firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- UFC 179 Main: Brazil's Lone King Aldo Still Reigns Supreme
- Jose Ramirez, Andy Ruiz annihilate opponents
- Photos: Coyle destroys Katsidis; McDonnell stays unbeaten
- UFC 179 Prelims: Magny Gets Record-Tying Win
- Carman wins wild one
- Golota, Nicholson box exhibition
- IT'S ON! GGG Golovkin vs. Martin Murray
- Murray beats Spada to set up Golovkin showdown
- Butler outpoints late sub Garnica
- Results from Manchester, England
- WBC confirms Stiverne-Wilder agreement
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Upon his arrival in Managua, Nicaragua, former two-division world champion Ricardo Mayorga announced that he has signed a contract to challenge WBA super welterweight world champion Miguel Cotto, with the bout possibly landing in Las Vegas on March 12. Mayorga has also been mentioned as a possible challenger for WBA middleweight champion Felix Sturm on February 19 in Stuttgart, Germany. It was the first time Mayorga has been in his native country in nearly four years due to legal problems. “I dreamed for many months of returning to my country. I am very happy to return to Nicaragua, and I thank God, my mother, but most of all President Daniel Ortega for having supported me,” said the 37-year-old Mayorga, who in his first bout in over two years stopped Michael Walker in round nine Friday night in Miami.
In other Mayorga news, the boxer has flatly denied the truth of a Wikileaks cable that alleged that Mayorga agreed to publicly support Ortega and give a large portion of his earnings to the Sandinista National Liberation Front in exchange for making a 2004 rape charge go away. “Absolutely not true,” Mayorga stated.
IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute (27-0, 22 KOs) will make his SHOWTIME debut on March 19 against reigning Euro champion Brian Magee (34-3-1, 21 KOs) at the Bell Centre in Montreal. IBF super bantamweight champion Steve Molitor (33-1, 12 KOs) will defend against Takalani Ndlovu (31-6, 18 KOs) in the co-feature. They have previously met twice with Molitor winning both times. Super middleweight Edison Miranda (33-5, 29 KOs) has also been lined up to face local hero Renan St. Juste (22-2-1, 15 KOs).
By Craig Watt, Photo: Team Dib
World ranked featherweight Billy “The Kid” Dib (30-1, 18 KOs) contacted Fightnews today to confirm that Team Dib are ready to put a deal together to bring unbeaten WBA 126 pound champion Chris John (44-0-2, 22 KOs) to Australia. He stated, “It was music to my ears to hear that Craig Christian is prepared to negotiate a match with his long serving champion and I confirm that all of Team Dib are focussed to make this fight happen. It would be a great fight for the Australian boxing fans and we are confident of making it happen in 2011. Our only concern is the sanctioning of the fight by the WBA with Gamboa sitting in the mandatory position currently. I have a WBA #12 ranking currently so it should be possible as a voluntary defense for Chris John.” (more…)
By Robert Coster
Slowly but surely, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania’s junior welterweight Ronald Cruz(10-0, 7 KOs) is starting to draw the attention of prospect-watchers. In his last fight, Cruz registered a noteworthy result with a six round stoppage of (14-1) Jeremy Bryan, the two-time National Golden Gloves champion, who was considered the favorite in that fight. And, before that, Ronald had impressively beaten tough trial-horse Juan Ramon Cruz (16-8-2), one who had fought the likes of Anthony Petersen and Urbano Antillon. (more…)
By Dave Spencer / Fightnews Canada
WBC President Jose Sulaiman stated Sunday that while a rematch between WBC light-heavyweight champion Jean Pascal and Bernard Hopkins would be good for boxing, he personally was not going to order it. “It’s not up to me to order a rematch,” said the President Sunday from Quebec City. “That would be up to the WBC council.” Sulaiman seemed dismayed that remarks made privately were turned around so quickly to make a case for Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer to say he would “use our vast financial resources to sue the WBC and the Canadian Commission,” should an immediate rematch not be forthcoming. “It was a private conversation,” said Sulaiman of his words immediately after the fight, “I said though that for clarity, a rematch would be good and that I don’t think either boxer right now is satisfied…..It was a great fight, a possibility for fight of the year; I don’t want to spoil such a great event with controversy.”
After viewing the video tape, Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins has some new statements regarding Saturday night’s draw against WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal. “I knew if they could they take it from me they would and now that I have had the chance to review the fight on tape, I clearly know I won that fight,” said Hopkins. “Jean Pascal, his corner and all of the Canadians in the arena and on television know I won the fight too. The crowd was loud in the beginning but the silence was deafening as I dominated Pascal from the middle rounds all the way to the end of the fight. After the last round Pascal went back to his corner with his head and hands down. I am sure he is still hanging his head today to think he let a 45-year old man beat him up the way I did. If I were him, I would want to redeem myself and my reputation immediately after what happened Saturday night.” (more…)
Report and photo by Przemek Garczarczyk
Current top heavyweight contender and former light heavyweight and cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek (42-1, 28 KOs), decided that his next fight will be in his native Poland on April 16 in the “Spodek Arena” in Katowice.
“I know it will be Poland on April 16, maybe two hour drive from my hometown Gilowice, so it will be like fighting at home,” said Adamek. “I don’t know who I will be fighting – this time it is up to International Boxing Federation, they will decide my next opponent. To be perfectly honest, I’m not losing any sleep thinking about possible candidates because I will be ready everybody who is on the IBF list. 2011 will be a very important year for me as a heavyweight and I would like to have best possible position in IBF rankings before challenging for a world title. This fight will be televised on Polsat TV, my Polish television partner bringing millions in front of their TVs. April 16 fight will also be available live for my US supporters through PPV.” (more…)
Photo: Peter Frutkoff
The 24th annual RING 8 Holiday Event and Awards Ceremony attracted more than 400 people last Sunday afternoon at Russo’s On The Bay in Howard Beach, New York. Famed boxing color analyst and writer Steve Farhood accepted RING 8’s special award to legendary blow-by-blow announcer Nick Charles, who has been the voice of boxing on Showtime and Versus, for his inspiration to everybody involved in boxing, as well as for his outstanding contributions to the sport.
2010 RING 8 Honorees
Father/Son Award: “Smokin’” Joe Frazier and Marvis Frazier
Uncrowned Champion Award: “Sonny Lou Volpe & Lenny Mangiapane
Trainer of the Year: Tommy Gallagher
Lifetime Achievement Award: Lou Raino
Integrity in Boxing Award: Joe Dwyer
Ringside Physician Award: Dr. Ralph Bohm
Amateur Official Award: John Holden
Outstanding Service Award: Paulette Balog
Dedicated Service Award: David Yatkowitz
Prospect of the Year Award: Gabriel Bracero
In addition to Joe Frazier, other attending former world champion quests include Emile Griffith, Vito Antuofermo, “Neon” Leon Spinks, Iran “The Blade” Barkley, and Junior “Poison” Jones.
2008 U.S. Olympian Demetrius Andrade (11-0, 8 KOs) is still fighting January 7th at the Cox Pavilion in Las Vegas, but instead of facing unbeaten Sammy Gonzalez (7-0-1, 3 KOs) he will now take on replacement and Riverside, CA-based Alberto Herrera (7-1-1, 5 KOs).
Andrade and Herrerra share a common foe in the very tough San Diego based Chris Chatman (9-1, 4 KOs), who they each fought in front of their home crowds. Andrade handed Chatman his only career loss to date in a hard earned decision win in October of 2009. Herrera didnt fair as well as he was upset and TKO’d by Chatman in four rounds this past October for his first career loss.
By Phil Doherty
Photos: Sam Cohen
Say what you will about this past Saturday’s majority draw between IBO/WBC world light heavyweight Jean Pascal (26-1-1, 16 KOs) and Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins (51-5-2, 32 KOs). This much is clear: the 45-year old Hopkins still possesses the skills and savvy to challenge the elite of this division. If not for a single point on one judge’s scorecard, Hopkins would be the newly-crowned champion. The fact the bout took place in Canada-site of Pascal’s technical 11th round technical decision over previously unbeaten Chad Dawson-may be pure coincidence…maybe.
The fallout from the Hopkins fight centers on whether the WBC will order an immediate rematch between the two. Despite Golden Boy Promotions spokesman Richard Schaefer’s claims to the contrary, it appears Pascal will honor his contractual obligation to face Dawson next. HBO appears ready to put that fight on tap for sometime next spring pending Golden Boy’s legal dispute.
So where would the ageless Philadelphia warrior find his next challenge?
He need look no further than another reigning titlist in the division who brutally defended his belt only one night before in Miami: IBF world champion Tavoris “Thunder” Cloud (22-0, 18 KOs).Cloud walloped former super middleweight Fulgencio Zuniga (24-5-1, 21 KOs) of Colombia for twelve rounds in their contest Friday at the American Airlines Arena to win by unanimous decision. (more…)
Turkish boxing idol Sinan Samil Sam is in intensive care in Istanbul. The former two-time European heavyweight champion and WBC international champion vomited blood last Wednesday and was directly taken to the hospital. His doctor Dilek Oguz informed the media today that Sam’s condition is critical and that he urgently needs liver transplantation. “I called the hospital but couldn’t speak to Sinan directly,” said long-time friend, manager and promoter Ahmet Oner. “I wish him only the best and hope that he can overcome this very serious illness. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.”
The January 22 twelve-rounder between former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield and Sherman “The Tank” Williams at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, will be available on pay-per-view it was announced today. The card is being promoted by ARK Promotions and ticket/hotel packages can be purchased beginning at $575 per person.
European Union welterweight champion Luciano Abis (30-1-1, 14 KOs) and lightweight prospect Luca Giacon (14-0, 14 KOs) won their fights scheduled for six rounds Sunday night in Quartu S. Elena (Cagliari), Italy. Abis won by KO in the first round against Sergejs Malcevs (6-1-1, 5 KOs) while Giacon won by KO in round two against Istvan Nagy (15-7, 8 KOs). OPI 2000 and ASD BOXE CHERCHI promoted the show.
Team Sauerland will kick off 2011 with a world title doubleheader in Neubrandenburg, Germany on January 22nd. IBF Middleweight Champion Sebastian Sylvester (34-3-1, 16 KOs) will make a fourth defence of his title when he takes on Frenchman Mehdi Bouadla (21-3, 10 KOs). IBF Cruiserweight Champion Steve Cunningham will also defend his crown against mandatory challenger Enad Licina. “We are thrilled to kick off the new year with a big bang,” said Chris Meyer, Team Sauerland´s General Manager. “The fans in Neubrandenburg have seen many exciting fights and I am sure that both title clashes will be very entertaining. More than half of the tickets have already been sold now.” (more…)
By Francisco Salazar
Unbeaten lightweight Brandon Rios will fight for his first world title on Saturday, February 26th. However, it will not be against WBC champion Humberto Soto. Rios’ manager, Cameron Dunkin, confirmed to Fightnews that the unbeaten fighter from Oxnard will take on WBA champion Miguel Acosta at the Palms Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, NV. “We just finished the deal a few days ago,” said Dunkin.
Rios (26-0, 19 KO’s) was scheduled to face Humberto Soto, who defeated Urbano Antillon earlier this month in Anaheim, CA. However, because of the brutal beating both fighters gave to one another, Soto wants more time to recuperate. (more…)
By Craig Watt
Photo: Craig Watt
It looks like 2011 is going to be a busy year for WBA Featherweight champion Chris John according to his manager and trainer Craig Christian who spoke to Fightnews today from his gym in Perth, Australia. With a unification fight against unbeaten Cuban Yuri Gamboa in the works and a challenge from Australian IBF#5 ranked Billy “The Kid” Dib a possible option there are no shortage of challengers trying to blemish the unbeaten 44-0-2 (22 KO’s) record of the Indonesian fighter. The popular 31 year old John, known as “The Dragon” has been WBA champion at 126 pounds since 2003 and following thirteen successful title defenses is seeking a match up with IBF champion Yuriorkas Gamboa in his home country during the middle of 2011. On his impressive resume he already has the scalps of Juan Manuel Marquez, Derrick Gainer and Rocky Juarez to name a few. (more…)
Promoter Frank Warren says he has made an undisclosed multi-million dollar offer to his former fighter, WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (presumably through Golden Boy Promotions), to face his young star Kell Brook. Brook has lined himself up for a shot at the WBO welterweight title next year, but wants a fight with Khan first. Warren said, “Kell looked fantastic against Kotey and proved he is ready for the best in the world. Khan was in a hard, but exciting fight against Maidana, and if he’s serious about fighting in Britain next then a fight against Kell would be a logical fight to take. There is talk of him facing Floyd Mayweather which is nonsense and he should take up the big offer I’ve made to him to take on Kell. It’s a huge fight for the British public and one that they would want to see.”
By Dave Spencer / Fightnews Canada
Photo: Tim Snow – Hoganphotos/Golden Boy
Paulie Malignaggi (28-4 6KO) made his debut at welterweight and with his new Golden Boy promoters a successful one with a stoppage of former world title challenger Michael Lozado (36-7-1 29KO) at 2:33 of the sixth round on Saturday night. It was hard to figure at times what the game plan was at times for Malignaggi who faced a weaker caliber opponent than what he is usually is accustomed to. “It took me a little bit to figure that I’m at a higher level than this type of opponent,” said the Brooklyn fighter who scored his first stoppage since 2003. (more…)
WBC Caribbean Boxing Federation (CABOFE) light welterweight champion Jose Reynoso (13-3-1, 2 KOs) will make his 2011 debut on February 25th. The Riverside, California resident will meet Angel “Baby Boy” Flores (9-4, 3 KOs) of Las Vegas, Nevada. The ten round main event will take place at the Double Tree Hotel in Ontario, California. Reynoso is coming off of back to back impressive wins over unbeatens Aris Ambriz and Hector Serrano. Their combined records were 26-0-1 prior to fighting Reynoso. (more…)
By Robert Coster
An unbeaten record and a big heart were not enough for junior middleweight prospect Melvin Betancourt against the ring savvy of seasoned David Toribio on Sunday night in Villa Gonzalez, Dominican Republic. Toribio (18-10, 11 KOs), who has previously been in with the likes of reigning WBC middleweight world champion Sergio Martinez, as well as a “Who’s Who” of contenders including James Kirkland, Marco Antonio Rubio, Freddy Hernandez, David Estrada, David Lopez and Harry Joe Yorgey, proved that experience against quality opposition and general skills were what young Betancourt (now 20-1, 17 KOs) sorely lacks, scoring a brutal eighth round stoppage against the previously unbeaten fan favorite. (more…)
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Leading world championship referee Bruce McTavish has been the third man In the ring in over 150 title bouts and also worked several Manny Pacquiao fights. Fightnews spoke to Bruce in Kunming, China where he was doing an IBF Pan Pacific title bout and he commented about Pacquiao’s bouts with Oscar Larios, Fahprakorb Rakkiattgym and Arnel Barotillo.
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Leading promoter from China Liu Gang talks to Fightnews and tells of his promotional company, Zovi Promotions that was formed in 2003 and has now promoted over 40 shows. Liu is a former 1992 Olympic representative and now manages former WBC flyweight challenger Xiong Zhao Zhong. He is looking to promote a fight between IBF jr flyweight champion Luis Lazarte and Xiong Zhao Zhong in China in 2011.
By Joe Koizumi
WBA super-fly champ Hugo Cazares (32-6-2, 23 KOs), a veteran Mexican, will make his last work of the year here in Japan before celebrating Christmas as he will defend his belt against an ambitious Japanese challenger named Hiroyuki Hisataka (19-8-1, 8 KOs) in Osaka on this coming Thursday. Also in Japan is ex-WBA 115-pound ruler Alexander Munoz, Venezuela, who will face ex-WBC flyweight champ Koki Kameda in a quest for the vacant WBA bantam throne in Tokyo on December 26. The 31-year-old Munoz, who has been unbeaten in seven bouts here, arrived in Tokyo on Saturday. Reportedly Anselmo Moreno has elevated to super champion, so the regular belt of the WBA super-fly category is now vacant to allow Kameda and Munoz to compete to fill the vacancy of the championship. Kameda boldly predicts that he would become the first Japanese to win world belts in three different classes. Will he be greater than double-class champ Fighting Harada? No way.
By Boxing Bob Newman
While Boxing doesn’t have a “season” like so many other sports- baseball, football, etc., there are lulls during the year, especially for those fans that are relegated to whetting their pugilistic appetite by taking in the fights by watching on the tube. While ESPN’s weekly boxing coverage is on hiatus until the new year, and HBO and Showtime’s schedule has wound downfor the remainder of 2010, fans of the sweet science can still get their fix via “Tales From The Vault: A Celebration of 100 Boxing Closet Classics,” by Lee Groves. The 721 page tome is a comprehensive collection of what Groves believes to be some of the most thrilling battles in the ring, that have somehow slipped our memories. (more…)
By Kurt Wolfheimer
Undefeated lightweight prospect Carney “Beeper” Bowman (16-0, 7 KOs) was forced to go the distance to earn a hard fought six round majority decision victory over late replacement Jason Rorie (6-10-2, 3 KOs) in the main event of the Pro-Am card at the Hanover Armory in Hanover PA on Saturday night. The professional side of the undercard featured a unique co-feature as the two hardnosed fighters with less than enviable records went toe-to-toe as Mike “Strictly Business” Denby (3-8-3, 2 KOs) squeaked out a close unanimous decision victory over the always entertaining Aaron Anderson (1-10, 1 KO). (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.