firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Boxing Buzz
- Provodnikov-Castillo weights from Moscow
- Glazewski: Winning in Germany not mission impossible
- Solis vs. Thompson II rescheduled for January 24th
- Unbeaten Kielczweski stops Guerrero
- Enriquez Thanks Tijuana
- Fury-Chisora face off at final presser
- Oscar Molina Update
- Lucian Bute Update
- Photos: Provodnikov, Castillo, Rourke workouts
- Corey Anderson: A Student of the Game
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
Prizefighter returns later this month with former WBC bantamweight world champion Wayne McCullough among the entrants.Barry Hearn’s latest eight-man, one-night tournament will be at super-bantamweight and held at the York Hall in Bethnal Green, east London on Saturday, May 29. Belfast-born McCullough, 39, who now lives in Las Vegas becomes the third world champion to enter a Prizefighter event in the last few months. He follows in the footsteps of ex-WBA light-welterweight champion Gavin Rees, who won Prizefighter at the same weight, and former WBO heavyweight champion Herbie Hide, an entrant in Cruiserweights II last week. (more…)
Interview by David Hudson Jr.
One of the most exciting fighters in the UFC is welterweight Marcus “the Irish Hand Grenade” Davis. Blessed with terrific power in his hands, the former professional boxer has garnered rave reviews for his willingness to trade and deliver knockout blows. But, Davis possesses more than simply a powerful stand-up game, as his submissions of Paul Taylor and Paul Kelly attest . . Click here for more
By Ricardo Conde
IBF #6 bantamweight contender Abner Mares (20-0, 13 KO’s) of Norwalk, CA by way of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, will take on undefeated champion Yonnhy Perez (20-0, 14 KO’s) of Colombia for the IBF bantamweight title on Saturday May 22nd in the co-feature bout of “Once and Four All” which will be headlined by Israel “El Magnifico” Vazquez (44-4, 32 KO’s) taking on Rafael Marquez (38-5, 34 KO’s) at the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, CA. (more…)
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Elias Nassar, manager of WBC/WBA super flyweight champion Vic Darchinyan (34-2-1, 27 KOs), has contacted Fightnews to advise that negotiations for rematch with Nonito Donaire have collapsed. Nassar said the Donaire camp have failed to sign the contract after six weeks and they are now back to square one. Vic Darchinyan also stated he is disappointed in Nonito Donaire’s failure to sign the contract. “We signed the deal two days into talks,” said Nassar. “We were there waiting for Donaire to make up his mind on what he wanted to do. It’s easy to point the finger at who didn’t want the fight. It’s the party who doesn’t sign a contract.” (more…)
You’re busy training for your next fight. How are things going?
“I still hope that Audley Harrison will box me in the summer. I’m standing in the starting blocks. Since January I’ve been the mandatory challenger. I’m ready to go.
Harrison recently underwent surgery as you have probably heard.
“This was obviously not great news. I wish him a very speedy recovery. No one is making allegations, but I find it strange that he only had surgery three weeks after the fight. I also would have liked to see on fightnews.com photos from the hospital or with his arm in a sling, or X-rays or a medical report or something. That’s what Ruslan Chagaev did after his Achilles tendon tear. I found that good. ”
Do you trust Audley Harrison or not?
“I hope he is not kidding me and is really serious about this fight. Before thinking about the Klitschko brothers or someone else he needs to do his homework first. I don’t want to talk big. Simply for the purpose of clarity we must make the facts known to the fans. Again, I am the mandatory challenger. And the European champion has to box me. Audley do get well quickly! I want your belt. It’s nice that you’re basically ready to fight. So work hard in rehab and try not to skip any training sessions…”
And what if he’s not fit again?
“First I’ll go on the assumption that he will be. Otherwise I’m curious to see how the EBU will deal with the matter and I’m sure they’ll make a good decision. I’ll box anybody. I’m ready.”
Looks like the SUPER SIX showdown between Arthur Abraham and Carl Froch will take place on August 21. Both fighters have objected to fighting on the other man’s turf, so neutral sites in Switzerland are being explored. New York City had been suggested by the Froch camp, however the tournament contract specifies a location in a European time zone.
DiBella Entertainment recently inked unbeaten light heavyweight prospect Mark “TNT” Tucker. Tucker, 22, fighting out of Eldersburg, Maryland has amassed a 13-0 record with 7 KOs in his two year pro career.
Former IBF jr welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi, in the final stage of preparations for his May 15 showdown against WBA champion Amir Khan at the Theatre at Madison Square Garden, will hold an open workout for fans and media at 3:30PM today at the Evolution Boxing Gym in Brooklyn. The first 75 fans to arrive at the workout will receive a postcard advertising the May 15 event autographed by Malignaggi.
Happy Birthday to Fightnews.com feature writer Francisco Salazar, who turned 34 over the weekend. Francisco also recently celebrated his ten year anniversary with Fightnews. He is a fixture at ringside in Southern California.
By Alexey Sukachev
Upon hearing a recent verbal/video challenge from fellow cruiserweight contender Alexander Alekseev (19-1, 17 KOs), 2009 Russian Fighter of the Year Denis Lebedev (20-0, 15 KOs) was brief but solid in expressing his opinion about the possible crossroader: “Alex aus Hamburg, wir sind bereit für den Kampf!” (Alex from Hamburg, we’re ready for the fight!) Lebedev is ranked #1 by the WBO, #5 by the IBF, #13 by the WBA and #15 by the WBC. He is 7-0, 7 KOs, since coming back after a four-year long layoff. He’s trained by Valery Belov, managed by Vladimir Hryunov and promoted by Frank Warren’s Sports Network. WBO #2, WBA #3, WBC #7 and IBF #12 Alekseev suffered his lone loss in January 2009 being stopped by Victor Emilio Ramirez in the WBO Interim cruiserweight match-up. Promoted by Universum Box-Promotion, Alekseev was a member of Russian 2004 Olympic Team. He’s a former European and world amateur champion as well.
Jimenez Communications Inc. and Rafael Soto Comunicaciones announced today that the May issue of Boxeo La Revista will be available this week in Aguascalientes Mexico during the big boxing card “Latin Fury 14” that will mark the return of Antonio “Tony” Margarito to the ring. The digital edition of the magazine can be found at this link. The magazine which had been published as the official program of the “Latin Fury” boxing series is now available as a monthly magazine that covers upcoming fights, results of fights and reports on past boxing stars and the stars of the future. (more…)
WBA #1 middleweight Anthony Mundine has less than 48 hours to sign a contract to fight #2 rated Gennady Golovkin for the vacant WBA belt after Monday’s WBA purse bid in Las Vegas. Golovkin’s advisor Ivaylo Gotzev says Golovkin is willing to fight Mundine in his homeland. “We will fight Mundine on his home turf and win the title in Australia if he decides to show up,” stated Gotzev. “We don’t care if we fight in his backyard. Let his family be the judges. When Gennady Golovkin hits him with either hand, nothing else will matter. He will knock Mundine out!”
Preview by Brady Crytzer
Their first meeting was one of the most controversial of 2009. After five brutal rounds it appeared as though the challenger had done enough to best the unbeaten champion. The judges didn’t agree. In an unusual circumstance, the fallen challenger Mauricio “Shogun” Rua was granted an immediate rematch against UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida. Saturday night’s main event will feature two warriors seeking different types of respect. For the challenger, it’s vindication. For the champion, redemption. Let’s take a look at a rematch of one of last year’s best as Machida takes on “Shogun” at UFC 113 . . . Click here for more
Roberto “La Amenaza” Garcia equaled the strength record of the San Marcos Fair today. Garcia took four swings at the Tecate Test Your Strength Game, swinging a sledge hammer in front of hundreds of fans. After registering scores of 96, 97 and 99, “The Amazing” Garcia wound up for the record breaker, scoring the year’s first-ever 100. What followed was even more incredible. The game literally had a seizure — shimmying and shaking before the screen went black. “The game gave the fair goers a preview of what my man Roberto Garcia will be doing to Antonio Margarito on Saturday,” stated Eric Brown, who trains Garcia with Freddie Roach. Click here for more photos.
In what turned out to be a very huge event, three-time world champion Antonio “Tony” Margarito was welcome by hundreds of fans for his public workout today in Aguascalientes. The “Tijuana Tornado” trained for 40 minutes under the hot sun in the “Tecate Box Tour” ring before signing autographs and taking pictures with fans or over an hour.
“I can really feel the support of the fans here in Aguascalientes. And I have promised them a great fight. I can’t wait to get into the ring Saturday night,” said Margarito, after the workout in the site of the San Marcos Fair. Click here for more photos plus a full report
In his weekly “Hook to the Liver” column published in El Universal, WBC President Jose Sulaiman commented on the decision of Floyd Mayweather and Shane Mosley to not fight for Mosley’s WBA title to avoid paying the sanctioning fees.
“…it was for me a humiliation and a threat to all world boxing institutions, which are who open the doors to all boxers from their very beginning, bringing them into the world ratings, to give boxers the opportunities to win world titles that lead them to fame and glory,” said Sulaiman. “They enjoy it for a while to fall next into the paws of the giant TV corporations and some promoters, once that boxers have become the top of the cream, taking away the merits and kicking in the behinds of the world sanctioning bodies, once they don’t need them any more, while those organizations continue working, through the good and the bad, to bring more boxers to the top, to see again the same lesson be repeated once and again. (more…)
One day before America watches fireworks to celebrate their independence, the biggest heavyweight title fight ever will go off in Las Vegas as Ultimate Fighting Championship® heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar returns to defend his heavyweight championship against interim title holder Shane Carwin at UFC® 116: LESNAR vs CARWIN, live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Saturday, July 3. (more…)
Don King Productions has warned an MMA promoter to cease and desist promoting former world champion Ricardo Mayorga to avoid legal action. DKP says they have a valid promotional contract granting the right of exclusive representation of Mayorga and any outside dealings with the three-time world champion constitute tortious interference. Mayorga is planning to make his MMA debut this month.
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Australian boxing trainer Bobby Mayne has published a boxing manual titled “The Art of Boxing,” which has been endorsed by none other than the trainer of Manny Pacquiao – Freddie Roach. ” I like the title of this training manual because it is an accurate description of the sport of boxing,” said Roach. “This comprehensive training manual is a valuable teaching aid for boxers from novices to top level professionals because it covers different aspects of the training from the important fundamentals of the sport, how to apply these skills correctly in sparring and competition, and to implement a training program to included fitness and conditioning which is vital for a boxer preparing for a bout. The manual will also prove to be valuable reference tool for coaching boxers.” For more information, click here.
ESPN2 will televise the May 28 clash between comebacking former world champion Éric Lucas (39-7-3, 15 KOs) and Librado Andrade (28-3, 21 KOs) at the Pepsi Colisee in Quebec City. “When we decided for Eric Lucas to fight in Quebec City, one of our objectives was to bring in an American network to cover the bout. We contacted ESPN, with whom we have worked with in the past, and they accepted our invitation. They were very impressed with how beautiful Quebec City is during their site survey last week” mentioned promoter Jean Bedard. (more…)
By Dave Spencer / Fightnews Canada
The IBF Super Middleweight Elimination bout between #2 contender Jesse Brinkley (35-5, 22 KOs) and #4 rated Sakio Bika (28-3-2, 19 KOs) will not take place on May 28th in Quebec. InterBox received a letter from the IBF early Tuesday morning stating that Brinkley was not able to train for the last few weeks due to what seems to be a bad flu, and has only been cleared recently by his doctor to commence training.
The announcement fuels speculation that one or the other, Brinkley or Bika, will become the opponent for Lucian Bute when the IBF super-middleweight champion returns home to Romania to fight later this summer in July. Bute who is without an opponent for his homecoming is expected by many to fight both fighters instead of waiting for the elimination fight to be rescheduled. Bute has already posted a win over Sakio Bika in an IBF title elimination fight in 2007, and while the Australian based boxer has rattled off six straight wins since that time, isn’t thought of to be a big draw if the two squared off again in Quebec. Interbox had hoped the Romanian fight for Bute would appeal to HBO and Bika is on most people’s top-ten list at 168 pounds.
Texas toughman Roberto “La Amenaza” Garcia has been working with Freddie Roach and Eric Brown, is in his final days of training before his Saturday night rumble with three-time world welterweight champion Antonio Margarito. Margarito will be making his 2010 debut during Cinco de Mayo weekend, in a 10-round super welterweight rumble against Garcia, headlining Latin Fury 14. Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Zanfer Promotions and Tecate, the four-bout Latin Fury 14 will be broadcast Live on Pay-Per-View this Saturday beginning at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT, from Aguascalientes, Mexico, which will be celebrating the San Marcos Fair.
“This is a big fight which is why I left my home in Texas to work with Freddie Roach at the Wild Card in Hollywood, California,'” said Garcia. “I had six great weeks of hard training and unbelievable sparring. Freddie had me in the ring with Angulo and other great fighters. I am ready to get it on in the big bullring in Aguascalientes and play matador to Margarito.” (more…)
WBC middleweight champion champion Sergio Martinez is presented with his new world championship green belt by WBC president Jose Sulaiman in Mexico City. Martinez seized the title on April 17 dethroning long time champion Kelly Pavlik in Atlantic City.
On May 14th, Star Boxing returns to the Paradise Theater in the Bronx, when it presents its tenth installment of the popular “Punchin at the Paradise” fight series. The show is being co-promoted with Golden Boy Promotions and will be broadcast live on TeleFutura’s, “Solo Boxeo Tecate”. The evening will feature Adrien “The Problem” Broner (14-0, 11 KOs), Mike “The Artist” Perez (7-0, 3 KOs) and Yathomas Riley (8-0, 6 KOs) in separate bouts. Tickets are $100, $50 and $30. Call 718-823-2000.
Veteran heavyweight Maurice “Sugar Moe” Harris, winner of the “2002 Thunderbox Heavyweight Tournament,” has rededicated himself to boxing with a new promoter, Boxing 360, as well as a new head trainer, former world title contender William “Bo” James, now in his corner. Harris (23-14-2, 10 KOs), fighting out of New Jersey, has already fought three times in 2010, one less than his total during the previous six years, which included a stretch when he was inactive for 2 ½ years. Winning all three of his 2010 fights by decision, Harris defeated Billy Zumbrun and 7-footer Julius Long in 6-rounders, followed last month by Robert Hawkins in 8 rounds. (more…)
One week before his May 28 showdown with Rob Calloway, former WBO heavyweight champion Shannon Briggs (49-5-1, 43 KOs) will look to notch his 50th career victory on May 21 against Dominique “Diamond” Alexander (19-8-1, 9 KOs) at the Capitale Ballroom in New York City. The event will be the first promoted by Empire Sports and Entertainment. The co-feature will be the pro debut of light heavyweight “Irish Seanie” Monaghan, a Golden Gloves champion. Also scheduled are undefeated lightweight Michael “Baby Face” Faragon (10-0, 4 KOs), undefeated super middleweight Badou Jack (4-0, 3 KOs) and welterweight Hastings “Sting” Bwalya (2-0, 2 KOs) in separate bouts. Tickets are $50, $150 and $200. Call 212.810.6193.
By Chris Perry
Following their debut show in Hampton Roads last month, promoter Jack Fulton’s International Championship Boxing Knockout Series returns to the Norfolk Scope Area in Norfolk, Virginia on May 28 with a double main event featuring former WBO Heavyweight Champion Shannon Briggs and light heavyweight Daniel Judah. “We’re excited to be back,” said Fulton at the May 3 press conference held at the Scope arena’s Showcase restaurant to announce the event. “Boxing has a home right here in Norfolk and ICB is proud to be the company that is bringing it to you.” More plus photos…
Today in Aguascalientes. Antonio “Tony” Margarito and his opponent Roberto “Amenaza” Garcia shared the air waves during the highest rated radio in the city, Info Linea with Jose Luis Morales. Click here for a full report and more photos.
By Dave Spencer / Fightnews Canada
With the news of cruiserweight Steve Cunningham’s recent signing with Sauerland Event, negotiations are moving quickly in a showdown with Contender winner Troy Ross for the vacant IBF cruiserweight title. A proposed purse-bid set for this Thursday will likely be averted as a date of June 5th in Germany has been put forth and will likely be accepted by Group Yvon Michel, promoter for Ross. “We’re awaiting the proposal in writing, but if all is in order, I see it being accepted,” Michel told Fightnews. “Talks went really well and they were very professional.” The IBF had ordered the Cunningham-Ross fight when things fell through on Cunningham meeting Matt Godfrey earlier this year.
Story by David Hudson Jr.
Matt Mitrione looks to go 2-0 against former fellow UFC The Ultimate Fighter contestants when he faces former Internet sensation Kimbo Slice at UFC 113.
Mitrione knocked out Marcus Jones at TUF finale in December 2009 to earn his first official professional MMA victory. Now, he looks to take out the well-known Slice . . Click here for more
By Ricardo Conde
Talented super featherweight contender Argenis Mendez (15-1, 9 KO’s) of the Dominican Republic, under the watchful eye of former junior lightweight champ, Robert Garcia in Oxnard, CA, will take on Martin “El Brochas” Honorio (28-4-1, 14 KOs’) of Mexico on Saturday May 8th in the co-feature bout of “The Weight is Over” which will be headlined by Paul “The Punisher” Williams (38-1, 27 KO’s) taking on Kermit “The Killer” Cintron (32-2-1, 28 KO’s) at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA, Williams vs. Cintron will be televised by HBO World Championship Boxing. The 23-year-old Mendez will face Honorio in a 12 round bout in the super featherweight division which is being presented by Goossen Tutor Promotions, in association with DiBella Entertainment. Click here for a full report and more photos.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.