email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Budler, Liebenberg defending belts in Monte Carlo
- Boxing Buzz
- Fonfara: If I want to think about a rematch with Adonis, I must beat guys like Ngumbu
- Karpency Bros headline Nov 21 in WV
- WBA interim heavyweight champ Ortiz fails drug test
- The Ultimate Fighter Takes on Breast Cancer Awareness
- "Renegade" Robles Back in San Diego this Friday
- McDonnell: I am not scared to have a fight and I want to prove myself against the best
- Werdum Focused on Title, Not Opponent
- Tyson Fury removes gag and calls out Anthony Joshua, says he'll fight Joshua in December "after smashing Chisora!"
- Murray-Spada Press Conference
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Former WBA champion Juan Carlos Salgado has just joined the ranks of the Mexican promotional firm HG Boxing headed Hector Garcia. He will fight under the HG Boxing banner February 26 in the Zamna Poliforum in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico against an opponent to be determined. “This association with HG Boxing has motivated me to give my best and try to regain a world championship, something that along with Hector Garcia can be crystallized by the end of this year,” said Salgado. He is training with the legendary “Nacho” Beristain at the famed La Romanza Gym honing his speed and sparring.
By Ray Wheatley–World of Boxing
Photos by Johnny Chaichotchuang
Former world rated Fahsai Sakkreerin (31-2, 16 KOs) chopped down Roel Laguna ( 11-5-2, 7 KOs) of the Philippines in six action rounds in a nationally televised scheduled twelve round bout with the IBF Pan Pacific 130 pound title up for grabs at the Thonburi University, Bangkok, Thailand on Wednesday. Sakkreerin was at his best as he dropped the tough Filipino with a perfectly delivered left hook to the jaw in round two. Laguna was in trouble again in round four after the Thai connected with a right hand, left hook combination to the head. In round five an accidental head clash left Laguna with a cut over his left eye. In round six Laguna was in trouble on the ropes and could not defend himself when referee Sanong Au Im stopped the contest at 45 seconds of the round. For more details and photos click here…
All the shots from today’s workout at the Top Rank Gym in Las Vegas, featuring Mike Jones, Nonito Donaire and Fernando Montiel. Photos by Chris Cozzone: Click here to view
Photos: Team Soto Karass
In his mind Jesus Soto Karass has no doubt that he beat Mike Jones last year in their fight at the Cowboy Stadium in Dallas, but he also knows that he will have to be better if he wants to beat Jones when they meet this Saturday at the Mandalay Bay in a fight to be televised by HBO. For more details and photos click here…
Although this has been known for awhile now, Golden Boy officially announced the April 9 PPV card at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. In the main event, five-time and three-division World Champion Erik “El Terrible” Morales (51-6, 35 KOs) returns to the pugilistic forefront when he faces power-punching Argentinean Marcos “El Chino” Maidana (29-2, 27 KOs) in a classic battle for pride, honor and glory. Also featured will be former Undisputed Junior Middleweight World Champion and future Hall of Famer Winky Wright (51-5-1, 25 KOs) returning to the ring to face exciting European Champion Matthew Macklin (28-2, 19 KOs) in a classic crossroads battle. The event will also showcase what promises to be a slugfest between former World Champions Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (28-1-1, 18 KOs) and Michael Katsidis “The Great” (27-3, 22 KOs).
Photos: Fernando “Cochulito” Montiel and Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire gave the media a sneak peek of their fitness today at the Top Rank Gym in Las Vegas. Montiel worked the speed bag and shadow boxed a couple rounds while Donaire revealed his six-pack. Stay tuned for a photo gallery later today.
Photo: Looking more like a light-heavyweight than a welterweight, Mike Jones worked gave the media a workout today at the Top Rank Gym in las Vegas. Pumped and psyched for Saturday, Jones says he is ready for his rematch with Jesus Soto-Karass. Stay tuned for more photos from today’s workout of Nonito Donaire and Fernando Montiel. Soto-Karass is expected to hit Vegas tonight sometime.
This Friday night at Coliseo Pachin Vicens in Ponce, Puerto Rico, former WBO Welterweight Champion Carlos “El Indio” Quintana (27-3, 21 KOs) will face Ghana’s Ishmael Tetteh (21-6-2, 10 KOs) in a 10-round junior middleweight main event. The undercard will feature the highly anticipated lightweight pro debut of 2009 World Championships silver medalist and 2008 Olympian José Pedraza, as well as undefeated junior middleweight KO artist Jonathan “Mantequilla” Gonzalez (11-0, 11 KOs). Both Pedraza and Gonzalez are part of the “Team Puerto Rico” promotional alliance between, among others, Gary Shaw Productions and DiBella Entertainment.
Algerian promoters, with government authorization, have fixed March 25th as a definite date for the WBC final elimination bout in the super lightweight division between Ali Chebah (35-1, 28 KOs) and Ajose Olusegun (Nigeria 29-0, 14 KOs) to be held in Algeria. The late Prince Adeboye, member of the WBC Board of Governors, worked up to the last moment so that Olusegun had an opportunity to fight for the WBC world title.
Prize Fight’s Fernando Guerrero and Shawn Porter are no strangers to live television, having been some of the most nationally exposed young prospects in boxing today. They return Friday in 3D in the inaugural telecast of ESPN Friday Night 3D Fights from Guerrero’s hometown of Salisbury, MD. The uber-popular Guerrero (20-0, 16 KOs) puts his NABF title and his world ranking on the line at the the Wicomico Civic Center against Derrick “Superman” Findley (17-4, 11 KOs) in the ten-round main event. Porter (17-0, 13 KOs) will put his NABF welterweight strap on the line against Anges Adjaho (25-4, 14 KOs). Also unbeaten middleweight Dominic Wade (10-0, 8 KOs) faces undefeated southpaw Grover Young (4-0, 2 KOs). Doors open at 7:00 p.m. with the first fight at 8:00 p.m. The ESPN broadcast will start at 9:00 p.m. To see the fight in 3D, you need 1) a 3D-ready TV, 3D glasses and a special 3D-ready box from your cable provider.
In the presence of WBC President Jose Sulaiman and WBC Executive Director Mauricio Sulaiman, the purse bid for the rematch between WBC Lightheavyweight world champion Jean Pascal and challenger Bernard Hopkins was conducted with Golden Boy Promotions winning with a bid of $1,911,500. GYM (Groupe Yvon Michel) bid $1,700,000. The WBC light heavyweight title as well as the WBC Diamond belt will be on the line in the bout. The date that was mentioned as likely to hold the fight is May 21st, and in a few days the place will be announced.
Photo: Gerry Weber World
Marco Huck (31-1, 23 KOs) has promised his fans another spectacular KO victory. The WBO Cruiserweight Champion makes a sixth defence of his title at Halle´s Gerry Weber Stadium on April 2 when he comes face-to-face with former champion Giacobbe Fragomeni (27-3-1, 11 KOs). “There is a reason why I am the champion and not you,” Huck said at today’s official press conference. “I am better and stronger and I will put you down. This is where I grew up, so I will have a lot of fans supporting me, and I will deliver them a spectacular night of boxing.” (more…)
By Felipe Leon
During this morning’s Saul “Canelo” Alvarez-Matthew “Magic” Hatton tele-conference, it was confirmed that the WBC had accepted Golden Boy Promotions’s request to name the twelve round bout for the vacant WBC super welterweight title. Here are a few quick quotes:
Oscar De La Hoya: “We are very happy and grateful that the fight is for the WBC super welterweight title that Manny Pacquiao vacated. We are expecting a great fight. The two participants are preparing for a war and styles make fights. The WBC did the right thing. Alvarez is ranked #1 and ‘Perro’ Angulo has some visa issues, Margarito is fighting Cotto for the WBO title. This is the logical thing.”
Saul “Canelo” Alvarez: “I am happy to dispute for the title. I was already motivated but this only adds to it. I am not motivated in trying to shut people mouths, I do it for my career. This is what were have been working for. I expect to win this fight and I know it is going to be tough. I have said that this is the year I go after the big names.”
Matthew “Magic” Hatton: “This is fantastic news. Every kid that laces up gloves has a dream to become a world champion. In boxing you never know what is going to happen. I feel ready to fight for a world title. It’s a fantastic opportunity. I think I am not only in the position to fight for the super welterweight title but to win it.”
Hard Hittin’ Promotions president Jacqueline Cartelli announced today that “The Willie Pep Boxing Classic” will be held on April 9th at the Connecticut Convention Center in Hartford, Connecticut. The company plans to put on a show every three months. Headlining the initial show will be popular heavyweight Tony Grano (17-2-1, 13 KOs), on the comeback trail following an upset TKO defeat to Nicolay Firtha in his last bout. Before that, Grano scored an upset of his own when he stopped previously unbeaten Travis Kaufmann in the third round on a ShoBox televised card.
The co-feature has former IBF world lightweight title challenger Israel “Pito” Cardona (36-10) against Luis Maysonet (32-11). The featured undercard match will pit extremely popular unbeaten super featherweight prospect Joey “Chip” Perez (5-0) against former amateur star Charles Vanderveer. Perez is trained by former IBF world light heavyweight title challenger “Iceman” John Scully. Tickets are $40, $60, $80 and $100. Call 860-402-4838.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
WBC light flyweight world champion Gilberto Keb Baas and his challenger WBC former world champion Jose Antonio ¨Jaguar¨ Aguirre are in the their final stages of training for their match on February 26 at Poliforum Zamna in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico. Keb has been preparing with WBC silver flyweight beltholder Wilbert “Huracan” Uicab and Jose “Taquerito” Ramirez and is nearing the fight weight. Fighters must arrive in Merida by Sunday. The event, billed as “Prueba de Fuego” is presented by promoters José “Pepe” Gomez, HG Boxing Hector Garcia and Juan Diego Arjona of Arjona Promotions.
Tickets are now on sale for WBO light heavyweight champion Jürgen Brähmer’s mandatory title defense against interim beltholder Nathan Cleverly on April 2nd at Wembley Arena in London. European lightweight champion John Murray tops an undercard featuring top British prospects. Seats are £50, £75, £100 and £150 available from Ticketmaster.
By Brett Bonetti
Fightnews caught up with Australia’s heavyweight Boxing prospect Mark “The Dominator” who is back in Australia for a short time. (more…)
InterBox has announced that it has reached an agreement with Alfredo Marchio, promoter of Fulgencio Zuniga (24-5-1, 21 KOs) of Colombia, to have Zuniga box against Repentigny, Quebec’s Renan St-Juste (22-2-1, 15 KOs) in the semi-final spot of the InterBox March 19th show that will take place at Montreal’s Bell Centre. A significant victory by current NABO champion Renan St-Juste would propel him up towards a major fight before the end of 2011. The main event of this gala will feature IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute (27-0, 22 KOs) making his Showtime Championship Boxing debut against southpaw Brian Magee (34-3-1, 24 KOs) of Lisburn City, Northern Ireland. Bute will be looking for his 7th consecutive title defense. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
WBA featherweight titleholder Jonathan Victor Barros will defend his crown against Mexican challenger Miguel Roman in Mendoza, Argentina on March 12 at an event organized by promoter Osvaldo Rivero. Sources say Rivero reached an agreement with Roman’s representatives Promociones del Pueblo. “Mickey” Roman has won his last five fights and has never been stopped. Barros was scheduled to defend against Mexican Marcos Lopez on February 19 or 26 February in Panama but that bout fell through.
For undefeated lightweight contender Mercito “No Mercy” Gesta (20-0-1, 10 KOs), 2011 is the year – not just any year but the year that he will leave his mark in the boxing world.
His first step towards that comes this Friday night, February 18th, when Gesta faces Genaro Trazancos (22-13-1, 13 KOs) in an eight-round main event from the Longshoreman’s Hall in San Francisco, and broadcast on Telefutura’s “Solo Boxeo Tecate”. The fight card is presented by Golden Boy Promotions with Don Chargin Promotions in association with Jorge Marron Productions . . . Click here for more
The January announcement that former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar was going to coach season 13 of The Ultimate Fighter was met with a blitz of positive press and an equally enthusiastic response from fans . . Click here for more by Thomas Gerbasi, UFC.com
Photos: Rafael Soto / Zanfer
Three-time world champion and current WBO and WBC bantamweight champion. Fernando “Kochulito” Montiel trained today at the Top Rank Gym in Las Vegas. Montiel will defend his titles this Saturday against Nonito Donaire at the Mandalay Bay and will be telecast by HBO. more photos
By Gary “Digital” Williams
On Saturday, the 12th of March, Great Falls, VA’s Jimmy Lange will headline his 12th show at the George Mason University Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA. The opponent for Lange will be the “Fighting Schoolteacher” Jimmy Holmes of DeMotte, IN. The bout will be a scheduled 10-rounder that will be fought at 160 pounds. Lange (34-4-2, 24 KO’s) is coming off the 2010 Beltway Boxing Knockout of the Year — a 10th round stoppage of Joe Wyatt November 6 at the Patriot Center. Lange won the NABA Junior Middleweight title with the win, but he will not be defending the title in this bout. Holmes (19-1-2, one NC, 10 KO’s) scored a first-round TKO over Joseph Harden on December 17 in Hammond, IN. Holmes is indeed a schoolteacher as he teaches physical education at an elementary school in Roselawn, IN.
The co-feature will be a 10-round rematch between former three-time WBA Middleweight champion William Joppy and Maryland State Super Middleweight titleholder Cory “Black Ice” Cummings. The two men met on November 6 at the Patriot Center and fought to a spirited 10-round majority draw. Joppy got the nod on one of the scorecards, 96-94, while the other two judges saw an even contest at 95-95. (more…)
Ringside report by Gerardo Martinez
Photos by Raymond Mares
Saturday night, the boisterous crowd at the Sky Ute Casino Events Center in Ignacio, Colo., waited close to year to see their hometown favorite, Elco “The Animal” Garcia (24-7, 12 KO’s), add a another fourth straight TKO to his record, but Nebraska’s Patrick “Big Pat” Thompson (16-16-1, 6 KO’s) wanted no part of it . . . Click here for more
On a five-bout winning streak since his “Fight of the Year” candidate with Antonio Escalante a year ago, Juarez contender Miguel “Mickey” Roman (33-7, 25 KOs) has earned himself a shot at the WBA World Featherweight Champion Jonathan Victor Barros (31-1-1, 18 KOs). Rated No. 9 by the WBA, Roman will journey either to Barros’ country of Argentina, Mexico or Panama for the fight. Roman’s promoter, Promociones del Pueblo, is negotiating with Barros’ camp on the location.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.