email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Boxing Buzz
- Bradley-Marquez photo shoot
- World title tripleheader in Panama August 10
- Malignaggi: I could have knocked out 20 garbage men or laundromat workers too, but I chose to fight real opponents in my career
- Froch to be honored in Nottingham
- Mora ready for 'chess match' against Proksa
- Yordan on Thunderdome II
- Sergio Martinez WBC title update
- Gennady Golovkin: It's a difficult fight maybe the first seven rounds
- Malignaggi-Broner Workout photos
Former NYSAC Commissioner and former CKP matchmaker Ron Scott Stevens has a new off-Broadway play that will begin running in February 4th at the Soho Theater. The play is called “The Cutting Den” and it is about a Brooklyn barbershop that is fronting for a gambling parlor. One of the main characters is being played by former WBO middleweight champion Doug DeWitt. More info here.
Hollywood Casino in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, will host another live boxing event on January 23rd. This will be the fourth boxing card Hollywood Casino and promoter Leslie Bonano have brought together since bringing boxing back to Bay St. Louis last summer. The main event will be an eight-rounder between heavyweights “Big Fred” Kassi (14-1, 7 KOs) and Byron Polley (23-10-1, 11 KOs). Also in a heavyweight six-rounder, Bobby O’Bannon (7-2, 7 KOs) will face off with Wes Taylor (7-14). Tickets are $20, $50 and $100. Call 800-229-2683. Must be at least 21 to attend.
Unbeaten Mike Jones, of Philadelphia, PA, makes the fourth defense of his NABA welterweight title when he faces Henry Bruseles, of Gurabo, Puerto Rico, in the scheduled 10-round main event on February 27 at Bally’s Atlantic City. The Jones-Bruseles fight will be part of a two-hour portion of the show which will be televised live by Fox Sports Espanol, Fox Sports Net (FSN) and its regional sports network affiliates, beginning at 10 p.m. This card, part of the Top Rank Live series on Fox Sports Espanol on Saturdays, three times a month. (more…)
Only 21 days after his professional debut, 2009 world amateur boxing champion Jack Culcay will return to the ring on Saturday in Magdeburg against Dmitrijus Sidorovicius. “To me it makes no difference who my opponent is,” says the highly regarded jr middleweight. “I’ll take on anybody in the ring.” Southpaw Sidorovicius (24) has won both of his pro fights in the Latvian capital of Riga. Culcay feels well prepared. “The sparring went well. My trainer Michael Timm was satisfied,” he said. Regarding his pro debut against Jindrich Kubin, Culcay stated “I’ve looked my first fight on video. The quickness was okay, I must still work on my defense.” Culcay also wants to pace himself better. “I can’t immediately go full throttle, I need to be a little calmer.”
For the last 20 years, Chris Middendorf has gone from managing to matchmaking fights. In the last 18 months, Middendorf has been the genius at TKO Boxing Promotions, matching up the fights and grooming an increasingly growing stable of hot, young fighters. Fightnews recently sat down to talk with Middendorf . . . Click here for more by Matt Thompson
Days after surrendering his title, Mike Brown’s lingering funk began manifesting itself as a hunger for redemption. So WEC matchmaker Sean Shelby offered the antsy former champ a Philly cheesesteak – as in a Jan. 10 date with Philadelphian Anthony “Cheesesteak” Morrison . . . Click here for more by Frank Curreri, WEC
Promoter Ricky Hatton’s Hatton Promotions returns on January 15 when Rob Norton and David Dolan meet in a rematch for the British and Commonwealth cruiserweight titles at the Altrincham Leisure Centre in Manchester, England. The pair contested a thrilling battle last year as Norton survived three knockdowns to retain his title by unanimous decision. Dolan, a former “Prizefighter” series finalist, will be seeking revenge and will hope to emulate the success he had in Manchester in 2002 as he won a Commonwealth Games gold medal. The rematch between Cello Renda and Paul Samuels may however steal the show as they meet in a ten round middleweight bout. A double knockdown was the highlight when they clashed in Stoke last November.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Looks like WBA cruiserweight world champion Guillermo Jones has an opponent, date and location for the first defense of his title. Sources say Jones may be returning on February 27 in France against Valerie Brudov, the mandatory challenger. Apparently an agreement has been worked out between the parties involved and the WBA has called off a scheduled purse bid. It will be Jones first fight since winning the title in September 2008 by defeating Firat Arslan in Germany. Brudov has previously held the WBA interim cruiserweight belt.
WBO junior featherweight champion Juan Manuel ‘Juanma’ Lopez (27-0, 24 KOs) is just a few weeks away from his January 23rd challenge of WBO featherweight champion Steven Luevano (37-1-1, 15 KOs). The bout will take place at the famed Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York with HBO televising. The PR Best Boxing (Ivan & Peter Rivera) and Top Rank promoted Lopez is confident he will leave the ring with his second world title in as many divisions. “The goal is to win Luevano’s world title and that’s what I’m coming to do. I’m not coming looking for the knockout but if he presents itself I will take it,” said Lopez.
Fight fans at Elbe Park in Magdeburg, Germany, were thrilled when world champions Robert Stieglitz, Ina Menzer and Ramona Kühne engaged in a public workout in advance of their title fights on Saturday at Bördelandhalle. Also on hand was world title challenger Ruben Acosta, unbeaten heavyweight contender Denis Boytsov (pictured above), unbeaten heavyweight Manuel Charr, former heavyweight title challenger Owen Beck and highly regarded world amateur world champion “Golden Jack” Culcay. Click for more photos…
After nine hours of mediation with retired federal judge Daniel Weinstein, the proposed March 13 super fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao is no closer to fruition. Among those on hand at Tuesday’s meeting in Santa Monica were Bob Arum and Todd duBoef of Top Rank, Oscar De La Hoya and Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy and Mayweather’s manager Al Haymon. Weinstein has placed a gag order on the proceedings, so neither camp is talking although negotiations are said to be ongoing.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
On Sunday January 3, Gonzalo Rivera passed away in Puerto Ordaz, Estado de Bolivar in Venezuela. Rivera was held many positions in boxing. He was a judge in national and international fights, the president of the Fedelatin, WBA Championship Chairman, WBA Ratings Chairman, a member of the WBA International Officials Committee as well as the head of the Commission of Professional Boxing of Aragua State in Venezuela. Rivera always showed great professionalism and commitment toward his work, with love to the sport. A WBA resolution was signed by Gilberto Mendoza which read “Mr. Rivera was an inspiration of a family united by moral and ethical principles.”
ESPN Friday Night Fights invades Pechanga Resort Casino in Temecula, CA on February 12 featuring the dangerous Tyrone Harris 25-5-0, 16 KO against the highly touted Korean Puncher Ji-Hoon Kim 19-5-0, 16 KO in a 10 round jr. lightweight bout. The undercard will feature some great young talent including Russian prospect Ruslan Provodnick in a 10 round co-feature. Also on the card will be a local favorite from Temecula, welterweight Dashon Johnson 8-2-2, 4 KO in a 6 round bout. One of the United States’ top young amateurs, Garret Simon, will make his California debut in the heavyweight division in a four round bout. Legendary heavyweight champion Smokin’ Joe Frazier on hand to sign autographs and meet the fans. The show will feature a total of 6 bouts and be broadcast live on ESPN2, beginning at 6:00 p.m.
The WBA has called a purse bid for a showdown between WBA super lightweight champion Amir Khan and interim titleholder Marcos Maidana. The bidding will take place at 11AM on Monday, January 18th at the WBA’s Panama office. The bidding will be directed by Gilberto Jesus Mendoza and Jose Oliver Gomez.
By Rick Scharmberg
Mike “No Joke” Stewart (44-7-2, 23 KOs), of New Castle, DE, returns to the ring on Friday, February 26 at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino in Dover, Delaware. Stewart will face WBF welterweight champion Brandon “The Business” Baue (12-3, 10 KOs), of Troy, Missouri in the eight-round main event. The co-feature will pit New Castle’s “Rockin’” Ryan Belasco (11-4-3, 3, 3 KOs) taking on Julias Edmunds (5-6), of Philadelphia in an interesting welterweight bout. (more…)
The IBF held a purse bid today for the IBF Mini Flyweight Championship mandatory defense between champion Raul Garcia and Nkosinathi Joyi. Branco Sports Productions won with a bid of $ 160,000 over Top Rank’s bid of $125,000. The winning bidder has 90 days to put the fight on.
Super middleweight prospect Donovan “Da Bomb” George (18-0-1, 16 KOs) will face off against Minnesota’s Phil “The Drill” Williams (11-2, 10 KOs) on January 29th in the main event at Chicago’s UIC Pavilion. “With 26 knockouts amongst their 29 victories these two should provide an all action fight from the start. They’re both very hard hitting super middleweights, it will just be a matter of who can take the other guy’s shot better, “Da Bomb or the The Drill” said Dominic Pesoli, President of 8 Count Productions. “This truly is a crossroads fight for both guys, for each one it’s the toughest test of their careers.” The co-main event brings the return of power punching Chicago based prospect Ivan Popoca (12-0-1, 8 KOs) in an eight round welterweight battle against impressive Michigan newcomer Federico Flores Jr. (6-3, 2 KOs). Also just added, undefeated Chicago welterweights Ryan Smedick (4-0-1, 1 KO) and Achour Esho (5-0, 4 KOs) will square off in a scheduled six rounder, the first for each prospect.
Anthony Mundine’s decision to forego a quest for the International Boxing Organization’s junior middleweight title next week in Australia is his own – and not based on undue influence or conflict from the IBO – according to its president, Ed Levine. Mundine had been scheduled to meet Robert Medley for the IBO’s vacant 154-pound championship on Jan. 11 in Sydney, but the fight – if held at all – will no longer be for the IBO belt and is more likely to be fought at middleweight, Levine said. A January 6 report in the Sydney Morning Herald cited Mundine’s displeasure with the IBO stemming from review of his May defeat of Daniel Geale for the organization’s 160-pound title – which Mundine relinquished upon requesting sanction for the 154-pound bout with Medley. Levine, however, said it’s more likely Mundine’s decision is based on other factors. “Our opinion is that Mundine’s current failure to honor his contractual obligations to the IBO and Medley are purely based on his inability to make the weight and/or his reluctance to accept two international officials and the costs attendant to putting on a world title fight,” Levine said. (more…)
Unbeaten WBO Inter-Continental cruiserweight champion Denis Lebedev of Russia (19-0, 14 KOs) will next take on Ignacio Esparza (16-1, 12 KOs) of Mexico. The bout will take place February 22nd in Russia.
In the last 18 months, fast-growing promoter TKO Boxing has, literally, appeared out of nowhere to rack up 30 shows. During the next 12 months, there are another 30 shows in the works. Fightnews.com recently sat down with the company’s president, Chet Koerner, to discuss TKO’s future . . . Click here for more
By Ray Wheatley–World of Boxing
Former world title challenger Robert Medley is confident of defeating Anthony Mundine next Monday at the Entertainment Center in Sydney, NSW, Australia. Medley’s trainer Graham Shaw said, “Rob has looked great in the gym in sensational sparring sessions against WBO rated 168 pounder Peter Kariuki and also his world middleweight contender Daniel Geale. He is physically and mentally 100% ready to defeat Mundine. We have the advantage of having Daniel Geale as a sparring partner. Medley and Geale have sparred each other on a regular basis for over three years. Geale defeated Mundine last May but did not get the decision. The Mundine vs Medley is now being contested at the middleweight poundage (160) instead of the originally agreed weight of 154 pounds. I knew Mundine would have trouble making that weight — he struggles to make middleweight. Next Monday, Mundine is in for one of his toughest fights against Medley who is totally focused.” Televised nationally on Foxtel Main Event Pay-Per View. Promoter: Tony Mundine Sr.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
The possibility exists that current IBF featherweight world champion Cristobal “Lacandon” Cruz of Mexico could defend his crown against countryman former WBO bantamweight champion Jhonny González. Other options for Cruz include a rematch with Ricardo “Piolo” Castillo, with whom he had a three round technical draw last December 19 in Chiapas, Mexico. Other sources mentioned February 27 as a possible date with a location to be determined, possibly again in Chiapas, Mexico.
The Association of Boxing Commissions Compliance Committee has directed Fight Fax to list all future boxing results which occur on the Isleta reservation to be listed as non-supervised fights. The ABC sent a letter to the Isleta Athletic Commission on December 16th asking their commission to prove their legal existence. No response was received by the ABC, therefore, the ABC Compliance Committee felt it necessary to take action. (more…)
The interim WBC lightweight champion, Antonio DeMarco (23-1-1, 17 KOs) of Los Mochis, MX, began his training camp mid December in his adopted hometown of Tijuana, MX, for his challenge for the full fledged WBC title of Venezuela’s Edwin Valero (26-0, 26 KOs) on February 6th in Monterrey, MX. “We had a good rest, we went home to Los Mochis and I visited my family. We got back and began training in mid December. They called us about the fight and we came back to train, it’s not such a big deal, this is our work and it is what we love to do and we are ready,” DeMarco stated after an intense training session. (more…)
By Rick Scharmberg
Former “Contender Season One” star Ahmed “Babyface” Kaddour (21-2-1, 9 KOs), of Aarhus, Denmark has signed a standard three-year deal with promoter Nedal Abuhumoud, of New Jersey. Kaddour recently returned to the ring after nearly three years with a decision over Mike Ermis on September 9, 2009 in Denmark. Nedal is also making a comeback after a year out of the sport due to the illness and subsequent passing of his father. Nedal initially brought Lebanon-born Kaddour to the USA back in 2003. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.