email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Budler, Liebenberg defending belts in Monte Carlo
- Boxing Buzz
- Fonfara: If I want to think about a rematch with Adonis, I must beat guys like Ngumbu
- Karpency Bros headline Nov 21 in WV
- WBA interim heavyweight champ Ortiz fails drug test
- The Ultimate Fighter Takes on Breast Cancer Awareness
- "Renegade" Robles Back in San Diego this Friday
- McDonnell: I am not scared to have a fight and I want to prove myself against the best
- Werdum Focused on Title, Not Opponent
- Tyson Fury removes gag and calls out Anthony Joshua, says he'll fight Joshua in December "after smashing Chisora!"
- Murray-Spada Press Conference
By Ron Jackson
In an all South African match-up Thabo Sonjica from Duncan Village makes the first defence of his IBO super bantamweight belt when he faces Toto Helebe of Cape Town at the Orient Theatre in East London on Sunday afternoon. The southpaw Sonjica, 25 , who has a record of 18-2; 13 won the vacant belt in East London on July 6 last year when he stopped Filipino Silvester Lopez in the sixth round. (more…)
Pacquiao camp eyes the Golden Boy split: More
New Zealand fight promoter looks to bring back David Tua. More
Joe Calzaghe prepares for International Boxing Hall of Fame induction. More
Former heavyweight great Joe Bugner talks Henry Cooper. More
Mikkel Kessler on the Carl Froch warpath again. More
Shannon Briggs (54-6-1, 48 KOs), the last U.S. heavyweight champion of the world, returns to the ring on June 28th. Briggs will take on formerly world ranked heavyweight Raphael Zumbano Love (34-7-1, 27 KOs) of Brazil in a scheduled for 12 round featured attraction. A regional title from one of the major sanctioning bodies will be at stake. Site of the bout will be Remington Park in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma with HD Boxing promoting. Briggs grabbed headlines worldwide last month when he crashed the Wladimir Klitschko-Alex Lepai final press conference. A YouTube video generated well over 300,000 within days of it happening. After Klitschko dominated Leapai in route to a stoppage win, the crew on ESPN Sportscenter expressed interest in seeing Briggs get an opportunity against Klitschko. Klitschko is said to be defending his titles again before the year is out and with a statement win and a major regional title (and a world ranking coming with it), Briggs could find himself in the hunt for a crack at Klitschko.
It’s official. WBA/IBO middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin will battle two-time world champion Daniel “The Real Deal” Geale in Madison Square Garden on July 26 on HBO. The bout was announced today by K2 Promotions and GGG Promotions in association with Gary Shaw Productions and Grange Old School Boxing. Golovkin has previously fought in the Garden’s smaller “Theater” but this is his first bout in the Garden’s main arena.
Gennady Golovkin: “I’m happy to be fighting at Madison Square Garden once again. Fighting in front of the great fans in New York City for the third time is an honor for me and I will train hard to defend my titles in style by giving the fans an exciting show. Daniel Geale has a lot of world championship experience, is a big international name and I look forward to this challenge.”
Daniel Geale: “I’m pleased to be making my way back to HBO against Gennady Golovkin, a fighter who everyone thinks is invincible. A victory will get me back to where I want to be. The people of Australia believe in me and that’s what drives me, my countrymen. I want to show them they have a great champion. On July 26th the world will see me back on top.”
Advance tickets priced at $500, $300, $200, $100, $50 and $25 can be purchased starting at 10:00 a.m. ET starting next Tuesday at 12 noon at the Madison Square Garden Box Office, all Ticketmaster outlets, Ticketmaster charge by phone (866-858-0008) and online at www.ticketmaster.com and www.thegarden.com.
Photos: Chris Farina/Top Rank
Three-time world champion Miguel Cotto looked sharp during a media workout on Wednesday at the Everlast Lab in Hoboken, New Jersey. The Puerto Rican idol is putting the finishing touches on preparations for his eagerly-anticipated world title clash against WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez on Saturday at New York City’s Madison Square Garden live on HBO Pay-Per-View.
“Everything is ready for this Saturday and it’s only a matter for the bell to ring to put all this work and strategy to use in the ring,” said Cotto. “I know I have a strong challenge this Saturday and that’s why I worked so hard these last ten weeks. Preparation is the key to victories on the day of the fight and this will not be the exception. I hope provide a good show for all my fans.”
Cotto’s Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach added, “This second camp was much better than the first now that we know each other better and I believe that we’ve achieved everything we wanted to do for this fight. Miguel is strong, has plenty of experience in big fights and will come out with his arm raised.”
With WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin being elevated to super champion, Jarrod Fletcher will now face Daniel Jacobs for the WBA “regular” world title. “We’ve had Murray, Chudinov and now Golovkin all pull out of either contracted or mandated fights for their own reasons, fortunately Max Bursak and now Daniel Jacobs have both stepped up to take the challenge” Said Adam Wilcock from FightCard Promotions, manager of Fletcher. “Ultimately without the backing of HBO, Golovkin brings little to the table for Jarrod. Yes there’s the title there, and we wanted that opportunity for Jarrod. But we can’t force his camp to take the fight and they obviously have their own agenda for sidestepping Fletcher. The team around Golovkin are continually in the media saying they will fight anyone in the division, but here we have a boxer that’s been WBA top 5 for the last 15 months knocking on the door for that whole time and they keep avoiding us. Says everything I think. The WBA have been great in finding a workable solution to the problems and we look forward to seeing Jarrod crowned as the new WBA world champion.”
While the last details of date and venue are in the final stages of being put together, Fletcher will continue his full time training out of the Fortitude Gym in Brisbane under the watchful eye of head trainer Steve Deller.
The WBA has elevated middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin to “super champion” status and granted Golovkin’s request for an exception, allowing Golovkin to defend his title against Daniel Geale on HBO July 26. Golovkin had been previously ordered to face #2 Jarrod Fletcher.
Pound for pound king and two-division unified champion Floyd Mayweather has been forced to call off a UK visit scheduled for later this month after UK authorities refused to grant him a visa for unspecified reasons according to the Daily Mail. Mayweather was slated to make six appearances on his UK tour, including one in Amir Khan’s hometown of Bolton.
By Przemek Garczarczyk
It’s been more than a week since he fought WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson (23-1, 20 KOs) in Montreal, but Andrzej Fonfara (25-3, 15 KOs) still hasn’t watched his 12-round bout with ‘Superman.’ “I plan to do this, but family, spending time with friends comes first. Stevenson is not going anywhere,” said ‘The Polish Prince’ talking to Fightnews.com in Chicago. Asked to rank best light heavyweights in the world, Fonfara rates Stevenson as #1, giving him a decisive nod in an expected clash with IBF champion Bernard Hopkins and also predicting Stevenson a winner in a tougher fight against WBO beltholder Sergey “Krusher” Kovalev.
Hasim Rahman 253 vs. Antz Nanzen 237.4
Alonzo Butler 296 vs. Brice Ritani-Coe 260
Kali Meehan 243 vs. Hunter Sam 230
Michael Sprott 247 vs. Martin Rogan 234
The “Super 8″ is a Prizefighter-style tournament taking place Wednesday night in Auckland, New Zealand. The winner of the tournament will collect $200,000, the runner-up receives $100,000, semi-finalists earn $30,000, and opening round losers bank $15,000. Fighters can receive bonuses for KOs, best fights and fight of the night.
By Karl Freitag
It didn’t take long for the fallout to hit after long time Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer announced he was leaving the company effective immediately. Shortly after, Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe told ESPN that Golden Boy Promotions will no longer be co-promoting Floyd Mayweather’s megafights. Ellerbe later tweeted “There’s many moving pieces that play an integral part in the success of any event, but ‘your people are your most valuable resource.'” For the last seven years, all of Floyd’s fights had been presented under Golden Boy’s promoter’s license and with Golden Boy’s team primarily handling the logistics.
Golden Boy did not issue a statement on the Schaefer situation, and there was nothing from Golden Boy President Oscar de la Hoya, who is normally quite active on Twitter. However, de la Hoya’s lawyer Bert Fields released a statement to the Los Angeles Times indicating that Schaefer is contractually bound to Golden Boy until 2018 and that contract will be enforced.
De la Hoya will be in Canastota, New York, this weekend for induction into the International Boxing Hall of Fame. Schaefer isn’t expected to attend.
Also See: Richard Schaefer’s official statement
By Brett Bonetti
Looks like former WBA Light Middleweight champion Austin “No Doubt” Trout (26-2, 14 KO’s) will face Daniel “The Rock” Dawson (40-3 -1, 26 KOs) in a possible WBA light middleweight title eliminator. The bout will likely take place at the StubHub Centre in Los Angeles in early August. Trout at present holds the WBA #7 world rating and Dawson is currently ranked WBA #13. Trout won his first 26 professional fights including a victory over Miguel Cotto, but has since lost his last two fights via unanimous decision to Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Erislandy Lara and is now looking to get back on track with a victory over Dawson. (more…)
Memories of former 60s fighter Ralph Dupas . . . More
Satisfied with his victory over George Groves, retirement is an option for Carl Froch. More
An unsatisfied Nonito Donaire wants a better, more convincing win. More
Carl Froch “unofficially” proposes to girlfriend Rachel Cordingly in the ring. More
Is James DeGale next in line for Froch? More
After scoring an impressive knockout over multi-division former world champion Vic Darchinyan (39-7-1, 28 Kos) last Saturday in Macau China, to defend his WBA featherweight belt for the second time, Jamaican Nicholas “The Axeman” Walters (24-0, 20 KOs) arrived in Panama along with his trainers and members of his managerial team.
“I’ll spend a few days at home before traveling with my father to Jamaica to celebrate this important victory with my many fans in the island but first will visit my manager Jacques Deschamps in Haiti who was unable to be in Macau with me in China,” said Walters, who recognizes Darchinyan as a tough opponent. “One thing is watching him on tape and another very different one facing him in the ring. He is fast, accurate and very strong and I have to recognize that his complicated style gave me problems to set my strategy in the early rounds.” (more…)
Photo: Mary Ann Owen
Official Statement: “After more than ten years with Golden Boy, it is time to move on to the next chapter of my career. This decision has required a great deal of personal reflection, but ultimately I concluded that I have no choice but to leave. I have succeeded in banking and I have succeeded in boxing, and I look forward to the next opportunity. I am proud to remain a shareholder, so I have a strong interest in the continued success of the company. I am proud of what we have accomplished at Golden Boy, but I now look forward to new challenges.”
There will be no further comments at this time.
Carl Froch says his fantastic KO win over George Groves at Wembley Stadium connected by EE has still not sunk in – and The Cobra is urging British boxing to capitalize on its greatest night. Froch secured back to back wins over Groves and retained his WBA and IBF World Super Middleweight titles again with a stunning eighth round knockout, in front of 80,000 fans at the national stadium live on Sky Sports Box Office.
The Nottingham star penned his finally fight diary entry in the Evening Standard today reflecting on the biggest night of his career, and confirming that while he will bide his time over his next step, he has the itch to go over to Las Vegas and sample the bright lights. “The support for the event was incredible, not just for me but for every fighter on the bill,” wrote Froch. “British boxing has been longing for a big night like that; there were some great fights and boxers on the undercard and I closed the show in dramatic, brutal and conclusive fashion – and I think there’s more to come from me and the sport. (more…)
Photos: Ed Mulholland / Top Rank
Three-time world champion Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico and WBC world Middleweight champion Sergio Martinez posed at the top of the Empire State Building Monday for their eagerly-anticipated world middleweight championship.
Earlier, Martinez worked out for the public at Modell’s Sporting Goods in Times Square.
Promoted by Miguel Cotto Promotions, Top Rank, DiBella Entertainment and Sampson Boxing, in association with Maravilla Box, Tecate and Madison Square Garden, the Cotto-Martínez World Middleweight Championship event will take place on Saturday, June 7, at the “Mecca of Boxing,” Madison Square Garden and is produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View, beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET / 6:00 p.m. PT.
TUF Smashes competitor Richie “Vas” Vaculik will be back in the Octagon on Saturday, June 28 when he faces UFC newcomer Roldan “The Executioner” Sangcha-an of the Philippines in a UFC Fight Night flyweight bout in Auckland, New Zealand . . . Click here for more
. . . .
Coming up next: UFC FIGHT NIGHT: HENDERSON VS. KHABILOV is live on FOX SPORTS 1 on Saturday, June 7 at 10 PM ET/7 PM PT from Albuquerque, N.M. . . . Click here for more
The live fight event capping the premiere season of NUVOtv’s boxing competition television series “Knockout” will take place on Saturday at Casino Miami Jai-Alai in Miami, Florida. The fighters scheduled to fight during the event include:
Dennis Douglin (16-3, 10 KOs) vs. Charles Whittaker (40-15-2, 24 KOs) (10 Rounds)
Azea Augustama (16-1, 9 KOs) vs. Cory Cummings (17-5, 13 KOs) (8 Rounds)
Justin Mayweather Jones (1-0, 1 KOs) vs. Luis Garcia (1-1) (4 Rounds)
Ahmed Elbiali vs. Yuwshua Zadok (4 Rounds)
Idel Torriente vs. Jason Leon (4 Rounds)
By James Slater
According to The Liverpool Echo, 39-year-old Courtney Fry will challenge living legend and future Hall of Famer Roy Jones Jr for the former multi-weight king’s lightly regarded WBU cruiserweight title in Latvia on July 26th. Fry’s manager, Neil Marsh told the publication that his fighter, a Londoner but based in Liverpool, will face the 45-year-old great in front of an expected 10,000 fans at the Skonto Stadium. According to James Toney’s FaceBook page, Toney, also aged 45, will fight Evgeny Orlov up at heavyweight on the same card. (more…)
Saad Muhammad’s funeral arrangements:
Thursday, June 5th
Enon (West) Tabernacle Baptist Church
230 W. Coulter St.
Philadelphia, PA 19144
By Ron Jackson
Ali Funeka the former SA junior lightweight and WBF junior welterweight champion knocked out Mzolisi Yoyo in the fourth round in East London at the weekend to add the SA junior welterweight title to his collection. Their clash for Yoyo’s title was the main bout of the tournament at the Orient Theatre, where five title fights took place. The taller Funeka improved his record to 34-4-3, including 28 wins inside the distance. He took control in the first round and knocked Yoyo down early in the fourth round. The champion beat the count but another right to the head sent him down again and out for the count. His record fell to 21-6, with 5 shortcut wins. (more…)
Dennis Hobson Promotions has announced that IBF #7 rated Lee Haskins will not be fighting IBF #6 Sergio Perales in an IBF world bantamweight title eliminator after the American pulled out injured. The pair were due to clash at Newcastle’s Metro Radio Arena on June 7, on the undercard of Stuart Hall’s IBF world title defense against Paul Butler. However, after the Texan injured a hand in training the contest has been forced off the bill.
“It’s disappointing,” explained promoter Dennis Hobson. “It’s a fight we were all looking forward to, and it would have been an excellent contest. Unfortunately though, Perales’ team have informed us of his injury and we haven’t been able to find a suitable replacement in time. Hopefully it’s a fight we can arrange again for a future show. The card is still top quality though. Hall versus Butler, Jon-Lewis Dickinson against Ovill Mckenzie, Bradley Saunders in his first title fight, and Dave Allen trading heavy blows with Larry Olubamiwo will all be great fights, and the rest of the card is shaping up into a fantastic evening of boxing.”
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Photo: Team Soliman
Newly crowned IBF middleweight champion Sam “King” Soliman has WBA 160-pound champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin in his sights after dethroning Felix Sturm in Germany on Saturday winning a clear decision by scores of 118-110, 118-110, 117-111. Soliman is confident he can now defeat Golovkin and has talked with Fightnews saying “Boxing is all about styles and I have the style to defeat Golovkin. Triple G Baby – here I come!
“I know all my friends will say ‘Sammy take it easy. You’ve got the title, don’t risk it against the big names’ but realistically I’ve only got another four or five fights and I want to test myself against the very best. That’s the way I’ve always been and I’m not going to change now that I’m world champion.
“I’m just so glad that this fight was shown in America because Golovkin will have seen it. Now he’ll know who he’s dealing with.” (more…)
WBC middleweight champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez will conduct a public workout at 12:30PM at Modell’s Sporting Goods in Times Square (234 West 42nd Street). The first 50 fans to buy a boxing glove at the Modell’s workout will get an autograph from Martínez. Also, fans who take a photo of Sergio working out and post it on Instagram or Twitter, will be eligible for a random drawing with the winner receiving a $100 Modell’s gift card from the champ.
Martinez defends his world title against Puerto Rico boxing icon Miguel Cotto on Saturday at Madison Square Garden, where there are still a few seats left, available at the Madison Square Garden Box Office, all Ticketmaster outlets, Ticketmaster charge by phone (866-858-0008), and online at www.ticketmaster.com and www.thegarden.com.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.