email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Weights from San Diego
- Boxing returns to historic Maple Leaf Gardens Saturday
- Boxing Buzz
- Olympian Dogboe making U.S. debut
- Korobov-Lee added to Dec 13 Bradley-Chaves card
- Weights from Fort Washington, MD
- Weights from Somerset, NJ
- Former IBF President Hiawatha Knight Passes
- USA Olympian Jose Ramirez ready for his biggest fight this Saturday
- Undefeated Glenn Dezurn ready for Chacon
- UFC 179 Main Card Fantasy Preview
When talking about his first round submission win over Dustin Hazelett last December, lightweight contender Mark Bocek chuckles when he says “I wish they could all go like that fight,” yet he’s quick to qualify that statement with “but obviously they can’t.” . . . . Click here for more by Thomas Gerbasi, UFC.com
For more info on UFC 129 or on the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
By Ron Jackson
Anton Nel and Wiseman Dlomo clash for the vacant South African heavyweight title at the Olive Convention Centre in Durban on Friday night in what could possibly be one of the poorest heavyweight match-ups in recent years. The 42-year-old Nel and Dlomo will fight each other for the third time. The vacant SA title is at stake. Nel has a professional record of 16 wins, 12 by knockout, 11 defeats and 3 draws. Dlomo has a reported record of 7-8-2, 7 KOs. Spectators who attend the tournament will therefore not expect much from the main bout.
In their first fight, also in Durban, on December 7, 2002, Nell was in control before the fight was declared a technical draw in the fifth round. Dlomo was cut in a clash of heads and was unable to continue. In the return match, in Giyani on July 26, 2003, Nel dominated before stopping the overweight Dlomo 2 minutes 38 seconds into the sixth round. (more…)
The Super Six World Boxing Classic semi-final clash between WBA Super-Middleweight Champion Andre Ward and former tournament point leader King Arthur Abraham will be called off – if the Californian Boxing Commission refuses to honour an existing agreement over neutral officials. “Contrary to what has been previously agreed on, the Californian Commission all of a sudden insists on installing a Californian judge as well as a Californian referee. That is totally unacceptable,” Hall-of-Fame-Promoter Wilfried Sauerland said. “This turnaround comes as a huge and unpleasant surprise. Two months ago, everybody involved agreed that this tremendous fight would be served by neutral officials. We agreed to have one judge from California, one from Europe and one from neither Europe nor the US. The referee is supposed to be neither American nor European either. Unless this issue is sorted, King Arthur will not leave the country. We have put his flights on hold.” (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
The city of Durango in Mexico has been announced as the host city for “Desafiando al Campeon” where three-time world champion Cristian “Diamante” Mijares (41-6-2, 18 KOs) will defend his IBF super flyweight belt for the first time against Raúl “Cobra “Martínez (28-1, 16 KOs) on May 14 at the Palenque de la Feria Nacional de Durango. Frenchman Malik Bouziane had previously been mentioned as the likely opponent for Mijares, however it was decided that Mijares would instead go into his mandatory defense. (more…)
Photos: Pete Susens/Top Rank
WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao looked sharp Tuesday in a hard workout with Raymundo Beltran and Shawn Porter under the watchful eye of trainer Freddie Roach at The Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, California.
Pacquiao will appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Thursday night on ABC, beginning at 12:05 a.m. ET/PT. This is Pacman’s fourth appearance of the show.
Earlier that same day Pacman will release his first U.S. single CD/DVD of Sometimes When We Touch, the 1977 chart-topping hit. Pacquiao recorded the song with the same production team, including songwriter and original singer Dan Hill, and producers Matthew McCauley and Fred Mollin. Available on iTunes and Amazon.com, a preview of Pacquiao’s latest recording can be heard at www.mannysings.com
The highly anticipated episode three of FIGHT CAMP 360°: Pacquiao-Mosley will air This Saturday! April 30 on CBS at 8 p.m. ET/PT. (more…)
By Ron Jackson
Sizwe Sinyabi from East London will defend his South African junior flyweight title against mandatory challenger Monwabisi Ngundwana of Port Elizabeth at the City Hall in Port Alfred on Saturday. Sinyabi (19-8-2, 9 KOs) who is trained by Nick Durandt will be making the first defence of his title that he won on July 16 last year when he outpointed Mfundo Gwayana over 12 rounds in Port Elizabeth. Ngundwana who has a reported record of 9-3, 6 KOs has come off two good wins in 2010, against Thabo Sishwana (ko 1) and Zamuxolo Lukwe (TKO 4). Trainer Mzwandile Sidina is confident that Ngundwana has the tools to dethrone the champion. The tournament will be presented by the Ndlambe Municipality and promoter Gladys Tsenene of Rainbow Boxing Promotions.
South Africa’s Andrew Smale departs on Wednesday for France where he will be the supervisor for the vacant WBO Africa heavyweight title fight in Pontault Combault, Seine-et-Marne between Carlos Takam 22-1-0 from the Cameroon and Gbenga Oloukun 19-6 of Nigeria. The Nigerian who is based in Hamburg, Germany has had all his fights in Europe.
SA Boxing has received no bids from promoters to stage the SA mini-flyweight title fight between champion Tshepo Lefele and Siviwe Ntshiko. Promoters have also not shown interest in presenting fights between champion Tshepo Mashego and Page Tshesane for the SA junior middleweight title and between champion Xolani Sifama and Doctor Ntsele for the SA flyweight title. Ntshiko, Tshesane and Ntsele are all mandatory challengers. If no promoter is willing to present a fight, Boxing SA may order a champion to defend his title without payment in a gymnasium or another suitable venue. If the champion refuses or neglects to defend his belt, Boxing SA may declare the title vacant.
Irish middleweight contender Andy Lee’s opponent has been named for his Wednesday, May 18, main event at Hitz Boxing’s “Rosemont Rumble” at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois. Lee (25-1, 19 KOs) will face tough veteran Alex “The Technician” Bunema (31-7-2, 17 KOs) in a 10-round battle for the NABF Middleweight Championship. (more…)
The opening bout of Gary Shaw Production’s outstanding “Showdown in the Valley”, a ShoBox: The New Generation tripleheader broadcast from the Chumash Casino Resort in Santa Ynez, California, on June 10 has been announced. In a battle of unbeaten junior lightweights, Albuquerque, New Mexico’s Archie Ray Marquez will face Glendale, California, via Gyumri, Armenia’s Art “Lionheart” Hovhannesyan in an eight-rounder
29-year-old Hovhannesyan (13-0-1, 7 KOs) returned from 10 months off to score an impressive TKO 5 over veteran Jose Alfredo Lugo on the undercard of his countryman Vic Darchinyan’s victory over Yonnhy Perez at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles on April 23. 22-year-old Marquez (12-0, 8 KOs) was last seen scoring a unanimous eight-round decision over Las Vegas native Johnny Frazier at the Santa Ana Star Casino in Bernalillo, New Mexico on April 2.
Hovhannesyan vs. Marquez will serve as the televised opener in a night that features some of the most exciting prospects in boxing including bantamweight power puncher Chris Avalos and cruiserweight smasher Lateef “Power” Kayode in separate bouts. (more…)
By Raymond Mares
The “Duke City Showdown” countdown has now officially begun. With one card left to be filled, the event’s headliner, Holly Holm (29-1-3, 7 KOs) said she is ready to show her fans even more than they have seen before.
Holm’s next opponent, Cindy “Checkmate” Serrano (15-3-1, 7 KOs) was announced today at Route 66 but was unable to attend due to airline delays, said Lenny Fresquez, the fight’s promoter. Serrano was en route to the press conference and was still scheduled to make appearances with local television stations by the end of the day. (more…)
Some fighters say that being in the UFC Octagon for the first time makes you feel like your heart just stopped. Sean Pierson felt like his was beating out of his chest . . . . Click here for more by Thomas Gerbasi, UFC.com
For more info on UFC 129 or on the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
On Saturday, boxers Librado Andrade, Enrique Ornelas and Randy Caballero will be on hand at a public appearance at the La Quinta, Calif. Home Depot from 12:00pm to 2:00pm PT where they will sign autographs, pose for photos and talk with fans in attendance. All three will be in action on May 6 at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino. Brothers Andrade and Ornelas will to fight on the same card for the first time in over six years (the last time was December 16, 2004 at the Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles) on TeleFutura’s “Sólo Boxeo.” Andrade (29-3, 22 KO’s) faces Aaron Pryor, Jr. (15-3, 11 KO’s) in a 10-round light heavyweight main event while younger brother Ornelas (30-7, 20 KO’s) will fight an opponent to be announced in the eight round light heavyweight co-feature. Coachella’s undefeated junior featherweight star, Caballero (9-0, 5 KO’s) will face an opponent to be determined in a six round fight.
Promoters Javier Bustillo, Gary Shaw and Lou DiBella have announced the signing of the Puerto Rican 140-pound prospect Hector “El Flaco” Sanchez (19-1, 9 KOs). Sanchez has victories over Mexican standout Albert Rodriguez and DeMarcus “Chop Chop” Corley among others. ‘El Flaco’ will appear on one of two shows being presented by Universal Promotions, Gary Shaw Productions and DiBella Entertainment on June 10th or 11th in New York City, on the weekend of the Puerto Rican Day Parade.
Photos and report by Pepe Rodriguez/WBC
In a special ceremony the WBC president Jose Sulaiman gave the popular fighter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez from Mexico his green and gold belt that proved his super welterweight championship. At the same time Saul Alvarez gave to Jose Sulaiman the pants and the robe that he used when he was crowned super welterweight world champion against Matthew Hatton from England, and said that his clothing was very valuable for him but he gave them to the WBC because of the support of this organization in his boxing career. Click here for more photos…
WBC light flyweight world champion Gilberto Keb Baas vs. Adrian Hernandez headlines a card on Saturday night at the Coliseo de la Feria de Texcoco in Texcoco, Estado Mexico, Mexico, presented by Golden Boy Promotions in association with Grupo Publica and Pepe Gomez. In the co-featured bout of the evening, Mexico City’s undefeated top prospect Marco Antonio Periban will face Argentine Jose Alberto Clavero. The Televisa broadcast in begins at 10:30pm CT. Doors open at 6:00 pm CT and the first bell rings at 7:00 pm CT.
Fight fans in the United States will be able to watch the April 30 world title fight thanks to a newly formed relationship between Golden Boy Promotions and AT&T. AT&T is exclusively delivering the series across three screens (TV, Online and Mobile) to AT&T U-verse members. Beginning April 30, fans can access boxing from Mexico on the screen of their choice, with fights on AT&T U-verse® TV, U-verse Online at www.att.net/boxeoand, for subscribers to the U-verse Live TV mobile application, on qualifying mobile phones. The April 30 U-verse broadcasts will air live at 9:30pm ET/6:30pm PT.
By Andreas Hale
(On Why People Still Watch Shane Mosley)
“People see my power and they know it will be an exciting fight. When opponents get past the power they think they can win. The fans choose to see knockouts. This fight is very risky for Pacquiao to fight someone with power in both hands like myself. People want to see who’s going to get knocked out in this one. The unpredictability in the fight is what gets a rise out of people around the world, anything can happen.”
(On Pacquiao’s Speed)
“I look at the Margarito fight and he landed the most punches ever on Pacquiao but Margarito couldn’t land those punches on me. If Margarito could hit Pacquiao, then I know that Pacquiao isn’t too fast for me.”
(On Being The Underdog)
“They said Margarito was going to kill me. People said they were scared for my health and all that crap. I had about three different things going on in my life including the divorce. But I just listened to myself and came out with the victory.”
Trainer Nazeem Richardson
(On Mosley’s Age)
“We keep counting these older fighters out. These aren’t old fighters, these are legends. Even when Michael Jordan slowed down he could still make the starting five on most NBA teams today. When special gets old, he can still be extraordinary.”
(On Preparing For Pacquiao’s Offensive Onslaught)
“I have to prepare for a defensive fighter with everyone he fights. When Shane cracks you, you become a defensive fighter. Look at what happened when Floyd got rocked. They have to all be aware of Shane Mosley’s power. So we prepare for the offensive to turn defensive.”
(Comparing Mosley & Pacquiao’s power)
“I felt that Pacquiao would beat Margarito by decision. Margarito has an exceptional chin. But I also felt that Shane was going to knock him out and he did. The damage he can do is limitless. There’s nothing he can do to another opponent that we’ll be surprised at.”
Countdown to UFC 129 Premieres Tonight: GSP and Jake Shields continue their journey to a welterweight title bout in Toronto, Jose Aldo and Mark Hominick get ready to do battle for the featherweight championship, and Randy Couture prepares to take on The Dragon, Lyoto Machida – tonight at midnight on SPIKE
All New Start Time This Saturday For UFC 129 – 9pm ET / 6pm PT: The action begins this Saturday at 9pm ET / 6pm PT live on Pay-Per-View – also available on UFC.TV
Last Chance To Purchase Discounted UFC Fan Expo Tickets: Time is running out to purchase discounted tickets to the UFC Fan Expo in Toronto. Ticket prices will increase on-site. Don’t wait, head to ufcfanexpo.com now!
Who You Got? Pick St-Pierre or Shields at the Official UFC 129 Site: Weigh-in on who you think will win in Toronto – plus fight card breakdown, video previews and more!
All pro Baltimore Ravens defensive back Tommy Zbikowski passed a drug test today at a certified lab in Chicago. The results of the test have been forwarded to the Chickasaw Nation Boxing Commission as requested, and Tommy Z is expected to be cleared and OK’d to resume his boxing career immediately. Zbikowski’s original test was apparently positive for marijuana.
Photo: Miguel Salazar
Unbeaten prospect Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin (23-0, 17 KOs), breaks camp today at Big Bear and arrives tomorrow in Reno for Friday night’s showdown against past world title challenger Jesse Brinkley (35-6, 22 KOs) in the 10 round main event, airing live on Telefutura, for the vacant USBO super middleweight championship. Find training camp notes and quotes from the 27-year-old Quillin, who was born in Chicago, raised in Grand Rapids, and moved a year ago from Brooklyn to Los Angeles… (more…)
By Ray Wheatley–World of Boxing
Former WBC, WBA, IBF, light heavyweight champion Antonio “Magic Man” Tarver (28-6, 19 KOs) is confident he will defeat IBO cruiserweight champion Danny “Green Machine” Green (31-3, 27 KOs) when they clash for the championship over twelve rounds on July 20 at the Sydney Entertainment Center in Sydney, NSW, Australia. Both Green, 38 years and Tarver, 42 years hold the distinction of stopping boxing legend Roy Jones, Jr. Tarver doing the job in two rounds back in 2004 with Green stopping him in round one in 2009. For more details and photos click here…
The biggest weekend in the history of the Ultimate Fighting Championship® and the sport of mixed martial arts will now feature another truly memorable event. For the first-time ever, all seven UFC® world champions will gather for a presentation at the Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto on Friday, April 29 at 3:15 p.m. ET. The event brings together the “Super 7” reigning UFC champions for a truly unique media and fan experience. (more…)
By Enrico “Erik” Crociati
Italian bantamweight titlist Rodrigo Bracco (13-3, 5 KOs) successfully retained for the first time his national belt last week at the Local Sport Hall in Agnosine, Italy, outscoring tough challenger Pio Antonio Nettuno (7-2, 1KO) after ten brounds of boxing. It was a give-and-take affair starting from the opening minute, Bracco knocked down his contender in the ninth round and got a majority decision through scores of 96-93; 95-93 and 94-94. (more…)
A total of five fighters participating on Saturday’s boxing card at the WinStar Casino in Thackerville, Oklahoma, have been suspended by the Chickasaw Nation Boxing Commission for 45 days and must provide a negative drug test from a certified lab or have “failed drug test suspended pending a hearing” placed in their FightFax record. Popular Baltimore Ravens defensive back Tommy Zbikowski is among those listed. The others include heavyweight Andy Ruiz Jr., lightweight John “Action” Jackson, lightweight Terrance Roy and light heavyweight David Robinson. Most commissions normally only test fighters participating in title fights, however for Saturday night’s card they tested all the fighters.
WBA super welterweight champion Austin Trout (22-0, 13 KOs) says he’s ready to make a statement when he defends his title for the first time on June 11 against mandatory challenger David “The Destroyer” Lopez (40-12, 23 KOs) at a site to be named in Mexico. “I’m going to pick him apart and try to discourage him with counters, and effective aggression,” said Trout, “he’s tall so I will have to use angles to get in and stay in….I feel good I’ve been training roughly a month already and just excited to get back in the ring aka my office. David Lopez is a good tough strong fighter, and I want to make a statement against him.”
Trout also had some choice words for WBC super welterweight champion Saul Alvarez. “Immediately after [me] beating his brother, Saul Alvarez challenged me to fight for my belt. I accepted then and there, although I didn’t agree to going back to Mexico to do it. After winning his WBC title over Matthew Hatton all that revenge talk stopped. I would love to fight Canelo but that wouldn’t be a good career move for him right now.”
WBA/WBO lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez, who recently passed on a bout with Erik Morales and has also so far refused to sign off on a bout against IBF jr welterweight champion Zab Judah in July, may end up getting his wish to face Manny Pacquiao. According to reports surfacing from Mexico, Top Rank has sent a proposal to Marquez for a third match with Pacquiao, with whom he has a draw and close loss against in previous bouts. The bout would take place in October. More will be determined after Pacquiao faces Shane Mosley in a big May 7 pay-per-view event.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
The name of Salvador Sanchez needs no introduction if you are a fan of Mexican boxing. Now his nephew Salvador Sanchez II is trying to follow in his footsteps. Sanchez II (22-4-3, 11 KOs), who fought last Saturday in Mexico City and won a split decision over Jose Carmona, speaks about his career and more. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.