

Undefeated as a light heavyweight (eight fights, eight KOs) Andrzej ‘Polish Prince’ Fonfara (20-2, 11 KOs) has promised that 2012 will be a breakthrough year. Fonfara, currently #9 in the WBO rankings, also wants to have chance to fight for the vacant IBO light heavyweight title. “There’s a real chance for Andrew to fight for the IBO title this year,” said Marek Fonfara, Andrzej’s brother, who is also the Polish 24-year-old’s manager. “This is why we decided to upgrade our next event. On March 17 in the UIC Pavilion in Chicago, Andrzej will be fighting for IBO/USBO title. In the next couple of days, we will make an announcement about his opponent. March 17 is the most important fight in Andrzej’s young career. He understands that very well.” (more…)



January 23rd, 2012

Boxing News

Kameda to face Ruiz later this year

At the conclusion of a private meeting held at the classic and antique Geneve Hotel in Mexico City, Sampson Lewkowicz of Sampson Boxing and promoter Shiro Kameda of Kameda Promotions have announced that power-punching WBA Interim Bantamweight Champion Hugo “Cuatito” Ruiz (29-1, 26 KOs) will face WBA Bantamweight World Champion Koki Kameda in a title fight showdown later this year. The agreement, which already has the full blessing of the WBA, stipulates that each fighter will first make an interim title defense. Ruiz’s fight is scheduled for March 17. Kameda will fight in April 2012.



January 23rd, 2012

Boxing News

Chilemba ready for war with Miranda

When South Africa’s world ranked light heavyweight contender, Isaac “Golden Boy” Chilemba (18-1-1, 9 KOs), steps in the ring on February 3 against Edison “Pantera” Miranda (35-6, 30 KO’s), he’s going to have bad intentions on his mind. Chilemba, DiBella Entertainment’s rising star, went on to say, “I have a great deal of respect Edison Miranda, he’s a worthy opponent, but I’m coming to make a statement come fight night. There is no room for error, and I’m not going to leave it up to the judges to decide the outcome. Make no mistake about it…I’m gunning for a knockout.” (more…)



January 23rd, 2012

Feature Story

Full Report: Ponce De Leon-Estrella

Story and photos by Felipe Leon

Golden Boy Promotions in association with Erik Morales’ Box Latino presented an exciting night of action last Saturday night in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico, as former super bantamweight world champion Daniel Ponce de Leon (42-4, 35KOs) brutally battered over matched Omar “Dinamita” Estrella (15-4-2, 10KOs) en route to a sixth round knock out win in the main event of the “Batalla En La Bahia (Battle at the Bay)” held at the brand new venue “Bodega del Boxeo”. With the win, Ponce de Leon captured the vacant WBC USNBC featherweight title. Over fifteen hundred fight fans filled the restored where house to the brink as they enjoyed a nine bout fight card. The event was televised live in Mexico by Televisa. (more…)



January 23rd, 2012

Boxing News

Mendez back in action

By Francisco Salazar

Looks like super featherweight contender Argenis Mendez will return to the ring on Saturday, February 11th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, NV, promoter Lou DiBella confirmed to Fightnews.com on Saturday afternoon. The Dominican-born Mendez (19-2, 10 KO’s) is currently training at the Robert Garcia Boxing Academy in Oxnard, CA. Mendez challenged for a vacant world title bout in September against Juan Carlos Salgado, losing a controversial 12 round unanimous decision in a bout a majority of the press saw him win. In his last bout in November, Mendez stopped Alex Perez in the second round of a scheduled 10 round bout. Mendez will appear on the undercard of the Victor Ortiz-Andre Berto welterweight showdown, which will be co-promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and DiBella Entertainment. No opponent has been announced yet for Mendez. The bout will more than likely be televised on the Showtime Extreme channel.



January 23rd, 2012

Boxing News

Ex-champion Brähmer ready for return

As of Monday’s press conference, former WBO light heavyweight Champion Jürgen Brähmer (36-2, 29 KOs) is still scheduled to fight on Saturday at the Grand Elysee Hotel in Hamburg, Germany. After 18 months out of the ring and three late title defense cancellations in a row that led to him being stripped of his world title, Brähmer says he’s now ready to rumble. “The preparation was better than expected, and I’ve kept fit the whole time. Of course, the first week of sparring was a bit bumpy. I initially wanted to work with a lot of power, but then the timing quickly got better.”

Despite all the anguish of the recent cancellations, promoter Universum has extended Brähmer’s contract. “I am really glad and proud that Jürgen boxes with us,” said CEO Waldemar Kluch.



January 23rd, 2012

Boxing News

Sosa-Uicab WBC eliminator on April 7

By Robert Coster

Photo: Erik Estrella

Former world champion Edgar Sosa (44-7, 27 KOs) squares off with Wilbert Uicab (33-6-1, 18 KOs) in an all-Mexican showdown at the Grand Oasis Hotel in Cancun on April 7th. The fight is being billed as a WBC flyweight title eliminator between WBC #2 and WBC flyweight International beltholder Sosa and WBC #5 and WBC silver titlist Uicab. Says co-promotor Ricardo Maldonado, “This bout is between two very talented boxers and it promises to be a real, all-out Mexican war that is as good as any world title fight. In fact, this bout is more competitive than many world title fights today.” (more…)



January 23rd, 2012

Boxing News

George-Rodriguez replaces Andy Lee

In a very intriguing matchup between world ranked super middleweights Donovan George (22-1, 19 KOs) and Edwin Rodriguez (20-0, 14 KOs) will square off March 17th. The bout will be the HBO opener 10 or 12 rounds prior to the Sergio Martinez vs Matthew Macklin St. Patrick’s Day main event in Madison Square Garden, New York, New York. Middleweight Andy Lee was originally slated to open the telecast, but pulled out to seek a possible world title shot. On paper, George-Rodriguez seems like for sure fireworks as both are decent punchers. And, both fighters are expected to sell a lot of tickets with George being of Irish decent and Rodriguez of Dominican.



January 23rd, 2012

Feature Story

Inside the Kelly Pavlik camp

Report and photos by Francisco Salazar

Former unified middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik, who has battled personal problems within the last year, hopes a change of scenery will allow him to focus on boxing again and hopefully pursue another shot at a world title belt. That change of scenery is far away from the familiar surroundings of his hometown of Youngstown, OH, where some say have contributed to his recent troubles. Instead, he traveled westward to Oxnard, CA, where he has been training at the Robert Garcia Boxing Academy since last Monday.

Unlike Youngstown, OH, Pavlik could blend in with the almost 200,000 people that call Oxnard home. Whereas Pavlik may be the main sports story in his hometown, he could take a back seat to other well-known fighters in Ventura County, such as Sergio Martinez, Brandon Rios, and Victor Ortiz. Not to mention the top high school soccer programs in Oxnard, which have dominated the local sports pages in recent weeks.

Pavlik (37-2, 32 KOs) can live with that. (more…)



January 23rd, 2012

Boxing News

Muhammad Ali and the First Amendment

By David L. Hudson Jr.

The incomparable Muhammad Ali, former three-time world heavyweight champion, just turned 70. A cultural icon on a global scale, Ali transcends sports. But he’s more than a popular former champion and world hero. He and his life story exemplify the freedoms found in the First Amendment. Ali freely exercised his religious faith. He regularly spoke provocatively on a variety of topics. The press was abuzz with coverage and criticism. Thousands assembled in support of him, and the champion himself took part in rallies, parades and marches. Some petitioned the government to redress the injustice of his conviction for refusing military service, which resulted in his being exiled from the boxing ring for his beliefs. (More)



January 23rd, 2012




All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.










+1 us on