firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Oscar: This is Canelomania
- UFC makes key change in Reebok deal
- Boxing Buzz
- Pacquiao Workout: 12 Days Out
- Canelo looks sharp and powerful in workout
- Verdejo poised to win first pro title
- Malignaggi in Khan-Algieri co-feature
- The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 4 - Episode Three Preview
- Massive demand KOs Pacquiao conference call
- Garcia, Szpilka on Spike undercard
- Tony Luis returns June 26
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
A reliable source indicates that Venezuelan former two-division world champion Jorge Linares could fight in La Guaira, Venezuela, on March 31 probably against Mexican Noe “Platanito” Bolaños (24-5-1, 16 KOs). Linares, who is hoping to land a rematch with Mexican Antonio DeMarco, the current WBC lightweight world champion in the summer, would be returning to the same city he faced Dominican Francisco Lorenzo in March 2010, the last big event for Venezuelan boxing. Promoter BoxTrack will also try to include other world title fights with current Venezuelan world champions Johan Perez (WBA interim super lightweight), Liborio Solis (WBA interim super flyweight) and Ogleydis Suarez (WBA interim featherweight).
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Mexican prospect Salvador Sanchez II (27-4-3, 15 KOs) returns Saturday against compatriot Mario Flores (10-7-1, 4 KOs) in a 10-rounder at the Sindicato de los Trabajadores del Metro in Mexico City Metro in an event presented by Boxeo de Gala and broadcast by Televisa. Sanchez II will defend his WBC Cabofe feathwerweight crown for the third time in his first bout of the year after eight ring appearances in 2011.
“I look forward to a good start in 2012,” said Sanchez II. “We are well prepared for good fights. I want to continue in my quest for a world title opportunity. I hope to do well in this fight and to try to fight again as soon as possible. “
By Przemek Garczarczyk
Photo: Boxing Bob Newman
In an exclusive Fightnews.com interview, highly respected international matchmaker Don Majeski talks about the new “Heavyweight Regeneration” boxing series, which will bring elite heavyweight contenders back to American boxing rings. “U.S. promoters decided that because there’s not a big American name in the heavyweight division, no fan following, there’s no point of doing events for heavyweights,” said Majeski. “A Catch-22 situation: Without heavyweight events, people are losing interest in this weight class which was so prominent for decades. This is why I’m so happy that Mariusz Kolodziej from Global Boxing, Jimmy Burchfield from CES, Frank Maloney who I know since his Lennox Lewis days and Andrzej Wasilewski from 12round KnockOut Promotions are working together to bring not one but a whole series of great heavyweight events to the U.S.”
The first event of the “Heavyweight Regeneration” series on March 24 in Atlantic City, will present the WBC International title defense 6’7 Mariusz Wach (26-0, 14 KOs) against 6’7 Tye Fields (49-4, 44 KOs), the U.S. debut of Great Britain’s new heavyweight star, 6’8 Olympian David Price (12-0, 10 KO) and 22-year old, but already getting a lot of attention from fans and boxing greats Artur Szpilka (9-0, 7 KO). (more…)
Report and photo by Przemek Garczarczyk
Well known Chicago trainer Sam Colonna is a happy man. The reason? He didn’t have to choose between being in the corner of hard-hitting WBO #9 ranked light heavyweight Andrew “Polish Prince” Fonfara (20-2, 11 KOs) or another of his proteges super middleweight Don “Da Bomb” George (22-1. 19 KOs). Previously, both fighters were scheduled to fight on the same day, March 17, George in New York’s Madison Square Garden Theater on an HBO show against another title contender Edwin “La Bomba” Rodriguez (20-0, 14 KOs) and Fonfara at UIC Pavilion in Chicago against seasoned veteran Byron Mitchell (29-9, 22 KOs) for vacant USBO title.
Fortunately, promoters were able to move Fonfara’s bout to March 16 and Colonna will be a very busy man, flying almost directly from Fonfara’s fight in the Windy City to New York City. Fonfara and George are currently sparring against each other and both are happy to have Colonna at their side. “Boxers always want to have people we know and trust close when the fight time comes,” said George. “It would be unfair for Sam to choose between me or Andrew.”
Report and photos by Francisco Salazar
Former bantamweight and super bantamweight contender Jose Aguiniga (31-0, 14 KOs) will return to the ring against Juan Ruiz (23-8, 7 KOs) on Saturday, February 25th at the Oceanview Pavilion in Port Hueneme, CA. The eight-round bout will headline a scheduled seven-bout “Comeback” card, presented by El Dorado Entertainment. Both Aguiniga and Ruiz, along with notable fighters on the card, were present at the El Dorado Mexican restaurant in downtown Oxnard to formally announce the card.
The fight card will be the first to take in the Oxnard-area in about five years. Promoter Armando Renteria is promoting the card and hopes to put on more shows the fight fans of Ventura County. (more…)
Once again the popular series of “Boxeo TELEMUNDO” returns to Florida’s Space Coast with a show this Friday, February 10th at the Palm Bay Community Center in Palm Bay, FL. Something “BIG” has been added to the show, undefeated prospect, WBA FEDELATIN and WBC FECARBOX Champion Luis “Big Thing” Ortiz (14-0-12 KO’s) of Cuba will face spoiler Epifanio Mendoza (32-13-1-28 KO’s) of Barranquilla, Colombia in a ten round bout for the WBO Latin Heavyweight Title.
In the main event, WBO Latino featherweight champion and #6 contender Orlando “El Fenomeno” Cruz (17-2-1-8 KO’s) of San Juan, Puerto Rico, will put his ranking and title on the line against WBC Mundo Hispano Champion Alejandro “Pique” Delgado (15-5-7 KO’s) of Ciudad Neza, Mexico in a bout scheduled for 12 rounds. (more…)
Fight Night Productions and Ker’s WingHouse Bar & Grill will present the first “WingHouse Fight Night” show of 2012 on Friday, February 10th, at the A La Carte Event Pavilion (4050 Dana Shores Dr., Tampa, FL 33634). This will be a special night of boxing, as Fight Night Productions will be dedicating the evening, along with a special 10-bell salute and a moment of silence, to the memory of Hall of Fame trainer, Angelo Dundee.
“I had the pleasure of meeting Angelo Dundee at my restaurants and at our boxing shows on numerous occasions,” said Crawford Ker, Founder and President of Ker’s WingHouse®. “He was a very endearing person, a great boxing trainer and an even better person. I’m proud to be dedicating our show to his memory.” (more…)
The contracts have been signed and filed with the IBF and tickets will go on sale tomorrow, Thursday, Feb 9th. Brooklyn will be the host site on Saturday, March 24th when Zab “Super” Judah fights in his native borough for the first time in his storied pro career vs. “The Iceman,” Detroit’s undefeated Vernon Paris. This is the mandated junior welterweight elimination bout for the right to become the number one contender in the IBF. Tickets for the bout, which will take place at the Aviator Sports and Event Center, located at Floyd Bennett Field, are priced at $200, $100 and $75 and may be purchased by calling (215) 765-0922.
The intimate Aviator has hosted several boxing events in the past, but this bout, to be televised as part of the new Fight Night Boxing Series on the NBC Sports Network, will be its biggest boxing event, by far. The non-televised undercard fights will begin at 7:30 p.m., the NBC Sports Network Fight Night broadcast will begin at 10 p.m. ET on Mar 24th. (more…)
The four fighters who will compete in 12-round bouts on February 18 on SHOWTIME at American Bank Center Arena in Corpus Christi, Texas, took part in a national media conference call on Wednesday. Here’s what they had to say…
Nobuhiro Ishida: “I didn’t expect to get a knockout against Kirkland. You never really expect that. I’m not sure about a knockout against Paul Williams, but I think I will get the win. I’m going to make it a very long night for Paul Williams.”
Paul Williams: “I’m excited to be given this opportunity and to be able to prove myself again. I love that because it’s just more motivation and that come February 18 I’m going to put on a helluva show for my fans and the people who aren’t my fans….I’m going to show my fans that I’m not done. They will always try and write you off but I will show them that I’m not done. Every time I get into the ring I try and make a statement.”
Gabriel Campillo: “I’m preparing everything with my coach and trainer Pablo Sarmiento to come up with a game plan to win this fight. I’m going to show on the day of this fight how fast I am and how hard I have trained for this fight.”
[on why he’ll win] “No. 1 is better physical condition and then more speed and quickness and then intelligence and smarts.”
Tavoris Cloud: “I just don’t give a damn. I don’t care how hard they train. I don’t care who their trainer is. I know I’ve trained harder than them and my trainer is better than theirs. They are trying to come and take something that people have tried to take from me several times. It’s like I’m defending my house and I’ve got thieves trying to break in. I’ve gotten pretty good at it. I can’t put it into words what I plan to do to my opponent. I’m going out there to win and put on a good show.”
Photo: Phil Soto
During a press conference on Feb. 8 at Casino Del Sol Resort, boxing promoter Showdown Promotions, in association with Top Rank Inc., announced the televised bouts on March 23 at 6 p.m. at the Casino Del Sol Resort Event Center. The event, called Firepower, will feature 25-year-old Las Vegas super featherweight Diego Magdaleno (21-0, 7 KOs), taking on heavy-handed Mexican, Miguel “Barreterito” Beltran Jr. (26-1, 17 KOs), out of Los Mochis, Sinaloa, for the NABF super featherweight championship.
Pictured above ar Magdaleno, his manager/trainer Pat Berry and former world champion Antonio Margarito. (more…)
Update: According to a source close to the promotion there is no verifiable independent report of Angel Hernandez having the medical condition claimed by Boxing 360. It is also known that Boxing 360 and Hernandez have been at odds since a June 2011 arbitration hearing when Hernandez unsuccessfully sought relief from a contract that runs through February 15, 2013.
First Derek Ennis, then Terrence Cauthen, now Angel Hernandez could fall out of Friday’s night’s main event against 2008 US Olympian Demetrius “Boo Boo” Andrade. Upon reading the report on Fightnews.com that his contracted fighter Angel Hernandez would be a late notice sub fighting Andrade this Friday on ESPN2 Friday Night Fights, Boxing 360 promoter Mario Yagobi, who has Hernandez under contract, released the following statement. (more…)
By Karl Freitag
Eric Gomez, Golden Boy VP and matchmaker, stated today that former world champion Paul Williams (40-2, 27 KOs) was the only fighter that would take on James Kirkland-conqueror Nobuhiro Ishida (24-6-2, 9 KOs). He also revealed that Kirkland “wasn’t too interested” in avenging his first round KO loss to the 36-year-old Japanese fighter. “When Ishida beat Kirkland, we went and we tried to make any fight we could and nobody wanted to fight Ishida. A lot of guys came back ‘no, he’s to tall, he’s difficult, he’s awkward,’ this and that, and Paul Williams is pretty much the only guy that stepped up.
“We tried so many things. We even talked to Kirkland about doing a rematch. He wasn’t too interested and that’s our own guy. But Paul Williams stepped up and said I want to fight Ishida. I don’t care who he is or who he beat, and I just want to commend Paul Williams for that.”
Williams and Ishida collide February 18 in the main event at the American Bank Center Arena in Corpus Christi, Texas. Unbeaten IBF light heavyweight champion Tavoris Cloud (24-0, 19 KOs) will risk his 175-pound crown for a third time when he faces Gabriel Campillo (21-3-1, 8 KOs) in the SHOWTIME co-feature.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Dominican Victor “Mermelada” Cayo (27-2, 19 KOs) will face former WBA/IBF/WBO lightweight champion Nate Campbell (34-9-1, 25 KOs) on March 24 at the Palacio de Los Deportes in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
“I’m focused for this fight and I expect great win against a recognized boxer like Campbell. I feel good fighting in my country and still wish to meet with Guzman but these things happen. I want to have a world title opportunity,” stated Cayo.
Yoan Pablo Hernandez (26-1, 13 KOs) has set his sights on a quick return after receiving some bad news earlier this week. On Saturday, the 27-year-old defended his IBF Cruiserweight Title with a points victory over Steve Cunningham. On Monday morning, a routine check of his left hand, which was still swollen, revealed that it was broken. On Tuesday, the Cuban then underwent surgery. “I want to be back as soon as possible,” Hernandez said. “I can still do running exercises. But I have to rest my left hand for seven weeks before slowly returning to full practice.”
Hernandez knocked down Cunningham twice in the fourth round. “That´s when it happened,” he added. “When I walked back into my corner, I felt that something was wrong. But in boxing it is not unusual to feel pain in your hands. And after fights it´s quite normal that the hands hurt. I am happy that I defeated a world-class opponent and gave the fans a great fight. I will be back as soon as possible.”
Star Boxing president Joe DeGuardia has announced that Angel “Toro” Hernandez (30-10, 17 KOs) has replaced an ill Derek Ennis for Friday’s night’s main event against 2008US Olympian Demetrius “Boo Boo” Andrade (15-0, 10 KOs) on ESPN Friday Night Fights at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. The headliner is a 10-round battle for the vacant NABO junior middleweight title. As reported by Fightnews.com yesterday, Ennis was forced to withdraw due to the flu. “We’re very fortunate to find a solid veteran like Angel Hernandez as a late replacement,” DeGuardia said. “He’s been in with some of the best and beaten the likes of Juan Carlos Candelo, Frankie Randall, James McGirt, Larry Marks, and Antwun Echols. We expect him to be a solid test for Demetrius.” Former World amateur champion Andrade – WBO #9, WBC & IBF #13 and WBA #15 – fights out of nearby Providence.
Undefeated junior welterweight prospect, WBA #15 Raymond “Tito” Serrano (17-0, 8 KOs), meets former New York State champion Kenny Abril (11-4-1, 6 KOs) in the 10-round co-feature.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
The new opponent for Argentinian jr welterweight contender Lucas Matthysse (29-2, 27 KOs) will be Mexican Angel “Arcangel” Martinez (15-1-1, 12 KOs), who replaces countryman Ivan Valle, who apparently could not get medical clearance at this time for a fight. The 20-year-old Martinez’ biggest fight was against former world title challenger Ricardo “Pelon” Dominguez, where he was knocked out in round three. In his last fight, he fought to an eight round draw with Geronimo Hernandez (15-21-1). Matthysse and Martinez will battle for the WBC Latino title and Intercontinental WBA light welterweight belts.
David Price’s promoter Frank Maloney has blasted Tyson Fury for vacating his British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles and preventing a fight against Price. Price became the mandatory challenger to Fury’s British belt when he won the English heavyweight title with a 73 second knockout of John McDermott and it had been hoped the fight would be made though Fury, dismissed as “Chicken Fury” by Maloney, has disappointed Team Price by vacating his titles.
“Chicken Fury was going to get the biggest pay of his career to date, and has let himself, his fans, his traveling community and most of all the boxing world down,” said Maloney. “This is why people are turning against the sport I love and again politics have ruled what a boxer does. The BBBofC (British Boxing Board of Control) have purse bids for a reason and this fight generated more interest than normal with all the top promoters in the UK bidding for it. (more…)
Hennessy Sports announced this morning that Tyson Fury has vacated his British and Commonwealth Heavyweight titles in pursuit of being a household name on his journey to become heavyweight champion. Promoter Mick Hennessy said “We have a great schedule in place for Tyson on Channel 5 and I’m not prepared to have that affected by other promoters, purse bids and titles. Fury vs. Price was a quality fight and in my opinion it should go out to the widest possible audience, that’s why I offered David Price £100,000 to fight Tyson Fury on Channel 5, which unfortunately was rejected by his promoter on Monday.” (more…)
By John Cannon
Photo: Rolando Salazar
Currently, Lyford native Eric Molina is training for the fight of his life as he will face Chris Arreola (34-2, 29 KOs), the number one ranked Heavyweight in the world in a 10-round title eliminator on February 18th as a part of the Paul Williams card on Showtime Championship Boxing in Corpus Christi. While many skeptics don’t think Molina (18-1, 14 KOs) stands a chance, there is one former Heavyweight champion who is doing everything possible to try and help the young Heavyweight pull off the upset. Oliver McCall (56-11, 37 KOs) came into town early this week and has been Molina’s primary sparring partner as well as assisting trainer James Gogue as a co-trainer. (more…)
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
The Honorable Mayor of Trenton, Tony F. Mack will present the dedication of the Ike Williams Recreation Center in Clay Street, Trenton on Wednesday , February 15, 2012 at 1pm. Guest speakers will be Lindsey E. Tucker of the International Boxing Federation, Ring 25 (Veteran Boxing Assoc), Peter Nozza, New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame, Henry Hascup, and New Jersey Commissioner, Aaron Davis. Fight film of Ike Williams will be shown and refreshments will follow. Ike Williams was born on August 2nd, 1923 and passed away on September 5th, 1994 He was born in Brunswick, Georgia and resided in Trenton, New Jersey. Ike won 127 fights and lost 24 with 4 draws. He scored 61KO’s. He was named Fighter of The Year in 1948. Ike stopped Juan Zurita in two rounds to capture the National Boxing Association lightweight title in 1945 and defended successfully against Enrique Bolanos, Ronnie James, Bob Montgomery, Beau Jack, Jesse Flores, Freddie Dawson. Williams lost the title to Jimmy Carter in 1951.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.