email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Salido-Kokietgym Final Press Conference
- Weights from Horseshoe Hammond
- Boxing Buzz
- Narvaez, Orucuta make weight
- Weights from Philadelphia
- Mchunu-Wilson press conference
- Siberian Rocky vs Pittsburgh Kid?
- Thomas Dulorme inks with manager Cameron Dunkin
- Tonight's Brooklyn boxing card postponed
- Chemito Moreno update
- Rod Salka returns on Nov 14
Colombian power puncher Alejandro “Naco” Berrio, former IBF super middleweight champion, has signed an exclusive promotional contract with Boxing 360 and proved how serious he is about recharging his career that he moved to New York City. “We’re excited to have Alejandro Berrio onboard,” Boxing 360 Founder and CEO Mario Yagobi said. “We’re going to have him campaign as a super middleweight and he’ll be fighting for the first time under our banner January 13 in Oklahoma.” Berrio (31-5, 28 KOs), who stopped previously unbeaten and present WBO titlist Robert Stieglitz 3 ½ years ago to capture the IBF crown, now lives in Queens and trains in the Bronx.
By Robert Coster
Promising Panama-based Jamaican featherweight WBA #12/WBO #13 Nicholas Walters (16-0, 13 KOs) duels with former title contender Gonzalo Munguia (17-7-1, 13 KOs) Saturday night at the Melia Hotel in Colon, Panama. Walters, who has been adopted by local fans, is taking a step up against Munguia, a tough scrapper from Nicaragua whose last fight was for the WBO world title in Puerto Rico against Roman Martinez. “We expect a tough fight from Munguia, a world class boxer,” says Walter’s manager Jacques Deschamps, “but we want to move Nicholas ahead this year and every fight from now on has to be meaningful in terms of his career progress.” The boxing card in Colon is the last one of the year presented by Premium Boxing Promotions. At stake will be Walters’ WBA Fedelatin title headlining a nine-bout card that will also feature Haitian Jr welterweight prospect Evens Pierre and neo-pros Eric Walters (brother of Nicholas) and Venezuelan Luis Valero(brother of Edwin Valero).
By Rick Scharmberg
According to his manager Dave Escalet, former world title challenger Lajuan “Simply Marvelous” Simon (23-3-2, 12 KOs) suffered a broken bone above the middle finger on his left hand during his split-decision upset loss to Dionisio “Mr. Nocaut” Miranda (21-6-2, 18 KOs) on December 3 at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino. “They will be placing pins to hold the broken bone in place. He will be operated on Thursday and will resume training in 6 to 8 weeks. This occurred during the seventh round of the fight in his split decision loss to Miranda,” said Escalet.
NABF Champion Johnathon Banks and former European Champion Luan Krasniqi participated yesterday in a press conference to announce their upcoming fight on February 26 at Arena Ludwigsburg in Ludwigsburg, Germany. The winner of this heavyweight matchup will move a step closer of getting a world title opportunity.
Johnathon Banks, 25-1-1 with 17 KOs, is rated #7 in the world by the WBC and #8 by the IBF. Banks won the NABF title in March 2010 with a dramatic 6th round KO of Travis Walker in the ESPRIT Arena in Düsseldorf. This victory was voted KO of the year by the NABF and he has since defended the NABF title twice. Banks has built up a large fan base in Germany as his second home, and is one of the main training partners of IBF/WBO/IBO Heavyweight Champion Wladimir Klitschko. (more…)
Photos: Photo Wende
WBO Cruiserweight Champion Marco “Captain” Huck had a special present for his opponent at today’s final press conference in Berlin. The 26-year-old gave mandatory challenger Denis Lebedev a plastic belt. “It’s Christmas time and I don’t want you to leave Berlin empty-handed,” Huck said to the stunned Russian. “This belt is for you. The real belt will stay here. You will never get it.”
On December 18th, the two hard-hitting cruiserweights will lock horns at Berlin’s Max-Schmeling-Halle. While Huck (30-1, 23 KOs) has already made four successful title defenses, Lebedev rides a perfect record of 21-0 with 16 KOs into the biggest fight of his life. “I am no big talker, I will show my power inside the ring,” was all he said on the podium today. His coach Valery Belov added: “We are not scared of anybody or anything and we are prepared for a big challenge on Saturday night.” (more…)
Story & photos by Felipe Leon
The three time world champion Erik “Terrible” Morales (50-6, 35 KOs) has one goal and one goal only, to be the first Mexican born fighter to win four titles in as many divisions. Nothing more, nothing less.
Morales, of Tijuana, Mexico, had his first opportunity for the fourth world title in ’07 but fell short to David Diaz via a unanimous decision. After a two year hiatus, Morales announced his comeback with a win over former lightweight champion Jose Alfaro in last March and then captured the WBC Silver light welterweight title against Willie Limond six months later. Originally slated to face former super featherweight champion Jorge “Hiena” Barrios this Saturday night in his hometown, Morales must now face late sub Francisco Lorenzo (35-8, 16 KOs) of Irvington, New Jersey, by way of the Dominican Republic . . . Click here for more
Relive the best fights of 2010 on UFC On Demand: Including Sotiropoulos vs Stevenson, Munoz vs Grove, Leben vs Akiyama and Fight of the Year candidate Garcia vs Jung, and for a limited time experience these fights at only 99 cents each! To see if your cable provider has UFC On Demand, visit ufcondemand.com
The knock on Donald Cerrone used to be his wrestling skills, or lack thereof. Not anymore. Fresh off the finest performance of his career, which saw him take down former collegiate wrestler Jamie Varner on several occasions, Cerrone has definitely served notice to future opponents that he can not only threaten with high-level kickboxing and jiu-jitsu, but also has the tools to put foes on their back. . . . Click here for more by Frank Curreri, WEC
For more info on WEC, go to www.WEC.tv
Photo: Stefan Springer
WBO mandatory challenger Denis Lebedev has won his last eight fights inside the distance – and is eyeing another early finish against home-town favourite, WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck. “I am in the best shape of my life,” said Lebedev. “Coming to Germany doesn’t bother me because I have fought all over the world before. I came to England to knock out Maccarinelli, and in my last fight I went to Germany and beat Alexander Alexeev in two rounds. Huck is in trouble on Saturday night. He is a very good fighter, and I respect all that he has achieved. But I plan to crush him. It has always been my dream to win the world title, and I am just one step away. I have been waiting a very long time for this opportunity. I have had to be patient, but now my time has come.”
By Alexey “Oscar” Potapov
A clash between IBF/WBO/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (55-3, 49 KOs) and WBA heavyweight champion David Haye (25-1, 23 KOs) could be in the works for the spring of 2011. Klitschko was scheduled to defend against Dereck Chisora (14-0, 9 KOs) on December 11th, but had to pull out due to an injury. The team of the Ukrainian champion now has four weeks to make a decision whether or not to reschedule that fight. In the meantime, negotiations for a Klitschko-Haye fight have already begun. If the camps come to an agreement, the fight against Chisora will be off.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
The three-time world champion Erik “Terrible” Morales isn’t worried by his new opponent Francisco Lorenzo. “I’ve trained hard for this date,” he said. “I acknowledge that Lorenzo is strong and has great experience, but my boxing career will make the difference that night.”
Boxing experts and fans expect that Lorenzo will be a great test for Morales, who is campaigning for a shot at a fourth world title.
Morales continued, “My goal right now is to win this fight, but my wish is to face my compatriot Juan Manuel Marquez. It has been said that when I was in a good place we couldn’t fight, but now he is in a good place and we can make a great fight. I know that Morales-Marquez would be a great fight for the Mexicans and the world of boxing. I feel the desire to fight and if the fight can be made, I can win!”
By Craig Watt
Photo: Team Dib
Australian IBF#5 ranked featherweight Billy “The Kid” Dib predicts that 2011 will be his defining year in the ring after racking up an impressive unbeaten run of ten wins since losing to Steve Luevano for the WBO 126 pound title in October 2008. He has always been known as a fighter with silky boxing skills but under the guidance of new coach Billy Hussein he has developed a more aggressive style with all his six wins in 2010 coming inside the distance.
He now stands with a record of 30-1 (18 KOs) and looks to land a title shot in 2011 in a division packed with such talented champions as Yuri Gamboa (IBF), Chris John (WBA) and Juan Manuel Lopez (WBO). Against this back drop of quality this will be no easy feat but one which the 25 year old from Sydney relishes. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Photo: Pepe Rodriguez/WBC
Looks like WBC middleweight world champion Sergio ‘Maravilla’ Martínez could defend his title against interim champion Sebastian Zbik in a mandatory fight to be held on March 12 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. ‘Maravilla’ has been in Mexico City this week where he visited the WBC offices and social institutions. The champion presented the trunks and robe he used when he dethroned Kelly Pavlik to WBC Executive Secretary Mauricio Sulaiman for enshrinement in the WBC Hall of Fame. Martinez, who was joined in Mexico by his manager Sampson Lewkowicz, did not hide his desire to fight Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather Jr., but first he has business to take care of with Zbik.
Italian company OPI 2000 (Salvatore and Christian Cherchi) will promote a boxing show on Friday in Rome, Italy. In the main event, Emanuele Della Rosa (24-1, 7 KOs) will fight unbeaten Nefzi Ayoub (16-0-1, 3 KOs) for the vacant WBC International super welterweight title. Della Rosa has only one loss, a split decision in Germany against Sebastian Zbik for the WBC interim middleweight title.
In the co-main event former two-time WBC middleweight title challenger Domenico Spada (31-3, 15 KOs) will fight Ruslan Pojonisevs (12-12-1, 9 KOs) in a eight-rounder, middleweight Emanuele Blandamura (12-0, 3 KOs) will fight Pavel Lotahs (5-9, 3 KOs) in a six-rounder, cruiserweight Andrea Moretti will fight Attila Makula over six rounds and lightweight Sonia Mirabelli will fight Ines Celik over four.
RAI SPORT 1 will broadcast the main event live in Italy at 22.30. For info and tickets go to www.opi2000.com.
Photos: Luc Grenier
Legendary future Hall of Famer and Two-Division World Champion Bernard Hopkins arrived in Québec City, Canada today, moving one step closer to his quest to defeat WBC Light Heavyweight World Champion Jean Pascal and become the oldest fighter in the history of boxing to win a prominent world title.
“This goes beyond being a champion,” Hopkins said when he arrived at Jean-Lesage International Airport in Québec City. “This is a grand opportunity. It is a situation I don’t take for granted. Saturday night you will see something unique. A 45-year-old man in a young man’s body is an amazing thing. I am here to prove that I can still compete and that I am something special.”
The age-defying, 45-year-old Hopkins will challenge Pascal THIS SATURDAY, Dec. 18, LIVE on SHOWTIME® at 10 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast) from the Pepsi Coliseum in Québec City. (more…)
Before future Hall of Famer Bernard Hopkins he faces WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal on December 18 live on SHOWTIME® in the U.S. and pay-per-view in Canada, a squad of undefeated locals featuring Kevin Bizier, Michael Zewski, Pier-Olivier Cote and Eric Martel-Bahoeli, will join standout fighters including former Junior Welterweight World Champion Paulie “The Magic Man” Malignaggi, highly-regarded contender Daniel “The Golden Child” Jacobs and unbeaten New Yorker Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin as they face off in respective bouts in front of an expected sold out arena of more than 16,000 fans at the Pepsi Coliseum in Quebec City, bringing some heat to the Great White North. If that wasn’t enough, there’s more with British heavyweight sensation Tyson Fury also appearing. (more…)
Photos: Jose Perez / PR Best Boxing Promotions
A historic night will come on January 22 when PR Best Boxing Promotions presents a new edition of the series “Noche de Campeones DIRECTV” live from the Bayamón Correctional Complex 1072 in Bayamón, Puerto Rico in a pay-per-view event. This will be the first time that a professional boxing event will be presented in a prison in Puerto Rico, with fight fans attending along with prisoners. PR Best Boxing Promotions is also celebrating it’s 10th aniversary in the sport. (more…)
By Przemek Garczarczyk
Photo: David Martin Warr/DKP
Heavyweight contender Odlanier Solis (16-0, 12 KOs), a three-time world amateur champion (unbeaten at major events) and Olympic gold medalist, still undefeated as a professional hopes that his name will be shortly recognized and mentioned the same way people are talking about world champions Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko and David Haye. “In couple of days in Miami, I will beat Ray Austin. Vitali is the next in line,” said the 30-year-old Cuban residing in Miami. (more…)
By Felipe Leon
Fightnews.com has just received confirmation from Team Morales that since Jorge Barrios can’t come out of Argentina, the new opponent for Erik Morales on Saturday in Tijuana is Dominican Francisco Lorenzo (35-8, 16 KOs), whose credentials include wins over world title holders Humberto Soto, Nate Campbell and Cristobal Cruz (twice). He fought Jorge Linares to a majority decision earlier this year in Linares’ native Venezuela earlier this year. Morales is looking to become the first fighter to stop Lorenzo.
Photos by Luc Grenier
WBC light heavyweight world champion Jean Pascal looked sharp Monday in a public workout at Place Laurier Shopping Mall in Quebec City, Canada. The young and talented Pascal will attempt to derail 45-year-old two-time former world champion Bernard Hopkins’ history-making plans to become the oldest fighter in boxing history to win a significant world title on Saturday at the Pepsi Coliseum in Québec City, Canada. The bout will be televised live on SHOWTIME in the United States at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT. (more…)
Photos courtesy Photo Wende
WBO cruiserweight champion Marco “Captain” Huck (30-1, 23 KOs) and undefeated mandatory challenger Denis Lebedev (21-0, 16 KOs) today participated in a media work-out in Berlin. On Saturday night, the two hard-hitting warriors will collide at the Max-Schmeling-Halle. While Huck worked the pads with coach Ulli Wegner, Lebedev refused to give the fans an in-depth look into his training. “I have prepared as always,” he said. “We had sparring partners who were very similar to Huck. That will be the key to victory. Tactic and strategy will determine the winner. I am at least as strong as Huck and I will take home the title.” For more details and photos click here…
Photos and report by Ricardo Conde
Bantamweight superstar Abner Mares (21-0-1, 13 KOs) of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico impressively defeated Vic “Raging Bull” Darchinyan (35-3-1, 27 KOs) via split decision after twelve exciting back-and-forth rounds in the co-main event of SHOWTIME’s Bantamweight Tournament this past Saturday at the Emerald Queen Casino in Tacoma, WA to claim the vacant WBC Silver bantamweight title. Mares took time to sit down and talk to us about his fight with Darchinyan, his upcoming fight with Joseph Agbeko and a lot more. (more…)
By Ron Jackson
Photo: Jeff Ellis
Rodney Berman of Golden Gloves Promotions has announced some of the details of the tournament scheduled for January 27 at Emperors Palace, Kempton Park to be headed by the IBO title fight between Hekkie Budler and Gideon Buthelezi.
In an all South African clash of champions Hekkie Budler (17-0, 5 KOs) defends his IBO junior flyweight belt against current IBO strawweight champion Gideon Buthelezi (10-2, 4 KOs). (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Unofficialy we have learned there is a chance that the former world champion Jorge “La Hiena” Barrios will not be able to face three-time world champion Erik “Terrible” Morales for the WBC super lightweight silver crown in the city of Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico. Apparently a judge presiding over a criminal case has refused permission for the Argentine boxer to travel abroad. The promoters of the fight are reviewing whether they can find a late replacement or if the bout should hold Morales could be postponed. A name that it has been known as a replacement for Morales could be Dominican Francisco Lorenzo. We’ll be reporting all the news on this situation.
Book review by Chris Cozzone
Go figure. Paul Upham comes out with a book celebrating great champions from Down Under, and nearly everyone featured fails to come out on top in recent bouts.
Michael Katsidis gets walloped by Juan Manuel Marquez on Nov. 27. On the same night, Sakio Bika loses to Andre Ward. A week or so later, Anthony Mundine gets pasted by little-known Garth Wood in what is being called one of the biggest Australian upsets ever. To top it all off, Vic Darchinyan finishes the streak of bad luck by losing to Abner Mares, last weekend . . . Click here for more
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.