email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Karpency Bros headline Nov 21 in WV
- WBA interim heavyweight champ Ortiz fails drug test
- The Ultimate Fighter Takes on Breast Cancer Awareness
- "Renegade" Robles Back in San Diego this Friday
- McDonnell: I am not scared to have a fight and I want to prove myself against the best
- Werdum Focused on Title, Not Opponent
- Tyson Fury removes gag and calls out Anthony Joshua, says he'll fight Joshua in December "after smashing Chisora!"
- Murray-Spada Press Conference
- Jean Pascal vs. Donovan George set for Dec 6
- Quigg: I'm on a big run of KO's and I don't intend on stopping
- Yamanaka keeps WBC 118lb belt
By Dave Spencer / Fightnews Canada
Photo: Dave Spencer
Tempers boiled over in Montreal this morning as Bernard Hopkins came face to face in advance of their May 21st return engagement at the Bell Centre in Montreal. “I wanted the fight here so I could kick his ass in his own backyard,” said Hopkins as the champion Jean Pascal sat back and yawned.
Things totally erupted when Pascal took the microphone and gave Hopkins all his championship belts. “I know you’re a thief, so I’m giving them to you now, but after May 21st, they’re staying here.” Pascal then upped the ante and accused the 46 year-old of cheating. “Are you willing to take a blood test for the fans and the rest of the world to prove you’re clean? You’re from the same family as Shane Mosley. Are you willing to take the test?”
As Hopkins got up to leave saying he would submit to any test the Quebec Commission required, Pascal stayed the aggressor and got into a shoving match and had to be physically restrained. “You’re a f-ing cheater,” the Montreal fighter screamed as Hopkins left the room.
By Karl Freitag
Jean Pascal: “I won in Quebec City last December 18 and I will decisively win the rematch. But this time when I send him to the canvas, I’ll make sure he doesn’t get up again. Hopkins isn’t getting any younger and he gave everything he had left in his body the last time. He can’t be any better. I’m ready to settle this once and for all here in Quebec in front of my fans.”
Bernard Hopkins: “I’m a threat and my age doesn’t matter, Pascal knows it. He was credited with two knockdowns and is almost 20 years younger than me and he still wasn’t able to win the fight. The fans know who really won. I gave Pascal an old-fashioned beating and I’ll do it again. Believe me, Pascal knows exactly what’s waiting for him on May 21 – it will be ‘execution time’ again.”
Photos: Motorsport Park
When WBO super middleweight champion Robert Stieglitz steps into the ring on April 9th at the Bördelandhalle against WBA champion Dimitri Sartison, he must rely on his fast feet and hands. At the Motorsport Arena Oschersleben he experienced a different type of speed. He took a seat in a BMW Z4 GT3 of Schubert Motors and was driven around the track by the arena driving instructor Patrick Bernhardt. He showed Stieglitz how to drive fast laps in racing speed. Afterwards the SES world champion changed into the driver seat and drove one lap on the track. An unforgetable experience for Stieglitz. (more…)
IBF #13 super middleweight Donovan “Da Bomb” George (21-1-1, 18 KOs) returns to action in his hometown of Chicago this Friday night against Maxell “The General” Taylor (15-2-1, 6 KOs) at the UIC Pavilion in twelve round clash for the vacant USBA title. George is coming off a crushing first round knockout of previously unbeaten Cornelius White on February 11th which was broadcast on Showtime. In the co-main event, Sergey Kovalev (13-0, 11 KOs) faces veteran Julius Fogle ( 15-6, 10 KOs) in an eight round light heavyweight bout. Also super middleweight “Bazooka” Joe Linenfelser (8-1-1, 6 KOs) meets Jeremy Marts (6-10, 4 KOs). Tickets start at $30 for the event presented by Dominic Pesoli’s 8 Count Productions.
After more than two decades the IBF/USBA is returning to Las Vegas, Nevada when its 28th Annual Convention takes place at the Paris Hotel & Casino May 31 – June 4, 2011. Las Vegas was the host city in 1990 when the organization held its 7th Annual Convention at the Maxim Hotel & Casino. “I expect that we will do well with attendance at this year’s convention,” stated IBF/USBA President, Daryl J. Peoples. He went on to add, “Not only is Las Vegas the ‘fight capital of the world’, it is a very popular tourist destination drawing visitors from all over the world.” (more…)
By Gary “Digital” Williams
After almost 200 amateur contests and numerous championships, 16-year-old Dusty Harrison of DC will take the plunge into the next level. Fightnews.com has learned that Harrison has signed a pro contract with Prize Fight Promotions of Memphis, TN and may make his pro debut in early June as a welterweight. According to Harrison’s father, Buddy, the owner of the Old School Boxing Gym, the family fielded numerous offers from promoters across the country, but felt Prize Fight was the best fit for them. “Our recent trip to Memphis, TN (where Prize Fight’s headquarters are) confirmed that this was the best choice for Dusty,” said Buddy Harrison. “Brian Young, Russ Young and Nate Yoder are a class act and run a professional operation.” (more…)
On April 15th Telefutura returns to the Longshoremen’s Hall at Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco for an event billed as “Battle on Beach Street.” The main event will feature fast-rising undefeated super featherweight Eloy “The Prince” Perez (20-0, 5 KOs) versus Daniel “Azuquita” Jimenez (20-3, 12 KOs). The undercard will comprise of local talent including knockout artists Joe “The Punisher” Gumina, Juan “No Compasion” Hernandez, and the professional debut of Jonathan “El Carismatico” Chicas.
By Craig Watt
Photos: Team Tomlinson
Unbeaten WBO #4 ranked super-featherweight Will Tomlinson (15-0, 11 KOs) is seen by many experts as one of Australia’s top boxing prospects after an impressive start to his professional career. He has impressed in each outing of his fifteen fight unbeaten run to date and takes on Indonesian Billy Sumba (18-3-1, 4 KOs) on April 8th at the Melbourne Pavillion, Flemington, Victoria. With his WBO #4 ranking he now has Scottish world champion Ricky Burns in his sights and hopes for a shot at the world title in the next twelve months. For more details and photos click here…
By Craig Watt
Photo: Team Mundine
On April 13th at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Queensland, Australia former two time WBA 168 pound champion Anthony “The Man” Mundine (40-4, 24 KOs) attempt to take revenge on the only boxer to defeat him in the last five years. He takes on the “Australian Contender” winner Garth Wood (10-1-1, 6 KOs) in a rematch of their December 2010 match up at the Acer Arena in Sydney when the 32 year old Wood knocked out Mundine with a left hook in the fifth round. This was considered by many experts the boxing shock of the year in Australia in a fight Mundine was expected to win easily against a relatively inexperienced opponent. (more…)
Photo: Prime Time
Middleweight Benjamin Simon has been forced to pull out of Friday’s IBF eliminator against Sam Soliman due to an injury to the middle knuckle on his left hand. He will be out of action for six to eight weeks. The main event for the Arena Box-Promotion show, which takes place at the Pferdesportpark in Berlin will be former WBA cruiserweight champion Firat Arslan against Michal Bilak.
By Phil Doherty
Photos: Sam Cohen
We all want to be the best at what we do; whatever our profession. It is an inherent human need to strive for the perceived glory commensurate with championship-level achievement. Unfortunately, the cold, mathematical reality of life dictates only the most infinitesimal percentage of us ever breathe such rarefied air. Does that mean the rest of us are to be considered failures Definitely not. The argument rightfully exists that a noble and more universal struggle to overcome these professional “deficiencies” can exalt the layman, the journeyman, the everyman. The sport of boxing consists of thousands of such men who continue to answer the bell and perform their job to the best of their abilities. They may never hold a world championship belt around their waists, but their efforts legitimize the lucky few who do. Fightnews recently had the opportunity to speak with one such fighter, Kissimmee heavyweight Jason “The Sensation” Gavern (19-7-4, 8 KOs). For more details and photos click here…
Text and photo: Przemek Garczarczyk
Francisco “The Wizard” Palacios (20-0, 13 KOs), who on Saturday in Bydgoszcz, Poland, will fight for the WBC cruiserweight championship against titleholder Krzysztof “Diablo” Włodarczyk (44-2, 32 KOs) encounters a formidable foe during his walk through Warsaw Old Town. “I knew I had to fight Diablo in Poland, but nobody told me about The Grimm Ripper,” said Palacios.
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Former world welterweight and middleweight contender Shannan Taylor who will clash with Tim Kanofski Saturday talks to Fightnews about his KO wins over former WBA lightweight champion Livingstone Bramble and IBF jnr welterweight champion Jake “The Snake” Rodriguez and world title challenges against Shane Mosley and Arthur Abraham.
By Felipe Leon
After a successful night last February where up and coming featherweight Alejandro Sanabria defeated multi-time title challenger Rocky Juarez, Erik Morales’ Box Latino returns once again on Saturday, April 2nd, to Rosarito, MX, Municipal Gymnasium. The seven bout fight card which up and coming local talent put to the test in front of the enthusiastic boxing audience of Rosarito, a seaside tourist spot twenty minutes south of the San Diego-Tijuana border. In the main event, Tepic, MX’s Oscar “Finito” Gonzalez (21-1, 17KOs) will take on local veteran journeyman Arturo “Aguilita” Valenzuela (20-15, 17KOs) in a scheduled ten round featherweight bout. The match up will be the hard hitting Gonzalez’s first true test as Valenzuela of Tijuana, MX, has faced the much more fearsome opposition in Mark “Too Sharp” Johnson, Juan Luis “Perla Negra” Hernandez and the afore mentioned Sanabria. (more…)
By Robert Hough
Alejandro Perez (15-2-1, 10KOs) blasted Antonio Escalante (24-4, 15 KOs), getting the knockout at 2:57 of the opening round in a TeleFutura-televised fight at the Fairfield Sports Center in Fairfield, Calif.
Both junior lightweights were coming off losses and came to fight, immediately establishing a brisk pace and entertaining the announced sell-out crowd of 1,000. Escalante started effectively, landing left hooks to the body as Perez stalked him. The Salinas, Calif., fighter landed little of consequence as he pressed forward, but he ended it with one right. Escalante, coming off a third-round knockout loss to Daniel Ponce de Leon (41-3, 34 KOs) in September, went down instantly and referee Edward Collantes pointed out that the fighter from El Paso, Texas, hit his head on the canvas when he fell. (more…)
Ringside report & photos by Felipe Leon
Since the mega event put on by Box Latino for the Erik Morales-Francisco Lorenzo 12-round bout last December, Zanfer Promotions, the leading boxing promoter in Latin America, came to the rescue last Friday night and put together an eight-bout card for Tijuana, Mexico . . . Click here for more
Results by Brady Crytzer
Photos by Joe Cordova
In the main event of Saturday night’s Ultimate Fight Night from Seattle, WA, rising star Phil “Mr. Wonderful” Davis passed the toughest test of his career by defeating long-time MMA veteran Antonio Rogerio “Minotoro” Nogueira by unanimous decision . . . Click here for more
Rick Scharmberg and Kurt Wolfheimer at Ringside
Photos by Ed Mulholland
Yuriorkis Gamboa (20-0, 16 KOs) successfully defended his WBA featherweight title with a fourth round destruction of Jorge Solis (40-3-2, 29 KOs) on Saturday night in front of a packed house at the Boardwalk Hall’s Adrian Phillips Ballroom in Atlantic City, New Jersey. In the co-feature, heavy-handed Miguel Angel Garcia (25-0, 21 KOs) took the NABF and NABO featherweight titles after fellow contender Matt Remillard (23-1, 13 KOs) could not answer the bell for the eleventh round of their scheduled twelve round bout. Both fights were televised live on HBO’s Boxing After Dark . . . Click here for more
Photos: Joel A. Colón/PR Best Boxing
Former two time champion Ivan “Iron Boy” Calderon arrived in Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico today, where on April 2 he’ll face WBO junior flyweight king Giovani Segura at the Auditorio del Estado in Mexicali. Calderón (34-1-1, 6 KOs) traveled yesterday from Puerto Rico to New York, to Los Angeles to San Diego, and then went by car to Mexicali in a 19 hour journey. Click here for more photos…
Photos: Promociones Miguel Cotto
Puerto Rican bantamweight prospect Luis Cosme improved his record to 7-1, 3 KOs with a clear unanimous decision win over Edwin Cedano in front of a packed house at the Fabio Banegas Coliseum in Santiago, Dominican Republic. “It was a great win for me,” Cosme said. “Cedano was a tough guy. I’m excited. This is my second fight in less than two months and we will continue to work hard step into the world rankings.”
Promociones Miguel Cotto and H2 Entertainment junior lightweight prospect O’Nell Negrón (6-0, 6 KOs) annihilated Confesor Guzmán with a vicious liver shot in the first round. “I am very happy with this victory, I had a big chance to locate a great body shot that could end the fight,” Negrón said. more photos
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Mexican star Cristian Mijares is expected to defend his IBF super flyweight world crown on May 14 in Ciudad Obregon, Sonora, against a challenger to be named. This would be a voluntary defense, although sources say Mijares may want to go straight to official IBF challenger Raul ‘The Cobra’ Martinez (28-1, 16 KOs), who earned the title shot by winning an eliminator against Mexican Rodrigo Guerrero. Frenchman Malik Bouziane (13-1-1, 1 KO) had previously been mentioned for the first defense of Mijares, who won the belt in December against compatriot Juan Alberto Rosas.
By Oliver Dütschler at ringside
Undefeated Hungarian light welterweight prospect Gabor Veto (23-0, 17 KOs) scored a spectacular second round KO over Leonard Cretu (1-5) on Saturday night at the sold out Sporthalle in Elzach, Baden Württemberg, Germany. A huge left hand dropped Cretu for the count. Time was 1:05.
Cruiserweight Agron Dzila (8-1, 5 KOs) won a four round unanimous decision over Hubert Romankiewicz (0-1) by scores of 40-36, 40-36 and 40-36.
By Robert Coster
Photos: Leopoldo Gonzalez Press
California bantamweight Leo Santa Cruz (15-0, 7 KOs) took a giant step in his young career, winning the WBC bantamweight Youth world title with an impressive six round demolition of WBC #10, WBA #7 contender Stephane Jamoye (20-3, 10 KOs) of Belgium in Xalapa, Veracruz, Mx. Both young boxers traded bombs furiously in the center of the ring from the get go with Santa Cruz generally getting the better of the exchanges. The end to the very exciting battle came abruptly when Santa Cruz surprised Jamoye with a short, lethal right hook to the body that left left the visitor prone of his back for the full count. A truly spectacular ending to an exciting shootout that kept the fans on the edge of their seats. (more…)
By Joe Koizimi
Reckless ex-OPBF super-bantam champ, WBC#14 Hiromasa Ohashi (24-9-3, 15 KOs), 121.5, regained the OPBF belt when he barely pounded out a split decision over OPBF#2 Filipino national titlist Jhunriel Ramonal (9-3-1, 6 KOs), 121.75, over twelve hard-fought rounds on Sunday in Kariya, Japan.
Scored: scoring referee Wansoo Yuh (Korea) 117-111 and judge Yuji Fukuchi (Japan) 115-113, both for Ohashi, and Delbert Peligrino (Philippines) 115-114 for Ramonal.
Ohashi, a Vito Antuofermo stylist, found another Antuofermo in Ramonal, and they persistently mixed it up entirely for twelve heats. Ohashi, who had forfeited his regional belt to the current WBA 122-pound champ Akifumi Shimoda a year ago, decked a couple of wins since, and was a prefight favorite against Ramonal due to his superior experience. But the 21-year-old muscular Filipino didn’t care about the difference of their careers and came out fighting toe-to-toe without retreating. After the fourth, the open scoring system indicated 38-38 twice and 40-36 for Ohashi. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.