email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Chilemba-Lepkihin Conference Call Quotes
- Broner: If I don't stop him it will be a bloody massacre
- Latest on Andrade-Lara
- Bronco Billy on boxing at 50
- Szymanski making waves in South Florida
- Parker, Pettaway ready for March 5th clash
- Glazkov reunites with old trainer for Cunningham clash
- Carl Froch "dares" Andre Ward to take rematch in Nottingham UK
- WBC Francophone ratings of March.
- Zou Shiming workout
- Amnat Ruenroeng hits Macau's Venetian
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
Photo: Thorsten Baering
European heavyweight champion Alexander Dimitrenko (30-1, 20 KOs) spoke to the press for the first time today in Hamburg since the incident last Saturday in Schwerin. The 28-year-old Universum fighter feinted in his dressing room an hour before his defense against Albert Sosnowski (46-3-1, 28 KOs).
“I am not seriously ill, thank God,” said Dimitrenko. “I’m still very angry that the fight didn’t come about. I was very well prepared, everything was perfect in training and I was really looking forward to the match. I caught an upset stomach and I had diarrhea since Tuesday. But I didn’t tell anyone. Not even my trainer. I was embarrassed and I’d deal with it by myself. I must lost a lot of electrolytes and minerals lost. And on the day of the fight I drank too little liquid, a total of only 1.5 liters. That wasn’t enough. It was my mistake, no question. I’m very annoyed about it and I’m very sorry that it happened. Too bad for the spectators and for SPORT1 who wanted to televise the fight in 3D. I have to admit this mistake and I’ll learn from my mistake. It annoys me still, but I can’t change it. I want to apologize to everyone involved. I’m really sorry. I’ll be ready to fight Sosnowski as soon as possible and I would like to thank all who have supported me in this situation, especially with my trainer, my wife and my promoter, who were still with me at night in the hospital asking about me and giving me courage.”
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Photos: Tim Barry
Two-time world champion Anthony Mundine (40-3, 24 KOs) and Australian Contender winner Garth Wood (9-1-1, 5 KOs) both weighed in for tomorrow night’s middleweight showdown at Olympic Park in Sydney, Australia. Mundine weighed in at 72.9 kilograms (160.7 lbs.), while Wood weighed 73kg (160.9 lbs.). more photos
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
IBF President Daryl Peoples paid tribute to Hall of Famer Colonel Bob Sheridan today when he learned that the boxing legend had been hospitalized due to water in the lungs and a irregular heart beat. “The Colonel Bob Sheridan has been one of the greats in boxing for many years,” Peoples said. “Bob is currently in the hospital and I want to send him well wishes on behalf of the IBF. Bob is an IBF supporter and I want him to know that we are thinking about him.” (more…)
Promoter Tuto Zabala, Jr./All star Boxing returns Friday at the Kissimmee Civic Center in Kissimmee, Florida. In the main event is a classic battle of youth vs. experience as former WBC Youth titlist Ed “The Lion” Paredes (26-3-1, 16 KOs) faces his toughest opponent in hard punching veteran Antonio Pitalua (50-4, 44 KOs) in a bout scheduled for 12 rounds with the WBO Latin Welterweight Title at stake.
Zabala and manager Walter Alvarez have announced the signing of Ukraine prospect Dmitrij Szabanyin who will make his professional debut on Friday’s show. (more…)
Telefutura’s “Sólo Boxeo” travels to Aguas Buenas, Puerto Rico on Friday where undefeated lightweight prospect Mike Perez (10-0-1, 5 KOs) will face off against Jose Hernandez (10-3, 4 KOs) and undefeated featherweight Luis “El Artesano” Cruz (16-0, 13 KOs) will take on Wilfredo Acuña (13-7, 10 KOs) in a pair of eight rounders. The card is presented by Golden Boy Promotions in association with Miguel Cotto Promociones.
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Former world championship referee Gus Mercurio sadly passed away in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Tuesday at the age of 82 years. Gus was born in Milwaulke, Wisconsin, USA on August 10, 1928 and as a teenager was a professional lightweight boxer and was also served as a Marine. He visited Australia for the 1956 Olympic Games in Melbourne and liked the place so much he made his home there. He worked as a chiropractor and later his raspy voice and energetic personality and natural acting talents had him working successfully in Australian television in several TV series including Cash and Company (1975), Tandarra (1976) also the mini series “Power Without Glory” (1976). (more…)
By Phil Doherty at the scale
Photos: Sam Cohen
Former heavyweight champion Oliver McCall (54-10, 34 KOs) outweighed and former world title challenger Fres Oquendo (32-6, 21 KO) by 31 pounds in advance of Tuesday’s crossroads clash Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Florida.
Oliver McCall 253 ¼ vs. Fres Oquendo 222 ¼
Brad Solomon 145 ½ vs. Anges Adjaho 147 ½*
Richard Abril 134 ¼ vs. Miguel Mungia 133 ½
Cedric Boswell 243 vs. Owen Beck 252 ¼
Luis Ortiz 230 ½ vs. Franciso Alvarez 228 ¼
Magamed Abdusalamov 247 ½ vs. Jerry Butler 294 ½
Yoandris Salinas 124 ¾ vs. Danny Aquino 121 ¾
Eric Leander 259 ¼ vs. Larry Slayton 236 ½
Inocente Fiz 150 1/2 ** vs. Anthony Woods 144 ½
Yasmany Consuegra 231 ½ vs. Watson Pierre 253 ¼
*Adjaho was over ½ lb. and Solomon allowed the weight for their bout.
**Fiz was over ½ lb. but made contracted weight of 150 lbs. on his second attempt.
Click here for more photos…
Photos by Dmitriy Abramov/KMG
Wladimir Klitschko and Dereck Chisora participated today in the fight week press conference in Mannheim, Germany to speak about their fight on December 11. IBF, WBO, IBO and “Ring Magazine” champion Klitschko and British and Commonwealth champion Chisora will face off next Saturday at SAP ARENA Mannheim, Germany. For more details and photos click here…
By Ricardo Conde
Photo courtesy Espinoza Boxing Club
IBF bantamweight champion Yonnhy “El Colombiano” Perez (20-0-1, 14 KOs) of Colombia takes on former bantamweight champion Joseph “King Kong” Agbeko (27-2, 22 KOs) of Ghana in a rematch this Saturday, December 11th at the Emerald Queen Casino in Tacoma, WA in the co-main event, which also features former title challenger and world-ranked bantamweight contender Abner Mares (20-0-1, 13 KOs) of Mexico taking on IBO bantamweight champion Vic “Raging Bull” Darchinyan (35-2-1, 27 KOs) with both bouts being shown live on SHOWTIME and are being co-promoted by Golden Boy Promotions, Gary Shaw Productions, Thompson Boxing Promotions and Don King Productions. In his last outing, Perez battled Abner Mares (20-0-1, 13 KOs) to a majority draw in an exciting back and forth action bout this past May at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, CA. (more…)
Photos by Wojtek Kubik
Earlier today at the Global Boxing Gym in North Bergen, NJ, Tomasz Adamek (42-1, 27KO’s) and Vinny Maddalone (33-6, 24KO’s) met face to face for the final press conference before their upcoming heavyweight title fight this Thursday at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.
Adamek: I’m excited to be returning to the Prudential Center. I have been training really hard with Roger (Bloodworth) and I feel like I’m getting better and better and learning more everyday. I know that Vinny and I are going to make a really great fight and I invite everyone to come out and enjoy it with us this Thursday night.
Maddalone: I’m ready to go and really just looking forward to putting on a great show come Thursday night. I have put a lot of work in at the gym, approximately fourteen weeks of training for this fight. As I always do I am going to give everything I have and leave it all in the ring come fight night. Tomasz is a great champion and I know that he is going to be coming ready to fight and ready to go to war. For everyone in attendance and for everyone else watching at home on TV, I promise you that you are going to see one heck of a fight come December 9th. For more details and photos click here…
Things got testy at Monday’s press conference for IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko’s title defense against Derrick Chisora in Saturday in Mannheim, Germany.
Chisora said Klitschko has fought mostly taxi drivers. “I’m young, fast and hungry. Klitschko, however, is 34 and on the way down.”
Wladimir stated that Chisora is a loser and a woman beater. “As a person, you’re terrible. I’ll send you on the way back home without a title.”
By Dave Spencer / Fightnews Canada
The WBC has appointed the ring officials for the December 18th clash between WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal and Bernard Hopkins at the Pepsi Coliseum in Quebec City, Canada and live on SHOWTIME. The referee will be Michael Albert Griffin (Canada). The judges are Claude Paquette (Canada), Daniel Van de Wiele (Belgium) and Steve Morrow (USA).
Benny Ricardo, who often works with Colonel Bob Sheridan on Integrated Sports pay-per-view telecasts, has some good news on The Colonel. “The Colonel came out of his almost comatose state. He had an irregular heartbeat and water in his lungs and pneumonia. The doctors say he will make a complete recovery…look for him to be blasting his voice again soon. I miss the heck out of my partner on the air.”
By Andreas Hale
Super lightweight contenders “Vicious” Victor Ortiz and Lamont “Havoc” Peterson hosted a media conference call today to discuss preparations for their upcoming fight on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.
On taking the fight with Ortiz: “With me I just love to fight. It doesn’t matter if it is a cab driver or a champion, I love to fight. When the opportunity comes up to fight on HBO against somebody like Victor Ortiz, of course I’m going to jump on it. It’s my job (and) there was no problem with me taking this fight. I think more fighters need to act that way. I’ll sign the paper to fight anyone.”
On Ortiz’ skill set: “Nothing worries me but of course you have to respect the fact that Victor can box. He can pretty much do it all and he does it well.”
On Peterson: “Lamont is a great fighter, it would be stupid on my end to talk bad about a great fighter.”
On Vivian Harris questioning his heart before their last fight: “I never really pay attention to what anyone says. I just take my time with things. Somebody is going to talk, I let them. I don’t say a lot. That’s not me. I was just excited to get in the ring and I was ready. I went to work and I did well.”
Colonel Bob Sheridan, the larger-than-life broadcaster who has done blow-by-blow in over 10,000 international fights, is according to Jacquie Richardson of the Retired Boxers Foundation in the hospital in an induced coma.
Heavyweight Jason “Big Six” Estrada has signed a promotional contract with Boxing 360. The 2004 U.S. Olympian recently underwent foot surgery to repair a longstanding planter ficitis problem.
Our condolences go out today to Danny Williams the former British and commonwealth champion after the loss of his father Gussy/from Jimmy Hayes
European heavyweight champion Alexander Dimitrenko collapsed in his dressing room one hour before his fight with Ablert Sosnowski would have started.
By Boxing Bob Newman
The WBC has told the camps of WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez and WBC interim middleweight champion Sebastian Zbik to initiate the free negotiations period for a fight for the undisputed WBC middleweight title. If there is no agreement between the parties, the WBC will conduct a purse offer on Friday, January 7, 2011 in Mexico City.
Ringside by Francisco Salazar & Felipe Leon
Photos by “Big” Joe Miranda
After the main event of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr-Alfonso Gomez scheduled for the “In Harm’s Way” fight card fell out some weeks ago because of a Gomez injury and then Chavez Jr. pulling out with the flu last week, Top Rank’s Bob Arum joked that the title was more than apt but for all the wrong reasons. With 2011 coming to an end, Top Rank took advantage of the date to put on a nine-bout night shock full of up-and-coming prospects and an independent PPV card that proved it did not need the “Son of a Legend” to be exciting . . . Click here for more
The public is invited to attend Tuesday’s grand arrivals at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. Victor Ortiz and Lamont Peterson will arrive at the casino’s main entrance around 11 a.m. Amir Khan and Marcos Maidana will follow around 11:15. An autograph session will follow.
With several more champions at large, the true, undisputed king of the 140-pound division might not be crowned on December 11, but fight fans are going to finally know who’s the better man after the dust clears in the long-awaited showdown between quarter-champion Amir Khan, holder of the WBA belt, and his interim-version belt-bearer, Marcos Maidana . . . Click here for more
UFC Lightweight contender Jim Miller (18-2) is looking to win a little Christmas cheer in Montreal at UFC 124 next week, when he takes on highly touted, “Breakthrough Fighter of the Year” nominee Charles Oliviera (14-0) . . . Click here for more by Mike Straka, UFC
For more info on UFC 124, visit www.UFC.com
By Graham Houston
It’s wonderful when a fight lives up to and maybe even surpasses expectations, and we had such a fight on PPV on Saturday night when Humberto Soto retained his lightweight title by outpointing a very brave and determined Urbano Antillon. Some thought that the judges’ scores were too close but the important thing is that the winner got a deserved, unanimous decision after a fight that had everything except a knockdown. I liked Soto to win the fight, as I wrote in a preview on the free site, and I even thought he could get a stoppage. Antillon fought above anything he has shown before, though, and pushed Soto hard in every one of the 12 rounds.
It seemed to me that Soto was always in front but that Antillon was never completely out of the fight. In the end, it was a one-point deduction from Antillon’s score for a low blow that decided the fight. Without the one-point deduction the fight would have been a majority draw.
I can’t avoid using a cliché — Antillon fought like a man possessed. It was as if, and I hesitate to say it, he was willing to die to win the fight. (more…)
Photos by Eroll Popova
European super welterweight champion Lukas Konecny (46-3, 22 KOs) successfully defended his belt against Hamlet Petrosyan (29-7, 10 KOs) by unanimous decision on Friday night in Prague, Czech Republic. Click here for more photos…
Empire Sports & Entertainment headed by Shelly Finkel and Prize Fight Promotions headed by Brian Young will present monthly cards on FOX Sports Net beginning with taped shows this month and moving to live telecasts in the summer. The shows will air on Thursday nights.
By Dave Spencer / Fightnews Canada
Photo: Herby Whyne
Despite a big win Friday night against local rival Sebastien Demers and headlining at the Bell Centre in Montreal Friday night, don’t expect Renan St-Juste to slow down as he inches closer to a big fight. At 38 years old, time is precious commodity that St-Juste and his promoters can’t afford to waste. The newly acquired NABO belt will put the powerful southpaw back into the rankings, albeit this time at 168 pounds as he agreed to move up to meet Demers.
It was a signature performance for St-Juste who too often has found himself without an opponent or not performing at an optimum level when given the opportunity.
Promoter Jean Bedard of Interbox knows that the time has to be now and not later for St-Juste, and is leaving the door open to both 160 and 168 pounds. “He had problems the last couple of times out, But tonight was his fight,” said Bedrard. “We have to find him a fight now. Right now!” (more…)
Photo by Stacey Rivas
Fightnews.com photographer Big Joe Miranda displays his “Photographer of the Year” award at Sunday’s WBC Legends of Boxing Museum Induction Ceremony at American Sports University in San Bernardino, California. Also on hand was WBC middleweight world champion Sergio Martinez collecting his Fighter of the Year honors. Promoter of the Year was Kenny Thompson. (more…)
By Alexey Potapov at ringside
Photos by K2 Promotions
IBO light middleweight champion Zaurbek Baysangurov (25-1, 19 KOs) scored a brutal technical knock out in the twelfth round against Colombian power puncher Richard Gutierrez (26-5-1, 16 KOs) at the Ice Palace “Terminal” in Brovari, Ukraine on Saturday night. Click here for more photos…
By Jeffery Pamungkas at ringside
Eager for a big knockout victory, something rare in his seven year title reign, WBA featherweight champion Chris John performed with the usual high standard of boxing ability that he displayed in his previous fights with Osamu Sato, Derrick Gainer, Juan Manuel Marquez, and Rocky Juarez (twice). Although winning by convincing scores of 119-109 (Sylvestre Abainza, Pinit Prayadsab) and 120-108 (Jose Ignacio Martinez) over his foe Fernando David Saucedo, John failed to utilize the weapons that have become his trademark: jabs, straight punches, excellent footwork, body movement, and fast combinations.
Perhaps having the impression that his opponent was weak, John tried to attack Saucedo from the beginning of the bout. Saucedo absorbed John’s aggressions with his excellent cover mixed with occasional counters by left hooks which many times endangered the champion. John himself missed many potential knockout punches which hit only air in almost every round for his efforts to score a clean knockout victory for his fans. (more…)
By Dave Spencer / Fightnews Canada
One defeat in 19 fights, never been stopped, promoters could have tried selling David Lemieux’s most recent victim any number of ways Friday, but thankfully chose not to. Lemieux was downgraded from headline status for his fight with Purnell Gates, giving way to a local grudge match between Renan St-Juste that was actually shorter in duration than the Lemieux debacle, but at least was a fight for as long as it lasted.
Everyone stood in unison as to the sub-standard effort put forth by Gates and hoped that some sanctions would be forthcoming by the Quebec Commission. Gates who claimed a hand injury after the first, and perhaps only, punch he threw went down twice before his corner had seen enough and made the climb up the stairs, calling off the contest at 2:50 of the second round. (more…)
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Former WBA super middleweight champion Anthony Mundine (40-3, 24KO’s) will be in action next Wednesday when he will have his last contest with an Australian opponent when he hopes to defeat the Australian 2010 super middleweight contender winner Garth Wood (9-1-,5KO’s) in a ten round middleweight bout at the Acer Arena at Homebush, Sydney, NSW, Australia. Wood scored wins over former world rated Victor Oganov and Kariz Kariuki to capture the Contender 168 pound title in 2010. Mundine who is now trained by former WBO 147 pound challenger Jeff Malcolm is looking to eventual challenge Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather and is also looking for fights in the USA against Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito.
WBA#2 Mundine hopes to challenge for the WBA interim 154 pound title against Rigoberto Alvarez soon. Mundine said ”We are trying to get Alvarez here, win the title here and then go over there. I would probably defend against Trout or they are talking about Ronald Hearns, who is [Thomas] ‘Hitman’ Hearns’s son. I don’t care. Once I get over there, just line them up … I want to climb the ladder until I get to the best of the best.” (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.