firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Weights from Panama
- UFC 179 at the scales
- Two NABF titles on the line in Pueblo tonight
- Oscar to officially announce Dec 6 card
- "Fights at the Fitz" returns this Saturday
- Former European champ Pat Barrett to promote first boxing show
- Mthalane to make first defense of IBO flyweight belt
- 143 lbs! Pacquiao already on weight for November 22 clash with Algieri
- Povetkin KOs Takam in 10; Chakhkiev crushes Fragomeni; Charr stops Grant
- Weights from Kissimmee, FL
- Weights from Hull, England
WBA heavyweight champion David ‘The Hayemaker’ Haye has branded rival titleholder Wladimir Klitschko a ‘coward’, following the Ukrainian’s decision not to unify the belts in a 2011 showdown. A bout between IBF and WBO kingpin Klitschko and Haye appeared close to completion earlier this week, but Wladimir instead decided on an April 30 title defence against Britain’s Dereck Chisora on Wednesday.
“We agreed to a date of July 2nd at a venue in Germany with both Sky Sports and RTL and everybody appeared happy with the deal,” said a bemused Haye. “We made a few concessions to remove past stumbling blocks and were happy to do so, as it finally looked like the fight would get made.
“Even through negotiations, though, it was clear Wladimir was looking for the coward’s way out. He would often come up with new obstacles and problems to overcome, and I never once sensed he fancied it.
“He refused to come to England, wanted to pick his own gloves, enter the ring second, box out of the red corner and demanded a German doctor. He also wanted his name to feature first on any promotional material ahead of the event. We bowed to each and every one of his demands. I didn’t want to potentially jeopardise anything this time around.” (more…)
The WBC Baltic heavyweight championship will be on the line when undefeated Polish star Mariusz Wach (23-0, 11KOs) faces Jonathan Haggler (23-3, 18 KOs) on February 19 at Essex County College in Newark, NJ. The 31-year-old Wach was a member of the 2004 Polish Olympic Boxing team and is on the fast track. Now trained by former three-time heavyweight champion Michael Moorer, Wach hopes to make 2011 his year to shine. The card will be promoted by Prize Fight and Global Boxing Promotions and telecast on Comcast and Fox Sports affiliates.
WBA heavyweight champion David Haye’s manager and trainer Adam Booth has ripped into IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko for opting to fight Dereck Chisora rather than a unification bout with Haye. “There were lots of people that know Wladimir really didn’t want this fight yet,” Booth told Sky Sports News. “It’s a shame. It’s embarrassing for boxing that the unification fight isn’t going to happen now because David’s bent over backwards. We’ve conceded to every single ridiculous demand they made.” (more…)
After harsh words yesterday between the camps of WBC mandatory challenger Odlanier Solis and WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko, Solis’ promoter Ahmet Öner wants to get negotiations back on track for the WBC-mandated heavyweight championship fight.
“Let’s forget about Krasniqi, Banks and Sturm,” he said. “They have nothing to do with our fight. I agree that the boxing business is getting harder and harder because there are not a lot of big names and superstars left and they are not easy to deal with. There’s no need to talk about other fighters when all we want is to secure a deal between Solis and Vitali. I apologize for bringing other names to the table. Sturm is a great champion and he is ready to fight any middleweight fighter in the world. It’s not that easy to make big fights when there are only very few big names left and they all have their separate deals in place.
“I have to admit that talk is cheap. Let’s just get this deal done. I want the fight, Solis wants the fight, so let’s do it. You can pay all the taxes in the world. I have no problem with that. Just make us a serious offer and we will take it. I accept that you win this first round as long as we will be the champions after the final bell. I want to see Solis and Vitali in the ring. I will stop running my mouth until the fight is over. You got the champion, we got the challenger. We meet in the ring and just see what happens. I can still run my mouth after the fight when Vitali will be busy collecting his bones. When we have the belt we can do a rematch or the “revenge of the brother” or whatever. Let’s stop talking and focus on the sport. May the best man win.”
Heavyweight Dereck Chisora was celebrating tonight after promoter Frank Warren confirmed he will fight world champion Wladimir Klitschko in Germany on April 30. The British and Commonwealth champion was left devastated when Klitschko pulled out of their December 11 clash after tearing an abdominal muscle in training. But Chisora never gave up hope that he would earn a second chance against the IBF and WBO titlist. And today the fight was sealed for the end of April. “This news is a fantastic late Christmas present,” said the north Londoner. “I always believed that I would fight Klitschko, and my faith has been repaid. I was a bit worried that he might try and fight an easier touch, but I think I’ve earned my opportunity. I was gutted when Wladimir pulled out of our fight just a couple of days beforehand. But now I’ve got another chance to take his titles away. He’s a great world champion, but his time at the top is well and truly up. My promoter Frank Warren has done a great job in getting me this opportunity because there was no guarantee Wladimir would fight me again after he got injured.”
A terribly upset and disappointed WBA/IBA light heavyweight champion Beibut Shumenov expressed his thoughts on the collapse of Saturday night’s unification fight against WBO titlist Jurgen Brähmer, who left Shymkent last night without informing or explaining why he has pulled out of “The Unification.” Shumenov is now without an opponent for this weekend. A determination later today will be made regarding whether Saturday night’s show will proceed with three boxers fighting under the KZ Event Productions banner: WBA #13 welterweight Ravshan Hudaynazarov (13-0, 11 KOs) vs. former Mexican welterweight champion Jose Luis “Chelin” Cruz (41-7-2, 33 KOs), welterweight Alexandr Zhyuravskiy Ahmedov (9-0, 7 KOs) vs. Ruben “Modern Day Warrior” Galvan (27-14-4, 10 KOs), and WBA #6 and Interim PABA light heavyweight Gayrat Ahmedov (15-0-1, 10 KOs) vs. three-time world middleweight champion William Joppy (39-6-2, 30 KOs).
Photos: Public Address
WBO light heavyweight world champion Jürgen Brähmer arrived back in Germany from Kazakhstan today at 9AM. He and BDB President Thomas Pütz were immediately rushed from Hamburg Airport by ambulance to the Asklepios Klinik in Hamburg St. Georg. Brähmer and Pütz both received infusions and their strength is slowly coming back according to Dr. Michael Ehnert. The pair had gone two days without food and suffered heavy fluid loss from diarrhea and vomiting. Extensive blood and stool examinations were performed and results are expected by tomorrow at the earliest. (more…)
Evander Holyfield (43-10-2, 21 KOs) will defend his World Boxing Federation heavyweight title against battled-tested veteran Sherman “The Tank” Williams (34-11-2, 19 KOs) in a 12-round championship fight January 22, headlining the “Redemption In America: The Journey Begins Now” Pay-Per-View Event, live from America’s resort — The Greenbrier’s Colonial Hall — in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
New Panamanian boxing promoter Best Box is looking to put on a mega show on February 19 at the Roberto Duran Gym in Panama City. The main event would be a WBA bantamweight world title clash between WBA super champion Anselmo Moreno of Panama and former WBA world champion Lorenzo Parra from Venezuela. Word is there are also plans to add two other WBA world title fights on the same evening.
On January 14, Best Box will stage an event at the Hotel Riu in Panama City featuring former world champions Roberto “La Araña” Vasquez and Rafael ‘El Torito’ Concepcion, former world title challenger Roynet Caballero and the prospect of the year candidate Julio ‘ El Kirikiki ‘Escudero in separate bouts.
Nathan Cleverly is hoping Jurgen Braehmer’s unification clash with Beibut Shumenov is rescheduled quickly – so he can take on the winner. WBO light heavyweight champion Braehmer pulled out of this weekend’s clash with WBA king Shumenov after being hit with a stomach bug. It’s a nightmare scenario for WBO Interim title holder Cleverly, who is desperate to get his hands on the full title. He was hoping to meet the winner of Saturday’s fight within months. Instead he may have to wait until later in 2011 for his opportunity – much to his frustration. (more…)
By Rey Colon – The Sport Press
Former world champion Eric Morel has begun training for his next fight and according to his father and trainer Cyril Morel, Eric is targeting the WBA bantamweight title that Koki Kameda recently won via unanimous decision against Alexander Munoz. “We’d like to fight in Japan for the title and win there,” he said. “Plant the flag in Japan, following in the footsteps of Samuel Serrano in the 80s when he became a boxing idol there. We want to do the same with Eric. We’ve already started training and are ready for whatever comes.” (more…)
Tacoma-based Brian Halquist who promotes the “Battle at the Boat” boxing series at Tacoma’s Emerald Queen Casino signed local heavyweight Vincent Thompson to a three year promotional deal on Tuesday. Thompson sports a 6-0 record and is a slick southpaw who likes to fight. He is managed/trained by Cal Thompson, Jack Stafford, and Sam DiTusa. (more…)
Hector “Machito” Camacho Jr.(52-4-28 KOs) has been added to the February 11th card at El Paso’s Don Haskins Center. He will face Mexican brawler Juan Astorga (14-5-9 KOs). Camacho Jr. commented: “I cannot wait to fight in El Paso again and I promise to bring a show you will not forget. I heard Astorga is promising a knock-out victory, but he better be careful what he wishes for.” Tickets for the Zeferino/Nino Bravo card are available at UTEP box office (915) 747-5234 or online at Ticketmaster.
Unbeaten El Pason Abie Han (11-0, 9 KOs) is scheduled to fight on January 22 at the Texas Station in Las Vegas, Nevada, for Top Rank Promotions. Abie will be fighting Fernando Castenada (7-5, 4 KOs), of Aguascalientes, Mexico and fighting out of Houston. Castenada is 6-1 in his last seven bouts, losing once by split decision. Han says he is excited about fighting for Top Rank, and hopes a good showing will form an alliance with the promotion company.
From walking out to the Octagon™ with your favorite fighter to having dinner with the lovely UFC® Octagon Girls, place your bids now in the “UFC Fight For The Troops” auction in anticipation of the “UFC Fight For The Troops” event live from Fort Hood, Texas on Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 9:00pm ET/6:00pm PT on Spike TV. The main event showcases two of the most dynamic lightweights in the world, Evan Dunham and Melvin Guillard.
Normally fireworks are synonymous with the Fourth of July. But, on Friday night, Feb. 11, 2011, Goossen Tutor Promotions will present a night of fistic fireworks at Bally’s Atlantic City that just might rival any summer evening of pyrotechnical entertainment.
In the SHOWTIME® main event of the evening on SHOBOX: The New Generation the undefeated WBA #1 Jr. Featherweight World contender, Rico “Suavecito” Ramos (18-0, 10 KOs), of Los Angeles, will look to take his next step toward a World Championship challenge in a scheduled 10-round contest against tough IBF #15 ranked, former world title challenger Alejandro Valdez (23-4-3, 17 KOs), of Ciudad Obregon, Sonora, Mexico. The telecast will air live at a special time of 11:30 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast). (more…)
Heavyweight Cristobal Arreola (29-2, 25 KOs) is desperate to regain respect and acceptance as a legitimate contender for a world heavyweight title. However hard-hitting southpaw Joey “Minnesota Ice” Abell (27-4, 26 KOs) is planning to ruin Arreola’s plans on January 28 at the Pechanga Resort & Casino in Temecula, California. “In my mind it’s a do or die fight for him and I expect that he will try and do more to get in shape for me,” said Abell, who will be taking a big step up in competition. “I cannot listen to all the negativity about Chris or else I might come in less prepared than I need to be. After all, he once fought for the world heavyweight title, so he’s the best opponent I will have faced in my career so far. (more…)
The IBF has ordered an immediate rematch between junior flyweight champion Luis Lazarte and Ulises “Archie” Solis of their controversial December 18 draw in Mar del Plata, Argentina. After a protest from Zanfer Promotions, the IBF reviewed the tape of the bout in which Lazarte repeatedly fouled Solis. Two judges scored it 113-113, with Solis ahead 117-109 on the third card. The rematch must take place within 120 days and representatives of both fighters have until February 3 to close the negotiations. Zanfer is hoping to promote the rematch in Guadalajara during the month of March.
Bernd Bönte, Managing Director of the Klitschko Management Group GmbH has commented on statements released earlier today by the Odlanier Solis Camp regarding negotiations for WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko’s mandatory defense against Solis. “I can tell you that the only issue [Ahmet] Öner has in the negotiations so far are tax issues,” stated Bönte.
“Regarding the matchmaking of the fight between Luan Krasniqi and Jonathon Banks, I can only answer that Jonathon is #6 of the WBC ranking and has so far only lost to Tomasz Adamek. And Luan is a former European champion and has fought for the world title against Brewster.
“I also don’t know how Öner rates his own matchmaking for Felix Sturm. Sturm’s next title challenger is Ronald Hearns who has never fought anybody and is not even ranked up until today. Hearns is #58 of the independent ranking!”
Courtesy of Jim Jenkins, Sacramento Bee
The IBF light heavyweight title elimination between Otis Griffin (23-6-2, 9 KOs) of Sacramento and Yusaf Mack (28-3-2, 17 KOs) of New York, scheduled Friday night at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Minneapolis, has been postponed to Feb. 4. The culprit is severe weather in Minnesota, impacting travel and some facilities. On the new date, the 12-round bout will shift to the Sheraton Hotel in Bloomington, Minn. The winner between Griffin and Mack, ranked sixth and seventh by the IBF, will become a mandatory challenger for champion Tavoris Cloud.
“It’s OK,” said Griffin of the fight being reset. “It just gives me a little more time to fine-tune my training.” Griffin is on a four-fight win streak, includiing an eighth-round TKO over former super-middle title-holder Byron Mitchell. Mack, meantime, has remained in the title hunt despite losing on a sixth-round TKO to former light heavy champ Glen Johnson early last year.
Undefeated Russian prospects Antov Novikov and Aslanbek Kozaev have been added to the January 28th at Chicago’s UIC Pavilion, it was announced today by Dominic Pesoli’s 8 Count Productions. Welterweight Novikov (18-0, 6 KOs) will battle Dashon Johnson (11-3-3, 3 KOs) in an eight rounder. Jr welterweight Kozaev (13-0, 5 KOs) will battle Hector “The Mongoose” Alatorre (16-13, 5 KOs) in a scheduled six. The card is headlined by a ten round lightweight battle between longtime Chicago fan favorite and former world champion David Diaz against Robert Frankel.
The Ultimate Fighting Championship® returns to Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. on Saturday, March 19 with the long-awaited title fight between UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and former champion “Suga” Rashad Evans. Featuring two of the sport’s most accomplished stars, the main event of UFC 128: SHOGUN VS. EVANS has all of the makings of an absolute title war. (more…)
After a promising start, negotiations between K2 / KMG on the one side and ARENA Sports-Promotion on the other side for the WBC heavyweight championship between Vitali Klitschko and mandatory challenger Odlanier Solis seem to have stagnated. “The offer we got from the Klitschko side are not what we have been expecting. In addition they don’t want to comply to any of our requests. We have made a counter offer but so far they didn’t respond to that. So I guess we’ll have to go to purse bid”, says Solis’ promoter Ahmet Oner. (more…)
It was announced today that ESPN Friday Night Fights will be presented at and broadcast live from the Fort Worth Convention Center Arena on February 4. Billed as SUPER BRAWL 2011, the event is scheduled just two days prior to the 2011 Super Bowl at Cowboys Stadium, in Arlington, Texas. The main event on the six-bout professional fight card will feature former world champion and current #8 world ranked jr middleweight Sergio Mora (22-1-2), taking on Fort Worth’s highly regarded Brian Vera (17-5). Mora is fresh off a draw with future boxing Hall of Famer, Sugar Shane Mosley this past September 18th. (more…)
Telefutura’s weekly “Solo Boxeo” telecast kicks off 2011 on Friday night at the Sport Center in Fairfield, California. The main event is an eight round clash between unbeaten middleweights Brandon Gonzalez (13-0-1, 10 KOs) from Sacramento, California and Lester Gonzalez (12-0-1, 6 KOs) from Havana, Cuba. The co-feature is an eight round welterweight clash between local hero Alan Sanchez (5-2-1, 2 KOs) and journeyman Cristian Favela (18-29-7, 9 KOs).
By Sam DiTusa
It is with the greatest sadness that I report the passing of boxing’s Bob Oleson from Portland, Oregon. Bob was a charter member of Boxing’s Northwest Hall of Fame and president and founder of CAM Boxing. Bob has thousands of friends in the sport and was the last of the “my word and hand shake are my bond” guys. Never dealing with contracts, Bob staged hundreds of fights in the Northwest for over 30 years, worked the corner of too many fights to count, and touched the lives of everyone he came in contact with. Bob received calls daily from fighters he worked with over the years, a tribute to how he did business.
A former veteran who actually served in all four branches of the military, recently Bob’s dream has been to stage a pay per view boxing show to benefit disabled Vets, a dream that will continue. Bob is survived by his sons and daughters and the many boxing fans across the country.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.