email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Prospects impress in Quebec
- Cruz destroys Valenzuela
- Weights from Toluca
- Enriquez wins WBO female flyweight belt
- Robinson, Guerrero score KOs
- World title twinbill in Japan today
- Diaz rallies to stay unbeaten; Marrero, Khytrov stop foes
- Update: Algieri makes weight for Pacquiao clash
- Hitz says George-Pascal clash is still on
- Fight Night Austin at the scales
- Report: George pulls out of Pascal fight
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
By Boxing Bob Newman
Adam Neary’s Ares Promotions continues their highly successful “Fight Night” series on Friday, October 28, 2011 at Albany, New York’s Empire State Plaza. Dubbed “Trick Or Beat” in keeping with the Halloween atmosphere, the show promises beatings galore. Headlined by Cleveland, Ohio’s undefeated Chris “The Irish Ghost” Fitzpatrick, 14-0, 5 KOs, taking on Jose “Stinger” Medina of Tilton, New Hampshire, the eight bout card features loads of local flavor as well. (more…)
By Ron Jackson
Luzuko Siyo makes the first defence of his South African junior flyweight title when he meets Sebelomzi Zimela at the Orient Theatre in East London on Sunday October 23 This is a voluntary defence for Siyo 9-0; 7 from Duncan Village in the Eastern Cape who made his pro debut Sep 29, 2008 with a third round stoppage win over Sinethemda Magibesela. He then racked up seven victories with only two going the distance against Lwazi Nduneni and Motswaki Moselsele On June 3 this year he knocked out Monwabisi Ngundwana in the eighth round in Port Alfred to win the vacant SA title. The title became vacant when Sizwe Sinyabi was stripped after he failed a medical prior to his contest with Monwabisi Gundwana. Zimela from Mthatha is ranked at number ten in the most recent Boxing South Africa ratings and was most impressive in June this year when he stopped Prince Msane in the fourth round. On the same card former South African junior-bantamweight champion Unathi Gqokoma returns to action when he faces Thabo Sishwana in a clash for the vacant Eastern Cape junior bantamweight title. The tournament is presented by Mzi Mnguni of Eyethu Promotions.
On October 28th, former heavyweight contender Gerald “The Jedi” Nobles will return against Joseph Rabotte in a six round clash at Harrahs in Chester, Pennsylvania, that will be promoted by Joey Eye Boxing Promotions. Nobles of Philadelphia has a record of 26-1 with 21 KOs and will be making his first start in four years. Rabotte is 11-18-1 with 3 KOs. In the main event, Tony Ferrante will take on Tommy Karpency in a ten round battle for the Pennsylvania State light heavyweight championship,
By Graham Houston
The term “firestorm of controversy” comes to mind. After the big-fight fiasco involving Chad Dawson and Bernard Hopkins in Los Angeles on Saturday night the boxing world seems to be talking about little else. One thing is becoming clear. The original verdict of a second-round TKO win for Dawson is not going stand for much longer. It seems inevitable that the California commission will shortly declare the bout to have been a “no decision.”
Initially, I could not understand all the outrage when Hopkins essentially resigned himself from the fight and referee Pat Russell ruled that Dawson was the winner. Yes, Dawson had shouldered Hopkins off him — not too violently in my opinion — and the 46-year-old light-heavyweight champion had fallen awkwardly. However, in the referee’s opinion, on the night, there had been no foul. Therefore, if Hopkins says he is too badly injured to continue, and in the referee’s view he hadn’t been fouled, then the result would surely be a TKO win for Dawson?
What is happening, though, is that many people in boxing, including experienced and respected officials, are saying that despite what the referee ruled, there clearly was an accidental foul. (more…)
Returning UFC welterweight contender Nick Diaz will get his UFC 137 main event after all, as UFC President Dana White announced via twitter Tuesday afternoon that 170-pound champion Georges St-Pierre has been forced to withdraw from his October 29th title defense against Carlos Condit due to a knee injury.
Diaz, who was originally scheduled to face GSP in the UFC 137 main event before being pulled from the bout due to two press conference no shows, will now see his three-round bout with BJ Penn elevated to the main event a week from Saturday. . . . Click here for more
. . . .
For more on UFC 137 or the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
James “Lights Out” Toney will depart for Moscow, Russia, this Wednesday, October 19, in advance of his meeting with WBA #1 cruiserweight contender Denis Ledbedev at the Khodynka Ice Palace on November 4. Wishing to get fully acclimated to the region, Toney (73-6-3, 44 KOs) will continue training in Moscow. 43-year-old Toney says he’s in the best physical shape he has been in years and he’s just putting the final touches on his camp and on fight night Operation Lights Out in Russia will be in full effect.
“You aint gonna see no lay down like Bernard Hopkins did,” said the former champion at middleweight, super middleweight and cruiserweight. “I will be there to kick his ass right in front of his people. He likes to wait until fighters from my generation get old and that’s made him feel like he can fight. But I’m going to show him what a big mistake he made thinking he can pull that with me.”
Former world champion Carlos “El Indio” Quintana will face hard puncher prospect Jorge “Destroyer” Melendez next October 29 at the Coliseo Mario “Quijote” Morales in Guaynabo, where former two time champion Ivan “Iron Boy” Calderon will fight Raul “Rayito” Garcia for the interim World Boxing Organization (WBO) minimum title in a PR Best Boxing Promotions (PRBBP) presentation as part of the 24th WBO Annual Convention.
Headlining the card, Calderón (34-2-1, 6 KOs) will face García (30-2-1, 18 KOs) for the 105lb interim championship, while Argentinian Yessica Yolanda Bopp (16-0, 7 KOs) will defend her WBO junior flyweight belt against Suzane Warner (9-10-1, 2 KOs) in a 10 round bout.
In a co-feature fight, Quintana (28-3, 22 KOs), a former WBO welterweight champion and seventh ranked by the WBO in 154 pounds will face Meléndez (20-2-1, 20 KOs) for the WBO Latino junior middleweight title.
Meanwhile, former WBO super bantamweight champion Wilfredo Vázquez Jr. (20-1-1, 17 KOs) will fight for the WBO 122lb Intercontinental title against a foe to be named. (more…)
Undefeated NABO super featherweight beltholder Eloy “The Prince” Perez (22-0, 6 KOs) defends his title against Ira Terry (24-6, 14 KOs) on October 28th at Sherwood Hall, Salinas, CA, broadcast live on Telefutura. “I can’t wait to get back in the ring again so soon after my great KO victory in my last fight I want to thank my opponent for stepping up on such short notice,I look forward to giving my fans an amazing fight and a victory,” stated Perez. The event is promoted by Golden Boy Promotions in association with Don Chargin Productions and Paco Presents.
Photos: Chris Farina/Top Rank
World Bantamweight Champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire works out during media day at the Kingsway Gym in New York for his New York debut against undefeated Omar Narvaez of Argentina, Saturday, October 22 in the Theater at Madison Square Garden. Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Madison Square Garden, Donaire vs. Narvaez will be televised by HBO Boxing After Dark. Click here for more photos….
Happy birthday to longtime Florida promoter Felix “Tuto” Zabala who turns 74 today. The founder of All Star Boxing in Miami, he was a leading promoter and manager for forty years, handling world champions and top contenders before he suffered a massive stroke on January 8, 2001 which has kept him disabled in bed since.
In Playboy’s November issue (on newsstands now), Playboy Contributing Editor Kevin Cook spent time with P4P king Manny Pacquiao and got a rare glimpse into his world that involves incessant workouts with legendary trainer Freddie Roach, cockfighting, politics, boxing, heroic defeats and capturing the heart and soul of the Filipino people. As he prepares to fight Juan Manuel Marquez next month, the world still wonders when the much anticipated clash with Floyd Mayweather Jr. will finally take place?
Cruiserweight challenger Rogelio Rossi slept through today’s press training after his arrival in Germany was delayed for more than 24 hours. A volcanic ash cloud had grounded his original flight out of Buenos Aires, and it was not before Tuesday morning that Rossi (17-2-1, 11 KOs) eventually made it to Stuttgart airport. Instead of participating in the media workout, he went to his hotel to get some sleep. “My punches will wake him up on Saturday,” WBO Cruiserweight Champion Marco “Captain” Huck (33-1, 24 KOs) said. “But only to put him back to sleep immediately. I have trained for a hard fight because all challengers from Argentina are tough and aggressive. I want to put on another spectacular performance for my fans. It will be an entertaining night on Saturday.”
Also in action during today´s session was IBF Intercontinental Middleweight Champion Dominik Britsch (25-0, 9 KOs), who puts his title and unbeaten record on the line against former world title challenger Billy Lyell (24-9, 5 KOs).
After last Friday’s controversial heavyweight night in Obertraubling, Germany, headliners Alexander Petkovic and Konstantin Airich look back on the fights with mixed feelings. While Petkovic cannot be happy with his lousy performance and bad acting which brought him an undeserved DQ win over Cisse Salif, new IBF intercontinental champion Konstantin Airich celebrates his first round KO and is already thinking about his next steps. (more…)
By Pepe Rodriguez / WBC
Photo by Jose Luis Camarillo
Today Edgar Sosa and Thai southpaw WBC flyweight world champion Pongsaklek Wonjongkam received the medical approval of the Thailand Boxing Commission, on the way to their next title bout to be held next Friday in the 11st Infantry Arena. Sosa and Wonjongkam, went to Paolo Memorial Hospital, and after a blood pressure test, both marked 120-80, and 110-80, respectively. The event was supervised by Mr. Edward Thangarajah, WBC supervisor. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Cuban prospect Yoandris Salinas (13-0, 8 KOs) will face former WBA bantamweight champion Nehomar Cermeno at 122 pounds on Saturday at the WBA “KO to Drugs” Festival at the Roberto Duran Arena in Panama. Cermeno was scheduled against Chris Avalos, who pulled out and Salinas took his place. Salinas is part of Dream Team Boxing Promotions and is a fighter with good technique and a lot of talent. The same night, stablemate Richard April faces Miguel “Aguacerito” Acosta.
By Ron Jackson
Takalani Ndlovu will make the first defence of his IBF junior featherweight title when he faces Giovanni Caro in Mexico on October 29. The fight is scheduled to take place at the Palenque de la Ferla in Colima. The South African, whose record stands at 32-6, with 18 knockouts, won the belt on March 26 this year when he outpointed Canadian Steve Molitor at the Nasrec Indoor Arena near Johannesburg. He had lost to Molitor in two previous title bouts.
Ndlovu’s handlers were offered fights in Russia and Thailand for his voluntary defence. However, Promoter Branco Milenkovic opted to take the fight to Mexico because of his previous connections with the promoters HG Boxing. It will not be an easy task for the champion, who has to go fight the 27-year-old Caro in his home country. Caro has a record of 22-9-4, with 17 stoppage wins. (more…)
According to Mexican media outlet Marco.com, boxer Rafael Guzman of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico was murdered last night in his native Guadalajara, Mexico. Guzman was shot 8 times by a passing vehichle that was occupied by two passengers. Guzman was in the backseat of his car at the time of the shooting. Reports are that Guzman attempted to escape after the initial shots but was unable to advance more than 100 meters. When police arrived on the scene Guzman had already passed away. No official word on the reasoning for the attack or who fired the shots and if they were caught. Guzman had a record of (28-3-1, 20 KOs) with his biggest fight coming earlier this year June 4th on HBO at the Staples Center against unbeaten highly world ranked featherweight Mikey Garcia. Guzman took that fight on very short notice for the opportunity. Fightnews sends its sincerest condolences to the Guzman family.
For over a decade, few have captured the imagination of fight fans quite like the pride of Hilo, Hawaii, BJ Penn. One of only two fighters in UFC history to win titles in two weight classes, he has built a loyal fanbase due not only to his fighting skill and willingness to take on anyone in a fight, but also his no holds barred approach to life, where he will always say what’s on his mind and then worry about the consequences later. Subsequently, he’s the most quotable MMA fighter this side of Chael Sonnen, and here’s just a taste of some of the things Penn has revealed over the years as we get ready for another round of “The Prodigy” in the lead up to his UFC 137 bout against Nick Diaz on October 29th . . . Click here for more by Thomas Gerbasi, UFC.com
. . . .
For more on UFC 137 or the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
By Ray Wheatley–World of Boxing
Former world rated heavyweight Alex Leapai (23-3-3, 18 KOs) will be in action on Friday at the Broncos Leagues Club, Red Hill, Queensland, Australia when he will clash with giant Russian Evgeny Orlov (13-9-1, 8 KOs) in a scheduled ten round contest. Orlov, 6’9″ arrived on Monday and is confident he will defeat the hard punching Samoan born Australian Alex Leapai. “Orlov has come to Australia to win but we are confident Alex will be victorious,” said promoter Noel Thornberry. “Orlov has extended several world class heavyweights including Kubrat Pulev losing by DQ in seven rounds and took the classy Italian Francesca Pianeta the distance. Alex is highly regarded by Boxrec who have rated him above several heavyweights who are rated in the WBC, WBA and IBF.” Leapai holds wins over American heavyweights Owen Beck, Travis Walker and Darnell Wilson. In his most recent contest he stopped former WBC heavyweight challenger Peter OkHello in three rounds.
By Mary Ann Owen
Former world champion and Floyd Mayweather trainer Roger Mayweather talks about Mayweather haters.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.