firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- UFC 179 Main: Brazil's Lone King Aldo Still Reigns Supreme
- Jose Ramirez, Andy Ruiz annihilate opponents
- Photos: Coyle destroys Katsidis; McDonnell stays unbeaten
- UFC 179 Prelims: Magny Gets Record-Tying Win
- Carman wins wild one
- Golota, Nicholson box exhibition
- IT'S ON! GGG Golovkin vs. Martin Murray
- Murray beats Spada to set up Golovkin showdown
- Butler outpoints late sub Garnica
- Results from Manchester, England
- WBC confirms Stiverne-Wilder agreement
Sources from the Ukraine have confirmed that WBA welterweight champion Viacheslav Senchenko of the Ukraine will make his next defense of his title August 20 vs Marco Antonio Avendano (30-7-1, 22 KOs) of Venezuela. The bout will take place in the champion’s place of residence in Donetsk, Ukraine.
By Francisco Salazar
Top Rank Chief Matchmaker Bruce Trampler confirmed to Fightnews.com that unbeaten featherweight Michael Franco will take on hard-hitting Jose Angel Beranza at the Morongo Casino Resort & Spa in Cabazon, CA on May 21st. Franco (18-0, 12 KOs) saw action five weeks ago, stopping Martin Armenta in the fourth round in Tijuana. Hailing from nearby Riverside, he will be fighting in a scheduled eight round bout.
Beranza (33-19-2, 26 KO’s) has given prospects and contenders fits with his hard-nosed and aggressive style. He gave unbeaten Teon Kennedy fits last May an pulled off the upset in defeating previously-unbeaten Juan Carlos Velasquez in July of 2009.
Headlining the Top Rank card will be Alfonso Gomez taking on Calvin Green in a 10 round welterweight bout.
In an intriguing rematch, Roberto “La Amenaza” Garcia (29-3, 21 KOs) of Texas will take on Calvin Odom (15-8, 11 KOs) of Southern California on May 6th at the Quiet Canyon in Montebello, California in an eight round junior middleweight main event. Ed Holmes’ AllStar Boxing will promote the event. Odom handed the now 31-year-old Garcia his first loss of his career 8 years ago in Garcia’s native Texas. Garcia will now seek to get his revenge in Odom’s backyard. A major advantage for Garcia this time around will be activity in the ring. Garcia has remained fairly active of late where Odom hasn’t fought in five years with some of his inactivity attributed to an incarceration. That being said the still young 29-year-old Odom has nothing to lose per promoter Ed Holmes. “I give a lot of credit to Garcia for taking this fight because all the pressure is on him. A loss will set him way back but I have the contracts signed by both fighters now and we have a fight. Tickets are already available,” said Holmes. For ticket information call 323 816 6200.
By: Chris Davis at Ringside
In the main event of “Windy City Fight Night 16″ at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago, presented by promoter Dominic Pesoli of 8 Count Productions, local super middleweight Donovan “Da Bomb” George outgunned and stopped slick boxer Maxell Taylor in the eighth round. George (22-1-1, 19 KOs) pressed forward the entire contest, winging shots at his opponent’s head, body, arms, and elbows. Taylor (15-3-1, 6 KOs) from Baltimore, MD, circled throughout the fight, landing jabs and the occasional combination from the outside in an attempt to keep the heavy-handed George at bay. George’s relentless pressure paid off in the eighth when he caught Taylor in the corner, opening up with vicious lefts and rights that sent Taylor sprawling to the canvas. A game yet visibly shaken Taylor got to his feet before the count of ten, but soon after George pinned him to the ropes and let loose with a furious series of unanswered punches, forcing referee Gino Rodriguez to wave it off at 2:05 of the eighth round. George, who captured the vacant USBA super middleweight title with the win, announced his retirement from the center of the ring to a stunned audience – only to draw a huge sigh of relief from the appreciative crowd when he cracked a smile and shouted, “April Fool’s!” more photos
By Francisco Salazar at ringside
Photos: Big Joe Miranda
Welterweight Arman Ovsepyan did not expect his scheduled six round bout against Alex Viramontes to end in the manner that it did. Neither did the fans in attendance, who braved the cold air in the outdoor venue. Ovsepyan scored a controversial third round stoppage before a disappointing large crowd at the Finish Line Sports Grill in Pomona, CA. The bout headlined a boxing/ Muay Thai card, presented by Ray Alcorta Boxing, in association with II Feathers Promotions and All World Promotions. The Armenian born Ovsepyan has been on a roll since losing his professional debut, a four round majority decision to Eberto Medina almost three years ago. He was coming off a four round unanimous decision over Francisco Rios Gil in December. For more details and photos click here…
Photos courtesy Photo Wende
WBO Cruiserweight Champion Marco “Captain” Huck (32-1, 23 KOs) made his sixth successful title defence on Saturday night in Halle, Germany when he defeated brave challenger Ran Nakash on points. Fighting in front of 5,300 fans at the Gerry Weber Stadion, Huck was ahead 118-110, 118-110 and 116-112 after twelve hard-fought rounds. An aggressive Nakash moved forward from the first bell on, with Huck trying to get off his powerful combinations. From the fifth round onwards, Huck stamped his authority on the fight, landing hard uppercuts that bruised the face of his opponent. The crowd roared every time Huck launched one of his trademark assaults, but Nakash remained active and refused to go down. “He was a very dangerous opponent and I had to be on alert until the very end,” Huck said. “My uppercuts did the damage tonight. It was great to be in the ring in front of my home fans and give them an exciting fight.” For more details and photos click here…
Photos: Georg Moritz, Photo Wende
Patrick Nielsen (9-0, 5 KOs) clinched the next victory on his way up the rankings on Saturday night when he outclassed Gary Boulden (4-2-2) at the TV2 Fight Night in Herning. Against his aggressive opponent, the 20-year-old Dane was in full control throughout as he won every single round on the judges´ scorecards. In the last round, Nielsen was on verge of stopping a badly-cut Boulden, who went down from a body shot but scrambled back to his feet. The scores were 80-71, 80-71, 80-71. “This was a big step up for me against a tough opponent,” Nielsen said. “He was very aggressive and came to fight so I am happy I gave my fans a good victory. It was the first time I fought eight rounds at three minutes so I am pleased.” For more details and photos click here…
A change of date was becoming very possible for the April 15 Cesar Seda, Jr. vs. Omar Narvaez WBO Super Flyweight Championship fight; however, a venue change has instead been made. With the original site, Polideportivo Stadium in Buenos Aires, Argentina, no longer available, it has been moved to the “Estadio Osvaldo Casanova” Club Estudiantes de la Ciudad de Bahia Blanca, in Buenos Aires.
“This is good news because this could interrupt concentration for ‘Junito’ in this fight and this is the fight of his life. He has to be clear-minded to ensure his victory,” explains Ceda’s co-promoter, Javier Bustillo, President of Universal Promotions (along with Gary Shaw of Gary Shaw Productions). (more…)
Photos: Rafael Soto/Zanfer
In an advertised match that was dropped from last night’s pay-per-view telecast from Mexicali, Joksan ‘Torito’ Hernández (22-3, 14 KOs) won a majority decision over Ricardo ‘Piolo’ Castillo (39-10-1, 26 KOs) in a bout for the IBF Latino featherweight title. Click here for more photos…
By Phil Doherty
Photos: Sam Cohen and Reynaldo Sanchez
Baseball and boxing competed long ago for the national sports consciousness, with boxing holding a distinct edge. Once upon a time, Jack Dempsey’s ring exploits received more press than Babe Ruth’s legendary home plate endeavors. Yet today baseball continues to be a “major league” sport while boxing struggles to get back on base. The normally nocturnal business of live boxing switch-hit yesterday to a bright afternoon at the Marlins and Cardinals baseball spring training home in Roger Dean Stadium. Promoter Rebecca Valenza of Botanileeko Promotions and boxing manager Thomas J. Hickey tirelessly campaigned to organize the Fight(s) for the Pink event on behalf of the South Florida affiliate of the Susan G. Komen Fight for the Cure®. For more details and photos click here…
The new opponent for WBO world champion Robert Stieglitz (39-2, 23 KOs) in his upcoming title defense is a very dangerous fighter. After the cancellation of the unification duel against WBA champion Dimitri Sartison due to injury, the SES champion Stieglitz will now face the southpaw contender Khoren Gevor (31-5, 16 KOs). “We were very lucky in finding a new opponent on such short notice,” promotor Ulf Steinforth said. The Armenian born and WBO# 11 rated Gevor was originally scheduled to fight against the current European champion Matthew Macklin on April 16 in Manchester in a WBA eliminator fight. But Macklin had called off the battle at the beginning of last week. “Khoren Gevor is in full training and prepared for the 12 rounds,” Steinforth added. (more…)
“Rising Stars Battle at the Bosque” turned “Falling Star Battered at the Bosque” last night when unbeaten Archie Ray Marquez came close to suffering his first professional loss against a last-minute sub.
The eight-round lightweight main event had originally featured the Albuquerque hopeful promoted by Gary Shaw against a no-hoper who’d dropped nine of his last ten bouts. Despite stepping in at the 11th hour, Nevada’s Johnny Frazier provided something of an upgrade, having lost only five of his last seven with none of those losses coming by way of knockout . . . Click here for more
By Pepe Rodriguez/WBC
Edgar Sosa from Mexico defeats Kenichi Horikawa from Japan by technical knockout in the eighth round to retain his WBC international flyweight title on Saturday night at the Arena Mexico in Mexico City.
Japanese southpaw prospect, JBC#7 Masayuki Wakimoto (16-3, 7 KOs), 126, looked so impressive that he floored Sakchai Sor. Tanapinyo (13-5, 4 KOs), 125.5, each twice in the first two sessions and finally chalked up a fine TKO victory at 1:48 of the second round in a scheduled ten on Sunday in Takasago, Japan.
Having been demolished by highly world-rated Chonlatarn Piriyapinyo in five furious rounds in Thailand last December, Wakaimoto, 22, showed a gallant and great return to the ring warfare, displaying his southpaw lefts that overwhelmed the Thailander from the outset. Wakimoto, tall as a 126-pounder and hard-punching with his left hand, looked promising if he steadily keeps fighting on proper opponents.
Promoter: Takasago Promotions.
Former heavyweight title challenger Kali Meehan (37-4, 29 KOs) was back in action Saturday night in a walkout bout on the card in Halle, Germany. The 41-year-old Meehan scored a second round TKO over Valeri Semiskur (17-28-1, 9 KOs).
In another walkout bout, unbeaten flyweight Ashley Sexton (10-0-1, 5 KOs) won a six round unanimous nod over Salim Salimov (2-5, 2 KOs).
Photo/Results from Alberto Salazar/El Quequi
WBC silver flyweight champion Wilberth”Hurricane” Uicab (32-5-1, 18 KOs) won a majority decision over Silvio Oltenau (11-5,5 KOs) to retain his title on Saturday night at Playa Mamita’s in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico.
Super welterweight Roberto “Sugar” Ventura (7-6, 7 KOs) surprisingly stopped Antonio Mesquita (35-2, 27 KOs) in the sixth round.
Cruiserweight Shawn Cox (14-1, 13 KOs) of Barbados stopped Francisco Alvarez (12-3, 10 KOs) of Puerto Rico in the third round. (more…)
By Ron Jackson
Macbute Sinyabi retained his SA junior featherweight title when he knocked out Thabo Sonjica in the first round in East London on Saturday night. The fight ended after only 2 minutes and 58 seconds as the packed Orient Theatre was stunned by the sudden ending. The champion has now won 16 of his 17 professional bouts; all his victories coming by knockout. Sonjica’s record, as announced from the ring dropped to 14-1; 5. (more…)
Ringside by Chris Cozzone & Gerardo Martinez
“Tougher than expected” might be understating late sub Johnny Frazier (2-6-3, 2 KOs), who came close to derailing unbeaten Gary Shaw Promotions’ fighter Archie Ray Marquez (11-0, 8 KOs, 1 NC) tonight at the Santa Ana Star Casino in Bernalillo, N.M. on a card promoted by Crespin Boxing Promotions and Mirabal Boxing. Through six rounds it was a relatively close fight, with Marquez ahead from sheer aggression. But in round seven, Frazier floored Marquez who made the count on shaky legs just as the bell rang. In the eighth and final round, Frazier stunned Marquez again with another knockdown. The bigger shock came when referee Tony Rosales disregarded what appeared to all a clean knockdown, then subtracted a point from Frazier for hitting Marquez behind the head. The fight went to the cards with Marquez winning a unanimous decision, scores of 78-72 twice and 77-74.
The referee’s move was one of several questionable decisions seen tonight. (more…)
By Przemek Garczraczyk in Bydgoszcz
Photos: Piotr Duszczyk/Ringpolska
Challenger Francisco “The Wizard” Palacios says he did enough to win comfortably. WBC cruiserweight titleholder Krzysztof “Diablo” Włodarczyk says Palacios didn’t risk enough to beat a champion.
What is certain is that neither fighter presented their full skills during Saturday’s WBC cruiserweight championship fight in Bydgoszcz, Poland. In the end, judges decided that the current champion did enough to earn a split decision. Although scores 116-113 for Włodarczyk and 115-113 for Palacios both have some merit, the Italian judge who decided that Włodarczyk dominated with an 118-112 advantage clearly was watching a different bout than the 8,000+ fans, 60 member media contingent and millions watching on the TV screen. (more…)
Former WBA flyweight champ Daiki Kameda (20-2, 12 KOs), 119.25, engaged in his first bout after renouncing the 112-pound belt and dispatched Mexican Jesus Martinez (21-7, 12 KOs), 119.25, with a vicious body shot at 0:37 of the fifth round on Saturday in Okinawa, Japan. Kameda moved up to the 115-pound division, but appeared heavier than the bantam limit this night. He overpowered the physically smaller Mexican and had him kneel down for the count. Promoter: Kameda Promotions.
Photos & text: Mary Ann Owen
WBO/WBA/WBC female welterweight champion Cecilia Braekhus (17-0, 4 KOs) won a ten round unanimous decision over Jill Emery (10-5, 4 KOs) on Saturday night at the Herning Kongrescenter in Herning, Denmark. Braekhus was very aggressive all ten rounds landing more punches and Emery had problems with Braekhus’s pressure throughout the fight. Emery landed her share of punches, but not enough pull out a win. Braekhus won by scores of 98-92, 98-92, 99-91 in retaining her titles. Both fighters showed good sportsmanship, hugging and talking after the fight. Braekhus. Brakhus would like to fight Holly Holm next but not in Albuquerque, New Mexico. She would fight her in Las Vegas.
Story by Pepe Rodriguez / WBC
Photos: Pepe Rodriguez, Alma Montiel
Former WBC jr flyweight champion and current WBC International flyweight beltholder Edgar Sosa (41-6, 24 KOs) scored an eighth round TKO over Kenichi Horikawa (20-10-1, 4 KOs) in a good fight on Saturday night at the Arena Mexico in Mexico City. Sosa will next challenge champion Pongsaklek Wongjongkam.
In other action, WBC #1 featherweight contender Giovanni Caro (22-8-4, 16 KOs) stopped Genaro Camargo (35-10, 29 KOs) in round three.
Also, in a shocker, Robinson Castellanos (11-9, 7 KOs) applied a TKO in the eighth round to Alberto “Kichis” Garza (23-5-1, 18 KOs) to win the WBC silver featherweight belt. more photos
Photos: Chris Farina/Top Rank
Freddie Roach, chief trainer of Manny Pacquiao arrives in Los Angeles from the Philippines Saturday night to prepare Pacquiao for his upcoming world welterweight mega fight against “Sugar” Shane Mosley on Saturday, May 7 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Pacquiao vs. Mosley is promoted by Top Rank in association with MP Promotions, Sugar Shane Mosley Promotions, Tecate and MGM Grand. The Pacquiao vs. Mosley telecast will be available live on SHOWTIME Pay-Per-View. Click here for more photos…
By Kurt Wolfheimer at ringside
In a clash of unbeaten super middleweights, Alexander Johnson (11-0, 4 KOs) scored a ten round majority decision over NABF champion Farah Ennis (17-1, 11 KOs) on Saturday night at Ballys in Atlantic City. Scores were 95-95 97-93, 98-93.
In the co-feature, explosive knockout artist Amir “Hardcore” Mansour (13-0, 10 KOs) made quick work of Hector Ferreyro (21-10-2, 12 KOs). A right hand put Ferreyro down and out at 2:18 of the first round. He was taken from the ring on a stretcher. Mansour won his first nine bouts before taking almost nine years off. Since he has returned he has scored four vicious knockouts.
Photos: Rafael Soto/Zanfer
In a firefight, Hernan “Tyson” Marquez (30-2, 23 KOs) dethroned WBA flyweight champion Luis “El Nica” Concepcion (22-2, 17 KOs) on Saturday night at the Roberto Duran Arena in Panama. In a wild first first round both Marquez and Concepcion were on the deck. Concepcion had Marquez in trouble at the end of round two, but Marquez dropped Concepcion for a second time in round three. The back and forth action continued until round ten when Marquez dropped Concepcion again. The bout was stopped at the beginning of round eleven by the ringside physician. Marquez had entered the bout rated #9. Click here for more photos…
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.